IMDb > "Damages" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Damages"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Damages" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Best TV series I've seen in years

Author: serpico-25 from Germany
29 October 2007

Suspense from the first minute of the pilot to the last minute of episode 13. Don't trust anybody and nothing is what it seems. Very tricky story about law, murder and money and an excellent casting. It's not like other TV shows, one story per episode, its more like a mini series in thirteen parts, don't miss a single one.

Excellent acting by Glenn Close, Rose Byrne and Tate Donovan. I wonder if there will be a season 2 because I don't know how they can keep up with this one. But still there are some questions to be answered.

So if you missed Damages watch out for the rerun, it's worth every minute. And I'd like to mention that when I'm watching TV I don't try to find holes in the plot or to look out for goofs so it could be that I've got carried away a little bit.

I can't wait for Season 2

Author: Gale Beck from Canada
9 March 2008

I just finished watching the finale of season one of Damages. All I can say is bring on season two! I missed the show when it originally aired and read about it later. I was fortunate enough to download the complete season although it took some doing.

Truthfully the reason I was uninterested in the show originally was because I've never been able to warm up to Glen Close since Fatal Attraction. Not an unusual reaction I guess. But I am so glad I finally got over my aversion to her which was based only on a character she played.

She is in fact a terrific actor, as is Rose Byrne who plays Ellen Parsons.

I cannot compliment this show enough. It was a real surprise to me. I have always enjoyed legal dramas but this is so much more. It is a thriller really and different from other legal ensemble shows which concentrate on courtroom drama. This one never enters the courtroom.

Starting at the end and working back in flashbacks it is so interesting. Like a giant puzzle which you put together piece by piece. By the end most of the pieces are in place. Enough to make you feel very satisfied.

However, there are still enough little pieces left out to start a new puzzle for season 2. So as I said "bring on season 2 asap".

One last thing. Ted Danson as Arthur Frobisher was great as well. Played with understated evil I found this to be his best role ever.

I recommend this to anyone who likes a show which requires thinking and concentration.

Congratulations to the producers, writers, cast and crew. Excellent.

This is triple AAA television!

Author: m-dm from United Kingdom
18 June 2008

Wow, this series deserves an 11 because 10 just does not give it justice. I put this series on the same pedestal as Sopranos and Deadwood. Fabulous, intriguing, more addictive than crack cocaine (and better for you). I just cannot praise this series enough. The acting was just superb. What i find amazing is how the performances in this series and for instance Deadwood were so much better than any acting performance in any movie for the last decade. They should be giving Oscars to these series because they are far higher quality than Hollywood films.

Glenn Close is utterly brilliant, and so is everyone else really. Each and every character is so well casted it is hard to find anything to criticise. I suppose some might say its a little gory but I don't think so.

Actually the only complaint i have is at the BBC who aired the series in the UK. They put it on at the most stupid time at night when it was clearly the best piece of television they have on the BBC. This series left everything else behind it in a cloud of dust.

Watch it and watch it again. TV this good is very rare.

The Big Chill

Author: Rogue-32 from L A.
26 July 2007

Talk about an hour of intriguing television - the commercial-free pilot for Damages, premiering last night on FX, certainly was that AND a bag of chips. Thanks to excellent writing, superb acting, lush cinematography and cojones to spare, this thought-provoking series promises to be at the very least a sleeper hit for the channel.

Nothing is what it seems in the pilot episode; we think we're getting one set of realities, one set of characters, but under the surface far more is going on than meets the eye. In fact, at the end of the pilot, lethally provocative questions are raised, forcing viewers to tune in again if they were the least intrigued. I was and I will be.

10/24: So the Season Finale was last night, and what a Finale it was! Satisfying in the way it did give us resolution, while at the same time creating yet more stunning intrigue for Season 2! I watched it through TWICE, as the FX network runs it back to back on Tuesdays. This series is the most brilliantly diabolical mindfk of a drama I've seen on TV in years, and if it doesn't come back for a second season, there is no justice, plain and simple. Upgraded my rating from a 9 to a 10 last night.

You have to see it to believe how perfect it is.

