Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Page 23 of 63: [Prev][18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [Next]

Evil's Calling

Author: jonnyhavey from United States
23 November 2010

The six previous Harry Potter films were good in their own right, however part one of the seventh installment is director David Yates's masterpiece (since he took over the series with The Order of The Phoenix in 2007). Yates targets a more adult and grown up audience in this film, however, it is a very familiar audience and gives the original fans of the series a more contemporary film that has developed with its fans themselves. Daniel Radcliff, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson's acting talents have matured after being together for so many films creating flawless chemistry. They help create an entirely different dark and evil atmosphere. The film delves deep into the realms of while inserting the comedic antics along to lift the audience up along the way. Therefore, leave the kids at home and prepare for the series' best chance for an an heard of best picture nomination. Yates sets the tone of the film right away with the words of Bill Nighy's character Rufus Scrimgeour, "These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today." This is a very important statement and follows Harry, Ron and Hermione on their journey to destroy the Horcruxes and discover the Deathly Hallows to the films heroic somber conclusion opening up the evil realm in which Part 2 will be encapsulated in.

David Yates rallies his young actors in the film and has inspired them to give the best performances of their careers. It is obvious that experience has grown within them and has been passed down to these young actors by a very well known, experienced and talented supporting cast including Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort), Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix), Alan Rickman (Snape), Bill Nighy (Rufus) and Brandon Gleeson (Mad Eye Moody). The cast's talent is driven by a very successful and thought out adaptive screenplay by Steve Kloves that captures both the magic and the emotion of JK Rolling's novels. The visuals in the film are the best of the series flawlessly bringing the book to life. Yates exploits this because he was able to make the film follow the book the best out of all of the previous films because he had two films to do it. Characters have been developed to a whole new level in the film allowing one of the littlest characters Dobby the house elf to own the screen. Dobby is captured perfectly on film as the bad ass that was undersold in the books. All of this helped to create the cinematic Harry potter triumph, but it is the ending of the film where the film shines the brightest. The series has become apart of many people's lives and is viewed as a part of reality. Therefore the ending the film places the audience in the middle of the anguish the characters feel and even fans who already know how the story ends will be cheering nonetheless to see how Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 ends.

The film only tells half of the final Harry Potter story causing the audience to wait until July 2011 to see the story's emotional conclusion. Two tickets are needed several months apart to see the entire five plus hour conclusion. This is no longer a family movie, therefore, children need to be left at home while viewing this deep metaphorical journey. Also, in order to see this film and understand what is going on it is necessary to see the six previous films or have read the books. Failure to do this will leave you dazed and confused because even though this is the best of the films it relies heavily on the foundation that the previous films have built.

Even though the film only tells half of the story leaving you wanting more, do not let this fool you because you will be fulfilled. Go see it now and let Dobby show you what house elves can do and prepare yourself for the second part of the epic finale.

This is what we have been waiting for

Author: LadyFilmNoir from United States
23 November 2010

The Harry Potter series has inspired generations. I grew up with the books and the movies. As I grew, the characters, both fictional and actual actors grew with me. This instillation of the Harry Potter movie series is what I have been waiting for. The growth of the series and the actors is at its most mature and impressive in this movie. The acting has transformed from children playing character to actors transforming into a role. The growth of the performance is extremely astounding and the newest movie will leave any Harry Potter lover satisfied, but even those who are not Harry Potter inclined will be impressed. The way the movie balances the heavy content with humor is so adept and creates the perfect cinematic experience. I am so impressed and excited about the accomplishments of this series.

Overall good ... a little bit scary !

Author: odea999 from Ireland
23 November 2010

A good movie with the following points making it stand out;

(a)The acting is much better than previous movies, especially Emma Watson

(b)This movie captures all major details of the book, only leaving very minor things out and changing a few

(c)The movie is good at holding your attention and definitely does not seem as long as the 140 minutes it runs for.

(d)The action scenes are well done. Although sometimes they can be difficult to follow, they still include the suspense you want them to in order to elevate what happens next.

Aside from a few scary moments there isn't really anything that inappropriate in this movie, it is only PG-13 because of violence (which isn't even that bad) so you could bring your children if you wished.

Padraig O'Dea Eaton Square Monkstown

Enough to leave you yearning for more.....

Author: murphyEIRE from Ireland
23 November 2010

Harry Potter, who doesn't know the name Haryy Potter? Truth be told the powers that be could throw out any old garbage film and we the helpless fans would jump upon it and go in our thousands. Thankfully that hasn't happened.

