Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Page 4 of 63: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Harry Potter Review

Author: Justin Docherty (docherty98@hotmail.com) from Canada
15 November 2010

I just got home from the official worldwide premier of the new Harry Potter movie. Overall the movie was great it had a good flow to it, you become attached to the characters and the mystical world they live in, the story has a lot of excitement to it and there is always something interesting going on. I have read all the Harry Potter books and this interpretation of the 7th and final book is very accurate and does not leave out any major detail,I know that a lot of people are upset that Warner Bros. decided to make this final book into two separate movies but maybe its better this way, it allows the viewers to get the most detail of what happens in the book, and it allows the filmmakers to express the most detail of the final chapter of the Harry Potter series.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie, it has a runtime of about 145mins but I went into the theatre and it felt like the movie was about 20min long. I would encourage anyone who enjoys the Harry Potter series to not hesitate, and go watch this movie and not wait until it finally releases on DVD. Overall rating 9/10

Worst and Longest of the Series

Author: erik_squires from Boston, MA
13 April 2011

Worst of the Harry Potter series. The biggest problem to me seems that they wanted to save money on effects and actors by spending endless amount of time shooting outdoor forest fly-by scenes instead of including side plots and more special effects. The movie has about 30 minutes of outdoor scenes which could be completely removed. Also, there's a scene where Harry and Hermione dance that is supposed to be poignant, but I found it endless and pointless. I can't remember the last time I saw a non-musical movie which included a complete song. Usually they are shortened to show the highlights and move the story along, but not Deathly Hallows. I'll definitely not be too worried about buying the extended DVD! I'd actually pay extra for a better edited version.

Didn't live up to expectations

Author: emmakateri from United Kingdom
12 April 2011

I missed out on seeing this at the cinemas, and although the experience would have been undeniably better if I had seen it there first as opposed to from my living room sofa, I'm kind of glad that I didn't bother. I have read the books and seen the other films countless times, and even the later, darker ones are still enchanting and heart-warming. This one, however left me completely cold. Most of the film is flat and dull, with none of the charm and detail of the book and as much as I usually love the actors, I didn't feel any connection to the characters. After all the hype and success of the other films, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I was a big disappointment. I can only hope that Part II makes up for it.

Dull

Author: dave_caveman from United Kingdom
15 July 2012

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Seriously, this was so dull.

Harry and co teleport to new place. They get found. They wave wands at each other. Harry and co teleport to new place. They get found. They wave wands at each other...

... for nearly 3 hours! Pretty much nothing happens and anything that does happen either makes no sense or doesn't bloody get shown.

For example, Harry's BFF randomly gets upset, storms out, randomly comes back a few minutes later. Why? What was the point?

The Minister of Magic comes to see Harry. Next scene we learn he's dead and the Ministry has fallen to the bad guys... what happened? And why the did they leave us watching a stupid wedding while an epic war of good vs evil was taking place down the road?

How do they just randomly keep being in the right place? We need to find these "Horcruxes"... oh look, there's one in the first house we go to. We need the Master Sword to destroy it... oh look, it's in this lake right next to us... Harry is drowning... oh look, BFF is back... ARGH!!!!!

How can you possibly build any kind of suspense when everything is just ridiculously easy? I mean, sure, in a lot of films you kinda know certain people are not going to die at certain times, but this goes far beyond this. Not only do you know they're not going to die, you know EXACTLY how they'll get away. *Spolier*: They wave wands at each other, then teleport.

In summary then, if you like wand waving and the occasional teleporting you do not wanna miss this.

Focusing on isolation and desolation, this feels far removed from Harry Potter--Yet its the best

Author: jacksakes from United States
21 November 2010

Yes, I am a fan of the Harry Potter series. I love it because Harry Potter has always had substance and a storyline with twists and turns to figure out as well as character development.

This one is by far not only the best acted, but also a gutsy move by the director, screenplay writer, and author J.K. Rowling. Never before would I think I would be going through a very bleak world chimed on by the mystical sounds that brought on the many funny moments of Hogwarts introduced in every Potter movie. The director had to choose when he made this movie and I felt he made the right one.

What was the choice? SPOILER ALERT-- The choice that was made was to put you in shoes of these three kids in a world gone wrong and let you feel the full emotional impact. Using things like a squelchy radio reporting all the deaths and things gone wrong in the wizarding world gave you such a withdrawn feeling that nothing is left out there for you.

The hopelessness that you feel is nothing any other post apocalyptic movie can touch. For this the movie is a complete success. The only other one that was close to giving me this feeling was the Road, but the Road didn't have 10 years and 6 movies built up to make you feel the intimacy you do with Weasley, Hermoine, and of course Harry.

Special effects (although there is still much of the brand in dueling wizards and witches as well as some chase scenes--one is even soaring above the clouds) and epic battles are sacrificed for minimalist moments of surviving in tents in undisclosed locations. The dance between Harry and Hermoine was unbelievable. It was brief and awkward, but for just a mere moment you saw the purity of children within, and how it was necessary for them to do such silly things to survive: to remember and not lose themselves.

