IMDb > Jackboots on Whitehall (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jackboots on Whitehall

Jackboots on Whitehall More at IMDbPro »

Backs to the wall, but freedom will prevail

Author: russellalb from Edinburgh, UK
20 June 2010

The credits at the end said 'Many puppets were harmed during the making of this film' which is certainly true. It's hard to describe this film, a bit like a mix of Team America (but these aren't marionettes), and a whole bunch of war films, I loved spotting the references from everything from Zulu to Apocalypse Now. There's a love story, the Hollywood style inclusion of an American, Billy Fiske, taking a main part (Tom Cruise wanted to do this in a proposed film 'The Few' about the real Billy Fiske). I loved it and gave it 8 stars, but will it be you're cup of tea? I don't know but hopefully there'll be plenty more reviews to guide you and explain this film better than me before it's released.

Divides opinion!

Author: girlychemist-7-67226 from United Kingdom
21 March 2011

Maybe it's because I grew up on Supermarionation but I loved this! The references to war films - and their clichés, they come thick and fast. Trying to guess who voiced which character. It also for me referenced British children's comics from the 70s, for e.g. Commando for the boys and Bunty for the girls. The animation was bad enough to be inspired. The individual characterisations made me think of the old Margaret Rutherford films. The young are all beautifully bland and everyone over 40 is a grotesque. If you want a film that evokes wet Saturday afternoons sat on the hearth rug in front of a black and white TV clutching your comic, this is it. It could have only been improved if Al Murray had been the village pub landlord!

Brilliant!

Author: Eric Butler from United States
28 July 2010

My friends and I waited over an hour in line for tickets to this movie at the Edinburgh Film Festival as it was touted as one of the top 10 to see. The trouble was finding tickets as both screenings were sold out! The organisers added it to best of show on the last day of the festival - luckily. I absolutely loved it! Brilliant! Stan Steel how did you see the movie again in July??? EIFF ended June 26th and I was at the last screening. I know it definitely hasn't been released because I've been tracking its status online. The art direction and animation were mind-blowing! At points I even had to remind myself that these were in fact puppets! I definitely recommend seeing this whenever it's out in theatres. Tally ho!

British, epic, puppets.

Author: Yamz Randolf from United Kingdom
9 October 2010

Stan Steel, i have no clue what film YOU were watching, but i for one thoroughly enjoyed this flick... Winston Churchill? As a puppet? Oh my, genius! This film can't get a 10/10 from me personally, i mean, it's no Schindler's list, or Titanic, it's not about to become an instant classic -- take it with a pinch of salt, what you get for your time is a hilarious take on WWII Britain, with a great cast of voice actors. I'm so glad this wasn't another hack at American humour. The film was well executed, admittedly the effects weren't Transformers style, but it just added to the humour of the film. Conclusion: an extremely cutesy British comedy... with puppets (:

Audacious, wickedly funny puppet show

Author: LCShackley from United States
30 July 2011

This movie is NOT for people whose idea of humor is "South Park." It's more for people who enjoy "Little Britain" or "League of Gentlemen." I laughed all the way through, not only because of the jokes (some of which appear to be far too subtle for most of the reviewers here), but because of the audacious premise of using what appear to be Barbies and GI Joes to "act" in a WW2 film. If you don't know the Ealing comedies, or British war films, or history for that matter, you will probably scratch your head at this film. But if you enjoy the quirky, or you were ever a little boy who made war SFX while playing with toy soldiers, you just might enjoy it. The voice cast features some of the finest British actors.

This is NOT a movie for kids, as there is a fair amount of "language" (mostly from an insane vicar played by Richard E. Grant), some brief sexual humor, and some graphic, bloody violence (which nevertheless is very funny since it involves the dismemberment of plastic action figures). Enjoy this weird spoof of war movie clichés, and don't complain about the quality of the puppets. If you do, you're completely missing the point.

Inglorious Thunderbird Basterds

Author: TerryDaniel from United Kingdom
17 October 2010

The invasion of England has happened the Nazi swine have invaded.The whole of the British Army is stuck in Dunkirk.A Sleepy country town must save England and seek help from SCOT-LAND only to find the Scots are still a bunch of savages.Will the threat of the Nazis be wiped out will they be sent packing down the hole they made.

