Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Page 19 of 63: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

An entertaining adventure

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
16 December 2010

This film is the adventure of Harry Potter, who is on the quest to find the Horcruxes of Lord Vordemont.

I find the newest instalment of Harry Potter a little confusing, as I have only very vague recollections of what happened in previous books or films. The fast pace and the assumed knowledge of previous stories make it hard to follow at times. Putting that aside, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" is entertaining as it is action packed and thrilling. The special effects are quite impressive too. There are so many moments that scared me out of my chair, with the sound effects successfully augmenting the scary visuals. I look forward to the next film, where they round up the whole series.

A good beginning to end of a saga

Author: shashankrevankar from Hubli, India
16 December 2010

Of course the best news about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is that it is divided into two movies. But the movie surely rises up to our expectation after watching HP 6.

This movie is completely comprehensible if you are an ardent follower of the books. If you have just watched all the movies, you would not some scenes, that too important one's.

On the whole David Yates has done a great job accommodating half the book in 2 & half hours. The movie is quite gripping till the end because so much happens. No scene looks unnecessary or boring. The climax is quite touching and all the actors have done a great job.

Daniel, Emma and Rupert have grown as characters and actors too. While the film is quite dark, it is quite interesting too.

Finally, if you are real die-hard harry potter fan, and you have read the 7th book, no doubt you would love the movie. On the other hand, if you have only watched movies and do not know much about the harry potter storyline, you would rank it mediocre. For those of you who have never been a fan of harry potter series, the movie becomes quite difficult to understand and stands to disappoint you.

Conclusion : Great movie, wonderful effects. But only for harry potter fans( and its a must watch for them).

It's Back Baby

Author: lucabatt from Canada
16 December 2010

So i must start by saying that I am a huge fan of harry potter! Now, the evolution of the harry potter films has been a continuously tarnishing event. In my opinion, from the POA and on the movies were beginning to be terrible. No character development and limited magical experience. In HP and the Deathly Hallows part 1, another factor stood out. The fact that characters were not dressed in shabby clothes finally got out. Why did they insist on having the characters dressed like hobos. Anyways, I had definitely lost hope in the movies since i saw order of the Phoenix and half-blood prince. This movie rekindled my desire and love of the films. I thought breaking the book in the two parts was pivotal to contained most of the plot. At first I was afraid it would be a bust because it would not contain the battle of Hogwarts and I thought it would be Harry , Ron and Hermione just walking in forests the entire movie. I was wrong. Deathly Hallows part 1 contained a balance of action, drama and of course magical display. The struggle of the protagonist is so evident and illustrated extremely well. I need to see it again. and if you haven't, you should really consider it. The films are no longer suited for children but a more mature audience, so give it a try. If fantasy isn't your scene, this contains a great plot line anyways and its very possible you will enjoy this movie. The ending is a great cliffhanger and set up for what I am sure will be the greatest and of course the last of the Harry Potter films.

It was good, but a little confusing for non-book readers

Author: thompson1106 from United States
15 December 2010

Well, I've read all of the HP books and I'm a huge fan. The movie received an 8/10 from me, and even though it was a great movie, there were many things that were left out. The first time I went to see this movie with one friend; eventually, I had seen it 4 times within the first two weeks because friends of mine who have *not* read the books did not understand, so I returned and actually had to explain why this was happening etc. I feel like more emphasis should have been placed on a certain character who is crucial in part II, and a character who should have died wound up surviving. How they will explain that in Part II is beyond me. Visually, it was breath-taking. The acting, superb (of course!) You can really feel as if you're THERE while on the journey. It is a bit of a tear-jerker for the sensitive people, but mainly because you realize that this is the movie before the **very** last one and you know it's coming to an end :P Some characters took on the role of others, which is expected in book-to-film adaptations; I loved this movie, however I feel that people should read the book before going to see it to really grasp what's going on. Then, many things from the previous movies will make sense and you'll be able to understand it better. I feel I shouldn't have had to tag along and commentate on the movie 4 more times -__-. Still love it though, because I'm a Potter fan :)

Wait until the second before you make your opinion!

