IMDb > The Hills Run Red (2009) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hills Run Red

The Hills Run Red (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A true (non-PG) "Horror Movie" - just not a great one.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
6 November 2010

I was feeling good about the proposition of watching The Hills Run Red, as I only watched it after reading some very positive DVD reviews giving it a boost.

The opening scene only ramped up my anticipation too, it set a tone that at least told me this wasn't going to be a PG 13 snoozefest and set a solid standard that I hoped the remainder of the film might aspire to.

The bad news – That didn't happen.

The good news – The movie wasn't awful at least... but just barely.

We open with credits interspersed with "cuts" of a young kid calmly taking the scissors to his own face in fairly graphic and gory detail. As yet we have no idea why but it serves as an effective opening scene which at least tells us this isn't going to be Prom Night 2: Prom Queen's Revenge.

The plot that brings Victims A through D into the sphere of Killer A involves aspiring filmmakers and their efforts to track down an infamous but reclusive director who made a particularly gory - and subsequently banned - horror film in the 80s.

The film was conveniently call The Hills Run Red, and all that exists is a crappy trailer, we are told this by words on the screen, as explaining events and actions through plot takes valuable time and we need to get to the boobies and gore.

The killer in the film was named Babyface, who cut off his own face and sewed a dead eyed expressionless doll's face over the top of what remained.

Watching the trailer through the eyes of one of the filmmakers gave no cause for alarm, and definitely no reason as to why the thing was banned, but here we once again obey the convention of if the film says it was too gory, then it was too gory. (This is usually utilised with master criminals, who do nothing that suggests intelligence or genius but we believe they are because we are told so.) A young filmmaking dude named Travis tracks down the daughter of the director, who in a fortunate twist of cinematic convenience is a young blonde hottie who strips for a living. Of course he goes to meet her at "work", so that they might talk shop over a lapdance... No complaints here.

The stripper Alexa takes Tyler home and offers herself up to him, Tyler refuses as he recognises that Alexa is a full blown junkie, so rather than hopping aboard he does the right thing and puts her through a 30 second detox montage to sober her up so that she may be of some use later in the film.

Meanwhile his flatmate Gabe humps the crap out of Tyler's girlfriend Serina in a variety of positions in Tyler's flat. (Shoulda taken the offer man!) For some reason this is never touched on for the rest of the film. His best mate plowed his girlfriend! They didn't use that info to justify a difficult decision or a uncomfortable reveal later in the film? So after the magical detox capabilities offered by a montage Alexa joins the three others to embark upon a junket to visit all the main sites used in filming the original film, hoping to uncover something that helps lead them to the director I guess.

They interview locals who somehow haven't moved in 27 years, some of them looking like they are in their mid 30s, which means they were under 10 when the movie was made and shouldn't have been around anyway.

This brief sequence takes them near the deserted homestead where the main sequences were filmed, I say near as they seemed to walk for a long while to find the house, in the dark of course.

As they camp for the night it is obvious that they are being watched… and this is always where the alleged fun starts.

They are beset by a group of rednecks that they interviewed earlier, keen to do a little filmmaking of their own with Alexa as the unwilling star, only they are rudely interrupted - and killed - by none other than Babyface.

Oh come on, that isn't a spoiler. We all knew he was coming.

Then we have 20 more minutes of gore, blood, some more inexplicable nudity (again no complaints) and a few twists that might be shocking if you've never seen a movie before.

The surprising part of all this is that Sophie Monk (Alexa) - a teen pop star in Australia as a result of those manufactured for a TV show groups - can sorta act, and she isn't averse to taking her gear off a few times too if you disagree.

She does need to lay off the Botox though, her lips are so big that she had to start saying her line as the other actor gave her the lead in line, as it took a few seconds to arrive past the Jaggeresque flappers. The other surgery that she has obviously had is hard to fault though... Both of them.

After the great first couple minutes it was a little disappointing that the film allowed itself to end up nothing more than a running-around-chased-by-a-freak-with-a-knife screamfest.

Another not really interesting fact is that the film was made in Czechoslovakia. Or Bulgaria. Or one of the other 'garias, Hungaria? As the credits rolled I have never seen so many surnames ending with V, (Kabakov, Jankov etc.) Final Rating – 5.5 / 10. After the opening face-peeling scene the only reason to hang around is my fascinating fact involving film crew members whose name ends with "v". If that convinces you to bother with the rest I am sorry.

If you liked this review (or even if you didn't) check out oneguyrambling.com

We've seen it all before... but who cares?! Worths the watch.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
5 September 2010

I had very low expectations towards this direct to video slasher. My expectations got lowered even more when I saw it was going to air on HBO. I decided to give it a try and boy! I was pleasantly surprised.

From the beginning you can tell it's gonna be a decent slasher. It offers great brutal killings, good amount of gore, gratuitous nudity, a creepy villain (that babyface is one horrific and cool designed villain), and the required slasher atmosphere and vibe.

