Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Page 5 of 62: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

What were they thinking.

Author: irishsoul from United States
23 April 2011

OK, watched Harry Potter's Deathly Hallows Part 1 last night. All I can say is, someone forgot to pay the light bill, it was a very dark movie. We missed almost half of it due to the darkness. You can see some movement, but you sure can't tell what is going on. We thought it must have been filmed in a cave.The parts we did see were good. Good acting as always, but it looked like Ron Weasley was working with 2 black eyes most of time. I don't understand why anyone would want to film a movie this way. It was almost like they were ashamed of the film, so darken it. We have purchased every Harry Potter movie and were extremely disappointed in this one. Hope Part II you will be able to see the whole movie, not just part of it.

so bad my eyes are about to bleed

Author: ll_cool_tap from Gothemburg/Sweden
3 April 2011

I'm gonna keep this short since there's not really much to say. I can't say I'm a fan of the previous movies in the series, nor the books actually (and I really really do love fantasy) but the latest segment in the series must be one of the slowest paced movies I've ever seen, and it gave me absolutely NOTHING! well, thats a lie, it gave me more than 2 hours of building up rage, why the hell did I put myself through this?

well, anyhow, I'm pretty upset left here wondering "how the hell can u make a shitty movie like this trying to get people to pay to watch it?" 'cause there actually aren't anything in this movie, at all, making it worth a watch (and lucky me, I didn't pay at all).

instead of giving these turds of filmmakers one single dime, just go watch an old school classic like Willow or something instead. this is NOT worth the time (and all those positive reviews are mainly because of one thing: Hollywoods usual brainwash of its audience)

well, this was all written in anger so the grammar and spelling is probably as shite as the movie itself was and for that, I apologize

So boring it hurts my eyes!!!!!!

Author: Mario J Ramirez from Mexico
24 March 2011

Well how do we start?

This film contains great values, such as the photography and... the photography... nothing else.

This film moves by slow hard taking and non exciting steps. All that happens is you see the main protagonists suffer and wander around for nearly 3 hours!!!! I know fans are expecting a dignifying adaptation to the best selling book, however translating the book to script phrase by phrase was too much.

The film falls for other several stuff, starting with the performances, they really don't improve at all and all we get is the same wooden, stiff expressions we've seen since 2001. Then we get the script treatment, it's just a translation from the book! The story is not meant to be two separate films but a 6-hour-long feature (even Peter Jackson handled himself to give each part of LOTR trilogy its own climax). However this joke of a film doesn't care for the development of the argument or anything else. Without part 2 it's nothing but a boring sequence of scenes with no goal at all.

I really expected a much more fun film, however this one kicks the bucket. By some hard, well planned edition job they could have saved ourselves more than an hour of boringness (and even one film maybe).

All in all, this film is proof that a darker sequel or a faithfully written book adaptation not necessarily give as a result a good movie.

Sadly the poorest in the series. Proof they dragged this into two parts to make cash

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
20 February 2011

I love the Harry Potter films. I have never read the books and probably never will. The films have been breathtaking, brilliant, beautiful, with one of the greatest ensemble casts I have ever seen. They didn't just play their roles but single handedly embodied them. So I was excited and sad to see this second last instalment of the last great fantasy epic. How disheartening to discover that this was nothing more than a forced first part to the two part finale to squeeze more money out of the franchise. 95% of all the characters that made this series incredible are gone. The action, special effects, and brilliant fantasy is practically nil. I read several reviews on IMDb and some loved it and many hated it and the ones who hated it said the same things I thought about it. The starring cast spend the entire film 'warping' out of trouble and into forest. "Harry Potter goes camping" as one reviewer called it. The amazing supporting cast from previous instalments get virtually no time on screen and the entire 2 1/2 hour film could have been summarized into a half hour before the final film. I can barely summarize how disappointed I was in how they created this filler film.

The three original stars return and are fortunately as good as ever. The thing that holds this sub-par entry together is bringing back our favourite characters. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint are in full form. The best part of the film is the continuing and growing relationship between Grint and Watson's Ron and Hermione. The rest of the cast are as good as they have ever been. The cast is not, and never has been the issue as I still stand by previous statements by me that this is the finest cast in a film series ever. They truly breath life into this series. Unfortunately the supporting cast shows up for barely minutes. The amazing Robbie Coltrane has less than five minutes as Hagrid, in what could have an A+ addition to the cast, the amazing Bill Nighy spends five minutes on screen as the Minister, Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter, and even the amazing big bad Ralph Fiennes is so sadly underused. The Harry Potter franchise has always been as much about Hogwart's School and the teachers as any other part of it and for Deathly Hallows every aspect of that is gone and instead you are left with teleportation to the same forest again and again.

