IMDb > Jesse Stone: Sea Change (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jesse Stone: Sea Change

Jesse Stone: Sea Change (TV) More at IMDbPro »

As good as the others in the series

Author: vchimpanzee
23 May 2007

In this latest installment of the Jesse Stone series, based on a novel by Robert B. Parker, the biggest crime problem for the police chief of Paradise is parking violations. It's a good thing, because dispatcher Rose is being trained to take over for Molly, whose pregnancy is high-risk. And Officer Simpson is in the hospital. And Chief Stone and D'Angelo don't get along.

Stone's ex has a new boyfriend, and she wants to discontinue her telephone conversations for a while. Stone still doesn't have his drinking problem completely under control, and the townspeople have become aware of it. With temptation quite strong, Stone turns to Dr. Dix.

To give him something interesting to do, Stone reopens a 15-year-old unsolved murder connected with a bank robbery in which the victim was Leeann's sister Rebecca. For years, Leeann has taken care of her mother, who had a stroke after her daughter's death.

But Stone should have waited, because he does get a challenging case. Cathleen Holton says she has been raped. Stone has reason to believe she is lying. Harrison Pendleton is rich, and he owns the schooner where the alleged incident took place. Sybil Martin looks good in a swimsuit and seems to know something. The town council would prefer that the case be kept quiet so tourists will not be discouraged from attending the Fall Regatta.

Several old cases also play a role in the movie.

As with the other movies, some people may find this boring. But Tom Selleck, William Devane and Kathy Baker have strong characters to work with and they give very good performances, so in my opinion the movie is interesting enough with minimal action. Violence is almost nonexistent until the final scenes, though I think the movie would have been fine without what happened at the end.

I think pretty much everyone does a good job here. And both main plot lines are just complicated enough, though neither is developed enough for a full movie. We never know which of the old cases will provide clues to the new ones, and sometimes we have no idea which case a certain event involves. This seems like two separate hour-long episodes, though in the real world police officers would be working on multiple cases.

I was happy with this movie, and I look forward to more of them.

it's really difficult to say which Jesse Stone movie is the best, they're all magnificent

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
1 December 2007

The Jesse Stone movies are definitely among the best of made-for-television movies out there. "Night Passage" and "Death in Paradise" were both wonderful mystery movies and "Sea Change" is right up there on top with them. Here, Police Chief Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) is trying to solve two cases at once. Both of which are not connected to one another. The town councilmen say he should try to solve a rape case, his mind tells him he should try to solve a murder case that occurred in Paradise fifteen years ago.

Tom Selleck was born to play Jesse Stone. He has the overall weathered-down appearance for a cop who has gone through a lot of miseries and personal problems with life and continues to go through them. His voice and mannerism also has the laconic tone suitable for Jesse Stone that enhances the believability of his performance. Performances by the rest of the cast was very good and the show went to reintroduce some characters that had not been seen since the second movie "Night Passage".

Like the others before it, "Sea Change" is a powerful mystery-drama. It appropriately keeps us guessing along with Stone until the end and just as I wanted to happen, something occurred in the movie that was both expected and unexpected at the same time. I will not give any hints as to what does happen or when it happens, for I don't want to ruin the surprise for anybody who hasn't seen this amazing television movie.

Great TV Mystery

Author: whpratt1 from United States
23 May 2007

Tom Sellewck, (Chief Jesse Stone) assumes the role as Police Chief in a small local town in Mass. and finds himself getting bored with talking to his ex-wife and drinking a entire bottle of scotch during the evening while his companion, the dog keeps him company and watches every move Jesse makes. Jesse gets himself involved with a Cold Case of a woman who was killed during a robbery in 1992 and finds out there was a great deal of money involved with this robbery and some big time mob bosses were laundering money. While this investigation is going on, Jesse solves a rape case that happened to a young girl on a schooner in the harbor. There are many twists and turns to this film and it will keep you guessing right to the very end of the film. Great entertaining film with a cast of great actors.

mini-classics, lost in time

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
23 October 2015

Selleck does not get enough credit for this series.

On the one hand this whole series can be dismissed as the efforts of yet one more "older" actor to keep stirring the pot, to stay in the game, and at the same time get to play in his favorite sandbox on the planet (Nova Scotia, standing in for Maine).

But if you dig deeper and consider the series as a whole what you find is remarkable control, and craftsmanship.

The same people appear in every movie, both in front of and behind the camera. Ignoring the regional Canadian accents, they are not bad.

Selleck is brilliant. Stone could be the best work of his career. He has trumped Clint Eastwood in his mastery of the two-word piece of dialog. He stands a fragile but unwavering force for law enforcement. There is minimal violence or action in these entries but they hold interest nonetheless.

And that damn dog with the stoic face steals every scene he is in.

Not the best Jesse Stone movie, but I'll watch Tom anytime, anyway

Author: gs-web from Paradise, California
23 May 2007

I watched the new Jesse Stone movie last night and I enjoyed it, even though it wasn't my favorite of all of the Jesse Stone movies. I just love watching Tom Selleck and so do a number of my friends. As soon as we saw the commercial for it on TV, we all called each other up. In fact, one of my friends came over to watch in on my big TV.

Tom Selleck is great and the Jesse Stone character is well acted and different. I like the fact that he is an alcoholic and just sort of working his way through his life. I am getting a little sick of the ex wife and hope the plot changes and she gets the boot pretty soon.