The plot is very decent and creative. But to be honest, what I liked the most were the brutal killings! This is one of the best slashers in the recent years and that's because it follows the slasher golden rules. Nudity, gore, and a creepy atmosphere.

Sophie Monk made me feel I was watching an 80's slasher every time she got nude and bouncing her beautiful big breasts. Tad Hilgenbrink and William Sadler were really good on their parts.

Who stole the show for me was the GORGEOUS, super sexy Janet Montgomery. Man, that girl is one of the hottest women I've seen on any slasher! Plus her sexy sex scene was really good. I dug her perfect firm breasts, thin figure, and sensuality. I want to marry her.

If you are into slashers, this is one for you! It's really gory and entertaining. What else could you ask for? Plus, it has the special direct to video vibe.

Worth seeing

Author: shadesofhades from United Kingdom
7 May 2010

Having recently seen Rest Stop 2: Don't Look Back and BTK Killer I can't say I was expecting much from this but, though it won't trouble my top 100 list, I have to say I enjoyed it immensely. There was a second of panic when I saw the credit 'Teleplay' followed by a sigh of relief when I saw underneath it the name David J Schow. He's a decent writer, which is more than can be said for Ulli Lommel and whoever was responsible for Rest Stop 2.

The basic set-up might owe something to Cannibal Holocaust, The Blair Witch Project, and others (and a good deal of the film is familiar from scores of films in the genre) but is intriguing enough to strike you - me anyway - as reasonably fresh. The blood is over the top (and unrealistic. In the late 60s and early 70s this was a common problem - it was just red paint - but now? Still, it adds to the overall fun) but much of the carnage is actually fairly restrained, and there are a lot of funny movie-related jokes, the most amusing to me being a clear parallel between William Sadler and his daughter and Dario and Asia Argento. The idea that Alexa is a lot older than she looks doesn't really work, but I took it as another joke (on America's fixation with youth; on lust and other forms of obsession blinding us to the facts), and while it's probably not saying much it's the best horror film I've seen for a while. What we really need now, though, is Schow to adapt his novel The Kill Riff . . .

This was one of those movies that are so bad they're good...

Author: matttieee123 from New Zealand
21 January 2010

...And I loved every second of it! What really annoys me is watching a really horrible B grade slasher flick and then wanting those hours of my life back. This was NOT one of those movies! It was funny, and horrifying and what a real slasher movie is supposed to be. It didn't focus on gore, but it actually molded together a structured story line and the violence and scares eased themselves into it. The acting was really impressive from a B list group of actors. I recommend this movie to people wanting a fun, gory sex horror that doesn't take itself too seriously like the ones that do and FLOP. Go and see this movie, you won't regret it.

Great little film....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
29 April 2011

Tyler is obsessed by the horror movie "The Hills Run Red", considered by those that had seen it the scariest movie ever made, with the deranged serial-killer Babyface in the lead role.

However, the director and the movie vanished many years ago and there is no available print.

His research is affecting his relationship with his girlfriend Serina that is needy and feels neglected. When Tyler discovers that te directors daughter Alexa works in a night-club, he decides to meet her and asks about the missing movie.

The woman tells that the movie might be in her father's house in the middle of the woods, and Tyler decides to travel to the spot with Alexa, Serina and their friend Lalo.

Along their journey, Tyler films and interviews some locals.

During the night, they are attacked by the rednecks, but they are saved by Babyface.......

It's a great movie for film geeks and horror buffs all around, because not only is it about the holy grail of cinema, the banned film with only one existing print, it's also a very good horror movie, and a sly poke at the gore-nography sub genre culture.

The film starts off very well, we see the very genuine fake trailer for the titular film, and at once, this makes the audience intrigued as much as the chatachters, which is very rare these days for a horror film, and has not been evident in horror since the first scream movie.

babyface is so so, but the film isn't about him thankfully, it's about the Herzog inspired director played brilliantly by Sadler. The ending lets it down ever so slightly, but it's a fresh welcome horror movie that is original.

An excellent horror film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
19 February 2010

Novelist David J. Schow, who was a co-funder of the "splatterpunk" movement, used to write many years ago a column for the magazine Fangoria, and he always left his disappointment (and anger) with modern horror cinema clear.However, his knowledge of the pros and cons from the genre was challenged when he wrote the mediocre movie Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III.I mentioned all that to explain my distrust to the positive comments The Hills Run Red, co-written by Schow, received last year during its circuit to fantastic film festivals.Fortunately, when I finally watched the movie, I noticed the acclamation was well deserved, because The Hills Run Red ended up being an excellent horror film which presents an interesting variation of the slasher sub-genus.

