IMDb > The Legend of Tarzan (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Legend of Tarzan

The Legend of Tarzan More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I've seen stencil graffiti with more depth than this

Author: fortheloveofcinema
7 July 2016

If you want to see a painfully unoriginal and unengaging story of paint-by-number characters getting at it in the green room for 90% of the time, go see this movie.

The most deplorable thing about this movie - aside from the plot being an incoherent mess - is the way the villains are portrayed as caricatures, and the good guys as saints who can do no wrong. I don't know about you, but when the villains are portrayed as sadistic psychopaths with no real motive or character, I lose interest in the story.

tl;dr lots of CG, completely two-dimensional characters and a plot that could've been auto-generated with a smartphone app.

It will have you screaming from the trees

Author: James Smith from Australia
10 July 2016

How, in this modern day, with such high standards of education and courses on script writing and film making, can a big budget film like this one be so bad? It was only because we watched in it Gold Class, in comfortable seats and with food service, that we didn't walk out.

After about fifteen minutes my partner leaned over to me and asked when anything was going to happen (in the movie that is). I couldn't help her.

In fact my seat was so comfortable, and the movie so bad, that I fell asleep three times.

When my partner told me she thought this was the worst movie ever, and that she was confused, I couldn't help her again - I'd been asleep.

I did however witness the butterfly land on Jane's shoulder, then fly off. What a beautiful CGI scene. Totally irrelevant to the plot or story, and I'm still not sure why it was included.

Then there was the scene when giant ostriches nearly trample Tarzan and his mate. At last, I thought, something is going to happen. Tarzan's mate asks Tarzan what did the Ostrich say. Tarzan replies something like - "The Ostrich is telling you it can trample you." And then, the Ostriches run off. That's the last we see of them. Confused? I was.

The writers and director don't know whether Tarzan is Spider Man, Batman or some other action hero - but he certainly isn't Tarzan.

The poor old apes get a very bad rap here. They are huge, aggressive monsters with razor sharp teeth.

This movie is a showcase of when bad script writing, bad directing and masses of CGI meet.

I can only recommend this film to people watching it on late night TV, when they need to be put to sleep.

What would Tarzan say about this movie: AwwwwwwOaaaaaaaaWhaaaaaa

On a side note, it is interesting to see that people that rate this movie high, usually have only one review in their list - this one. This usually means that they have some connection to the film.

(Edit 2 days later) I rest my case. After posting this review, 6 positive reviews have been posted after mine, all saying this is the greatest movie ever, and 4 of the reviewers have only 1 review to their name - this movie, and the other two reviewers have 2 reviews to their name. With a ratio of 6 biased reviews to 1 honest review, no wonder it is getting so hard to trust the IMDb rating system anymore.

LEGEND OF TARZAN--A Common Sense Review

Author: Dennis Miller
1 July 2016

It's simple. If what you want is a live-action version of the Disney cartoon, or a remake of those old "Me Tarzan, you Jane" camp fests, this isn't the film for you. If you don't like the character to begin with, this isn't the film for you. The vast majority of critics who thus far have given the movie unfavorable reviews fall into one or both of these two categories. It's disheartening, and it's so obvious they don't really know anything about the character and don't care enough to learn.

If, however, you have yearned for the day in cinema when Edgar Rice Burroughs' epic hero is treated with the gravitas and respect he deserves, and if you enjoy epic jungle adventure with a heart, by all means GO SEE THIS MOVIE! It is phenomenally good! Think of it like you would a dish of food. Let's say spiced curry. If you don't like spiced curry, you won't like it no matter how well it is prepared. This movie is for those who enjoy spiced curry. For those who love it, this is the most delicious dish you're ever likely to taste.

Legend of Tarzan -- Pulp Poetry With a Beating Heart

Author: Michael Sellers (sellers-michael) from United States
29 June 2016

There's a moment in David Yates' excellent and emotionally resonant Legend of Tarzan when George Washington Williams', played by Samuel L. Jackson, goads civilized Tarzan, played by Alexander Skarsgard, just a little too much. Alexander Skarsgard's Tarzan erupts instantly and spectacularly with a combination of physical force and gut-chilling animal sounds and pins the American to a wall, then growls out the words: "They have my wife, and their families." In this single small moment, Yates and Skarsgard put on display Tarzan's utter commitment to the woman he loves while at the same time same evoking the internal contradiction of a man who in adulthood could pass among society as a aristocratic Englishman, but whose feral upbringing has left him with a volatile beast within that can overwhelm the civilized trappings in an instant. Unlike the filmmakers who have come before him, Yates effectively captures this duality – and in so doing delivers a film that is fresh and appealing to modern sensibilities, yet is faithful to the character of the books in ways that Hollywood has never attempted before. The result is pure pulp poetry with a beating heart. Edgar Rice Burroughs would approve of it, and 21st century audiences will, if they can be lured into theaters to see it, be intrigued and satisfied by it.

