IMDb > "Pushing Daisies" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Pushing Daisies"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Pushing Daisies" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

WOW - I can't believe the bad reviews... LOVE this show!

Author: caseofthepunks from Canada
28 August 2009

Are you kidding me?? This show is WONDERFUL! Perhaps it may be because I have watched it from episode 1, thus... fully understand the concept completely. Or perhaps it is because I stumbled upon this show by random and had no preconceived feelings.

I absolutely fell in love with this show. I love every character, the way it's filmed, the narration, the actors chosen... EVERYTHING!! I absolutely adore Kristi Chenoweth - too adorable and will make you laugh every episode.

I think if your asking too many questions about this show - it may be too advanced for you. Are you serious?? 'No one would believe if so and so told on him... why don't they bring back history figures to talk? blah blah' IT'S A SHOW. lmao. Makes me laugh... You're looking into it too hard and not just taking it for what it is. Regardless... rent the first season and watch the first few episodes! Awesome show!!

Finally some originality.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
26 September 2007

With reality TV and so and so hitting the airwaves, this show is "a breath of fresh air" in Must See TV department. Fan favorites like CSI, Lost, and of course "Heroes" (also my favorite) are great and all but I long for something more "out there". The movie industry can learn something from this especially with today's summer blockbuster bang and boom to produce something that not only has the potential to bring more people into the theaters, but most importantly, realize that originality and innovation can be more effective than special effects and action with cheesy one-liners and whatnot. Secondly, top-notch acting combined with stellar writing and a great ensemble cast can make all the difference. With a movie season plagued with sequels and remakes, we can all agree on one thing: We want something different!! Give this show a chance. Support it. Maybe Hollywood would catch on and give moviegoers and casuals something new to taste(albeit visually and mentally).

Quirky... in a good way

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
20 October 2009

When I first saw this advertised on television I thought it might be a fun little show, I didn't think it would be something I'd want to own on DVD though... I soon realised that this was something special; the colours are all brighter than normal, the dialogue is more wordy than people really use and the plot is surreal to say the least. All these things could have lead to a disaster but it worked perfectly for me. The cast did a great job bringing their surreal world to life.

Ned isn't like ordinary people; he can bring the dead back to life with a single touch, there are two major catches though, if he touches that person a second time they will die forever and if he leaves a person alive for more than a minute somebody else nearby must die. Using this skill he is able to help private detective Emerson Cod by questioning murder victims. Things change for Ned when one of the victims he revives is his childhood sweetheart Charlotte "Chuck" Charles. He can't bring himself to touch her again which apart from causing somebody else's death leads to a very difficult relationship between them. When Ned isn't dealing with dead people he cooks in The Pie Hole, the pie-restaurant he owns.

Most of the episodes are of the murder-of-the-week variety although there are some continuing threads to the story. The murders are never anything normal; their strangeness reminded me of the 1960s series "The Avengers". As well as having two great leading characters the supporting cast does a great job, I especially liked Kristin Chenoweth's portrayal of the diminutive Olive Snook a Pie Hole employee with a soft spot for Ned but who does not know his strange secret.

It is a shame that the series was cut short but I'm glad that it was given a proper ending even if there were a few loose ends left untied the main story had nice conclusion. This series won't be for everybody but if you want to watch something a bit different I'd recommend giving this show a chance.

Previews looked good but did not deliver

Author: thearm from United States
4 October 2007

The show sounded VERY scripted, forced and it is following the SiFi trend of Heroes, The Lost Room, etc.... Yes, I see the creator of PD is the same as Heroes. I like the idea but I don't think it was delivered very well. There are also some problems with the first episode such as: Lee with the gift feels obligated to Chi. Why, I don't know since nobody would believe Chi if he outed Lee. Also, when Chi witnessed the guy falling off the building only to be brought back to life by Lee, a normal person would not believe what they just saw. Chi believe what he saw right away. Also, Anna was very quick to believe that Lee could bring people back to life.

I will watch the second and third episode to see how the story develops.

Beautiful television

Author: drwordsmith from Liverpool, England
22 July 2009

After having read two or three negative reviews on the main page of IMDb for "Pushing Daisies", and having literally minutes ago finished watching the final episode, I thought it was about time I said what I thought of PD.

First off, to address what some of the issues that I have seen other people having with this show: something along the lines of "I expect the people who have been woken from the dead to have a more realistic reaction". Realistic, on this show ? Pushing Daisies is, truly, pure and utter escapism. It's colour palette, the dialogue used, the scenarios, situations, music: all of it, to me, is just an escape from everyday life. An escape from the mundane and boring. It is here where Pushing Daisies exceeds exceptionally well Pushing Daisies isn't for everyone: A large majority of the television audience don't "get" it, for some people it's just too out there and silly. But for people like me, even from the first episode I watched of it (Season 2's "Frescorts") and I was just blown away by the show. From then on, I bought both the box sets and they have barely been out of my DVD player. Other people I know can't stand it, it really seems to be like Marmite.

