IMDb > Edison & Leo (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Edison & Leo More at IMDbPro »

Cute and bizarre

Author: formicidae from canada
11 July 2009

I just saw this little gem in our local independent theatre in Saskatoon, and I can now understand why the film wasn't rated. I'm not sure how one could actually categorize a claymation film that includes the odd beheading and other somewhat lurid or sexual moments. Edison and Leo is about a somewhat mad inventor who creates a great deal of trouble for his family when he allows his lust for scientific knowledge to overtake common decency or morality. It mixes dark humor with themes of love and loss, mysticism vs. science, good and evil, all portrayed by stop-motion clay characters that reminded me of the old Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer Christmas special--rough around the edges, but disarmingly fun to watch. I don't know who I'd recommend this movie to. It's a bit bloody for kids (even though I found the violence comical, since it's clay), and the animation would be too 'primitive' for most Pixar-dazzled audiences, but if you enjoy off-beat, original fare, it won't be the worst thing you've ever seen.

Meet "Electric-Boy" And His Quirky Kin

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
25 August 2016

Had "Edison & Leo" not been a Canadian production, then, yes, I probably would have given it a slightly lower star-rating than I did.

Produced at a small studio out in Mission, BC - This feature-length, stop-motion, animated picture (from 2008) certainly told one of the gloomiest, little tales of an eccentric (and, decidedly goofy) family that I can recall seeing in quite some time.

Featuring some very ugly-looking puppet-people (along with some "OK" visuals) - Edison & Leo's targeted audience was that of viewers under the age of 14.

Though quite sinister and dark, at times - (And showcasing some very mean-minded characters) - I really cannot see this 80-minute film appealing to a very large audience, regardless of their age.