Author: dead47548 from United States
28 September 2008

I expected it to be great, but not this perfect. It takes 'riveting' to a whole new level. The show manages to have so much going on but always kept me involved and wondering what these people were hiding, how they are connected, what twist was coming my way and most importantly, how the events we were seeing happen in the present were going to lead to the ominous and frightening glimpses we get to see of the not so distant future. There's a lot happening and a lot of mystery around every corner, but it never feels like it's wandering too far into an unknown direction or getting too far ahead of the viewer. It's clear that every scene has a purpose and the writers now exactly where they're going and how they're getting there. So whenever something happens that's a little bit over the viewer's head at that moment, you know that it's going to be explained all the way soon. Everything that happens comes together in the final picture. And the journey to that final picture is one of the most compelling I've ever taken. Each of the thirteen episodes brings a remarkable amount of believable character development that looking back to the first episode after finishing the finale, it seems like I began by watching completely different people. There is so much information, so much mystery, so many twists and turns that are so comfortably displayed with such raw intensity throughout. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time, and every episode just had me aching for the next one. Genius stuff.

The acting more than deserved all of the immense praise that it received. Glenn Close gives a shatteringly intense performance that is frighteningly commanding. Rose Byrne is perfect as the one character who makes a huge change throughout the first season. She plays this transition from the gullible, naive new attorney to a hardened, revenge-driven women as if she were born to do it. I've loved her as an actress since I first laid eyes on her, but she still managed to impress me in a way I couldn't have imagined. She's never had a role this dark, this adult...gone through so many different levels of maturity and emotion without hesitating for a second. She holds her own against Close, and that is no easy task. We see her go from being a tool in Patty Hewes (Close's character) end game to being an almost mirror image of Hewes herself. Zeljko Ivanek is the cast member who surprised me the most, though. I've seen him in shows before (24, Oz) but he was never given the room to really display his immense talent like he was given in this one. He has a quiet intelligence to him that always drew my attention towards him on screen, and his character probably faces the most tragic journey throughout the first season. And he makes the southern drawl his character has seem as if it's been his voice since the day he came out of the womb. He deserved that Emmy and then some. Ted Danson, Noah Bean and Tate Donovan round out the main cast of this perfectly acted thriller.

I'm addicted to Damages!

Author: Rubens Junior from Brazil
2 February 2008

No doubt that this show is one of the best ones I've seen in years, not for the story itself since it's not so probable to happen in real life for dirtier the legal world can be, but yes for the way that it's told and mainly for the performances. Glenn Close, what can we tell about her? For sure she's ALWAYS mesmerizing and particularly in this show she's frightening terrific. I also agree to think that it's a waste of talent see an actress like her having to work in a TV show, but at the same time a thank god for being able to watch a show like this one casting an actress like her. Rose Byrne is great and a lot convincing, I already knew her for some previous works and she's really talented. Ted Danson worked perfectly as the pathetic Mr. Frobisher and was great to see Tate Donovan working in something interesting again instead of wasting his time in TV shows like The O.C. And the same can be said about the other guest appearances thru the seasons.

During the 5th episode of 1st season, Patty Hewes says to Ellen Parsons to trust no one. The show is ALL about this sentence because everything here is a secret, no one is reliable and nothing is what it seems. All the elements for a good crime/thriller show are there. Some clichés exist but they are important for the entertaining. 1st season was a smash delivering all the greatest things that a TV show like this one should have and its finale was something that really did the audience expect the 2nd season enthusiastically. After more than an year of waiting, 2nd season finally had its premiere and it was awesome the new and undefined plot that was presented, but as new episodes were coming things were more confusing than being just an interesting puzzle to a point that audience was not being an active part anymore, trying to discover together with the characters what really happened, but became a passive one being deceived all the time, losing what made 1st season so special. 3rd season was the same thing, maybe the worst one. A bunch of great actors and actresses underused within a weak plot development full of red herrings and horrible conclusions, failing a lot when trying to exceed the 1st season tricky interesting qualities. Both 2nd and 3rd seasons finale were something kinda strange, giving absurd explanations for things that could be far better if explained in a simpler way. Maybe that's why 4th season was far better and a back to form. The formula using flashbacks and flash-forwards was the same, but a simpler main plot was presented and developed without unnecessary obstacles during 10 episodes. Characters in a exact number performed brilliantly by an amazing cast. Hope 5th season (and last one) to keep the tone achieved during 4th season, and maybe a great court fight to give it a great ending.

