IMDb > Action Hero Makeover (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Action Hero Makeover (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Gil Gerard undergoes the Mini-Gastric Bypass with Dr. Rutledge in Las Vegas

Author: (drr@clos.net) from United States
13 January 2007

TV's "Buck Rogers," Gil Gerard, undergoes the "Mini-Gastric Bypass" to shed 140 pounds.

The diabetic heavyweight former TV hunk weighed in at a whopping 350 pounds with associated heart failure when doctors told him he was morbidly obese - and they suggested life saving Mini-Gastric Bypass surgery with the pioneer of the MGB, Dr. Rutledge in Las Vegas Nevada.

The 66-year-old actor, who played Rogers on TV from 1979 to 1981, agreed to let Discovery Health channel cameras follow his operations and subsequent progress.

The story shows the star prior to surgery, seriously ill and debilitated by his obesity and then follows him through the operating room and home the following year as he is transformed into his former self.

Fellow Arkansas friends former president Bill Clinton and Governor Mike Huckabee join Gerard for part of the Discovery special to discuss the danger of obesity in America

I'm so proud of Gil

Author: creepette from United States
11 January 2007

I watched the Action Hero Makeover last evening, and I was so happy to see that Gil chose to take charge of his life by having gastric bypass. As someone who also struggles with their weight, seeing someone who was a big part of my childhood have the same struggles did a lot to inspire me. While I have chosen not to have surgery, and am seeing wonderful results through diet and exercise, I applaud Gil for doing what he needed to do to get his health back. It's good to see him healthy and active again.

Try to catch this moving story on Discovery whenever it shows again. Gil's transformation in one year is tremendous! I wish him many years of health and happiness.