IMDb > "Storm Chasers" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Storm Chasers" More at IMDbPro »

Best. Tornado chasing. Videos. Ever.

Author: Jason McGee from United States
25 January 2009

Most of us have seen storm chasing documentaries in our lifetime, wondering in awe at those magnificent, terrifying acts of nature called tornadoes. The problem, though, is that after awhile, we're used to the script: A team comes in with either the latest technology or just a rogue group of storm chasers, goes into a dangerous storm, and captures some cool footage and/or data. That's all well and good, but in the end, it's not much more than eye candy.

Storm Chasers, by contrast, takes this to a whole new level. By expanding single shows into full-season episodes, and by focusing just as much on the individual storm chasers as the storms themselves, we get to know them as real humans and not just random people. We become interested in how the individuals react differently to the exact same storms, and after awhile we learn what their hot buttons are and what makes them tick. We see the contrasts in Josh's methodical style, Sean's aggressiveness and lack of patience, and Reed's frat-boy-like attitude. It's almost as much fun to watch the personalities bounce off one another as it is to watch them pursue their targets. Part of those differences stem from the fact that the lead characters all have different goals. Josh wants to gather radar- and probe-based data from tornadoes; Reed wants to get up-close film of tornadoes to sell to media outlets; and most notably, Sean wants to take his 16,000-pound behemoth Tornado Intercept Vehicle right into a tornado, film it from the inside, and sell the footage to IMAX.

That said, it really wouldn't be accurate to describe Storm Chasers as a reality show. This IS about storm-chasing, and that remains the focus of this show. There is some excellent footage throughout the series. It gets downright terrifying on more than one occasion, because remember, having gotten attached to the individual characters, you don't want anything bad to happen to them. Considering that this is a non-staged, nonfiction story makes this all that much more intense.

Whether you're a tornado guru or don't even know the difference between a cold front and a warm front, odds are very good that you'll like Storm Chasers. It has a style comparable to Deadliest Catch; chances are if you like Deadliest Catch, you'll like Storm Chasers as well. Personally, I absolutely love it. I'm currently halfway through the DVDs of the second season, and I'm completely glued to it. It is that good.

Could have been better....

Author: robbm674 from United States
19 May 2013

I'm confused. I thought this was airing on the Discovery Channel, not the Soap Opera Channel. When I watch the Discovery Channel, I want to "discover" or learn something. Not watch drama between the people on the screen. I think this show could have gone for MUCH longer, had they just left the drama out. I think a great deal of it was scripted anyways. I understand that ratings matter, and that it's money that moves stuff, not just educational stuff, but then why isn't the show on anymore? Maybe because the drama just got SO OLD. The producers ruined a potentially great way to get money into research. I just watched the entire series, so it's all fresh in my mind. There were great ideas that could be used to research and possibly save tons of money(building damage) and hundreds of lives, but will they be used now? Who knows?

Why does everything have to have drama? I mean, Ghost Hunters had drama in the beginning, thankfully they dropped most, if not all of it. Isn't there enough drama covering the damage and the lives that have been changed in just a few minutes? Why add the other garbage? Bring back the show, but not the drama!

Great show, a must watch for tornado/weather enthusiast!

Author: sedativchunk from United States
9 January 2013

I watched a full season of this on Amazon prime (the 2009 season). I loved it! No other show/documentary/film will bring you as close as these guys do to a tornado. The premise of this show is simple. A number of teams go out to various locations in the United States that are expecting tornadoes. Using advanced meteorology, doppler radar, and other scientific instruments the teams track, intercept, and collect scientific data on monstrous tornadoes.

The show is chest pounding. This isn't Jersey Shore or a lame reality show. This is a serious, weather and science based TV show. These guys are risking their lives to jump straight into dangerous tornadoes. The thing that grabs me and makes this show unique and above average are the fact that these guys literally go into tornadoes using armored vehicles. I rate this show an 8/10, it's definitely above average. A few shortcomings though prevent it from being a "great" series. Many episodes are the same rinse-and-repeat formula. Example - "Hey guys, lets go out and chase a tornado. We have a tornado warning, OMG A TORNADO, TORNADO ON THE GROUND! LETS GET OUT THE CAR IN DANGEROUS THUNDER/LIGHTING AND FILM IT!! OKAY NOW LETS INTERCEPT IT! WAIT, WE'RE TOO CLOSE, TOO CLOSE!!!"

A while in episodes get a bit repetitive and cheesy. Also ALL the episodes have some fairly poor editing. The show will film a dramatic sequence, go into a commercial cut, and then on the return they recap the same dramatic scenes as if the viewer forgot what they were watching. If it wasn't for the same rinse/repeat formula and poor editing this show would be almost a 10/10. Still, definitely worth a watch whether you are tornado fan or not. The action sequences are totally worth it and the few shortcomings of the show are easily tolerated. This show is educational and shows how dangerous tornadoes can be.