The King of Kong

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters More at IMDbPro »The King of Kong (original title)

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Fairly Accurate Look At Gaming Sub Culture.

Author: GuyCC from Las Vegas, NV
8 September 2007

After having worked with video games in a professional capacity for several years, the people shown in the film were pretty accurate representations of the various levels of gaming personality: The contenders, the arrogant zealots, the wannabes, and the know it alls who claim to be the undisputed masters of things gaming.

The film was funny in a sad, yet sympathetic way. Steve Weibe is this "average" guy who gets his 15 minutes of fame, only to have it continually disputed by a mullet-haired Billy Mitchell (who bore more than a passing resemblance to Superman's General Zod), who seemed to not defend his titles out of fair competition, but out of insecurity that he might not be known as "the best".

The main prize of the whole competition seemed to be not the point of having the highest score in Donkey Kong, but it was more a battle of Steve's point to be credited for a score which he kept earning time and time again, versus Billy's fragile ego. Steve video tapes his high score, Billy contends that it's not credible unless played live. Steve goes to play live in a public place, Billy sneaks out this "top secret" hi-score tape, where the editing and quality are questionable. And yet, that's somehow okay by the judges board.

The Twin Galaxies organization also seems very much like a "Boy's Club" looking out for their "bro", and are willing to subvert their own set guidelines to keep their buddy's prestigious spot within the organization.

As a gamer, it was very frustrating to watch Steve get his title taken away time and time again, due to frequently changing "technicalities" insisted on by Billy Mitchell, especially when Steve proved it repeatedly, and Billy never bothered to show up to any of these competitions at all (save for one where he skulked in the background like a 12-year old comic book villain), much less even play a game during the run of the whole film. The only game he had at all was just running his mouth, and I'm surprised he didn't start twirling his mustache like Snidely Whiplash.

Even if it was the editing that could have put Mitchell more in a negative light, all the editing in the world couldn't remove his preening, skulking, and making arrogant and ridiculous comments throughout the film. He seemed so incredulous that he would be incapable of losing anything he attempted, but it was obvious that he wasn't willing to risk the chance of even the slightest chance of losing. It was very clear that the guy was willing to do whatever it took to not only protect his high score, but his ego and status within his circle of hangers on.

Without divulging anything regarding the ending. my theater clapped at the end of the film due so several surprises that take place in the last 20 minutes or so. In a sense, this is the "Rocky" of video game films (complete with "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background at one point). As a video gamer, I've seen the world portrayed in the film, and there really are Steve Weibes and Billy Mitchells out there, along with the rest of the supporting cast. And for a documentary, it's a lot funnier than what one would expect, though in unexpected ways.

For those who enjoy video games, or even the excitement of seeing an unusual competition, it's a worthwhile film, and definitely recommended if you can find it in theaters.

Excellent, even if you hate video games

Author: qmcz from United States
29 November 2007

Best movie I have seen in years. A wonderful stage is set up for a battle between good vs. evil. Will the underdog, who has been kicked down his entire life, reach his goal of scoring the highest Donkey Kong score ever? Will he meet face to face and defeat the evil, pompous villain in a match of "competitive gaming?" The protagonist is built up as a normal simpleton who has not been able to achieve his goals throughout life even with all the talent that he possesses. The antagonist is portrayed wonderfully as an arrogant hypocrite who thinks that the entire video game world revolves around him. You want nothing more than to see the villain fall down.

Great Film about Video Games, Life, Human Nature and Determination

Author: TheFiftyYearStorm from United States
21 September 2007

I just attended a screening of "The King of Kong" in which I was the only person in the entire theater. While normally I find this to be fun and unique I feel that I lost something viewing KoK alone. I wanted to gage the reactions of other patrons and make sure they were as impressed as I was with this amazing documentary. What I took from the movie, which has yet to be the subject of mass discussion due to the apparent controversies this film has caused is this: Steve Wiebe is a man who seemingly lost his "life", yet became determined to make something his own and finish it to completion. This movie is a story about a man who wants to satisfy his own desires and does so! I applaud Steve for having conviction...a rare quality in this world.

P.S. In addition to the great story of a man who wants something... If you have ever played any of the Kongs, or Pac-Mans, or have ever marveled at someone else's video game ability this is the movie for you!

An outstanding film which earns a perfect score

Author: Alan Rapp ( from United States
31 August 2007

This is a great film which is well made and full of fun eighties graphics and music. It's engaging, compelling, and takes you into a world of competitive video gaming which isn't always pretty, but is all good. Although the film is rated PG-13 (for a "sexual reference" which I can't recall) I would recommend it to the whole family.

As I have noticed there are one or two negative comments here on IMDb and I thought I'd offer my two cents here. First of it's important to realize the film is presented from a certain point of view, I would argue against anyone who says it lies, but you must acknowledge that events might be seen differently though different pairs of eyes, that's just human nature.