I'm wondering if its a coincidence that the series has been on a bit of decline since director David Yates took the helm. It could also be pointed out that by the time you hit the fifth instalment of the series its hard to keep things fresh but I feel like its more than that when it comes to Harry Potter. Two major plot points happen in this film with the death of two characters and it happens so quickly and with such little fanfare that it feels unemotional. Honestly, I think you could literally skip right over this instalment and miss out on nothing. Its really hard for me to write a review like this because I do love this series and I want to re-iterate this cast is amazing as always which is why I'm scoring this a 6 as opposed to a 2 or 3 which is what the story is worth which is downright side when the entire series thus far has been made up of films worth 8-10/10 easy. This one was a stumble and let's hope they can finish the series worthy of what it is!! 6/10

FINALLY! Yates gets it!

Author: ridiculionius from Canada
21 December 2010

Having been a huge Harry Potter fan for the past 10 years (I finished the 2nd book just before the 1st film came out), my relationship with the films has been rather rocky. The first two, I thought, captured the whimsical essence of the first two books. The third managed to make itself the director's own without taking away from the original novel. From "Goblet of Fire" on, however, the HP films began to go downhill. And once David Yates signed on, I began to lose faith in the art of adaptations.

The 5th, 6th, and 7th Harry Potter books are my top 3 favourites in the series (not in that order, mind you), and after the butchered story & characters that made up "Order of the Phoenix", I wanted to die. Yates had taken the book and made it his own, all right... but not in a good way. He turned "OotP" into a self-indulgent montage of Harry's angst. He cut all the important back-story and information in "Half-Blood Prince", and turned it into a romantic comedy with magic. The man simply didn't understand that, in order to make an adaption good, one must first and foremost please the FANS.

But, hallelujah, with "Deathly Hallows", the man finally got it! Capturing the grit and dark tone of the novel without focusing on the angst as he did in Movie 5, Yates' latest film has managed to stay (thankfully) close to the book. Obviously, some things were cut - but considering that most of the novel's first half consists of strategies, flashbacks, and repetitive hiding out, this really isn't an issue. And taking into consideration how much Yates had to throw in last-minute due to their absence in the other films (Mundungus Fletcher, Bill & Fleur's relationship and wedding, additional Horcrux information, etc.), the 2-and-a-half hours they had were put to extremely good use.

My beefs were petty, few, and far between. First among them is the already infamous dancing scene between Harry and Hermione. It irritated me at the same time that it entertained me, only because it was pointless and only served to give pathetic hope to a ship that will never sail (seriously, all the directors seem to be Harry/Hermione shippers). My second irritation actually has a name - and that name is Bonnie Wright. Ginny never quite did it for me in the books, but at least she had a personality; Wright plays the snarky spark-plug like so much dead wood. As a result, we care just as much about her (and her relationship with Harry) as we would any random extra. Luckily, she doesn't have that much screen time in Part 1.

All technical things aside, when you get right down to it, I'm just relieved. Relieved that David Yates finally gets it - with something as widely-loved as the Harry Potter franchise, one cannot screw around. The director of an adaption has an obligation to the fans of the original work - and Yates has FINALLY acknowledged that obligation in "Deathly Hallows: Part 1". If you're a fan of the books, or even if you're not, you'll love it!

Not all that good ...possible spoiler...............

Author: grotee from United States
15 April 2011

I was disappointed in this movie. What happened to the wonderment and delightfulness of the Harry Potter Series. This turned out to be a sad dark slog through pain and suffering. Very little cheerfulness. I almost bought the DVD but after renting and watching, no need to watch again like the other series. I would never want my children to watch this movie due to multiple disturbing scenes. There is good action and special effects like the other movies, but I was left with a sense of dread after watching. The magic was gone from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part one. Let's hope they get it back in part 2. I realize anyone reading this review will say that the movie had to hold true to the book or the book was much better.

Period Drama Slow

Author: Dandy_Desmond from United Kingdom
12 April 2011

I won't go into the story as there is too damn much to go through and anyone watching this film that has not watched the first 6 is wasting their time anyway.

So the first part of the final part is basically the first half of the book. Director David Yates I believe has done a fine job so far, however he must have taken the job of directing the final part of the story on the basis he does as he is told by splitting it in 2 and basically filming the book.

What I have liked about the films so far is that they have branched out and cut all the excess fat from the novels and were entertaining. I believe the first two Harry Potters are the weakest of the movies as they simply filmed the whole book. I'm afraid this has what has happened with Deathly Hallows - its a long, long slow boring movie. Almost a period drama in its solemn and serious face.

I saw it in the cinema and instantly disliked it - my brother has now bought the blu ray so I gave it another chance and I'm afraid its still as slow and dull as I remember. Important moments like the death of hedwig are simply passed off and the story moves on without a moments tension, drama or emotion. It just feels like it doesn't get out of first gear, the movie is in a trance - you wait for something, anything interesting to happen and it just doesn't.