The Deathly Hollows is a fine novel, one every fan should read and the film part 1 is true to the book and every fan will like it. It stars off with the brilliant " 7 Harry's " scene which is fantastic and from there it moves swiftly to the wedding and familiar faces are plentiful. We get to meet all the old favourites Mad Eye,The Weasleys,Lumpkin,Hermoine,Hagrid and of course Harry then we see the warm Weasley families home and all is OK, alas our blood thirst is quenched.

But the problem is after the start the film hits a dead end. We are left with the three main characters in isolation and not much else is going on. This is part of the story and necessary but to be blunt it is a little boring. However the last 30 minutes bring the tale back to life and do more than enough to excite the audience. The film as you all know is a little darker and perhaps more suitable for the 12+ age group.

All in all this is a decent film and is more than enough to keep the Potter Heads out there happy. You cant help but be hungry for more and it is set up perfectly for an epic finally which Im sure we will get.

I wanted it to be better somehow

Author: tobydale from United Kingdom
23 November 2010

I've seen all of the Harry Potter films and read the first 3 books. Going to the films has been a big movie event for us ever since the first one was announced all those years ago. I really enjoyed the first couple of "innocent" romps.

For my money though - and I have to say this - Rowling had no way to foresee the immense success of the first couple of books. They are fun, fresh and you want to find out more - so you keep reading/watching. Then it started getting serious - and a worldwide audience grew and required satisfaction. This is where the writer began to search for deeper issues, more complexity, more "poke". The plot lines begin to get stretched deep and moody, the author is trying to get to things which she never anticipated ever having to write about, because she never thought there would ever be any demand for any later works. She tries hard with the elemental Good Vs Evil thing and through interesting characters and connections manages to get to the 4th book out. I put Book 4 down because the whole concept had run its course by then. I didn't need to read anymore.

Book/Film 4 is the point where my patience wears thin. So you can imagine that by this film I'm going along because Harry Potter films have become a habit - they have punctuated my life.

I didn't really enjoy this film - it's not there to be enjoyed. It's a bleak, dark, thankless watch which has not one jot of the joy and fun of the early works. Sure - there's a war, sure, the badies are winning, sure - our heroes don't look so bright and shiny now that they don't really know what they are doing. But I found that I hardly cared; I wanted to, but I didn't.

I'm assured that the film is very true to the book; and this film will satisfy devotees of the books (like my wife...). But it just didn't do it for me. I watched it as someone who has seen all the films and felt the need to watch this out of a sense of completeness. I'm not going to say I was disappointed - I like the screen Harry Potter and want to see how he and his friends develop and perform as characters. Given the content I don't think that the film could have been any different to how it was; I just wanted it to be better somehow.

Strong beginning guaranteeing excitement however forgetting that 20 minutes in

Author: Rob Johnston from United Kingdom
23 November 2010

Harry Potter was always a hit and miss franchise (at least in movie format) however what it lacked in being technically 'good' it was always fun and filled with enough excitement that it instilled a sense of magic within me. Deathly Hallows part 1 however seriously failed to meet my expectations. The film starts off with and awesome shot of Bill Nighy promising magic and fun and a battle between teen wizards and the gestapo, what we get however is 2 hours of extremely slow paced plot dabbled with wizarding fights. Don't get me wrong I LOVED some of the parts though the parts that I did love were so few and far between that at times it seemed like a chore to watch. I understand that this film was setting up everything for part 2 and that they wanted to split the book into 2 fairly lengthy films BUT this really wasn't necessary if it meant losing the thrilling nature of the film. I would've been perfectly happy to sit through 3 hours of fast paced frivolity compared to 2 hours of dribble that MAYBE will pick up in part 2.

As always my respect for Daniel Radcliffe flies out the door the moment he opens his mouth. If you were expecting great acting from the guy then I seriously pity you. That being said there was some STUPENDOUS acting from Rhys Ifans, Ralph Finnes, Alan Rickman and Bill Nighy. They stopped at no expense to get the best English actors in this film to play supporting roles. Throw Daniel Day-Lewis into the mix and I would've forgiven everything else about the film and given it a 10/10.

I seriously hope that part 2 does live up to the fast paced thrill ride that the rest of the series has been, If not then Part 1 has completely gone to waste.

I'm afraid I can only give this film a better than average. 6.5/10

Still going strong!

Author: ajs-10 from United Kingdom
23 November 2010

I chose to go and see this on a cold damp Tuesday evening because I remember a bad experience watching the previous Harry Potter last year. I foolishly went on the Saturday of the opening week and the cinema was packed. It wasn't until the interval that I finally managed to threaten the teenager behind me enough to stop him kicking my seat all through the second half. But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… I must take some of my pills. Here's a very brief summary before I tell you what I thought of this one (summary haters please hide the chosen one in a forest while I write the next paragraph).