My main complaint about this movie is that they wasted the fine talent of Sean Young in an almost non-existent role. If they bring her back and she becomes much more in a later movie, I guess I can see it, but if this is all we are going to see of Sean in the series I'm really going to be disappointed. I always loved her and I miss seeing her in films these days. She seems like one of those actors in Hollywood that has taken a bad rap and its too bad because we all miss getting to see her play great roles that go to actors with less talent. For example, she would have been a GREAT and much more interesting Catwoman. So, Tom, since you are the executive producer, I hope you have some interesting plans for Sean Young in the future.

The plot in this film was not as exciting as the first of the series. I missed seeing more of Viola Davis and Kathy Baker seems more of a made for TV type of actress - very typecast. It seemed like they brought in a lot of characters for short bits and this made the whole movie a little thin.

That said, William Devane was great as the chain smoking psychiatrist and the rest of the huge cast were good in their roles, regardless of how small.

Next time I hear about a new Jesse Stone movie I'm STILL going to call my friends and record it on my DVR. I just hope to see lot more of Sean Young and a little stronger plot.

Great storytelling

Author: lennybrown
11 August 2012

While some may find the pace plodding and grow impatient, real enjoyment follows for those who focus on the subtleties of character development through facial gestures, incremental relationship growth between characters, and the economical dialogue. All the Jesse Stone movies provide refreshing change from movies relying excessively on frenetic car chases, lengthy foot pursuits, protracted shoot-outs, high body counts, sixteen camera views of the same explosion, badly contrived conflict between partners, and tiring vocabulary abuse (profanity). Watch these in order because there are larger story threads that connect from movie to movie especially concerning the central characters. When you find yourself able to relax and have a story with depth gradually and carefully laid out before you, you'll be in the right frame of mind to enjoy this. As a peripheral character in Sea Change tells Jesse, "listen to Brahms."

Jesse Stone delves into trouble in Paradise.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
22 May 2007

This is the fourth movie based on Robert B. Parker's best selling series of Jesse Stone books. Tom Selleck is once again Stone, the over qualified police chief of the tiny community of Paradise, Massachuesetts. Jesse, with his past and present demons...thoughts of his ex-wife and a bottle of Scotch needing to be emptied, realizes an understandable nightmare coming true: writing parking tickets is just not enough. His current small staff is taxed with one of his officers on maternity leave and one recovering from a near fatal wound. The restless chief immerses himself in the investigation of a case that went cold a dozen years ago. He is certain there is more to the robbery and murder of a bank teller that wasn't investigated very well. But there is a current case that needs attention; a young woman claims that she was raped aboard a yacht. Some things are important, while some things are made to be important. Chief Stone gets the action he needs for his own peace of mind. This CBS Television movie has a talented cast that includes: Sean Young, William Devane, Mika Boorem, Saul Rubinek, Kathy Baker, James Gammon and Joe the Dog.

Good As It Gets!

Author: bikerhiker46 from United States
9 March 2013

If some archaeologist is digging around some 200 years from now and happens upon a copy of this film I only hope he's able to find a DVD player that will play it. Sea Change is that good! And unlike the usual junk passing for cinema these days this movie (and others in the series) displays a range of talent that will speak well of the 21st Century movie industry. Wonderful writing, wonderful directing, wonderful acting, wonderful sound track! But perhaps most impressive of all is the photography. In fact as a professional photographer specializing in landscape stills I was time and time again blown away by the powerful composition of the scenes, the originality of the camera work, the blending of subtle tone and color. As masterful piece of cinema-photography as I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing and memories of the most powerful shots shall inform my own work for years to come.

Less is more

Author: foxpath207 from United States
19 June 2012

Robert Parker, like novelist Georges Simenon, was a master of his craft. Both men knew how to say just enough, and no more, allowing the reader to fill in the blanks. Parker's books are really acts of collaboration between writer and reader. It is rare for a film to capture the spirit of the book it sprang from, and rarer still for the film to be faithful to the writer's method. The Jesse Stone films are the wonderful exception. They are true to the books, and faithful to Parker's lean, spare style. Less is always more, like a Japanese line drawing. These films are beautifully crafted little gems. High marks to all who had a hand in their production.

Police work as therapy

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
10 December 2016

Things have gone from bad to worse in Tom Selleck's relationship with his ex-wife 3000 miles away in California and he's starting to drink again. His counselor William Devane says that work is the best therapy because an active mind won't be thinking about those bad things that led one to alcohol abuse. So there are three cold case homicides on the Paradise police blotter. Selleck picks one involving a teller who was taken during a holdup in 1992 and whose body was found in 1994.

The bank that was held up was the one Saul Rubinek was the president of and who on the Paradise Town Council was Selleck's biggest booster. Later on in another film Rubinek is arrested when he's found laundering money for the mob in his little small town bank. Selleck in fact goes to prison to visit Rubinek for information.

He also visits the victim's family and talks to her sister Rebecca Pidgeon in his quest for justice. That looks like it could get personal as well. She's taking care of her mother who is a stroke patient and needs a lot of care.

The second case is a young girl who was raped while on board a millionaire's schooner that is in the town harbor.

Ironically there's a lot of sadness tied to both cases and Selleck does what he can control his own desire to drown his own sorrows with what he uncovers.

Even though I kind of guessed the solution of the robbery this film was still well done and acted superbly by the ensemble.