Legend of Tarzan begins eight years after Tarzan and Jane (a luminous and effective Margot Robbie) have left Africa to undertake a gentrified life in London, where Tarzan has claimed his birthright of John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke. He is drawn back to Africa at the behest of George Washington Williams (Samuel L. Jackson), a black American journalist who is based on the historical figure who led the exposure of the crimes of King Leopold II of Belgium. Williams recruits him to assist in Williams' quest to investigate the suspected crimes of King Leopold. Accompanied by Jane, the two men return to Africa where Leon Rom (Christoph Waltz) has laid a trap for Tarzan that, if successful, will result in Rom delivering Tarzan to Chief Mbonga (Djimon Hounsou), who seeks to deliver vengeance to Tarzan for killing Mbonga's son many years earlier. Mayhem and adventure ensues.

When Edgar Rice Burroughs was firing on all cylinders, his pulpy, emotionally infused adventure novels were able to strike a mythic vein that caused him to become the J.K. Rowlings of his day – the first global superstar pop culture author, translated into 57 languages, his books and characters embedded in cultures from Russia to Turkey and Japan. At the time of his death in 1950 he was the best known author on the planet with his works selling more than the combined sales of his contemporaries Hemingway, Faulkner, and Joyce. Hollywood tried more than fifty times and although the movies obviously met with success — not one of them ever captured what the grand old pulp master had created on the page. Yates is the first to do it; his Legend of Tarzan stands head and shoulders above the Tarzan movies that came before it–and regardless of how it fares in the crowded summer theatrical marketplace, it is assured of a place in cinema history as the Tarzan movie that captured the heart and spirit of Burroughs' creation.

It remains to be seen how 2016 audiences react. Has Tarzan's time on the world stage passed, or is there indeed something mythic and archetypal that can cause the character to come alive in the modern imaginations? Yates and his team have given it an extraordinary "best shot" and have created something of heart, beauty, and lasting value. The editing of the film by Mark Day is taut and streamlined –not a moment is wasted and the story drives forward with energy and commitment; Henry Braham's cinematography is cool and brooding in London, and lush and earthy in Africa; the production design by Stuart Craig is grand and evocative; and the music by Rupert Gregson Williams is both emotional and pulse-quickening. Special mention goes to screenwriters Adam Cozad and Craig Brewer who updated the Burroughs material, giving it unexpected historical gravitas, while excavating from the pages of the early Tarzan books the core values that made them unique. And the CGI wizardry is seamless, photo-realistic, and effective on all levels.

Give Legend of Tarzan a chance to work its magic on you. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Flawed but never boring

Author: somf from United States
29 June 2016

I am really surprised at the mediocre reviews so far of this film. Honestly when I first heard about the film I had little interest in seeing it, but the trailer was better than I expected, and when has Christoph Waltz been anything short of terrific in every role he has played, but particularly when he is a bad guy. (Come to think of it has he ever been a good guy?) The whole cast is solid, and I really liked the historical setting concerning the Belgian King Leopold and his exploitation of the Congo.

I found all the animals and the CGI to be surprisingly cheesy. Undoubtedly the weakest link in the film, but that factor did not subtract much from a constantly entertaining and solid story. Besides the cheesy CGI the rest of the film looked terrific. I would recommend to see it on the big screen. It will probably lose a lot on smaller screens. Good summer popcorn film.

Waste of time and money

Author: stanleyprunty from Bristol
8 July 2016

This movie started off quite well, for a movie I had quite mediocre expectations it caught my interest when it introduces some interesting characters with mixed motives, unfortunately that and a few good cinematic shots is where the praise ends for this movie.

This movie had potential which only makes it even more disappointing,we're first introduced to Tarzan as a British politician and is then forced to rediscover his wildness but lacks any real character and only comes across one dimensional with the traits of an angsty teen who's marriage we're supposed to care about but I'm not sure why

This movie tries to incorporate way to many elements, the overall plot about the enslaving the Congo and getting rich from a mythical city full of jewels that we're not even allowed to see at any point combined with fueds with passed foes that don't really come to any settlement a tribe leader that had his son killed by Tarzan that wants revenge, gorilla brother that wants him dead, trying for a baby and flashbacks of a potentially better film we could have had, they rush through these very quickly without really developing or keeping your interest

Some really awful scenes, Samuel Jackson who I'm not sure needed to be in this movie jumps off cliffs only to land unscathed on a branch, combined with a very predictably unsatisfying ending that couldn't of come fast enough and causally wrapped up with all the bad guys defeated, they may as well have froze in the air jumping to the backdrop of a sunset, with the joy of sweet release as the credits rolled to only leave me with a face like a bulldog eating a wasp and annoyed and frustrated that I have wasted time and money sitting through another failed sequel that is sure to fade into obscurity

Overall this movie lacks any fun or adventure, poorly directed as this movie lacks any identify, wouldn't recommend this film to anyone other than my worst enemy, all round disappointment

The Legend of Tarzan is Magnifique!