Harry Potter has developed unbelievably. Not only is he more confident (no longer the kid with the glasses and the awkward smile), you really feel that he could be the champion of the story, and yet you still see how much pain and anguish he goes through. You feel his follies, you get the sense that he is utterly lost without Dumbledore. You see his anger that has culminated for the past six movies, and you see him breaking down.

Emma Watson as Hermoine Granger has peaked. She is showing some real acting chops in this movie. No longer is she the shrill, cracking voice, but now she has shown unbelievable conviction to her character and what she is going through.

Ronald Weasley of course plays a humorous role well, but he is not without his conflicts and there are some scenes that he really rises and shows that he is more than just a goofy red-headed kid you should always be laughing at. He too has his pains.

Spay special attention to Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort. He has been given screen time only in chunks, but if you watch him closely, you'll see what a three dimensional villain he is. At first I felt they got him wrong. I expected an unstoppable force with tenacity in his calmness with the likes of Darth Vader, and now I realize that they nailed this villain so well. But he goes through his own pain and anguish in his hot pursuit of Potter and his claim to power. He too goes through a whirlwind of emotions.

This is an amazing movie. This not only has the special effects and action, but also the minimalist acting of art-house films. Try to take off the Harry Potter label and look at this movie just once. You'll see past the famous-infamous popularity of the franchise, and see a movie for what it really is.

It could have been so much more!

Author: Emily B from United States
4 December 2010

I usually dislike movies based upon books, but the first six Harry Potter movies were a very pleasant change and stuck as closely to the books as could be squeezed into a few hours of screen time. Unfortunately, HP7 is the exception to that. When I read the book, I mentioned to my husband I had no idea how they would cover everything in one movie and was pleased to hear they split it in two, but this movie was a huge disappointment. Everything that made the book a real conclusion to the story was skipped in favor of shaky-cam dramatics that jumped from scene to scene, leaving the important and symbolic portions on the cutting room floor.

The actors did a great job and have proved themselves as professionals, and the special effects are brilliant. From the heroes to the villains, every one of them played their parts to perfection. I can't say enough good things about the casting and acting throughout the series, and that continues in HP7. The special effects made me see the fantastic world in visual form. Each of those things have been top-notch in the former stories and continued in this one.

What's the problem, then? Everything important in the book was abandoned. The book started with a scene between Harry and the Dursleys much like all the previous ones. It really highlighted the end of innocence for the two cousins in a farewell with Dudley that was shamefully left out of the film. I think that one scene could have framed the transition in far less screen time than the released nonsense, and the movie went downhill from there. Fans of brainless action flicks will probably adore this film since that's the style adopted, but the symbolism and dark wonder characterized in the real story was entirely absent in the film.

The filming style was nauseating in many places, and in one particular scene towards the end, a girl in the row behind us muttered that she couldn't watch the shaky camera shots any longer or she would be sick. My husband commented it was like someone took a snippet from Blair Witch Project and flung it in the middle of this movie. Truly disappointing.

I don't know why so much creative license was taken in this version when the previous movies stuck pretty closely to the books. This could have been so much better, particularly since there are two films to cover what was admittedly a lot of important information in the books. Unfortunately, the editing and cinematography fell flat on its face.

No emotion, disappointing film

Author: Marter2 from Canada
4 December 2010

I've heard a lot of people say that reviewing the newest Harry Potter movie is a pointless exercise. By now, people have made up their minds regarding the film series. If they are on-board, then they'll see it regardless, and if they don't like it, they aren't going to make an exception for the newest one. That's fair enough, but it's not a sentiment I necessarily agree with.

I don't think that has to be correct, because Deathly Hallows Part 1 has convinced me it is not. I think it actually could turn people off the series. That's not to say that it is a terrible film, but all of the charm that the previous films had seem to have been lost with this one. There is also the worrying thought that since Part 1 and Part 2 were shot back-to-back, the second film will have the same flaws.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 is the first of two films based on JK. Rowling's seventh Harry Potter book. It, once again, stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley, and Emma Watson as Hermione Granger. That's about all the actors who "star" in the film, as none of the secondary actors are given much chance to enhance or establish their characters.

This ends up being the first problem with the film. None of the secondary cast members get their fair share of screen time. Take, for example, Alan Rickman as Severous Snape. He's a character that was incredibly interesting in the first few films, and pivotal in the last one. Here, he gets maybe two scenes over the course of the film, none of which are that important. This is true for all of the other secondary characters as well. They show up, disappear for a while, and then reappear for another scene. That's all we get from them, and it doesn't allow any time to get any insight into their character that we hadn't already been shown.

While you are expected to have watched the previous six films in order to get a feel for the characters, it almost feels like you could have skipped them and still have gotten a good idea of what is happening. Not being in that situation myself, I cannot be sure, but the film did seem to be a bit too direct in an attempt to fill the audience in on what happened previously. Certain plot points continue to be hammered home, multiple times, and it makes you feel like the film doesn't think you are smart enough to remember them.

