IMDb > Why Did I Get Married? (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Why Did I Get Married?

Why Did I Get Married? More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Why is this rated so low?

Author: loripinklady from United States
21 October 2007

Why this film is rated at 3.2 is beyond me. I truly have to believe that it is racism. Tyler Perry is not my favorite but he is not untalented either. Instead of showing African Americans as either crack heads or criminals he is trying to show that African American people hold important jobs, are educated and struggle with issues just like white people do. This movie was well written and entertaining, no doubt about it. It was funny and insightful, showing the ups and downs of marriage and also showing unconditional Love that has to come with a successful marriage.I think Tyler Perry is a wonderful example for African Americans,Strong and spiritual and not afraid to show his Faith in God in his movies and that is to be applauded. Why is it that you can't show movies of Faith now days but can show sex, violence and cursing in Movies with no problem at all? What is this society coming to? I would really like to know.

Surprisingly good, very inspiring film.....

Author: lotus_chief from Brooklyn, NY
21 October 2007

I have absolutely no idea why this film has such a low rating here on IMDb, i'm curious as to how many of the people who rated this movie so low actually WATCHED the movie. Anyhow, this movie was recommended to be my numerous friends of mine and I'm glad I took them up on the recommendation.

Being very, VERY wary of the 'Waiting To Exhale' effect I expected here, I was very hesitant about watching this movie, but I was assured pretty quickly. I'm not a very big fan of Tyler Perry; he is talented enough that I can tolerate most of his material. With that being said, he really came through here with this film. While not at all perfect, it gets its point across very effectively and you can't help but have a good time watching. One cannot help but look into their own lives and re-evaluate it in some way. If you're married/involved with someone, you're the ideal audience. If you're single, you can't help but take things away from this film to help make your ideals and beliefs of companionship and marriage that much stronger for when you do finally decide to take that step.

I had a couple of issues with the film:

1. Sheila's husband, Mike's character was way overboard in my opinion. Besides the fact that Jill Scott is a beautiful, absolutely GORGEOUS woman...the way he acted towards her was damn near unbelievable (as in not possible). In a way I couldn't help but wait for him to say that the joke was on her and he was just playing around. As silly as that sounds, his whole character was complete overkill; he was too much of an a--hole. And we never got an explanation as to WHY he was acting the way he was.

2. The film ended a little too quickly. I felt that the last 30 minutes was a cop-out. It was like Perry & Co. said, 'ok time for everybody to make up' and, with one fail swoop everyone's happy again. The intensity of the issues raised at the dinner table that night was HUGE, and with everything being exposed so quickly at one time made it that much more intense. There was just not enough time given to FULLY resolve everything that was raised between the 4 couples. The Janet Jackson/Malik Yoba couple was the best as far as seeing the two people truly get to the core of their issue and coming to some sort of resolution. As much as Jai White/Tasha Smith argued and were about to kill each other (at one point, literally), a simple 'I'm sorry' between them and the sudden 'ok honey, whatever you say' attitude of Smith in that scene was a little cheap. The same goes for Perry/Leal; she's in a car trying to come up with the list, gives up and just says 'I'm sorry', and all is well again?? What happened to the tubes being tied? That is VERY serious, and her deception about the whole thing made it that much worse. I doubt that would've been so easily forgiven so quickly by Perry. Jill Scott's situation was fleshed out a little more, naturally because of everything she went through as well as the eventual transition to someone else. I don't know how long the ceremony was after the Colorado trip, but the ring on Jill Scott's finger seemed a little premature. 'We're getting married' would've been a little more realistic in my opinion, but hey it's not my story.

As far as the acting goes, Jill Scott was magnificent. It was great to see Jai White in this kind of role, and he played it flawlessly. His 'showdown' between the two women outside was wonderful. I'm glad to see him out there; he's a talented actor who definitely needs more shine. I really hopes this does it for him. Yoba was good, Jackson had her moments, she was tolerable, but very bland. Perry was good as well, very grounded and balanced....I liked his character as well. Tasha Smith was a riot, she nailed it on the head and was very entertaining.

Overall, I must say that this movie is a must-see. Not at all perfect, but it gets its point across very effectively and engages the audience in issues that it can't help but relate to. The writing was good, the religious overtones were pretty abundant (as usual in Perry's material) but I didn't feel bombarded. All of the characters and their issues were BALANCED!!, which was essential in order for a movie like this to have credibility....unlike 'Waiting To Exhale'. When you can watch a movie and walk away from it with something to really think about, it's done it's job. Why Did I Get Married does that, and does it well.