The story from this movie may sound as any other movie about "youngsters go to the woods with a hand-held camera".But co-screenwriters Schow and John Dombrow created a simultaneously classic and ingenious story, which is precisely based on our familiarity with the clichés from horror cinema to give a twist to them and present them from a different perspective.For example, this time we find out the cellphones from the main characters DO work in the woods...but at the same time, we find out why they result useless to their salvation.And just like that one, there are many details which seem deceptively predictable, but in fact, hide ingenious and subversive alternatives to what we expected to see.What is more, the twist in the end genuinely surprised me, because it is disguised by a simpler revelation, craftily designed to make us believe we had already had everything solved.It is truly refreshing to find intelligence on a horror film.

Ted Hilgenbrik and Alex Wyndham feel a bit bland on two of the leading roles, but the rest of the cast makes a better work.The member who mostly stands out is William Sadler.The filmography from this actor covers more than 30 years and more than 100 appearances including cinema and television, and even though his name may not sound very familiar to many people, it is always easy to recognize his face and strong presence, which always brings professionalism to his work (which is usually as a villain or as an antipathetic authoritative figure).In The Hills Run Red, he feels more malevolent than ever, and that is because of the great energy he brings to his character.Sophia Monk and Janet Montgomery also bring very good performances, at the same time I admired the engagement they show with their characters.

I give an enthusiastic recommendation to The Hills Run Red, because this is one of those weird horror movies with a genuine dramatic substance under the gore and the torture.I truly hope to see more collaborations from Schow in this medium, because the horror cinema truly needs talents like his, who perfectly comprehend what works and what does not in this genre.

A Brilliant Horror Movie!

Author: JC JC from New Zealand
13 February 2010

When I heard about this movie, my first thought was it's just the same as any other horror movies, but when I saw it, I was surprised. This movie is not the same as any other Horror movies out there, this movie will give you surprises when you least expect it. The Hills Run Red does not copy the same plot and plot twists that other horror movie does. It will surprise you and you will enjoy every part of the movie. I wouldn't say that this movie is a perfect 10, but it's definitely worth watching. I definitely recommend people to watch this movie, especially people who like horror movies, you won't be disappointed.

why's this got such a low IMDb rating?

Author: LinkGoku from United States
31 July 2010

i recently came across this DVD at a Hollywood video that was closing down i thought "i have to see this" so i bought it and boy am i glad that i did.

THE HILLS RUN RED is finally a slasher film thats intense enough to keep you on the edge of your seat, Sophie Monk turned out to be a great actress in this film, though its kinda surprising that they cast her to play the hot girl for saying that shes doesn't look anorexic like a lot of actresses nowadays, Tad Hilgenbrinck was actually really good as well, William Sadler is spookly convincing, and the guy who played Baby Face was just great.

the story of this movie also stands out as the best slasher story for a movie.

to be honest as a fan of other movie slashers such as Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees, Freddy Krueger, Leatherface, and even Pinhead i think that my favorite slasher and slasher movie is Baby Face in THE HILLS RUN RED!

Nasty as Hell.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
30 September 2009

A horror fan's delight. Absolutely gory with vivid and disturbing images that drip and splatter. You will constantly look over your shoulder...that is if you dare take your eyes off the screen. A young horror film fanatic with the help of two friends go about searching for a print of a classic horror flick too gruesome to stay in theaters...or is that just rumor? Even the director seems to have left the planet. Maybe some clues will come from the director's daughter(Sophie Monk), currently working as a drug induced stripper. They find out that the film about a deformed, hideous killer named Baby Face has actually never been finished. Upon finding and watching rough cuts of cult-like film...unsuspected hell breaks loose.

Full of gruesome scenes. Ruthless and reckless terror. Monk is fantastic and eye-popping gorgeous. Others in the cast: Tad Higenbrick, Janet Montgomery, Mike Straub, William Sadler and Raicho Vasiley.

The Hills Run Red With Silliness

Author: thecinemaview from United States
4 October 2009

The hype surrounding "The Hills Run Red" is really the most impressive aspect of this film. Mr. Disgusting of "Bloody-Disgusting" called it "a really solid horror film that many horror fans will be pleasantly surprised with." Gareth Jones of "Dread Central" adds to that, saying, "If you're a fan of slasher flicks, or even just truly inventive and twisted horror, you owe it to yourself to pick it up." Doesn't that sound absolutely wonderful? Could it be that there is a straight-to-disc horror film that actually delivers the goods? Having bought into the hype, I eagerly anticipated this film and began to watch it with a sense of giddy excitement…only to find that it is actually quite bad. No, that is a little too nice. "The Hills Run Red" is undeniably terrible. Its initial premise is basic and fascinating. A young documentarian, trying to track down a supposedly horrifying film that has been missing for decades, heads to its shooting location with the director's daughter, only to discover that the disturbing images in the film were actually real. But then, this story becomes mired in weird plot twists and an unnecessary sense of strangeness.

Read My Full Review Exclusively At: www.thecinemaview.blogspot.com