IMDb > Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs

The Ancient Practice Gets a New Look.

Author: daffid575 from United States
5 October 2007

Mummies: Secret of the Pharaohs is an exceptional Imax film. The cinematography is beautiful (Egypt in Imax, need I write more?!), the recreations convincing, and most importantly, the film is engrossing. Intertwining three separate but related stories, Mummies: SotP, explores the far and near past in a fresh fashion all the while keeping an eye on their payoff - these separate pasts' unexpected role in advancing our future (no revelations will be made here. It's worth it to see the film!)

Films should be entertaining, that is a given. When they are educational as well...well you just can't help but leave the theater thinking that your dollar went far further than you've come to expect, and that, in my book, is always a reason to recommend a film!

Watch and learn

Author: eloise-napier from United Kingdom
5 November 2007

This is a very enjoyable film and an experience which kids, in particular, will find captivating. It successfully gets across the sheer magnificence and sophistication of Ancient Egyptian society; the level of detail is extraordinary and the historical accuracy spot on - a feat which many films sadly fail to achieve. This is thoroughly worth watching, both intellectually and aesthetically. With the upswing of interest in all things Egyptian at the moment, the timing could not be more perfect. If you can get hold of the DVD, The Making of the Mummies, so much the better because it highlights what a feat it was to create this movie, with hundreds and hundreds of extras involved, incredibly harsh weather conditions in the desert and extremely complicated sets to create.

IMAX to the max

Author: artibeus-jamaicensis from United States
6 October 2007

I'm usually bored by this kind of movie aimed at a science center crowd, but this one had me taking it all in.

Visually stunning but full of substance too. Great use of IMAX in the desert and tombs. Weaves stories of discoveries old and new together with amazing shots, and scientific information.

Makes complicated science easy to understand, and thrills with the story of the Rasul brothers. I would like to learn more about the DNA experiments and how they can help today.

Great timing with the King Tut exhibit in Philadelphia. Looking forward to any follow-ups on the subject.

Superb!

Author: babunnel from United States
15 October 2007

Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs is probably one of the best IMAX movies I've ever seen. The entire film portrays the beauty of Egypt with High definition like Excellence. The story line was excellent and the scientific nature of the film was a nice added touch. I would like to say the producers and Director of the film did a phenomenal job. The movie itself is centered around Ramses the great. They go back into Egypt's historical past to show you how they lived and prospered. It also goes into great detail on how scientist are trying the find where the DNA lies within a mummies body to track more history from the past.

All in all, it was a magnificent film! I know a lot of people wont see an IMAX Film if they are not in the 3D, but Some people seriously just need to bypass the vagueness and hop on board and watch this flick! You definitely will not be disappointed!

Only for wannabe archaeologists

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
5 May 2017

"Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs" is an IMAX documentary from 2007, so this one has its 10th anniversary this year. For director Melton and writer Cecil, it is probably among the most known efforts from their career. At under 40 minutes (and that includes credits already), it is definitely one of the shortest IMAX works. But in this case, it is a good thing because I somehow did not feel this one at all. From a scientific perspective, it seemed almost pointless to me and this is also shown by the presence of the Simon Cowell of Egyptian archaeology Zahi Hawass. But he is by far not the biggest problem here. It's a combination of several actually. Narrator Christopher Lee that I otherwise like seems monotonous and lackluster. The reenactments were not convincing either, neither thematically nor visually. Of course, we don't have video or audio footage from the days of the pharaohs, but I still expect something better than displayed in here. As a whole, this one is not for the distinguished mind and it is certainly among my least favorite IMAX documentaries. And this means something as I have seen more than just a few. Thumbs down. Don't watch.

Good Documentary

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
7 February 2016

Mummies: Secrets of the Pharaohs (2007)

*** (out of 4)

Christopher Lee narrates this documentary, which was originally shown in IMAX theaters. I had to watch it at home but I can imagine how great some of the images must have looked on such a large format. With that said, the story being told here was rather interesting as the documentary takes a look at ancient Egyptian history and the various import discoveries throughout the years. These discovers are of course traced back to tomb robbing, which was a major source of money back in the day. The main focus is on the biggest discovery, which led to various founders of Egypt being discovered.

The other focus of this documentary is on getting DNA from mummies in hopes that one day we can tell what people died of. For the most part I found this to be an entertaining documentary. I watched it with my six-year-old son who loves this subject and he was slightly entertained by it, although he wasn't overly interested in the DNA stuff. There are some nice images of various mummies that have been discovered over the years as well as some nice information of their discovery. Lee certainly does a very good job with the narration with that terrific voice of his.

imax 3d

Author: RResende from Porto, Portugal
4 May 2009

This was my first experience with IMAX, as well as with 3D. I'm a few years late, i know.

So, having the experience was the only reason why i went to see this. I was, and still am amazed at the possibilities of the medium. I couldn't know what to expect, though i thought about it several times. What fascinated me was not how "real" the experience is, but how "beyond real" it may become. Cinema lives on enhancing common sensations to degrees in which we react. In cinema, colours bust be highlighted, contrasts as well, well, even drama and narrative dynamics (like in theater). The 3D, associated with the super screen opens new windows to those possibilities, it's a technical possibility that creates a whole vast area of dark places for clever filmmakers to explore. How exciting is that? As a first experience, i recorded to aspects, which i think may be of great interest.

One is the power of a landscape, not because it is enlarged, not because it is "real", but because the right image, edited in the right sequence, can be of a higher impact. Imagine the explosions in Antonioni's Zabriskie Point, with all those points of view, enhanced to the point that they blow your head. I hope the market and film industry will turn to IMAX with enough strenght to make it usable for our "authors" to think specifically for it, to explore the depths of the medium, instead of the superficial effects i imagine have been used so far.

The other aspect is how this medium might revolutionize the relations between space and cinema. How we might rephrase the way we make a film become "spatial" through the way we move around space. I mean, even in a documentary with such mundane footage as this one i watched i felt the power of moving around. Of course here we have the depiction of Egyptian architecture, which lives on mystery, on moving around, and that is highly cinematic. And the film was also thought to produce certain effects associated to its format. But i kept thinking about the possibilities. What would the best filmmakers do with this? Can you imagine what would Orson Welles have done, if he ever had the possibility to shoot for IMAX? Or Hitchcock, or de Palma, who actually is around and still working, who knows.

The documentary in itself, is leveled after the History channel model, with off voices telling facts, footage of the remains of the old civilization, and stagings of old happenings. Mundane, except for the effects thought specially to work on the medium, which were new to me, but which i suspect will be vulgar, as soon as i repeat the experience enough times, with other films.

My opinion: 2/5 http://www.7eyes.wordpress.com

This didn't need to be an IMAX movie.

Author: gzamikes from United States
8 June 2007

This feels like a history channel special. There were a few neat IMAX camera shots but not really enough to take advantage of the overly large screen.

There's some basic information about who the mummies most likely were, a view in on an experiment where some scientists make a modern mummy in order to try and figure out where to withdraw DNA from old mummies and some stuff on tomb robbers.

That's basically it. I'd advise seeing it if you're obsessed with mummies but otherwise there isn't too much you can get out of this movie.