Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Page 12 of 63: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [Next]

These are getting worse

Author: mistoppi from Finland
23 October 2016

The ending is closer and the movies are worse. Still they are trying to make an action film out of Harry Potter, but what's worse is how the filmmakers clearly don't know what to cut. There is such a long time of... nothing. They do nothing. There's some dialogue but it's not always entirely insightful. And there's the weird dance scene and all that. Yes, those scenes how Harry, Ron and Hermione were on the run for a really long time, but that's really frustrating for the audience. How about you cut that and make this film shorter - or better yet - include some things that were in the books but were barely mentioned in the movie.

I also don't like the point where they cut the movie in two. I've checked so many times what is the half point of the book, and I think they should've cut the movie around there - where that chapter ends at least. But I guess they wanted to stuff the Deathly Hallows into this movie.

Best part of the whole movie is the Tale of the three brothers. It's visually more stunning than anything we've seen in Harry Potter movies. It's so awesome it seems completely out of place in this movie. It's still of course an interesting piece of lore, and a nice way to take a break from the events in the movie.

Everything went downhill after Prisoner of Azkaban. I've been wondering why I don't like Harry Potter so much anymore, but this seems to be the reason. None of the later movies were good.

Harry Potter! A movie of fantasy, dueling, magic, whimsy and... moping, bickering and doing the bare minimum of effort to stop the evil wizard.

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
21 July 2014

This is a series in which half the time I think they can make good movies or they're at least trying very hard to do so but in my opinion just doesn't cut it. I mean I liked Prisoner Of Askaban and The Order Of The Phoenix and I thought Philosopher's Stone and Goblet Of Fire were trying to be good, However with Chamber Of Secrets and Half Blood Prince I thought in short - Weren't good movies even though out of all the bad ones Half Blood Prince is the least awful... Then there's this.

The plot is that after Dumbledore dies the world of magic spins out of control with Voldermort reigning power over the entire magic world and kills the new Minister Of Magic. Harry, Ron and Hermione decide to go out and destroy the Horcruxes while they are being wanted or attacked from every single side imaginable and people we knew from the last few movies are getting either killed or kidnapped slowly but surely.

Okay, this is a fantasy film - Can it please lighten the f#ck up. I mean a big complaint I had with the last movie was how lighthearted it was but here friendships are put to the test, parents are unwillingly forced to forget their child, people die on all sides and are forced to their absolute breaking point. That's the whole movie! Just one big stick in the mud of simply saying the villains need to be stopped... I mean the way they celebrate Christmas in this movie is looking at the graves of Harry's parents and seeing where it was this even started. Yeah! That got me into the feeling of what many consider "The most wonderful time of the year!".

Not to mention this is boring! I mean if these characters were doing something I'd be able to take the grim tone but it's usually, they go to the countryside, they set up a spell and find out how to destroy the locket and even when they find out how to destroy it it takes them 20 minutes to actually get the thing which took them no effort and... THAT'S AN HOUR AND A HALF OF THIS MOVIE! Just them moping around the countryside while not actually doing anything to stop it. The only time when they do something is in the last third (Do these movies just have people behind it who say "Throw all your effort into the final act!") when they actually destroy it.

And not to mention - This movie is stupid. I really want to know how they can teleport, I thought they needed an object like a boot or a cup to be able to do that and why is it that they spend most of their time either running or hiding? I mean I know Voldermort has complete control but isn't this the time when that chosen one thing should kick in and why don't they go back at the wedding so they could actually get the help of the resistance against them WHO SPEND THE ENTIRE FIRST 20 MINUTES TRYING TO PROTECT HIM! Well they're doing a bang-up job of that! and I still don't get the whole "Normal people can't see what's going on" when they're being pretty inconsistent on what they can see and what they can't and not to mention - They establish characters and places and I'm like "Hi, this is the audience - WHO ARE YOU?!". I could go on about stuff that they just drop in there - Did you know Harry and Ginny share a love scene? For about 5 seconds and did you also know a witch tells Harry that Dumbledore's family killed normal people and he INSTANTLY believes her... But don't worry because he's known her for quite a time that OF COURSE she could be trusted - TWENTY SECONDS.

So if this movie which is about as heart-warming as showing 2½ hours of a funeral and has characters who spend most of their time moping has convinced you not to see this movie maybe I should tell you what is done right - Well the cinematography, while most of it is just countryside is shot rather nicely and the last third and first 35 minutes are done well. And while the mood of this movie is pretty much moping it does fit with a story like this when they have literally lost almost everything.