P.S. Please go out and see the film for yourself, it's definitely better than a 3.2 rating.

Shame to the People who rated this and did not watch it!

Author: Akeyla Henry from United States
13 October 2007

This movie surprised me, because I had seen all the other Tyler Perry productions and was not impressed. I just saw this new film four hours ago, and frankly, I was blown away. The comedic, yet dramatic, performances by the actors was quite impressive. Not only was the acting good, but the editing and plot of the film were well thought out, unlike most of the films this year were. The film wasn't too heavy, and it wasn't too light - a problem that most Tyler Perry's films have.

This film reminds me of when one shoots for the stars and then lands on clouds. While other films this year shot for the clouds and landed much lower. This movie was a millimeter under flawless, and I presume that it will be getting many awards this year.

I encourage others to go and watch this film; you won't regret it. Your stereotypes of films will almost cease to exist as soon as you watch this film.

couples vacation together to reaffirm their marriages -comedy-drama

Author: mltosh from United States
31 October 2008

Like other reviewers of this movie, I can't believe the low ratings that some people gave it. I rented this movie as a lark. Other than hearing his name, I was not really familiar with Tyler Perry nor had seen any of his other productions. My Hubby (of 30+ years) is out-of-town, and because we have only sons, I get out-voted a lot and thus don't get to see many "chick flicks." I discovered that this film is neither a "chick flick" nor a "black flick." It is a comedy-drama HUMAN interest film about four married couples who vacation together once a year to reaffirm their marriages. The situations that these couples face are those that anyone who's been married any length of time might relate to. I loved it! It made me laugh and cry and think. What more can you ask of a film?! It was beautifully filmed and the acting was top-notch. Sure there were a few weak spots here and there, but all-in-all, well-crafted.

An uncharacteristically Good Tyler Perry film

Author: sean_va007 from United States
13 January 2008

First of all I must say that I don't understand the low ranking, it is truly an underestimation of this film. I must admit that while I am a Tyler Perry fan I have been underwhelmed by his previous box office offerings. This film for me was a welcomed departure from his other films, it just seemed more professional, well directed, and the casting was phenomenal. Evan though it was rather preachy it seemed much less "after-school-specialish" than his initial movies. Jill Scott was amazing, Tasha Smith was Hilarious, and Janet Jackson wasn't as boring as she usually is. I hope this film is a precursor of more to come from Tyler Perry.

I laughed so hard I have a headache.

Author: Kristina Luft (kaysays@gmail.com) from United States
13 October 2007

I just saw this movie and I think it was a very decent film. It is a comedy with a soap opera feel to it. Basically...when I went in I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. There was a lot of "laugh out loud" moments and a lot of the dialogue was funny. A lot of scenes had the entire theatre laughing including me (The theatre was full) and people were making comments to all the situations really getting into it like "oh hell nah" and "uh uh girl" and "you know it" etc. So its definitely a movie that people can relate to. All in all its a good movie. If you actually go and see it without judging it too fast then chances are you will enjoy it.

And of course just like all of the Tyler Perry movies it has a message at the end that ties the movie all together.

I'm a Fan

Author: pandora12 from United States
14 February 2008

I liked the movie for its entertainment value. I am a fan of Tyler Perry's plays. The film is not Oscar worthy but it has good comedy and a message. This is Tyler Perry's style and many people have come to love his plays and films. The acting was mediocre. I wasn't completely drawn into the characters and their dilemmas. The cinematography was low budget. Having said that, the IMDb 3 rating is way too low for this film. In general, I rate Tyler Perry's films between 5 to 6 stars. To me this rating means a film worth renting but not worth spending the money to see it in the movies. I would purchase it on DVD if available for half the price of a new release.

This review is targeted for people who are not familiar with Tyler Perry's work. As for his fans, I already know you are going to see this movie.

Fabulous! I've seen it twice already!

Author: diana-johnson-1 from United States
22 October 2007

I laughed, I cried, I yelled at the screen. My husband did the same. This movie was spectacular. It's Tyler's best yet.

I was especially impressed with two particular actresses: Tasha Smith and Jill Scott.

I SO enjoyed Tasha's character because she was straight-forward, unafraid, brash and protective of and loyal to her friends. Tasha played this to the hilt. She worked it and I don't think anyone could have played this role better.

