IMDb > This Is Not a Test (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

This Is Not a Test More at IMDbPro »

totally worthwhile

Author: fitz-49 from los angeles
11 February 2009

Great film, hilariously acted, tom Arnold at his best. It does a lot of emotion and humor in simple situations that are truly funny and tugs at the romantic in me. It's a date movie and a comedy in one and a lot of subtle and great film-making in it. The main character (and this film) have a lot of heart. There's a great flow about it and the city itself is a great character, too. As someone who loves 24, and lives in LA, I thought this really captures the sense of place and the ridiculousness of being afraid of the news. It has a surprise ending that really got me thinking. The main point shows us something funny in terrorism and the world of paranoia. I laughed out loud. rent it.

A cute comedy with Tom Arnold in a surprising role

Author: slapshot24 from United States
14 December 2008

Tom Arnold is appearing in a few indie films to bulk up his body of work. The producers of this gem were lucky enough to get him, and they've made the most of his talents by letting him play an ever-so-slightly strange LA citizen who turns to survivalism to cope with the madness of modern life.

But, of course, the movie isn't really about Tom (as himself) or his hobbies. It's about the love between Carl (Hill Harper, CSI: NY) and his wife Viv (Robinne Lee, Buffy the Vampire Slayer). And the complexity of the urban family. And the need to just vent it all some times.

The movie just works. It's a good movie to spark a conversation after a glass of wine, and a good movie to watch with friends when relaxing. There are moments of humor, and moments of gritty urban decay. It defies classification as a pure comedy, but ultimately the story will bring a smile to your face.