Author: leanne-alessandra from United Kingdom
15 December 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:Part 1 is automatically very different from the previous films. Why? Firstly, at no point during the film is it set at Hogwarts where the other films have been centrally based. Some may not like this change of scenery, however I do because it gives a sense of freedom (and growing up) for the three protagonists. Again this next instalment of the saga gets even darker with more deaths, fights, snakes and torture. There is a reason why such films are placed with a certificate of 12, so I suggest that youngsters should not be taken in less you know they can cope. Even I jumped a few times with the appearance of the snake. Again this Gothic feel adds to the sense of growing of age and freedom, as the three protagonists get a feel for what real life is like after leaving the relatively safe haven of Hogwarts. Dangerous; particularly if you are the infamous Harry Potter or are friends with him. Many people have been disappointed with the film, saying that not as much occurs compared with the other films, however, don't forget it is only part 1, and all those who have read the book will know that we have saved the best 'til last, and that this film is setting up for the explosion as the series concludes. So please wait until you have seen the second part before you make your concluding opinion of the film, because some things may not add up until you watch the second. Part 1 focuses mainly on the three protagonists, their relationship with each other, and the task that Harry Potter has put upon himself, with the help of his friends. The film also shows how wicked Voldermort and his other death eaters are, particularly Helena Bohnam Carter, who plays her part fantastically. Unfortunately I thought that as they have two film to make from one book, that the film would not skip over or just briefly show certain events and aspects of the story. But, it does. For instance the film does not explore why Lucius seems almost weaker and more afraid of Voldermort than he usually has been in the other films. Overall, I thought it was a very good film, not the best I have ever seen, but certainly one I would like to see again. Having read the book, I cannot wait until the second part comes out as I think it will be the best one yet. :)

totalitarianism takes over in the wizarding world

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
13 December 2010

If you've read all the Harry Potter books, then you should know that, as the series went on, they essentially became an allegory for totalitarianism. Certainly one can see that in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1". Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson reprise their roles as Harry, Ron, and Hermione, respectively. The three are now having to live almost in secret due to the almost fascistic takeover of the wizarding world by Lord Voldemort's (Ralph Fiennes) minions. In fact, while the three are undercover in the office building, the factory looks like something out of Nazi Germany or Stalin's USSR: the employees robotically help to publish material which pushes a fear of the "other" (in this case Muggles, or non-wizards). Harry, Ron and Hermione are like the French Resistance, one might say.

Anyway, it's a good thing that they broke the final book into two movies. So far, they're doing a really good job not only bringing the magic to the screen, but also warning of the dangers that totalitarian entities - represented here by the Death Eaters - pose. I recommend it.

Tom Felton, Jason Isaacs, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Warwick Davis, Brendan Gleeson, John Hurt, David Thewlis, Timothy Spall, Imelda Staunton, and Julie Walters reprise their roles from the previous movies, with new additions Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans.

Satisfying and well simply great!

Author: Jona1988 from Finland
13 December 2010

Maybe the film company felt that by splitting the book into two movies they could make twice as much cash. But after seeing Part 1 I feel that even if money was the motive it was the right choice for the quality also. I was very satisfied with the film.

The seventh book was a great ending to a brilliant series. However if one splits it on the middle I think the first half is considerably weaker. The infamous camping parts where the book really started to drag. So one could expect the adaptation of the first part to feel a bit slower also. But I was positively surprised by how well they have succeeded, the film is not just very good on it's own but might even stand out as one of the better in the series. The series has gotten more and more mature for each film. Not just the tone and violence but also the characters, their emotions and such. It's great fun to see how the characters grow and the relations between them develop. It all works brilliant. I think the films have done well in capturing the feel of the characters form the books and in this film you get to follow them even closer. All the actors make a great performance. New additions to the cast Bill Nighy and Rhys Ifans are good and suit there roles fine. The tone of the film is pretty gray and sad like the story, but they have done it well to get the right feel without making it dull and empty. The film stays on track and keeps the right tone all the way. Doesn't add any unnecessary jokes and no cheesy scenes or dialogue which has happened in previous films. No attempts to make the film both mature and childish, something one could fear they would try. The action scenes in the Harry Potter films has never been the strong point. The characters and story is still the best but the action has gotten better and this is without doubt the best yet. Thanks to being split in two the story telling is much more detailed and done in a more graspable pace. The story has gotten more complicated but I feel it's easier to follow whats going on here than in Prisoner of Azkaban. I can't imagine how the story could be told in a good way in just one film, doing it like this was the best way.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is a superb film that greatly lives up to my expectations. All aspects of it are really well done, story telling, character development, depth and emotion, even great action. Looking forward to part 2 which I feel has all the capacity, meaning even more thrilling plot to be even better!