- Billy Mitchell: The film is unapologetically presented from Steve Wiebe's point of view - it is his story after all. And although Mitchell comes off as arrogant and egotistical and a jerk at times he isn't "made out to be a villain." In fact the filmmakers offer him endless opportunities to present himself and his case and the reasons behind his actions constantly giving him more and more rope which he only uses to hang himself. It is also important to realize that one of Billy Mitchell's longtime friends, Steve Sanders, who is in the film, stands by his friend but also stands by the film. I had an opportunity to interview Mr. Sanders, who totally enjoyed the film.

- The "Break-In": I've seen a comment or two talking about the "break in" and saying how if it happened the police should have been called. Steve's wife discusses the event in the film and never alleges the two men broke into her house. What she does say was they arrived when Steve wasn't home as she was leaving and her mother was the only one in the house. Since the machine, and the home for that manner, belong to Steve she asked them to wait as he was expected home shortly - which they agreed to do. Here is where POV comes into play again, the men talked their way into the house after she left and dismantled it before Steve got home. Is that a break-in? Well, I'm sure we can agree their activity was hardly 100% honest and above board.

- One comment states that Billy never wanted his 1 million score to be recorded, yet the film contains a phone conversation where he asks Walter Day for the score to be submitted, despite some oddities to the video tape which were never accounted for.

I hope that helps to explain what seems to be some issues people have with the film.

Go to RazorFine Review to read my full review of the film and the interview with Steve Sanders.

Wonderful Film!

Author: snootchie8 from United States
26 August 2007

I usually don't write reviews, but this film compelled me to write how great it is! Yes, Billy Mitchell is portrayed to be a jerk, but after hearing his comments and seeing his actions, there is no denying this is the case. Basically Mitchell and his video game cronies make life difficult for Steve Wiebe when it is found that Mitchell's once long standing score in Donkey Kong has been surpassed. To see Wiebe try to overcome these odds and claim the high score is an inspiring tale and not to be missed!

I also have to comment about the other posters who are speaking of the supposed "break in" to investigate Wiebe's Donkey Kong machine. It is never claimed by Wiebe's wife that they broke in. Rather she told these "investigators" that she was uncomfortable with them looking at the machine while her husband wasn't home. Instead of respecting her wishes, they waited till she left and went in while Steve's mother was the only one at the household.

Real Life Almost Always Stranger Than Fiction

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
3 February 2009

I love these strange documentaries, where real-life people are interviewed, followed around and we get to witness yet another example of how life is often "stranger than fiction." In this case, it's video game geeks. And, man, I mean "geeks." That's the main story here, more specifically, is the quest between two of these " players" to become the top "Donkey Kong" video game champion in the world.

I'll get this out front first: yes, these are real people doing their thing but a lot of this is very contrived and set up for dramatic purposes. The "good guy" is made to look even better than what he probably is, and the "villain" is made to look like the bad guy so much so it's laughable. I mean, come on, man! It's just tooooo hokey.

Steve Weibe looked like the only normal human being in this film, but if you read the ending graphics, you have to ask how many "nomral family men"would be traveling all over the U.S. to set a video game record? The black-hat-and-clothes villain Billy Mitchell was a little too bad to have credibility. Yeah, he's arrogant, and I do believe he his one of those guys who lives on past glory and is deathly afraid of losing in front of a crowd. But, they (with his cooperation, of course) made him into a cartoon character in this film. It was ludicrous..

The more believable parts still made me shake my head in wonder how some people are just plain nuts......and don't know it! "Nerds" is good word to describe almost all of the old arcade video-game zealots. I think the oddest one might have been the "referee," Walter Day, the bearded transcendental meditation guy. He's is the third leading "character" in this documentary. Actually, he didn't appear too wacked until the second half of the film when we saw and heard him trying to sing, among other things.

And by the way, if you've ever read about guys who set multiple records in the Guiness Book Of World Records, they are, indeed, a strange lot. Notice the intense, Charles Manson-type eyes on a lot of these people; it's scary!

Like other documentaries about unusual people or controversies (i.e. "My Kid Could Paint That," "Crazy Love") this will keep your interest throughout and having you rooting for the good guy, big-time, even if it is contrived. In the end, manipulated or not, we care about what happens in this story, so director Seth Gordon did his job well.