Funnily enough I have been waiting for a film like this for years now and finally here it is. Jackboots on Whitehall is a great piece of work.It was a labour of love for the creators.

I saw it at the Odeon in Panton Street which it seemed was the only cinema to be showing this.

Jackboots on Whitehall will be forgotten quick and I doubt it will reach the box office top ten.What a thoroughly enjoying rump and did I mention its a puppet film but a bit more.Of course some of the jokes are obvious and you can see them coming before they happen.Lots of laugh out loud moments such as the protection of F.A.N.Y,The polish builder who just wont stop working,and the Raj army sitting on top of the roof of the bus they travel on.The Braveheart jokes were a grown fest. My only problem with this I would of cut maybe 10 minutes out but not sure where from. Jackboots on Whitehall had quite a good soundtrack.This for me did a little more than Team America but there really cant be a comparison because there not even made by the same creators but these are the two racy puppet films. The film is filled with Allo,Allo moments as well as spoofs Where Eagles Dare and Battle of Britain. This is easily in my Top Ten films of the year.

Funny and well-written but more please...

Author: Aidan21 from London
16 October 2010

After seeing the tag line on the trailer "Team America meets Inglourious Basterds", I was eager to see this. And it didn't disappoint. Well not too much.

Some may bemoan the puppetry, you can see the rivets a mile away on the joints (imagine the elbow of an Action Man figure), but the non-stop action distracts you from this. It's funny too, delivering excellent caricatures of historical characters, as well as a huge amount of comical references to other films.

However, the nature of a puppetry film is that a lot of hard work goes into it, and as a consequence, the length of the film cannot be too long. This film was so good, that I almost forgot at some parts that it wasn't a live action film. So when it ended, I was left wanting more. I felt as if not enough had happened, and was slightly disappointed.

But not to worry, it's still worth a watch.

It;s funny but might not be for everyone

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
23 January 2012

This film is a stop motion animation about a farmer's crucial role in helping Britain to defeat the Nazi Germans in the Second World War.

"Jackboots on Whitehall" is a comical rewrite of the British history. It has many R rated stuff, such as gory scenes and politically incorrect jokes. The jokes are at times offensive, but they are so funny that will make you laugh. Notice the map of Britain in the film, it is quite funny! The character designs are good, you can clearly see the difference between the British and the Germans. And the female characters are all so attractive! "Jackboots on Whitehall" is not for everyone. If you are in the mood for something different, you might want to watch this one.

really enjoyed

Author: tom-catton from kingswinford west mids
6 September 2013

I am currently 15 minutes into this film and can already see he who rated it 1/10 is a numpty with the sense of humour of a bag of cement! Warning maybe spoilers!!!!!! All star cast, great animation and any film that rips the piddle out of the Germans is alright by me lol. looking forward to watching the rest of the film, which then I shall write a full review. I cant stop laughing. A Polish man fixing the telegraph pole, typical modern Britain! Great references to other films!! Just a really good Laugh out loud film. Will write a better review once I've seen it all!!! but must say, im really lookingforward to it and just trying to fill up space to fall inline with IMDb's saft 10 line minimum review We shall retreat to Scotland!!!!

My God I think my sides split!

Author: chucknorrisrules from United Kingdom
21 August 2012

It may look like a team America knock off (actually maybe it is) but it is an utterly hilarious team America knock off! The idea of alternate history is brilliant. I won't spoil the jokes, but some of them had my insides aching from laughter. True there is some British humour that some people may not get, but the sheer ludicrousness of the film's premise is just inspired. The voice acting is really good, with a decent cast.

We start off after Dunkirk, only the British Army has not escaped, and nobody is left to fight. London comes under attack and the English are forced north to Scotland with the help of a farmer from Kent, and the inhabitants of the village, Winston Churchill, an American, aaaand...I won't spoil the outcome, but needless to say, you will be very much amused if you aren't laughing your head off.

Not as politically edgy as Team America or blatantly vulgar, but if you like British comedy, give it a go! I may be biased, but I completely loved it.