IMDb > Why Did I Get Married? (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Why Did I Get Married?

Why Did I Get Married? More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

I've been married 12 years so far and the film is excellent and very well intended

Author: safeinheaven (safeinheaven@hotmail.com) from Richmond, VA USA
3 November 2007

I loved it. I've been married to my wife 12 years so far and the movie's as accurate as Boyz N the hood and Meanace II Society were to depicting how it is 16 years ago. Things are a little wholesome in some spots; the characters are too well-defined. But the character's "well-definitions" serve a purpose in the sense that they are models (play acting figures) for us the audience to examine our own lives without having to decipher a lot of ambiguity with the characters'motives. I loved it and will see future Tyler perry movies in the theater. I loved it. the 80-20 slash 20-80 rule will be on a lot of license plates I'll bet and it makes a lot of sense within the movie and the film is a lot about things that happen yet simply aren't talked about. the movie is also a joy because its about African-Americans, has an African-American cast, and is made by African-American people without having to cater to multi-demographics. its our Americanm-Beauty (remember how minorities appeared in that film? Minorities didn't fit) It all even thank you Tyler Perry!!!!

The women's role in this film

Author: djames3 from United States
23 October 2007

The major problem I had with this film is that in the end the majority of the changes made were made on the part of the women. That is, only the women changed their behaviors in an effort to salvage their marriages. Did any of the men change? The top litigator decided to spend more time with her husband and daughter; the loud mouth hairdresser changed to become a nicer, sweeter person; the therapist will be more open and communicative and the overweight woman loses weight. By concentrating all of the soul changing on the women, it makes it seem as though the men were not at fault.

Another problem was the way some heavy issues got treated so lightly. For instance, there is no discussion on the husband who slept with another man and whose wife slept with the same man. These black men sleeping on the down low is the reason black women are the number one in the nation being infected with AIDS! But this issue was not discussed in the film!

Excellent!Excellent!Excellent!

Author: tanishia-allen from Canada
17 October 2007

This movie is well written and put together. Throughout the entire movie there is never a dull moment. The movie definitely enables you to shed light on your own relationship. The movie follows four friends as they all have relationship problems and how they deal with these problems. it's definitely a movie to go see with your other half. After watching this movie, I myself realized there are things in my relationship I need to change.

Overall Tyler Perry did it well with this movie, this time he didn't need Madea. I love to see positive black movies and this definitely is one.

Bottom Line - It was GREAT Entertainment

Author: from United States
15 October 2007

Movie had funny parts, serious parts and a few great messages.

I thought the acting was realistic. Many people could relate to some aspect of each scenario, although a bit extreme at times. But that is what makes those in the audience feel "ok" about themselves and still get the message. I hope people went home a bit kinder, more thankful and/or hopeful. In the end this this is a movie about relationships, forgiveness and hope. I observed several people as they walked out of the movie theater. People felt great and were smiling. It just doesn't get much better than that. The critics out there need to loosen up. SERIOUSLY.

I hope that other movie writers get the message. Movies that enhance lives or the mind generally do a lot better in the long haul. We need more movies that help make the world a better place. The news and junk TV take care of enough negativism for a life time. Follow the money. There was a reason this beat out Clooneys movie. (And for the record I am a fan of George Clooney - so I am not 'hating').

why did they get married

Author: cbradsha-1 from United States
14 October 2007

I am usually not a fan of Tyler Perry movies. I like to support him because he offers a different perspective on African American Movies that oppose the "shoot'em up bang bang" or "drug dealer" / "beauty shop" "soul food cooking " movies. However this venture left something to be desired. The beautiful Ms.Jackson sounds as if she has been reading her lines from her screen play copy. The transitions from scene to scene was done by someone that is either an intern and still learning or Tyler Perry's nephew! The characters were not developed they were 2 dimensional and you felt like you were getting to know them but right when they are about to develop into 3 dimensional characters the story ends with a long drawn out soliloquy that means absolutely nothing because there is no back story. Long story already long- wait for DVD! Jill Scott looks absolutely amazing and Tasha Smith is wonderful as usual! They made the movie.