So, even thinking that 2nd and 3rd seasons failed a lot in a bunch of aspects, I still give the show 9 stars most for its first season and, of course, the performances that, I repeat, are more than just performances, are outstanding performances.

One of if not THE best show on TV right now

Author: politically_incorrect204 from United States
31 January 2010

I took notice of this show once it was Emmy nominated in 2008. I have regretted that decision. This is by far one of the best dramatic shows I have ever would definitely say one of if not the best on right now.

IMDb remarks that this and Mad Men were the first series nominated from cable for best drama. Personally Mad Men doesn't compare to this show if you ask me. The writing is intricate, complicated, and very intelligent. The acting is top notch (evidenced by several emmy and golden globe nominations over the years). And of course the production and direction are impeccable as well.

All of that being said if you want a show where you literally have to watch every episode to keep up with whats going on and will challenge you with every episode this is the show for you. One of the best and most intelligent shows around, hands down.

Most Intriguing Show Ever

Author: devinshane23 from United States
12 June 2008

What a pleasure to be drawn into a series by such intelligent writing and outstanding acting. I couldn't wait until the next episodes. I talked to several friends each week to prolong the pleasure. In a world fun of shamefully silly and dumb programming, my hat is off to FX.I hope this show returns. The ending left it wide open for answers. I can't wait until it comes back. Glenn Close was perfectly cast as the villain; the character you love to hate. I was surprised at the wonderful acting by so many actors I had not seen and the ensemble of the cast was perfect.Why can't there be more shows with the depth and suspense? Is there any way to let fans know if this series will continue?

Another TV-drama with a Shakespearian scope

Author: Ryu_Darkwood from Netherlands
17 February 2008

I'm not really into your average ''Law and Order'' kind of shows, so I was a bit skeptic beforehand. But I was proved otherwise by a thoroughly gripping and scary introduction scene. We see a young lady running from a building, covered in blood. She accidentally stumbles upon two nearby policemen. It lured me into one of the most exciting new shows of last year.

The concept is pretty simple: someone is murdered and it has something to do with a young lawyer working for a respected law-firm. We see flashbacks of how the FBI is trying to crack the case, giving us the opportunity to see the story that led to the horrific climax of the murder. What the hell has happened? How does a promising young lawyer end up in killing someone? Or didn't she? And what is the role of bitchy uber-advocate Patty Hewes and the businessman Frobisher? Every episode gives you a few clues on the mystery, while still keeping you in the dark of what did happen. It reminds me a bit of Lost, though Damages is more down-to-earth and believable.

Glenn Close is playing the strong advocate with an excellent reputation with the verve she had in previous roles. Her protégé is Rose Byrne as a young, naive girl that falls in the hands of a devilish woman without scrupulous. For me the biggest surprise is actually Ted Danson, who plays a very realistic businessmen on the decline due to several law suits on his person. He's the kind of likable bad-guy that we seem to see more and more these days.

The biggest pro for this show is that they keep all the characters human by giving them a soft side. Nobody is either extremely good or bad, they just are humans making stupid choices and having to pay the price for it. Even the at the surface indestructible Patty Hewes is not able to defend herself against her tyrannic son.

One of the best shows on TV!!

Author: gettnbusy from United States
18 March 2008

There is not one episode that was not filled with me wanting to see the NEXT episode! Some have commented that it is "fractured" in time...that is what makes it exciting - you can see WHY things happened and watch as the present unfolds into the future that you've already seen. It makes it very exciting. Perhaps it takes a specific type of logical mind to find this show fascinating. I love it - I am so glad that they renewed it for 2 more season! I can't wait for more! I don't have cable so I rented the series on DVD; each night I couldn't wait to watch the next episode!! If you enjoy drama and tension and suspense then this show is right up your alley. If you are looking for every single little thing to be accurate in legal aspects, etc then go to a courtroom. TV is about entertainment and THIS show DELIVERS!!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]