Lord Voldemort and his followers have taken over the Ministry of Magic and are hot on the trail of Harry Potter. Those loyal to him try to move him to a safer location, but they are betrayed and some of their number are killed or injured. After a further attack Harry, Ron and Hermione escape and decide to go it alone. They have discovered that one of the remaining Horcruxes is at the Ministry. Posing as three of the members of the Ministry they manage to steal the Horcrux, but have no way of destroying it. In his will, Dumbledor has left each of them an item that could help. Harry has been bequeathed the snitch he captured in his first game of quidditch as well as the Sword of Gryffindor which is currently lost. Hermione discovers that it is possible that the Sword could destroy the Horcrux. A mysterious light leads Harry to the sword and they are able to destroy the Horcrux. There a three more to be found and Lord Voldemort is becoming more and more powerful as time goes on. I have missed an awful lot out, but those are the salient points and, I hope, very few (if any) spoilers.

As we have come to expect, this is a beautifully made film, although much darker than the others. It was nice to see the three main characters out in the real world for a change. I love the animation that was used for the explanation of the meaning of the Deathly Hallows, beautifully done! Great performances all round, particularly from Daniel Radcliffe as Harry, Rupert Grint as Ron and Emma Watson as Hermione. All are growing into fine actors.

As you may notice from reading my summary (assuming you weren't hiding in a forest), that a knowledge of all of the previous six episodes does help when watching this instalment. I did find it a bit hard to get into at first, but was soon enthralled again. The scenes in the ministry did remind me a little of Terry Gilliam's 1985 film Brazil and there are more than hits of 'The Lord of the Rings' throughout. Over all, a very good film and one I heartily recommend.

My score: 8.3/10

outstanding!

Author: xesco-nello from Spain
23 November 2010

David Yates really wanted to try a new kind of Harry Potter, and the fact that Harry, Ron and Hermione aren't in school helped him, also that this is the last episode, so he's trying hard to make the best of it. They also cut it at a pretty good bit, it's cliff hanging, but it was the best they could do(they might want to make the final battle long, that's why they went far more than half of the book.

If you're a grown up and you're checking this review because you're children want to see it and you think it will be maximum action, don't think that, just please go and see it and you will probably realize you enjoyed it, of course you should now quite a lot of the story and should read the books(if you don't have done it already). There are also some funny bits, of course they couldn't just make it really serious in the middle of this drama.

Lost for words...literally

Author: arvindh-mani from United States
23 November 2010

And don't take the words in the summary in the wrong way. 'Cause I mean it. I really am lost. Because the movie evoked such feelings in me when I left the cinema hall.

For starters, I thought it was a fairly decent film, definitely one of the best in the series till now (though not my favorite; that will always be HP1... unless HP7.2 can do something about it!). But Daniel Radcliffe didn't work well in this film according to me. I am not saying they should have changed Harry or something, (...wait a minute, what if they did!? I'd appreciate the movies a lot more, thats what! And so would a lot of others out there), but the book portrays Harry as someone who 'takes charge' from the moment he hears of the Hallows. But the movie doesn't show him coming to the sudden and ingenious conclusion that "Hallows must defeat Horcruxes" (one of the best moments in the book). Here is where the movie failed in my opinion. But the part preceding it, that was just magnificent. The Tale of the Three Brothers - truly a feast for the eyes. Do keep an eye out for that. Also that dance scene in the tent at the Forest? 1 word - Why??? And worst of all, they put that scene in place of the "Potterwatch" radio bit in the book.. Bad mistake. Honestly, had I gone in with an open mind I may have enjoyed the film more, but I just couldn't.. I am too attached to the books! So all in all, considering the special effects and CGI (which plays a huge role in getting movies into the IMDb tops list), I settle for a 7/10. Okay, that doesn't mean I am not waiting for the 2nd part though..

Best Harry Potter movie yet!

Author: hassan_kulsoom from Canada
23 November 2010

This was by far my favourite movie of all 7 so far! It was a COMPLETE success and I loved it!

I believe that there were some scenes that could have been improved like the wedding and the dursley's departing scene which in my opinion was way to short. I was a bit ticked off when they didn't add Harry's birthday, but everything else that was really well done covered up for everything.

Scenes that I thought were REALLY well done would be: the café scene, the whole godric's hallow scene, malfoy manor, The Three Peverell Brother's story, Ron destroying the locket scene and when Dobby died. Even though I've read all the books and I knew that Dobby was going to die, I still cried. It was a really good and emotional scene.

I can't wait for Part 2, and I know as a fact that Part 2 is going to be as good as this part was!