Just spectacular

Author: jdevriend from United States
26 March 2007

I was lucky enough to see an unfinished version at the AFI Dallas film festival. The best thing about this movie is that you can enjoy it on any level that you want to, and it still works perfectly. If you want to root for the earnest underdog Steve Wiebe as he tries to break the Donkey Kong world record, overcome some truly pathetic human beings along the way, and step out of his own not-quite-good-enough shadows, you can do that. If you want to learn more about one of the hardest arcade games ever made, and see how players are able to crack the codes on classic games and rack up insanely high scores, you can do that. If you want to laugh at some of the social misfits of the competitive classic gaming elite, many of whom look exactly the same as they did 25 years ago, you can do that. If you want to sit back and enjoy the Uncle Rico, stuck-in-1982, puppetmaster douchebag that is Billy Mitchell, you can do that. (Seth Gordon was at our screening and I thought about asking him if he ever wanted to just blurt out, "Man, you're a loser!" at any point during their interviews.) If you want to just laugh at everyone and think to yourself, "It's fricking DONKEY KONG!", you can do that too. Or you can do all of them at once. The film is layered with so many different plots and subplots and a healthy amount of extremely low-stakes espionage and subterfuge. But importantly, it never feels like there is too much going on.

This movie does everything a great documentary does. It finds a subject that you didn't know you cared about until you saw it. Its characters tell a fantastic story but the movie doesn't choose sides (in this case, one character was so incredibly unlikable that Gordon doesn't have to). And it gets lucky to capture moments that are so surprising, intense, and exhilarating that no one could possibly write them in a script. If you see this version first, you may not want to see the fictionalized version that's in the works, because there's no way it can possibly top the real thing.

Nice guys can and DO finish last.

Author: CrazyJo from New York
19 January 2008

Wow! The greatness of this documentary exceeded tenfolds my expectation. Reminiscent of "Spellbound", this documentary deals with a subject that can be considered living on the margins of "hot documentary topics", but when you have a very talented filmmaker telling its story, you find a drama that is very human.

On the surface, this documentary is about classic arcade games (focusing on Donkey Kong) and its players. But by the end of it, you will see what it means to stand up for what it's right, to stand up against your friend, to find the will to continue after what seems to be endless hurdles, and to stay decent and true when it feels like it doesn't do you anymore good - all play out in front of you in a movie about Donkey Kong.

As the credits roll, you will continue to find yourself rooting fervidly for the film's protagonist, Steve Wiebe, and wish that he does find what he is looking for.

a real gem- absolutely wonderful

Author: lane jarsonbeck (NTESLAFAN05@YAHOO.COM) from Tampa, Florida
18 September 2007

You know how there are so few great films and even fewer great documentaries other than those that make you want to shoot yourself out of self loathing for our planet or our society??? Well here is a film that is dramatic yet fun and will have you wanting more.

I have never rated a film a "10" but this film certainly is a 10 in my opinion. It is as entertaining as the games depicted and quirky as the characters shown. I had never heard of Billy Mitchel before the previews of this film came out- in fact I never knew there was a video game champion of the nation- I never knew there were records kept and scores to beat other than the proverbial 9999999. I wish not to say anything about the characters or the barriers some characters in the film had to overcome because I fear I may give something away and this film is far too wonderful for me to spoil for anyone even if accidental.

Let it be said that one mans quest is endearing, another mans life philosophy proves him to be shallow, void and full of cowardice and yet another is merely a sick groupie for Billy Mitchell. All I can say is that the film is worth the price of admission and concession. I have never rated a film a 10 until now and that when it comes to DVD I will buy it. PLEASE PLEASE see it for yourself!

Classic underdog story--a little too classic

Author: Polaris_DiB from United States
25 June 2009

There's a difference in perception between people who've seen this movie, and those who haven't. Those who haven't seen it but know about it pretty much assume that it's a Darkon-like make-fun of people who take their "games" a lllliiiittttlllleee too seriously. Those who have seen it felt their air choked off as they journeyed into some of the darkest arenas of the human soul.

It's actually a pretty archetypal story of a man fighting and clawing his way to the top against corporate oppression. Steve Wiebe gets it in his mind that he wants to beat the high score of Donkey Kong, held for twenty years by the nefarious Snidely Whipla--I mean, Billy Mitchell. Wiebe's a small-town guy, he's lost his job, all he wants is to make something of himself with his brains and his talents, but first he has to confront the system. The system is headed by Walter Day, who, without knowing Wiebe personally, has to essentially distrust him until Wiebe proves himself live. Wiebe does so, but is met at every corner with the terrible and devious machinations of Mitchell, who won't confront Wiebe live but does everything in his power to pull the ropes to destroy him.

Okay, so this movie is a little over-exuberant. Though Billy Mitchell does show a lot of cockiness in his self-assuredness on-screen, and though it's obvious that Steve Wiebe really cared about what he was doing, I can't help but feel a strong editorial leaning in this movie to help make it more dramatic. Real life isn't quite this cut-and-dry, and though Mitchell is incredibly self-centered, I'd be willing to bet his side has something to say about this movie.

However, the underdog wins, trust is regained in the world, and the man who pulled himself up against constant adversity with the straps of his boots finally gets his apotheosis. So what's not to like about a movie like that? Tell you what, I'll settle for calling it "inspired by true events".

Page 2 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]