Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Page 14 of 63: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Doesn't fit in with the earlier films

Author: craig ellis from United Kingdom
30 December 2013

Just watched this week and i'm not impressed with the film story direction. The series started out great as an all family can watch films but now this has been dropped for a miserable, depressing, drab direction which doesn't fit in at all with the other earlier films. I don't know what JKR is thinking when writing but maybe she was in a dark mood herself and took it out on Harry Potter? This needed the old spark of Harry Potter film magic but its too late now! How anyone would want to watch this film again is a mystery. JKR will hopefully take a break from writing and think about letting other authors write Harry Potter stories about Harry's earlier times at magic school which would be good to see?

Disappointing

Author: myspecialparadise from United States
29 August 2013

Due to how the writer chose to end Part One, I was not so interested in seeing Part Two ... I did not return to the theater for the final episode of the Harry Potter series of film. Basically, if the writer would have been writing the story of Bambi, she would have killed off Flower, the skunk ... for which ceased my interest in anything she might do in the future. I sincerely hope that others share my opinion of the way this particular film ended! Basically, it pi$$ed me off big time ... and the DVD's are stored away, never to be watched again! Basically, you don't have a slave set free just to die an unheroic death! You don't kill off this character at all ... it just isn't done! Especially when the character becomes so cherished by one and all, including the audience! To kill off that character is nothing short of being nasty and wicked to the audience! As you can see ... it really played a number on my head, to the point that I would never trust this author again.

Second mistake ... which has to do with the cutting of the film, and not the writer. A scene was removed from the movie that should not have been! At the beginning, when Harry's Uncle, Aunt, and the brat are escaping by moving away ... the kid was suppose to approach Harry and basically make amends for all that he did to Harry ... the scene was cut, and it should not have been! The reason it should not have been is that the scene reinforced the fact that we need not be as our parents are ... we can be better! Cutting that out was a huge mistake! Well, there you have it ... I found this movie to be a huge disappointment.

Surprisingly Disappointing!

Author: losangcodbazzinga
26 April 2013

I went to watch this movie in the cinemas the first day it came out, and i was very much looking forward to it. Sadly i was a little bit disappointed by the outcome. I thought the film dragged on a bit too much and it didn't really engage me as much as the previous films. I think the camping with Harry,Ron and Hermione went on for too long. Although there was some good action in it. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a bad movie however it certainly was one of the weaker ones. The acting was very good and it was another dark movie. The ending of part 1 i found very weak and not thought out, They could of ended it a lot better, I felt the film was a little bit rushed and not very accurate.

It Gets Real(er)

Author: thesar-2 from United States
3 March 2013

"This is the 'Sh|t Gets Real' episode…" - Kevin Carr, from The Idiot Boxers. "Welcome to primetime, Bitch," – Freddy Krueger.

I knew this was coming. We all knew this was coming.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Uno, or HP7a, was a given since the start. We knew, even without spoilers from viewers, the series was bound to get darker, more deadly – or is that, deathly? – and seriously serious. Harry had to grow up finally and begin his final stages to get to his nemesis, No-Nose.

Well, it was welcome, after the terrible, over-kill bridge movie Part VI was. That one, Half-Blood Prince, connected the exciting, thrilling and best of the series, Part V, or Order of the Phoenix, and this first chapter of the finale.

Yes, my opinions are not well-received, but allow me to honestly say just that: I was honest in my feelings towards Part VI – it contained 20 special, interesting and important minutes, but the rest was garbage. If only those were tacked onto this one, or the previous, it would've flowed better.

I digress, we're here for HP7a. School's out for…ever, it appears as Harry and the good witches of all directions are on the lam after No-Nose and his army is preparing to devastate everything. Now, since I'm not caught up on the books, after only having read the first one, I'm puzzled why more Muggles don't see these attacks from No-Nose, or it's not more widely spread. But, anyways…

The mystery of the series, the adventure and most of the heart is back as Harry's pals get beaten down, and the overall threat is more real. It's actually a fairly simple plot of gathering objects and clues, but the route to both was rather fun, albeit slow at times.

In Part VI, a significant character passes onto the Magical Kingdom of the Sky, but the one character who dies here (obviously, no spoilin') in the finale actually affected me the most. And yes, I'm even jumping ahead to HP7b… of all 8 movies, the one that dies here almost made me tear up and I'm sorry to see her/him go.

At any rate…even with a rather slower mid-section, the movie starts off with a punch, it's fun, dark, mature and finishes at a perfect time to get you psyched for the grand finale to come…

(Editor's Note: I decided to listen to the masses for this Harry POTter phenomena and revisit the series. I've only seen the first two, both once and in first run theatres. Since it's been around a decade since the initial releases, I've started over with #1 and will get to what everyone calls: the better years. Cheerio!)

Sky Battle was too short. What do you think about it?

Author: borkasztik from Hungary
12 December 2012

I love the this movie but I was disappointed in the Sky Battle.I think that was too short in the film. I don't understand the film makers. They had enough time for that scene. What do you think about it? Moreover in my opinion the dance scene was unnecessarily in the film when Harry and Hermione were dancing at the camp. They had to cut off this scene. I was so embarrassed by this scene I love the Harry Potter books and movies very much but I am waiting for more from the last two movie. The music was amazing. I am always listening this theme. In my opinion this film could be more powerful. In the next movie the battle was also too short.

A little close to the book then the 6th

Author: deatman9 from Canada
14 November 2012

Finally my review for the last installment of Harry Potter well part one anyway. First I would like to say how glad I am they released this movie in two parts. I personally think they should have done that with every book after the third if they did they would have been able to make it much closer to the book and therefore and much better and complete movie like this one was. The acting was the best yet out of all the movies and the story is getting very intense also it seems the writing has improved drastically with the dialouge and screenplay.

