Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

funny ,clever movie...keeps you on your toes...

Author: megaloni from United Kingdom
2 March 2009

An enjoyable funny film with a well written story and several surprises which made one or two of the audience in front of me sit bolt upright. The plot is well written with considerable imagination.. and whilst the clever ones amongst you will guess what is coming next , there are a few scenes which caught my audience 'off guard'and made them jump ! I do not want to give the game away, but there are good 'time travel' loops which will amuse those of you who are not even sci-fi lovers. Both the females add glamour.. and whilst there are probably no 'Oscar' performances, the three guys are funny and well cast as 'ordinary blokes'some clever non hi-tech trick shots and surprises right up to the final credits !.. and listening to departing audience comments there were plenty of happy people leaving the theatre.

Shaun of the Dead - But with Time Travel

Author: tommey91 from United Kingdom
12 September 2009

Okay, so the acting isn't the best. Neither are the special effects. Despite this, I've been thoroughly entertained and captivated for the entirety of the last 80 minutes by an excellent plot that keeps you on your toes, genuinely excellent humour and enough confusion to keep you thinking but not to frustrate.

Unexpected twists are everywhere, but the great thing about them is that they all make sense when the movie is over, which is something some of the more recent Hollywood Sci-Fi's could take note of. It's actually a shame that one of the independent distributors with a bit more cash to burn didn't get hold of the script, I honestly think this could have been a box-office success with the right marketing.

This won't be winning any Oscars in the near future, but let's be honest; who gives a damn?

A pleasant surprise!

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
15 September 2009

This film is about three mates talking about time travel in a pub. They ended up doing some actual time travelling much to their surprise.

Most time travel films do not make sense or have serious plot holes, but this plot is great. The story is creative, clever and well written. It keeps me interested and engaged throughout the film. The three mates are authentic and unpretentious, just like real characters we meet on a daily basis. This enhances the attraction of the film, making it even more engaging.

Full length films under 80 minutes usually are bad, but "Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel" is a pleasant exception! I really enjoyed watching "Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel", and I would recommend it to my friends without hesitation.

Great fun for the grey matter.

Author: geoffgee from Sheffield, England.
24 April 2009

There were times whilst I was watching this that I felt myself to be distinctly chronologically challenged by the implications of (people) being able to go backwards and forwards in time. Not that that detracted from my enjoyment - quite the contrary - but unravelling some of the time-logic did demand that extra bit of effort on my part. The humour varies between light and off-the-cuff banter between drinking buddies at times, to potentially grave and ominous events at others. I thought the characters were likable and the screenplay was excellent (in an 'ordinary' kind of way). Maintaining my interest was helped by the juxtaposition of the everyday with the unexpected and the inclusion of an uncertain romantic element. A nice blend of sci-fi and scepticism. Great fun for the grey matter.

Fun, witty and original

Author: miruleyall from Australia
12 September 2009

A great little movie about the Chaos Theory.

If you enjoy any SciFi (mainly DoCWho) you should give this little flick a watch if it ever pops up on your set.

Acting is very solid from Dowd who carries the film perfectly, the other actors keep pretty safe but Dowd really shines, Farris is ditsy as usual but is very cute and likable as a character (and a person) still.

Direction is quite minimalistic and just focuses on the chaos itself and hardly relies on modern visual effects, mainly great props and sets that set a surprisingly good atmosphere considering this is a budget movie

This little movie could have a cult following if it is received well.

8/10 -2 for been too short, but at least it leaves the possibly open for a sequel :)

A smart and very funny take on the science-fiction genre.

Author: Jamie Ward from United Kingdom
21 October 2009

Ray (Chris O'Dowd), Toby (Marc Wootton) and Pete (Dean Lennox Kelly) are out in the pub for the night, going through their usual rounds of beer, crisps and complaints about general things including movies, music and their dead-end lives in general. Well, they think they're facing a brick wall, but really things are about to get a little sci-fi—or, science fiction, if you're picky about that sort of thing. You see, when one of the guys goes into the toilet, he discovers that there's a "time-leak" somewhere within that causes them to leap back and forth along a timeline that risks all of them destroying the entire universe as they know it. Sound really nerdy? Well, it is. Except, it's not pedantic nerdy, but actually smart, witty and engagingly imaginer (don't ask). The resulting movie is one that excels in both situation and character comedy, whilst also telling a really good story to boot—while there are flaws in the entire design (most of which occur in the later stages as things get more and more complicated) Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel is a short, but sweet take on the science-fiction comedy that knows how to strike up a laugh or two, but not at the expense of story or character.

Even though just about one of the three central actors has had major exposure on British TV and more recently, cinema, the performances are pitch-perfect. Striking a firm balance between realism and expertly timed gags, Dowd, Wootton and Kelly provide the movie with enough charm and "boy humour" to prevent the movie from sinking in a pile of convoluted, unfunny esoteric nonsense. Rather, the light-hearted presence of the three allows the feature to breathe with a sense of personality; while the film deals largely with two eccentric nerds and one slightly less nerdy partner in crime; these guys aren't your typical silver screen cutout stereotypes usually afforded to such personas. Instead, director Gareth Carrivick strives to maintain a sense of realism about his movie which permeates throughout.