So at the end of the day - This is the worst of the Harry Potter movies in my opinion. I mean while Chamber Of Secrets was boring, that at least had some good things to offer and at least that had half an hour devoted to nothing as opposed to nearly half of the movie like this one. I really think if you just read as to which 2 characters in this movie die and that they retrieve Gryffondor's sword - With Deathly Hallows Part 2 I don't think you'll miss much.

The Boring Hallows.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
15 July 2014

The film adaptation of the final Harry Potter novel, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is split into two parts, with this movie being Part I. We see Harry, Ron and Hermoine scramble to find the rest of the Horcruxes to get a shot at defeating Voldemort, whose powers have since grown and who has taken over the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts.

The beginning of the movie consisted of a bunch of wizards helping Harry escape Hogwarts, away from the Deatheaters, which results in some magical action and sophisticated visual effects. Afterward, much of the rest of the movie falls flat; while there is a large cast of characters in the movie, Harry, Ron, and Hermione consume most of the picture, resulting in mostly them sitting in the mountains away from Hogwarts struggling with their angst and anger over and over about their friendship and their uncertainty levels of surviving the Voldermort assaults. This coupled with the lack of magic, action and suspenseful adventures rendered the movie totally boring.

The so-called love/romantic scenes involving Harry and Hermoine and a wedding scene sways away from the film and served no real purpose. The scenes with the Weasley Family attempting to fend off some Deatheaters were pretty exciting, but those were one of but a very few action scenes in the film.

Overall, while you do see the deep emotional impact the events from the previous film had left on the wizards, what you get in this film is few action and just lots of talk, preaching and uninteresting drama. It would have been better if the filmmakers had fitted the entire novel into one film instead of two.

Grade D

A huge disappointment.

Author: Anton Chernyavsky from Ukraine
30 January 2014

Recently I have been watching the entire series for the first time and I have to say I enjoyed all the previous films. The 6th one though left a strange feeling that Rowling was running out of ideas and much of the good stuff was substituted with typical romance. I hoped something was stored for the final story but nope, a big disappointment here. The film feels like a really bad soap opera you are wishing to finally end but can't turn off because you are too much invested into the story. There is almost nothing to keep you entertained, the dialogues are especially lacking and there are lots of them. At the end I even started losing my sympathies towards the three heroes watching them running away from a mere gang of bandits (all of whom got disarmed by a single witch later) and even failing to do that. I mean come on, you are going to kill the almighty Voldemort and can't even stand up against those? And the elf being killed was the final nail in the film's coffin, so predictable and so cheap.

If you value your time, just read the plot on the internet and move on.

time-marking installment

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
25 May 2011

In "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," the penultimate entry in the decade-long "Harry Potter" movie series (it covers only one-half of the final novel with the second half due out at a later time), things are going from bad to worse for our intrepid little band of wand-waving heroes and the people who have taught and raised them. Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) is running for his life from the evil Lord Voldemort, who's made it his life's mission to personally finish off the young lad, and the Ministry of Magic has been taken over by Death Eaters, who have begun a wave of persecution against all Muggle-born witches and wizards.

For those who are die-hard devotees of the "Potter" series and who have literally grown up with these characters, watching "Deathly Hallows" must feel a bit like going to the prom in the run-up to senior graduation (an apt comparison since Harry, Hermione and Ron are now all well into their adolescence with all the teen-drama and angst that that inevitably entails). For those of us who are but casual observers of the tales, the movie feels muddled and poky, its storytelling much too esoteric and confusing and its pacing much too slow. The latter may be attributed to the fact that this is only one-half of the story, with the promise of a tighter resolution to come in the final installment. Still, that doesn't make sitting through this film any more palatable or entertaining.

Part 1 ain't partly much

Author: bluelaguna from Finland
29 April 2011

Steve Kloves seems to always drag his Harry Potter screenplays to as far as he can, getting worse and worse towards the end of the saga. This movie makes few of the basic mistakes of screen writing, over-explaining stuff that don't need explaining and vice versa. It was all alright for the 1 hour mark of the movie, but then the slow dragging started. Poorly written lines, scenes that didn't quite make sense unless you've already read the book, some conflicts that in the end didn't matter, at all. Next time, show, don't tell.

Honestly, I saw no purpose to split the book into two movies, being that the first movie has almost nothing to offer. The CGI effects are excellent as always though, too bad the movie had very few scenes to actually make use of it. I felt like most of the movie, the protagonists were just in the woods sitting with nothing to do, then they suddenly realize something, warp in to a place where the action happens, do stuff, and then warp back to the forest to sulk.