Just the Beginning of the End

Author: knox_jamal12 from United States
11 December 2010

"…just the beginning of the end". That is what the first part of the final chapter in the Harry Potter says to me. With the first six films being a mere premise to the last two films of the franchise, to think about coming end to the cherished series cause me a bit of sadness. Being a die-hard Harry Potter fan, this particular "Part One" did not disappoint.

This film opens with an epic struggle for survival as seven "Potters" attempt to smuggle Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) out of his Aunt and Uncle's house given his upcoming birthday. The dynamics of the scene give an immensely powerful first statement for the film. The screenwriter Steve Kloves does a brilliant job in my opinion of manifesting the action from the novel on the screen. Throughout the movie we see a different turn from previous Potter movies. We see a lot more of the dynamics in the characters relationships with each other. We see a little bit more romance, lightly played but obvious. We see present well within the movie the idea of Harry's dependence on Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ron (Rupert Grint). We see a lot of team work present and suiting the feel well, the story begins to slow down allowing bit more room for back story explanations. This time the feel of the film is one of a slower pace, which in my opinion serves well to ease the audience into the films inevitable end. I whole-heartedly agree with the decision made to split the film into two parts. I think that it gives more space for the storyline to spread out and really capture the whole big picture, as is illustrated well in Rowling's book. Plus it brings even more money to the franchise.

The actors also have done an amazing job throughout the whole decade that this film has taken to rise to its current and immense glory. We've had the privilege to watch as Daniel Radcliffe, brilliantly portrayed as the scrawny bespectacled boy we grew to love in the first book and movie, to the mature, beastly looking hero, taking an even greater leap from the books' descriptions and making the change from Daniel to Harry on screen all the more powerful and beautiful. Watson also grew from slightly annoying and cute little girl to a smoking hot, mature British woman, despite her recent hair change. Rupert Grint even did a bit of growing up. He's gotten a deeper voice, but remains that endlessly loyal companion to Harry throughout all the films. The actors and actresses have always played their given parts brilliantly. It surprises me that most of the whole cast and crew have been there from the beginning (except for the directors). It's further touching to reflect on the brilliant family these people have become in the production of this amazing franchise.

In retrospect there are some things that I do wish had been done better. Like some of the finer ends of the movie were a little left out. But I think overall David Yates did a great job with this film, as he has with the previous films he's directed in the series. He definitely seems to me the most familiar with the tone of the movie and though shaped the film in a way that suited him, his taste suits the novel and the rest of us just fine. I definitely look forward the final installment of the franchise this upcoming summer. It will be a bittersweet birthday present, considering I began my journey with Potter on my birthday nearly 10 years ago. I recommend this movie to any who'll watch. It will not disappoint.

Harry Potter- Good Movie

Author: Javier Flores from Mexico
11 December 2010

This is a very good movie and I'm not really a good fan of Harry potter, but in this movie the directors capture my attention with amazing special effects. Also the history has a lot of comic scenes and then BAM an action Scene. So I recommended this movie. Also the effects in 3D are very good. The directors make an excellent decision to divide this movie in two parts because in the end you will want to see the final part. Actually I have to see the other harry potter movies because I don't remember a lot of details of the history, so I have to spend some time to see them. So for all the really fans of harry potter you are going to enjoy the movie, and for all the people who aren't fans of harry potter also you are going to enjoy it.

Perfect start of the new movie!

Author: gustaffa93 from Sweden
10 December 2010

The perfectness of HP and the deathly hallows part 1 cannot be spoken in words.

The film starts off with the Warner Bros logo, but it's more darker than in the previous HP film. From that moment and onwards the movie had action/excitement in almost every scene until the end. The plot is awesome and more personal drama is introduced as the movie moves on.. It follows the book almost perfect with only some bits cut out which doesn't really make a big deal in the plot itself. I was beginning to wonder when the movie was nearing it's end if it would cut in a bad scene without any notification before the credits began to roll, but i was clearly wrong as the movie was cut after a carefully chosen scene which is going to haunt the HP fans for the next 7 months until the last part is shown on cinema! Thanks Yate for making one of the greatest HP movies yet!