This movie is about Harry, Ron and Hermoine who instead of going to Hogwarts for their last year decide to finish Dumbledores work and go on the hunt for the horcuxes so they can kill Voldemort.

This movie was probably my favorite one. It is definitely the most intense and with the most adult content and don't get me wrong there is still tons of stuff left out from the book but I personally think this one is a better adaptation then the 6th installment.

Deathly dark...

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
13 July 2012

I have read the book but obviously have only come to this first part of the film dramatisation rather late in the day. Not a bad thing actually as it reduces the book-to-film comparison it's very easy to fall into. Thus I found myself watching it almost afresh and was able to watch it as a film first rather than an adaptation.

That said, I did find it slow in parts yet conversely haphazard in some of the no out essential editing to get the required halfway point of what is a very long and detailed novel. This method rather exposes the acting skills of the young leads and while they've come in a bit since the early adventures, I still don't think they can quite carry the movie off on their own shoulders. The action sequences are much darker and scarier than before but probably too far apart to really have the maximum effect. In between we get a lot of scenes in the dark, on the woods, by a loch and in a tent, where we're meant to get caught up in an imaginary triangle between Harry, Ron and Hermione. There's no Hogwarts, the Express train or even Hagrid's Cottage and also very little in the way of experienced support to relieve the lack of dramatic tension too.

This accent on melodrama reaches its nadir with the death of Dobbie in a terribly overblown "Little Nell" type scene. From there we don't even get a cliff-hanging climax to propel us onto the sequel, which while I will watch it soon, will I think be more satisfying as it reaches its conclusion. This did look to me very like half a film but with more vigorous editing could have ended up better than it did, at least in my eyes.

Author: dmills2709 (dmills2709@hotmail.co.uk) from England
7 May 2012

Being the last book of the Harry Potter series you would expect all of the lose ends to finally be answered, however in this film I feel as though things were missed, events that would of made the film so much more than it was.

Of course they would split the arguably most important part of the franchise into two. But now looking at it, i wish they hadn't. Yes i love the cartoonish like graphics for the retelling of the Deathly Hallows story brilliantly narrated by Emma Watson but I found the entire film to be on the verge of boring. That says a lot since all previous films have been in my opinion outstanding. This film concentrates on to much of the storyline and no action. It lacks any gripping scenes and almost makes you want to fall asleep in the long conversations the characters have about nothing.

However, i do see why they decided to follow this course of the splitting of the book. But i feel that they have forgotten the main audience to this franchise. Young people. These people are less likely to want storyline and are more wanting of action and dramatic death scenes instead of discussions about "what are we going to do now?". That being said Dobby's death scene had to be one of the most emotional scenes in the whole film. It was truly heart wrenching the way the characters reacted and the sound of the lovable dobby's voice slipping away. That scene was pure class, was a shame we had to wait most of the film for that one moment however.

Overall the film needed more "lets go" and less "lets sit and talk about it", but if your a true lover of Harry Potter, i cant see why this film isn't an acceptable penultimate film to the franchise.

Penultimate Harry Potter Flick Is Fun And Earnest But Has Lurching Lacklustre Middle

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
30 January 2012

Apprentice sorcerer Harry Potter is under the protection of his fellow wizards, as his nemesis Voldemort is waging a civil war within the magic realm. Harry is prophesied to defeat this evil tyrant, but how can he fight such a powerful enemy, and what is Voldemort's secret agenda ?

I hate to say it, but I found this Harry Potter film to be a bit of a chore. It starts well, with a big sky battle with the Death-Eaters and then a funny scene where our heroes infiltrate the new evil regime at the Ministry of Magic, but then it bogs down into a forty-minute sequence where Harry, Ron and Hermione just sit about, bicker, and don't know what to do in a succession of bleak beaches and forests. This section is dull, drab and a downer; when did Harry Potter turn into Finnegan's Wake ? The film picks up again for the last half-an-hour, when we finally learn what the Deathly Hallows are (through a lovely piece of calligraphy-style animation) and there's lots more action, but I'd cut out the whole middle-third of the picture (and wouldn't have split the seventh book into two parts either). What I love about these movies is their sense of wonder, the contrast between worlds, the humour and the crazy people, all of which works wonderfully, particularly in the first three films. As the continuing story gets more and more dogmatic a lot of that is lost; this one has no scenes at Hogwarts at all, and many of the most enjoyable characters are either missing entirely or only briefly glimpsed. Despite this it still manages to be fun, thanks to the stalwart efforts of the whole cast and the extremely high production quality. Some scenes are great, like the creepy sequence in Godric's Hollow, or Dobby's heroic return to save his friends, and as ever the visual effects are excellent - I especially like the goading monster in the locket which Ron has to destroy. I guess this was a tough picture to make - a fantasy film full of angst and with no ending - so it's pretty good considering, but for me it just doesn't compare with Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone.

boring, little magic

Author: MLDinTN from TN
20 December 2011

I love the Harry Potter books but have thought the movies have been less that stellar. And this movie was probably the worst one yet because it was so boring. Hardly anything happens except we see Harry, Ron, and Herimone wondering throughout forests, graveyards, and old houses. A couple of fake looking snakes make an appearance. About half the film is them looking for a locket, the other half finding out how to destroy it. They should have just made a 4 hour TV mini-series out of this.

FINAL VERDICT: If you've watched all the Potter movies, then you have to watch these last ones just to see how bad it can get.