The big mistake was splitting it in two and filming everything that was in the book. If I want all that I'll read it again I don't have to sit through 2 and a half hours of people walking about in a forest and field to get to the end.

As I watch the series of Harry Potters now on blu ray this will be the film I get to and think urrghh i have to sit through this to get to the very end. I find that really annoying as so far all the movies are entertaining. Even the first two which I think are quite weak are at least entertaining, Deathly Hallows is not, its very serious, very stoic and very very dull.

Having said that the production values and acting are all very good as usual but its just a shame they had to drain every last drop out of the cash cow and almost ruin the series.

Well I'm boring myself now so I'll switch off.

Majorly boring... I fell asleep.

Author: Wim van Dijk from The Hague, Netherlands
10 April 2011

I have never really been a huge fan of the Harry Potter franchise. I never read the books, but I did see all the movies so far. I didn't think of them as super or great, but not bad either. I would say, to me personally, they all hover around a 7.0.

However this last 7.1 HP movie was really terrible. I am glad I did not pay for it (borrowed it) because what a ripoff it would have been if you paid money for this.

I just turned it off after 1,5 hours after the whole woman snake scene... I just couldn't care to watch it further anymore. This movie is so slow, so boring, so uninteresting.... I don't see how even the fans could like this. I actually fell asleep on the couch during this movie, which is a personal first for me. Definitely the worst in the series... if you haven't seen it yet, don't bother. You have been warned :)

Brutal to those who never read the books

Author: Green_Saturn from United States
11 December 2010

Firstly, the only reason I saw this was because, some way or another, I have seen all the other films in this series. I never read the books; I tried but found them mind-numbingly boring. I am not one for fantasy wizards in England.

Why is everyone acting like Daniel Radcliffe is God's gift to the earth? He has two faces in this entire film: angry and bored. Ugh. Ron isn't much better, and he looks a lot less disheveled in the previous films. He knows what shampoo is, right? Hermione wasn't as bad; Emma Watson is clearly a better actor than her co-stars. That being said, she deserves a better role than the girl-from-the-first-movie-who-was-really-dorky-that-we-all-think- Harry-is-going-to-sleep-with-by-the-end-of-this-film.

I felt bad for all the Potter fans around me. I kept laughing at parts that aren't meant to be funny. They kept glaring at me, but I couldn't help it! The director obviously made no effort to explain any Potter-isms not explained in the previous movies. I literally sat through two and a half hours of mindless mumbo-jumbo. Why can't Voldemort (Ooooh! I said 'Voldemort'! Are the death eaters going to kill me? No. They aren't. Voldemort isn't real.) just hire some pimps to shoot Harry? And what's with all the wizards hating 'muggles'? I think it's pretty cool being normal!

The CGI wasn't terrible and I had a good laugh. I guess I'll see the last in this series because otherwise I'll feel like I wasted all this time watching the previous ones. Do NOT put yourself through this if you haven't read the books!

The latest 'Potter' suffers from poor source material

Author: TombRaider09 from Turku, Finland
8 December 2010

Although I would consider Rowling to be my favorite author, there is a tragic flaw in the last book of the Potter series, 'Deathly Hallows', which is even more apparent when adapted to film. I call it "the treasure hunt jogging syndrome", which can be fatal to any story and it is diagnosed mostly in adaptations, especially from fantasy books, even more so if the source material is a video game.

What is this syndrome? It occurs when the story of the film has characters who jog through the material from one place to another searching for certain items along the way. But the diagnosis does not end here, since in fact many action adventure movies, which are very good, follow the same formula, but distract the viewer with plot twists, relatable or extraordinary characters, funny dialog etc. so that the viewer's attention is not so explicitly focused on underlying structure.

But Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 1 has very little of any of those distracting elements and the focus of any average viewer will be focused on its structure, and it is not the film-makers' fault. In fact, only Rowling can be blamed for this. The entire reason to read the book is to finally uncover all the mysteries that the author has systematically introduced from ever since the first novel. Since those answers are certainly captivating, the reader remains unaware that the entire book is essentially a long jog where the characters go from one place to another searching for things that need to be destroyed.

But after a few years since one has read the novel and sees the story on screen, it reveals the ugly truth: nothing much else is worth seeing here except the big reveal about a certain horcrux. All that precedes it is an exhausting jog from one place to another where all the scenes could be rearranged in any way one pleases without any effects on the story.

The one-liners and occasional character moments spike things up, but do not have the gravitational force to pull the viewer from surprised boredom, which a fan of Potter certainly does not expect to experience from a Harry Potter adventure.