IMDb > Why Did I Get Married? (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I agree

Author: Ambrit Millhouse from United States
22 October 2007

I think this movie was the best one yet! The characters were so realistic and I love Tasha Smith's character. I laughed, I cried, had a runny nose, I got mad, happy and hyped all in one sitting. That's why I intentionally went by myself and sat in the back row so nobody would see me but there was a lady sitting next to me doing the same thing. You know I heard that the movie only opened on 2000 screens vs the usual 3000 screens that films usually open on. I saw all of the publicity and bad stuff "folks" try to say to dog the movie. I recently read something and I didn't understand it at the time. Thanks to Tyler and "Married" I know what it means: Revelation 3:8 "I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it..." Excellent, Excellent, Excellent..and that's why "Married" is NUMBER ONE!!!

YEAH! GO T.P. !!!

A really heart warming movie

Author: wandabobyan from United States
20 October 2007

I am so in love with this movie. It is well written, directed, and acted. The characterizations are well rounded, not the usual one-dimensional characters that plague "black" movies. The characters represented a segment of the population, very seldom portrayed realistically: successful, middle-class, educated, and married African-Americans. With all of their successes, each character is flawed, dealing with universal issues. Some might be turned off by the feel- good ending, however, I enjoy good triumphing over evil. Jill Scott's character provoked the most sympathy, in the theater. I found myself "tearing up," over several of her scenes. Her character represents many who have been beaten up, by society's preoccupation with thinness and Caucasian standards of beauty. Tyler Perry is to be commended. I recommend this film to all. I plan to see it again.

Movie excellent!, but ratings are misleading?

Author: drebaby from United States
25 October 2007

I am not sure if I want to talk about how good the movie was or why the overall rating of 3 seems out of sync here. What are the ratings based on? Of the 37 prior user comments, I read all of them and counted 18 perfect 10 ratings, three 0 ratings, two others at 3 and 5 and the other 14 ratings were between 7 and 9. So I ask again for an explanation from IMDb, how does a movie with so many positive comments and what appears to be an average score of at least 8+ wind up with only three stars shown to the readers visiting the site? If those readers decide to pass on both reviews and the movie due to the rating, then it stops potential movie goers from going out to see the movie and hurts box office.

To put it in perspective, the MSN Movie website currently boasts 92 reviews for this movie and the average user rating there is 4.5 out of 5 stars.

As far as my assessment of the movie, it is an excellent portrayal of the daily life and strife of middle class "black folk" who have their own issues of finance, family, career struggles and drama that don't even incorporate what's happening in the so called inner city. Most African-American people have lived some of these issues and get what's going on in the movie and look beyond what the so called critics look for in style and direction. This is a movie that could make $60-75M box office with no problem, but as indicated by others, will only get nominated at award time by the Black Movie Awards and The NAACP Image staff.

Token White Guy's Review.

Author: wynonasbigbrownbeaver from Japan
18 September 2009

I was the sole honky of the bunch when I watched this TP movie back in the day. I was dating a black woman at the time and I entertained her idea of watching this while knowing that I am not the target audience. She must have wanted to teach me something about it, whatever that might have been.

Knowing this, I would accept this movie and view this movie impartially. Bear in mind, I am not the guy that Tyler Perry is trying to sell this to. Just like I am not the guy whom Disney would want to market the Jonas Brothers.

MY REVIEW OF THIS MOVIE....

Production wise, it was adequate. I sat through this movie from beginning to end, trying to empathize with his screen writing and realizing that this is a typical romantic comedy aimed towards African Americans. It contains the same type of drama that white people go through. Lime green space aliens with the same emotions as black and white folks would have given me the same effect of indifference. This is supposed to a Romantic "Comedy", the genre is usually mis-labeled because these types of films are SELDOM COMEDIC at BEST!

For the acting, it was decent. The four portrayed couples acted like couples at the retreat. Just like white folks do. The four couples spend the week in the cabin, both genders split to share stories, gossip, and problems. Tyler Perry and friends "keeping it real" drinking in the porch, while Janet Jackson and friends giving each other moral support in the kitchen. Nothing funny or inspiring about this, just semi-interesting chatter. The dialog plainly takes up most of the film. A ninth and tenth wheel are added for the sake of back-story and now I am forced to keep track of all ten characters in the film. The one character I thought redeemed the otherwise bore was the Alcoholic wife, played by Tasha Smith, I almost liked this movie because of her. Other than that Janet Jackson and Malik Yoba had a semi-inspiring kiss-and-make- up moment near the end, and that is as much credit I can give it.

Earlier I implied that I entered this movie with an open mind, but was a bit alienated by some of the scenes. The White Actors, adding up to four characters with actual lines that are in this movie, are portrayed as shallow and stuck up. Who would really force a woman off a plane because she's overweight, especially when she sat comfortably in the chair? The turd who kicked her off a plane had to be the white man. He just HAD to be TYLER! And what about those old women who re-used the line "WE ONLY TAKE CASH!" to a trio of black women shoppers? (REFER TO EDDIE MURPHY's COMING TO America). THANKS TYLER, I appreciate your stereotypical viewpoints that all white people are stuck-up upper-classed a$$*****. Now I know why this movie isn't for me.