4 out of 10!!!! What??!!! Seeing the light

Author: chrys from United States
17 October 2007

I have often seen comments on other African American movies stating that black movies will never get a high rating. The reason for this was because "white people" want to be "haters," and/or don't understand the plot. Normally, I have to disagree with this. All though I am black, I try hard to believe that peoples opinions of movies have nothing to do with the race of the cast. That maybe the majority of people really didn't enjoy the film. I like to give people, all people, the benefit of the doubt. However, after seeing that Why Did I get Married only received a 4.1 out of 10, I now agree that African American movies are being unfairly rated!! There is no way that this movie could have such a low rating! Although there were a few (very few) slow moments, and yes some of the scenes were questionable, the movie was great. Everyone, and yes I mean pretty much everyone in the audience laughed through the entire film!!! The movie was so funny you almost missed a few scenes because you couldn't stop laughing. So the reason this movie has a 4.1, well the only thing I can think of is that maybe certain people are purposely sabotaging black ratings. If that is true, such people need to really grow up!!!! Yes, African Americans are intelligent, creative, and talented. So get over it!!!! If you don't like the fact that there is actually good movies from the great minds of African Americans, keep your opinions to yourself. We don't rate white movies based on how many black people we saw in the film, so don't rate our movies based on how many black people are in the film. Great talent and great movies deserve a proper rating... Just something for you to think about.

Rather predictable...

Author: moviedude1 from Minneapolis, MN, USA
25 September 2008

I've seen some of Perry's other films and I found myself somewhat engaged with it, but this film was a little predictable in that it didn't take a genius to figure out was coming next. I've seen Janet Jackson in previous films, too, and I thought her talent was wasted here.

Jackson hosts a conference a meeting of people who examine her findings that she titles the same as the movie that's based on her seven day experience with different couples in different phases of their own (her own included). While on a retreat to Colorado, they all find personal niches in their own lives, while still trying to hold on to the ones they share with their spouses. Jackson tries to set up exercises in therapy situations in an attempt to fit what's wrong in each of their respective marriages, while still trying to deal with her own personal demons.

The result of this movie-based-on-a-play is, like I said, predictable. Being a fan of Janet Jackson was what prompted me to watch this film. The message I got out of this is that life is hard and relationships are hard work. Unfortunately, I realized this before I started watching this. I wouldn't say this was an 'awful' movie, but I barely found it better than that. 2 out of 10 stars, at best.

Fantastic Movie!!!

Author: cheri54 from United States
22 October 2007

Went to see this movie yesterday and all I can say is I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tyler Perry and I am so happy for the success he is enjoying!!! I never laughed and cried and laughed and cried watching a movie as much as I did with this one. It's the kind of movie that covers almost all of the aspects of a relationship. And as the previous commenter mentioned, it's also the kind of movie where the audience gets really involved and yes I was one of those people. When Richard Jones as Mike belittled Jill Scott's character as Sheila and admitted that he was having an affair with Trina played by Denise Boutte, I wanted Sheila to punch him right in his face. She opted to hit him in the head with a wine bottle and I cheered!!! This is definitely a movie about betrayal, infidelity, the 80/20 rule, reconciliation and love prevailing in the end. I HIGHLY recommend this movie!!!

This movie

Author: brownk9 from United States
17 October 2007

Normally I get hoodwinked at Tyler Perry's movies. The trailers are funny and I run to theaters only to be disappointed.

This time around the he came through. Why I got married came through in a big way. Its funny. its inspiring and I have never seen black people look so damn good on screen. Everything from the lush tones of the skin, the styling, the homes (wow) were amazing. The performances were fantastic. I've read reviews where critics have called janet jackson dead wood. That is not the case. Her performance is actually really good.. i was surprised. All of the performers have a synergy that makes it all work... which is what makes this a great movie.

Kudos to Mr. Perry. Job very well done.

From an entertainment point of view, this movie is IT!

Author: tee-hype from United States
15 October 2007

Tyler Perry knows his audience. He knows how to tell a story and keep it moving. The characters in this were on point! (How many of us have met someone like "Angela"?!) I was very impressed with his ability to address love & marriage from different angles while keeping it lighthearted.

As a few commenters have noted, from a technical perspective, there's definitely room for growth and some quibbling with story details. The thing we cranky film types have to remember is that Technical mastery a good film doth not make. It's all about STORY.

Take it from Box Office Mojo: 'Why Did I Get Married' Brightens Drab Weekend.

Check it out. It's worth the watch.

Page 9 of 10: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]