The show follows the adventures of Ned, the Piemaker, with a magic finger, who brings back childhood sweetheart Charlotte Charles, works in association with private investigator Emerson Cod, owns the Pie-hole and employs waitress Olive Snook. Completing the main cast members are aunts Lily and Vivian, whom Charlotte (Chuck) is never allowed to see. They live in a fantasy world where the dead are brought back to life, everything is shown with a wonderfully bright splash of colour, and narrated by Jim Dale.

Other than outlining the basics of the show, I really can't praise it much more without saying: Just watch it. Despite being screwed over by the Writer's Guild of America strike, with only 22 episodes ever to be made, it provides wonderful plot twists, story lines, characters and situations while providing (for me) a satisfying ending (yes, I could tell it had been tacked on the end and rushed, but I was still happy with the way it went out). Whether it is creative or just pretentious, for a lot of people (me included) it made the most addictive and wonderful viewing, and I hope for the future of television that more shows like this are created so I'm not left with just 22, 40 minute memories of what true entertainment can be.

Quirky, touching, and wonderful

Author: Jim Powell from United States
23 December 2009

This show is addictively wonderful. The writing and acting are fantastic. Funny, touching, and also intrigue all wrapped into one. Be sure to get this into your DVD player and enjoy it from the beginning to the unexpectedly short end. Watch it, watch it, watch it! There are some great characters and great guest appearances that only help add to the endearing aspect of the show. Kudos to the writers for developing a great storyline that only gets better over time. I just don't understand why this wasn't interesting for the American TV public. Bad time? Too quirky? Not enough studio support? I suspect that the production costs were very high, but all parts of the show (directly, special effects, costumes, sets) are great. Thank goodness it's on DVD, and I can only hope that it somehow comes back in one way, shape, or form.

Come For The Pie - Stay For The Characters

Author: Jav Rivera from United States
19 January 2010

Flawless acting, unique stories, and visual eye candy.

This has to be one of the best examples of what TV should (and essentially) could be if you put it in the hands of real talent. Everyone behind and front of the scenes is working grade A performances. Lee Pace and gang have never fit so perfectly in an ensemble using each of their unique talents to deliver some of the best dialog and storytelling.

The visuals are an obvious standout but leave it to Creator Bryan Fuller to not focus entirely on special effects and set design. Instead, he shows the value of great characters and character development through intriguing stories. And that, my fellow Daisy fans, is why this series works so well.

The biggest frustration, of course, is the cancellation. Why would a show this flawless get canceled? What does ABC have to replace it with anyway? It's just a shame.

I highly recommend you buy the series (BluRay is a must for those with HDTVs) and enjoy what you may never see again on TV. Come for the pie - stay for the characters!

Pushing Daisies

Author: messina44 from United States
2 November 2009

This was my number one show to watch. I have decided not to start watching a new show so that I won't be disappointed because of it's abrupt end. I loved the show. Even though it was frustrating regarding the plot line, the writing and humor got me every show. They could have found a loophole. There is always a loophole, especially with such a magical plot line. Everyone on the show was very talented, and I could believe their fanciful characters. The musical numbers helped drive the suspension of disbelief. Glee has show us that. The only reason I turned to Glee was because of the loss of Pushing Daisies. It is much less mature and negative in humor, but it has it's fun parts too. I wish that a show like this would get more support.

A pleasure that ended too soon.

Author: Blues826 from United States
15 August 2009

Pushing Daisies is just a lovely fairy tale, with shades of "Amelie"'s aesthetic and romance. It's got a beautiful palette, its shots well thought out and detailed, its names and dialogue whimsical and too cutesy to be real, its imagination great, and its romance deep.

Watch the blue in the sky pop out at you, as blue can't be found in the rest of the sets or shots (with few exceptions).

Watch a weirdly natural and totally satisfying song break out of a scene.

Its score is gorgeous, its cast is supremely likable, there's great music, and the two leading romantic stars can't touch each other or she'll die. How much more sexual tension do you need? (Actually, I had wished they found a way around this one, but c'est la vie).

It is simply a show that it is a pleasure to spend an hour with, and I recommend it highly. There hasn't been other television quite like it, and I would like to see more. It got me through a flu one crappy week, as it makes for good company.

Bring it back!

Quirky and wonderful little series

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 June 2011

When Pushing Daisies was on, it always made my day. I just loved how funny, quirky and clever it was. So I was saddened when it ended as abruptly as it did, it may have had a rocky start however it did get much better very quickly and had even more time to progress if given the chance.

I loved Pushing Daisies for several reasons. With skillful photography and striking clothes, lighting and sets, the visuals were constantly very colourful. The music had a lot of charm and quirkiness about it too, the writing was witty and engaging and the stories were clever with an original and imaginative concept. The characters were always fanciful and likable, Jim Dale's narration was sardonic and beautifully delivered, Kristen Chenoweth brightened up every scene she appeared in as did a fair number of those who guested on the show and Lee Pace and Anna Friel were very endearing in their own way.

In conclusion, a gem that ended too soon. 9/10 Bethany Cox