I could summarize the movie like this: Harry Potter fights with Ron, Doppy dies (who wasn't an important character anyway) and Voldemort steals some überwand from Dumbledore's grave.

Darkest N Longest potter movie till date... more story and less magic makes it little unnecessary stretched but seems like Deadly Hallows part 2 will be full o magical Action.

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
3 April 2011

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1 ( B ) Deadly Hallows is the darkest and longest potter movie till date. On one side it was nice to see every aspect was covered with minute details but on the other side it got little stretched and boring. This time again, it was more story and less magic. At one point I thought I'm watching Lord of the Rings rather than Harry potter as the last scenery seems just like it! The graphics used in telling the story of Three Deadly Hallows was truly fantastic, I was just lost in beauty of those graphics. Excellent Job! Daniel Redcliff, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint did a fantastic mature job as actors. Overall, deadly hallow was an almost a perfect part 1 towards the ending of our Beloved Harry Potter.

I guess you had to read the book.

Author: notyou2188 from United States
28 November 2010

I had little idea what was happening during this movie. That being said, I've read books 1-4, and I recently (read: three months ago) re-watched all the movies up until this one. Those movies stand on their own-- you don't need to read the books to appreciate them or be entertained.

That's not quite the case with this movie. There's a lot that's going on. And the crazy thing is, there's a lot of time spent on drawing out scenes which makes no sense. So pretty much, you have these long drawn out scenes, then you have a flurry of story elements and characters thrown at you that anyone who hasn't read the book will be confused by. Apparently a lot of these plot points will be explained in the second movie, mainly everything regarding what the hell was going on, why the sword was where it was, how they found stuff, etc. But frankly, if you haven't read the book, you will just be disappointed and feel betrayed. A great deal of plot points make no sense unless you already know what's happening. That's the main problem with this movie.

But is it a bad movie? Not really. It definitely has some entertaining parts (particularly in the second half of the movie), but it does have some cringe worthy, confusing, and frankly lame sequences. If you've read the book I can almost guarantee you will enjoy the movie. The problem is, this is a movie-- you shouldn't have to rely on the book to get the full experience.

The Deathly Hallows Part 1...so far...

Author: loco_73 from Canada
21 November 2010

Not the strongest beginning to the end of the Potter franchise, I must admit! Yates is not who I imagined, would handle this one...but alas there it is, it's done! There were a few issues I had with the movie itself...The cast is great as always, and never thought they took away anything from the movie however...

Yeah...the editing is not this movie's strong suit...among other things. It was good, but I am still of the belief that for the end movie they should have sought the services of another director. David Yates is a competent director, but he just that, I don't see any imagination on his part, no originality, he is able to deliver a competent visual version of the story, but that is where everything stops.

Personally, I would have wanted to see Alfonso Cuaron return at the helm of the franchise. "Harry Potter And The Prizoner Of Azkaban" remains my favourite of the entire franchise, followed closely by Mike Newel's "Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire".

Don't get me wrong, it is still a good movie, but I don't know how to put it in words, its as if the magic is lacking from the movie...its as if the film is in an odd way flat and subdued...even Chris Columbus got that part right... I also expected more from Alexander Desplat (he did a wonderful job with "Syrianna") in the soundtrack department, it is though, after the fourth movie they just stopped caring about the music, which is so important to the movie franchise.

A 7 out of 10 for now, but I must stress this, I cannot fully grade the movie until I have seen the second part, only then, when I have seen the movie in its entirety will I give a final rating...Oh well I'll wait until next July!!!! When all is said and done, I will give a more detailed review of "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows"...

PS For full disclosure...part of this review also appears as a posting on one of the IMDb general discussion threads...

Too Dark

Author: patlightfoot from Australia
19 April 2011

I was disappointed as I've read the book. The problem for me, was I got black screens a lot. Maybe I had a bum cut DVD. But I'll tell them at the DVD store I hired it from. I had difficulty following the story too, even though I had read the book some years ago.

I'll have to get the other last two films out to see if it helps with continuity of the story line. Maybe it was better viewed on a big screen.

But the scene when he followed the ghostly stag, then found the sword, somehow I only saw shadows and a shining sword. If it had been on TV I would have rushed for the contrast or brightness button, but didn't have one on my TV or the DVD player. Then Ron appeared from no where, didn't seem to make sense to me.

No sorry - it was very disappointing, and I hope the cinematography improves in part 11.

In the book, he dies, and meets Dumbledorf in the ghostly hallows, who gives him a clue how to beat Lord V.

Anyway, I am sure the fans of Harry will still enjoy it, but sorry can't give it more 5 this time.