IMDb > The Big Fat Quiz of the Year (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Big Fat Quiz of the Year (TV) More at IMDbPro »

big fat quiz of the year 2006 comment

Author: aubergines_rule_all from UK
29 December 2006

I just wanna say how great the big fat quiz of the year 2006 was! well, every year is a great night of entertainment, but this has got to be one of the best years.

It was a great blend of personalities on the teams and it is interesting to see how much the people know about the world and stuff that is in the newspapers and on TV, when they are actually on TV or in papers! good stuff! i could watch it again and again! it was a good line up of people (Cat Deeley, Jonathan Ross, David Walliams, Rob Brydon, Noel Fielding and Russell Brand) and i am interested to see these people being themselves, because before the show, I didn't really know much about Russell and I'd heard he can be arrogant, but I just think he's ace!

The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2006

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
4 January 2007

If you are a fan of pub quizzes, and have a good knowledge of the news events in the world, entertainment, film and music, sport, technology and science, politics and much more in the year gone by, then this is a great show to watch and have fun with. Hosted by Jimmy Carr, with celebrity panellists in three teams, the players were Russell Brand, Rob Brydon, Cat Deeley, Noel Fielding, Jonathan Ross and David Walliams, this quiz focused on the year 2006 with all sorts of questions to answer about the past twelve months. These questions are asked as they are, with video and sound clips, with pictures (including Say What You See), and by celebrity and mystery guests on screen or in the studio, so it really does feel like a proper quiz that you can take part in. Events in the year 2006 that were questioned and joked about included: Muslims outraged by a cartoon of the prophet Muhammad with a bomb as a hat, James Cracknell and Ben Fogle rowing the Atantic naked, French woman Isabelle Dinoire having the world's first face transplant after a dog mutilated her original face, the Northern Bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, Celebrity Big Brother with (non-celebrity) Chantelle Houghton, Michael Barrymore, Pete Burns, George Galloway and Rula Lenska, a clinical trial going wrong and a girlfriend describing volunteer boyfriend looking like The Elephant Man, Isaac Hayes quitting his role as Chef in South Park after they mocked his Scientology religion, "Trapped in the Closet" the hip hopera by R. Kelly, the book The Da Vinci Code being accused of plagiarism; I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!, the songs "Patience" by reunited band Take That (without Robbie Williams) and "America" by Razorlight, Fathers for Justice storming the National Lottery show with Eamonn Holmes, the (football) World Cup, Lordi winning the Eurovision Song Contest for Finland, the 80th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley becoming the first number one single from downloads alone, Big Brother 7 with Nicki Grahame, new airport security measures with bags and luggage following a terrorist threat, David Walliams swimming the English Channel for Sport Relief, the Royal Mail measuring size as well as weight for envelope and jiffy bag deliveries, the wedding of Matt Lucas to long-term partner Kevin McGee, Mel Gibson arrested for drunken behaviour, being racist and calling a police woman "sugar tits", the films The Queen and Snakes on a Plane (Confetti, Mission: Impossible III, Superman Returns and Brokeback Mountain mentioned also), Madonna adopting a child from Malawi, parents rebelling against the schools with burgers and chips for their children at schools changed by the Jamie Oliver healthy eating campaign, Ant and Dec taking out life insurance against each other's death, YouTube being sold for $1.68 billion to Google, Billie Piper leaving Doctor Who, Mike Baldwin leaving Coronation Street after 30 years, Ross Kemp returning to EastEnders as Grant Mitchell, Deal or No Deal, Sadie King (Patsy Kensit) leaving Emmerdale with a bang, Dancing on Ice, Extras, the return and end of Prime Suspect with Dame Helen Mirren, the end of Top of the Pops with Sir Jimmy Savile, Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging, the death of Desert Orchid the horse, Daniel Craig as James Bond 007 in Casino Royale, ex-KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko poisoned, Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, Myleene Klass auctioning her bikini for collapsed firm Fairpak, the tornado in Kensal Rise, North West London, Leona Lewis winning The X Factor, two priceless Chinese vases knocked over by unemployed artist Nick Flynn at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge and Les Lailey eating a 50 year old can of chicken he received at his wedding to celebrate his golden wedding anniversary. Other celebrity and special mystery guests in the show included the children of Mitchell Brook Primary School in Neasden who act out well known news stories, Lily Allen, Girls Aloud, Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen), Boy George who performed community service picking up trash in New York City, Guy Gomer who accidentally appeared on BBC News 24, Myleene Klass who appeared on I'm a Celebrity, Courtney Love, Sir Ian McKellen who reads passages from celebrity autobiographies of the year (Jade Goody and Kerry Katona), Jon Snow who reads news related to lyrics from songs of the year, Carol Vorderman and Matt Willis who won I'm a Celebrity. The jokes and the questions are what make this show so much fun, they always choose the right celebrity panellists, and it also works as a funny way to reminisce on the recent events you remember for good or for bad, a great comedy quiz show. Very good!

Best thing on the telly in 2006

Author: ebyrne288
11 January 2007

When I saw the line-up to this show, I thought immediately 'I'm going to watch it.' Jimmy Carr was hosting, and there were such hilarious contestants; Jonathen Ross, Noel Fielding (who I discovered on Wossy), the one from Little Britain, and of course Russell Brand, my new favourite comedian. From the very start I was laughing my head off. It was so hilariously funny, especially the 'disadvantaged children'. Whoever's idea it was to put Noel Fielding and Russell Brand together deserves an award for outstanding contribution to comedy (if there is one). The two worked so well together, and were so wonderfully weird and cute together, you couldn't help but love them. I was so glad they beat Rob and David because David's spoilt child act was really getting on my nerves by the end and I really wanted to see him lose. I didn't see the point of Cat Deely, though. She just sat there and said nothing. Highlights of the show were Jimmy dancing, Noel's 'Well we put wine gums, envy, and we finished it off with pieces of rainbow', when Noel and Russell got the 22 points for one question and the Guy Gomar bit, especially 'Can Noel and I play ourselves in the corridor scene?' It was the funniest thing I seen all year and I highly recommend searching for videos on it. It was legendary. 10/10