Without involving the secondary characters, the film turns out to consist mostly of Harry, Ron and Hermione, one of which ends up being absent for a large chunk of time, searching around various locations for the remaining Horcruxes. Since Hogwarts has now been taken over, they can't go back there, so they instead decide to ditch their final year of classes and go on an adventure. The Hogwarts setting is actually what made a lot of the previous movies interesting for me, meaning this change was not a good one in my mind. Yes, I am well aware that this also happens in the book, and can't be omitted, but making it happen for almost all of the entire two and a half hours the film plays for is not welcome.

This also means that the film does get kind of boring. The secondary characters made the previous films more interesting, but since most of them are absent from this one, we can only focus on our three leads. These are characters who, after this film, I have grown to dislike. I didn't before, because there would always be side-sessions with other characters dispersed between long sequences with the primary cast. Here, we don't get that, and I began to grow tired of Harry, Ron and Hermione.

The worst part about it is the fact that the film does attempt to have some emotional moments. Sadly, they almost all fall flat on their face. There is one scene, right near the end that was sad, but the rest of the time, I was sitting there questioning why they even bothered to try to stir emotions. There were also attempts at humour throughout, none of which worked in lightening the mood, and only served to remind me that when the film tries to change the mood, it fails.

The best part about the film was the visual effects. From transforming characters into multiple Harry Potters, to the house elves, to the spells used, you can tell that a lot of effort was put into the visuals. The film looks nice all around, and it does take you to various locations. At least you'll have some nice scenery to look at.

I'm still not sure whether or not I can dissuade Harry Potter fans from going to see Deathly Hallows Part 1, but I hope that they will take this review as a caution. This is perhaps the weakest film of the series, and it fails to bring any depth to any character that isn't named Harry, Ron, or Hermione. The scenery and visuals are great, but the secondary characters are pushed aside for ones that end up getting on your nerves. I do fear, however, for Part 2, as they were shot back-to-back. Hopefully they will rectify them in the editing process, or even go back and re-shoot some scenes before release. Either way, I was let down by Part 1.

All They Want Is Your Hard-Earned Money

Author: kaigal
29 November 2010

First of all I'm a fan of HP, have been since I was the same age the actors were when they started this movie venture because of J.K's awesome ability to write her world and bring it to life through them. However, I have never been a big fan of the movies because, obviously, they can never capture the true essence of the books. Key word: Essence; not every boring camping trip that happens. Although it's true the the bigger the books got the more the movies were rushed to get to key points and events. Although I'm trying to discern why that was not the case with this movie. I was truly and more irrevocable disappointed with this film as NOTHING HAPPENED! You spent most watching them camp and wander about and when you did reach the part where they destroyed the Horcrux it was so uneventful and disturbing. I'm sorry to say, but the image Ron saw was not needed to the full explicitly that was displayed. It makes me wonder how the actors felt seeing that; I mean yes, it is technically their characters and it was manipulated using CGI but still, was that really necessary? The 30mins where something ACTUALLY happened could have been incorporated into an actual film. This splitting the movie into two parts just to make more money from this franchise is despicable, especially in these economic times. We want something worth our money, not something else to waste it on and make us think we should have just splurged on those new shirts or something. I'd rather wait for it's TV debut on the movie network then either waste mine or my parents money on a 4-5hr movie where nothing happens for half of it instead of purchasing it like the other six. For shame, Warner Brothers and David Yates, for shame.

What a bore

Author: BLawson-1 from San Diego, CA
22 November 2010

I'm not a Harry Potter fan and I've never read the books, but I have seen all the movies up to now and have been following the unfolding plot. Bear in mind, this is a review of the movie, not the book.

I saw two movies this week, the low budget "Monsters" and the big budget Harry Potter sequel, and I'm not sure which one bored me the most. I think I spent more time looking at my watch with Harry Potter. The middle part where they jumped all over the place & spent nights in their tent could have been greatly shortened. The information I needed to carry me into the finale could have been covered in 15 minutes. This did not need to be a two part movie. This was clearly just dragging it out into two episodes for profit purposes.

This was also a very dark & violent movie. Lots of blood, lots of killing. I don't have children, but if I did, I wouldn't let them see this movie.

Seeing the current rating of 8.3 at this writing, obviously there are two versions of this movie out and my theater was playing the bad version.

Really disappointed

Author: Luke Savage from United States
21 February 2011

In the first few books/movies, the story was light, funny, had good side story lines but carried a level of surprise and a hint of dark mystery. In the last couple of books/movies, the story line has taken a change to a more serious and dark quality. The acting is less than desirable and the villain is overly complicated making it a bit annoying to the point of unbelievability. Deathly Hollow's part I is a waste of money and time. If this was the first movie of the series, I don't think it would make it to the box office. If the Harry Potter team doesn't 'bring it' in the last part, it will ruin a great storyline.