Rather surprisingly this manifests itself not just in the characters, but in the hammy, sci-fi plot itself which involves the three jumping around time and avoiding bumping into themselves—thus avoiding deadly paradoxes. The extent to which writer Jamie Mathieson goes to avoid even the sternest of science-fiction nerds from having a fit over Grandfather Paradoxes and erroneous Chaos Theory debauchery is extremely welcome and really helps pad out the story even more than it is. Indeed, it could be argued that even though there are numerous timelines opened throughout the course of the movie, no real conflicts or holes are created at least until the final ten minutes. From here, things to get a little bit shifty for the sake of providing an ending that will please the average audience member, but even a little wink and a nod throughout this conclusion helps keep the movie's narrative in place. What results is a story that's not only refreshing through its willingness to go weird on you, but also through the sheer fact that weird never overcomes the viewer's suspension of belief.

In the end, FAQ About Time Travel does just about enough to strike a firm balance between story (which some will argue is king), character and silliness to ensure that your average viewer will be catered to. And while it isn't very likely that you will be blown away by the feature nor will it be emblazoned on your memory, the experience that is offers no matter how temporal, does well to entertain there and now. With some spot on performances and a tight script, Frequently Asked Questions is a smart and very funny take on the science-fiction genre that mixes situation with character humour effectively.

- A review by Jamie Robert Ward (http://www.invocus.net)

An Amazing Thrill Of A Ride!

Author: sunshineboxi from Hong Kong
12 October 2009

This movie is so far one of the best British comedies I've ever watched. The dialogs are funny, the story is well planned, and although you might not expect any high climax's due to it's limited production fee's, my heart was beating right out of my chest when the climax was reached!!

The character development was great, the beginning was funny and charming but I was slightly worried/put off by the beginning to think it was going to be boring, but stick with it for 5 more minutes and I'll swear you won't regret it! Anna Faris delivers a great performance as she sparks the silver screen with her natural abilities of a comedian and all the other actors such as Chris O'Dowd, Dean Lennox Kelly etc.. both interacts realistically with each other, forming brilliant chemistry.

This movie is for 'Science Fiction' lovers as well as people who are generally into space and time travel. There aren't any really mushy and romantic scenes, a mild sense of swearing, but all for the cynical outcome. DO WATCH! You might want to re-watch it again and again!

A big surprise and in a good way

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
2 August 2010

I was not sure about this film at first. Don't get me wrong, I like comedy(when it's done right of course) especially ones from the '70s, '80s and '90s, but when it is done wrong it's awful. But I was fearing whether it would be anything like the Friedberg-Seltzer spoof movies which I hated, detested even. After seeing mixed reviews and the above average IMDb rating, I decided to give it a chance.

And I am glad I did, because I thought it was a good movie, not outstanding, but it was funny and smart even with its problems and limitations. Admittedly, Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel is low-budget, but it doesn't look completely slip-shod. The story is original and well structured, when the film started though I was like "oh dear" but as the film got going it got better, while the writing was funny, smart and tongue-in-cheek. The direction is competent, the music is good and the pacing I had little problem with either. The acting is spirited, especially with Chris O'Dowd and Marc Wooton who both show a lot of spontaneous boyish charm that make their characters appealing. I agree in some ways the characters border on stereotypical but the acting and writing is enough to not make it matter that much. Anna Farris starts off a little stiff but once she gets into the film and her role she gets better. Even the title was funny and amusing.

Overall, I liked it. It is not the best movie I have ever seen, but it was funny and smart and it was refreshing to see something that was actually funny.(Friedberg and Seltzer take notes) 8/10 Bethany Cox

I don't understand the criticisms of this film

Author: MagikGimp from United Kingdom
2 August 2010

FAQsATT was panned recently in Radio Times when it was shown for the first time on terrestrial TV and I don't understand why. Maybe it's because I emphasise a bit with the main characters, perhaps it was just because I was excited to turn on the TV and see a reasonably famous Hollywood star in a small-time British film but whatever the reason was I found myself thoroughly entertained. A lot of people have been saying that Anna Faris is uncomfortable in this but I didn't feel that at all; I expect she enjoyed doing something completely different to what she's used to. Meredith MacNeill too has be described as awkward and such but she's playing a character who's completely barmy and I think she expressed that well. Yes the special effects are not the best but they're not terrible. For a sci-fi (sorry, Speculative Fiction!) film there aren't many of them and rather there's more focus on dialogue and antics between the cast but I think that works; the effects are not overly distracting and the post-nuclear city I though actually looked really good. I've given this 7/10 because some things could have been tidied up and the script is not perfect. Also, there are mistakes and perhaps a slightly larger budget wouldn't have hurt. All in all I enjoyed this immensely for whatever reason and that's all that matters to me.

Awesome, clever, funny film.

Author: AshleyBirtwell from United Kingdom
25 September 2009

I'd first like to mention that I am not any of peoples involved in this film family, or friend. Just to clear that for Globalist.

I thought this film was pure gold. I thought the Actors did a superb job at playing the roles of their characters. They where witty and believable. Not once did I feel like they were just reading from the script, not once.

I love Chris O'Dowd in IT Crowd, and I loved Dean Kelly in Shameless. I haven't seen Marc Wootton in anything, but I thought he delivered his part very well.

I was laughing quite hard during some scenes. Maybe it's just my kind of humour, but I loved the Total Eclispe of Heart bathroom soon. I wondered if it could get any better after Pete doing it on his own, and yes it did when all 3 did it! The plot was really good too. It all seemed to flow well, and they didn't seem to be any major plot holes. It could get a little confusing to some people though. Like Pete still ran into the bathroom after he heard the glass knock over onto the paper, so how come he travelled through time still when he ran back in? Well I suppose he went back to present time, which makes sense.

Anyway, I thought this film was brilliant although short, and I would recommend it anybody.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]