Jill Scott, whose career I've followed for many years, turns out to be a phenomenal actress, too! You go, Girl! She laid it down. She owned this role-- the pain, the disrespect, the long-suffering, the faith and hope, and ultimately, the joy and strength that comes partly from having a heart for God and a healthy and humble love of self and that of a good man. She floored me. I knew she was deep, but I didn't know she could take it there!!!! Tyler has outdone himself. This movie didn't need Madea, although I look forward to seeing her on screen again.

This movie was just beautiful from beginning to end. I especially like the way Tyler doesn't hold back the harshness of unpleasantness that is sometimes ever present in marriages in need of some revamping (i.e.- counseling, communication, and yes, even divorce). LOL.

My husband and I kept looking at each other laughing because some of those couples reminded us of ourselves and how quirky and sometimes ridiculous we are.

Keep it coming, Tyler. You've earned a fan for life.

Love and marriage... or not.

Author: Blueghost from The San Francisco Bay Area
13 October 2007

Last night I went to the threatre not knowing what I was going to see. Literally. I had no notion of what films were playing. I wanted to see "The Lost Legion" because I was in the mood for a swords and sandal epic, but it wasn't playing anywhere nearby. Would I not be able to see Roman legions clashing with native armies in Briton? Answer; no. So, I looked up at the list of films, saw "Why did I Get Married", and made a blind ticket purchase for a film I had never heard of, nor had any notion of what it was about.

I've never seen the stage-play upon which this film is based, but, having seen many a stage play adaptation to the big screen, and having been thoroughly disappointed with every one of them, I can say that this one did a fairly good job.

The revolves around several couples whose marriages are teetering in varying degrees of distress. Secrets that have been held tight by husband and wife are eventually thrust into the open, testing the couples' fortitude.

Visually the film is warm and intimate, and keeps a good amount of zest by way of fine emoting. There are some ever so brief lulls, but the story content and delivery by the actors keeps the viewer's attention.

The one "antagonist" in the film (if he can be called that) was almost a little too obvious. The boorish husband character was barely disguised as to his true intentions. So much so that I was wondering if the character wasn't supposed to be putting on some kind of act. But alas, that wasn't the case. It was a shortcoming of the creative team.

Most of the film is light, but there is one segment that came out of left field to break up wit bound dialog. The more dramatic scenes were respectable, but weren't always given the same amount of care to the lighter scenes.

My one real complaint about the story is that I felt somewhat lost as to who was suffering from what history. There's a lot implied, and the more relationship-savvy viewer can probably puzzle out the nuances and idiosyncrasies of marital secrets and scandal. But I have to admit that I just didn't get a lot of the situations until they were spelled out for me. Ah well :-) Some light entertainment that delivers an abridged version of a play with fairly good aplomb. It is a film marketed for an African American audience, but marital situations are universal to all, and as such this film can be enjoyed by all audiences (though your theatre's audience may vary). Definitely a good rent when it comes out on DVD.

Realism and Subtly Take a Vacation, but Likable Enough

Author: rddj05 from United States
11 May 2008

You have to credit Mr. Perry for presenting to us what we so rarely get to see in American film; upper-class, professional African-American couples working through real-life relationship problems. Unfortunately, it's execution leaves a lot to be desired. Though Jill Scott turns in a spectacular performance, and Malik Joba and Tasha Smith are solid, the performances are uneven at best. It's a classic morality tale with more melodrama to fill an afternoon's worth of soap operas. Some of the characters are far too one-dimensional to be credible, including the absurdly sadistic Mike, and the nearly as absurd (and conveniently single) knight in shining armor, Sheriff Troy. There's something oddly antiseptic about the film. Even the arguments seem neat and clean, with well-defined in and out points. Sometimes it is shot like a film, sometimes (with awkward stage-like blocking), it is shot like a play being filmed in a theater proscenium. The screenplay (and direction) has some gaps of logic, but even more egregious is its exposition, which could be held up as a lesson to any aspiring screenwriter on how NOT to write it (eg, "Did you ever think we'd all turn out like this? Diane's a lawyer, I'm a doctor, you're a real estate mogul"). Unfortunately, this type of sloppy exposition abounds throughout. Realism and subtly take a vacation on this one, however, it's still a pleasant, if overly-simplistic, morality tale that's likable enough.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]