Overall, I am 50/50 on whether or not I would recommend it. Some outside the target audience who are more sensitive than I am, shouldn't go. But for the rest, it's okay I guess.

"The Perils of Marriage"

Author: screenwriter-14 from United States
17 November 2007

I went to see WHY DID I GET MARRIED? to support a film which featured a fellow employee's wife, Denise Boutte, and I was not disappointed in her beauty, nor her performance as Trina. I felt the story and the characters were reflective of all men and women who struggle daily with their careers and marriage in an attempt to combine both successfully. The film shows how hard this is to accomplish.

The journey the characters take and the reality of the dialog as they gather at a weekend reunion rang true to me and the brilliance of the Tyler Perry film is this is a film that transcends color lines and the characters cry, battle, laugh and move on in their lives just as the average family does today in America, and across continents. Bravo Janet Jackson in your role as I thought she was marvelous. I would like to see a follow up to this film and to find out how the characters have traveled.

You will never get these two hours back!

Author: jrcarterno1 from United States
5 April 2009

Tyler Perry is a genius because black people are so desperate to see their own in movies they will watch anything. This guy is making millions of dollars with substandard writing, and terrible acting. The people in this movie do not portray black professionals but rather idiots. If a rich guy was doing gangster rap we would rip him to shreds because of his inability to capture the essence of a life that he truly doesn't understand and this is no different. Tyler Perry clearly has an inner city mind and is trying to write about middle class Black America, but doesn't have a clue. I know a fraud when I see one! The movie has no substance, it's not believable, and it's awful. I would rather watch paint dry then watch this movie again. My words may seem harsh, but I'm sick and tired of stupid black movies.

Everythang isn't for YOU!

Author: mommasigma from United States
29 October 2007

This movie was very germane and relevant to the Black public. No one asked ignorant people who could not relate to view this movie. We are tired in 2007 of other races shoving things, trends, and politics to us that don't concern us.

No this movie did not allow a range like the Color Purple; but what it did do was allow African Americans who are trying to love their spouses and have careers and grow, TALK. It allowed us to dialogue with our husbands.

We thank you Tyler for using what God gave you. Jesus was crucified; we are in great company.

I loved this movie

Author: SweeTGaL89 from United States
28 October 2007

I like all genraz of movies.. except for governmental stuff. i don't really get into that. SO i'm not just rooting for this particular type....although I do believe that this movie was awesome. It touched my heart. I had tears coming down my eyes! I can't believe 760 people gave it a 1 rating.The movie was not bad.. and that is not just my opinion speaking....Give it a 5, a 4, or something.. But a 1? You have got to be kidding me. Did you even see the movie or are you just being a hater? This movie was by far my favorite T.P. movie.I hope Taylor keeps making more. I think he has an amazing thing going and he is really pulling us in with the real life scenarios he has going.It's amazing because a lot of this goes down in real life. There will always be haters but this movie was good. Stop being racist and look outside the color.

Tremendous Film! A Must See!

Author: kiri_cole from United States
12 November 2007

My husband and I went to see this movie and we thought that it was excellent. The film successfully portrayed the trials and tribulations of a marriage. Although many moments in the movie were quite serious, there were bits of comical relief that lightened the mood and made the film that much more charming. The bonds of friendship amongst the men were very realistic. Likewise, the female characters were well developed, real, and honest. And all of the characters grew and evolved. Also, this film portrayed middle to upper class blacks, a segment of society intentionally ignored by Hollywood. It showed blacks in all walks of life, from doctors to entrepreneurs, and not just as athletes or entertainers. Additionally, the film included a "Godly" element, which enriched it greatly. As American society continues to try to stamp out the importance of God, I am elated that Tyler Perry recognizes and includes God and Christ in his films. And there was no profanity! What a relief! Overall, the movie was captivating, moving, and fantastically entertaining. My Caucasian husband agrees that if this was a "white" film the ratings would have soared. I implore Tyler Perry to keep up the great work.

Must See Movie Of The Year

Author: Sue987 from United States
21 October 2007

This movie is a must see for all. Nice to watch a movie that everyone is talking back to the big screen and no one is calling the usher to usher you out. I laughed, I got upset, I got teary eyed. Great cast/directing, producing and writing. Tyler has shown us what else he can do. I love it. I can't wait for the DVD. I saw the movie on Sweetest Day and will see it again with another group of friends.

This movie will also make a great stocking stuffer. Tyler, give us more. As much as we all love Madea, I love you doing what you did with this movie. Keep up the great work. Don't want to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it. I just will add. Go see it. It is worth the money.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]