Author: whitewitch-72521
30 June 2016

I just experienced The Legend of Tarzan, and in the immortal words of the Countess Olga de Coude "Magnifique!" is the only thing that I can think.

Sadly, I arrived at the theater for the early release of TLOT to an empty theater. I sat alone in the center of the empty theater reading my copy of The Return of Tarzan quietly in wait for the movie to begin. Slowly a few other viewers trickled in but sadly, the theater might as well have been completely empty.

The previews for other movies came and went as previews do and then the opening of this long awaited Tarzan began.

I sat in rapture as Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan came to life in front of my eyes. Yes, It IS ERB's Tarzan. There are liberties that Mr. Yates took with the characters and locations, but all in all, THIS IS TARZAN as he was meant to be. Quiet, Strong, Passionate, steely eyed... "Magnifique!"

The Mangani are Mangani. They are not chimps nor gorillas. They are huge, magnificent beasts. Were Mr. Burroughs alive today, I wholeheartedly believe that he would jump up and down like a young child shouting "YES! YES! That's them!"

Kala is every child's mother, protective and loving. The relationship between Tarzan and her is perfectly portrayed. The love Tarzan feels for his ape mother is passed on to the movie viewer to be felt, not just seen.

The panoramic views of the jungle are even as ERB described them to be. Dark, foreboding, beautiful and deadly. It is the jungle of Tarzan.

This is not an action movie in the vein of Captain America or any of the modern action movies. It is a story. A very well told story of adventure driven by the love of a man for his mate. Is there action? Of course there is action. It wouldn't be Tarzan without action. But first and foremost, it is a very well written and delivered story. It is a story that Edgar Rice Burroughs himself would have told. He would be proud and finally relieved that his creation had finally come to life in a manner that does justice to his creative genius.

I sat through the movie mesmerized. Spellbound. It ended just like it should, you won't be disappointed.

As the credits began to roll, I quietly stood up, still in a mostly empty theater, and walked out to my awaiting truck to drive home and write this review.

If people listen to the critics who did not like this movie, they will be missing out.

For those of us who love the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs, GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

I wish I could say more, there is so much to say. I'll end this with this. I'll go see it again, and again and when it comes out on DVD, I'll own it and watch it till I have seen it as many times as I have read the books, which is really saying something.

Legend of Tarzan, A Really Great Movie

Author: oarkas from United States
29 June 2016

They finally portrayed the Tarzan character more like Burroughs wrote him! This is the best Tarzan movie I have ever seen. The acting is superb, and the settings are beautiful. The movie was so good that it seemed like I wanted it to last longer. It was sheer entertainment!

The stars of the film were really excellent in their roles, and I thought the two main characters perfectly played their roles. The rest of the cast were excellent also.

The story moves along briskly, and the plot is very effective.

I believe people will enjoy it, even if they know nothing about Tarzan. This is a very enjoyable movie, and I recommend it. We are going to see it again this weekend and bring our family and friends!

Wtf?

Author: johnwiltshireauthor from New Zealand
8 July 2016

I'm not sure what I've just watched, and trust me, only the freezing cold NZ winter day could have kept me inside watching this dross. Oh, and Alexander Skarsgard's chest. I admit that. Where do I start? I get that we've moved into a world where everything white and male is bad, and everything black and female is good, but seriously? Trying to squeeze the Tarzan legend into that narrative as well? Why not write your own damn stories and leave ones like this in the past. So, we have every single non-white person heroic; every single white person psychopathic (except Tarzan, of course. Even Hollywood can't write the narrative which puts Samuel L Jackson into the actual Tarzan role. Yet). I resent having to pay for this ludicrous propaganda. I studied African history for my degree. Where do you think the slave trade originated? Who stopped it? Yeah, go do some research and answer those questions for yourself. I think at the end of this movie (I don't care if there are spoilers ahead; this film is THAT bad) Tarzan and Jane have opted to stay in a squalid African hut to have their baby because, ya know, who'd want a huge manor house in England with servants and hygiene? I give up. This film makes me want to stop watching movies.

Horrible

Author: robkvog from Los Angeles
9 July 2016

Really one of the top ten worst films I've seen in my life. The plot was paper thin, if there was a plot at all. I knew going into this that it was going to be mostly about the digital gorillas, the babe, and the hunk. What I didn't expect was the flimsy dialogue, scenes unconnected to the "plot" and such miserable drivel coming out of the mouths of the actors. I was also surprised by the pseudo environmentalist doctrine they weave into the plot. The babe is being taken away by the bad guys to her death and the only thing she can say is, "Promise me you wont hurt the animals." Really? The best line in the movie is when the black guy says, "Can we just stop this?" My sentiments exactly. The overly sensitive, crying, cannibal warlord was a bit too much.

Page 1 of 38:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]