IMDb > "Californication" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Californication"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Californication" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

must.watch.

Author: Samuel Cho from Paraguay
23 January 2008

I can't talk about this show enough. It's just genius. I mean, it's so good it survived 75% of the advertisers pulling off after the pilot because of all the boycotts these sad little organizations were doing. It also survived a lawsuit by Red Hot Chilli Peppers on some crap about the name of their song and the name of the series.

Well, Californication got nominated to 2 golden globes and won one even though it's a series that doesn't cover a big age range. I'm just afraid Hollywood will screw up as it always does and pull the show off the air.

So, I'm telling you people, watch the the first episode and you'll know what you're missing. This series is a gem.

Absolutely Excellent... Nothing Like It

Author: tpaladino from United States
17 August 2007

Its hard to explain everything that this show has going for it, and if the pilot is any indication, we are in for a fantastically brilliant series.

I've watched the pilot about 10 times already, and it is just as good as the first viewing. It is a remarkable balance between love, regret, loneliness, debauchery and moral value, the likes of which I have rarely seen.

Duchovney's character has this amazing combination of I-don't-give-a-f**k attitude (stemming from his obvious depression and regret over his ex and several other things), conceit, vulnerability, bitterness, and misogyny, while simultaneously being utterly moral and upstanding, especially in his desire to do the right thing for his ex and daughter, as exemplified in the final scene when he rushes to crash a house party that his daughter is attending and literally carries her out of there when he saw her smoking pot with some boys.

It is a remarkably refreshing change from the usual 'cool-parent' liberal permissive attitude that one has come to expect in these situations. And coming from a character like Hank (Duchovney) its especially redeeming. He is an amazingly complex character, and Duchovney pulls it off flawlessly.

The writing is nearly perfect, as is the casting and acting. The soundtrack is as brilliant and evocative as anything I've experienced thus far in television or film, and it all comes together in a hilarious, poignant and extremely entertaining package. Love it and looking forward to more.

awesome new duchovny series

Author: smokeonit1 from germany
22 July 2007

i really loved the pilot!

duchovny comes across very authentic as a writer in his midlife crisis. divorced and unhappy the daughter suffers the most under the separation. for my part it wonder if the classification as a comedy is right... it's very sarcastic... there's some scenes that are funny but most of the time it's more a drama than comedy...

the series has a lot of potential and it's not a 100% clear where it might take us if it gets picked up. let's hope showtime has the guts to give duchovny a chance to show of his talent. for my part i loved his performance and that it would be good thing to have him back on a TV series.

Intelligence, wit and sex in one place!

Author: theladydragonfly from United States
18 September 2007

This has to be one of the best written shows in years. It has so much going on and generally speaking, this is a recipe for disaster. The name tells you this is going to be about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll, and it is. It is also about love, tenderness, trying to keep kids from growing up too fast, dissatisfaction with life and settling for what you think you want.

The dialog pacing is flawless and the humor timing is spot on. Things come at you out of nowhere, delivered in Duchovney's signature deadpan to great effect here. The writing does credit to the English language, albeit it well salted and peppered with expletives. The very best part of this show is that the characters felt well fleshed out from the first 5 minutes and they have continued to feel real. The relationships in the story line are valid and authentic.

In short, it just gets better and better. I find myself watching one of the rebroadcasts nearly every evening and enjoying it more each time.

Funny, witty, and wry!

Author: yossarian100 from usa
14 August 2007

Duchovny is perfectly cast here as Hank Moody, and delivers his witty and wry lines with tongue firmly implanted in his cheek. Playing a talented but dysfunctional writer in the middle of a mid-life crisis, Duchovny's character is spot on. He can't pass a whiskey glass or a skirt and they even throw in a Porche for him to drive, in case your mind drifts. Only this is his mid-life crisis so we can laugh at it. It's OK. Natascha McElhone, having survived the Hungarian Revolution on The Company, gets to do something fun this time. This is good. She's both talented and HOT!

I laughed pretty much through the entire first episode and I'm looking forward to just how badly Moody...yeah, a guy having a mid-life crisis named Moody...can screw up his life this season.

I am so IN!

Duchovny's Back and He's Got the Goods!

Author: gpadillo from Portland, Maine
18 August 2007

I can't remember when I laughed so steadily from start to finish of a new show. Family Guy? Perhaps. In Californication Showtime has one of its strongest hits . . . ever. The writing is bitingly crisp, intelligent and fresh. Duchovny's delivery has the timing of a master comic actor and his portrayal of Hank is winning. As with the very best of comedies, beneath the bubbly surface of Californication is a show that in a single episode reveals richly drawn characters of depth and purpose. Hank's lecherousness, womanizing, wry wit and in-your-face bluntness succeed only partially in covering up a complex (or perhaps merely complicated?) man who appears to be facing all of his mid life crisis's at once. Every note in this comic symphony was perfectly struck and I look forward to getting to know Hank - and the rest of his gang - better as the weeks go by. Bravo Showtime!

Wonderfully entertaining!

Author: csuttie from Canada
19 September 2007

I am greatly enjoying this show and hope it will run a very long time. There's something about this show that seems so real. It makes me laugh, it makes me think, and it brings something to the table for everyone. It has emotion, sex, passion, hard times, and complexity. Hanks character is absolutely great, and all the other characters are developing very well, and becoming very unique. I also enjoy Nip/Tuck, but this show is like a much more tangible version, with more depth, and somewhat on Valium (as it is much less over the top!). I believe that anyone can relate to this show with all this depth, diversity, and complexity. I highly recommend this show to anyone, and I am in love. I will definitely not miss an episode and look forward to buying the DVD releases in the future. Bravo to all parties involved with this series!

A solid new comedy series with top drawer performance from Duchovny

Author: DVD_Connoisseur from England
11 October 2007

From its controversial opening scene to its excellent finale, the first episode of "Californication" sets the tone for the series. Stylishly directed by the always-reliable Stephen Hopkins, the pilot is thoroughly entertaining adult comedy. Watching the first episode reminded me a little of a modern Blake Edwards' production.

The cast are excellent, especially David Duchovny as the seedy Hank Moody, a man whose mid-life crisis is on display for all to see, from his Porsche to his constant bed-hopping.

The script is sharp and the whole show exudes quality.

Recommended.

Funny, cool, one-of-a-kind show for adults!

Author: cynsunshine from New Jersey, USA
10 October 2007

If you have Showtime and you're not watching Californication, you're definitely missing out. I'm so glad I watched the first episode because I was hooked within the first five minutes and haven't missed an episode yet (I think it's up to 8 episodes now). I'm getting Showtime for free right now but just because of Weeds and Californication, I would probably continue paying for it after my free time is up.

I've never seen a show quite like this...the humor totally rocks; I especially love how witty it is, like when Hank says something like, "Shrivel me testes". The characters and their interactions are top-notch and I enjoy every minute of it.

I totally enjoy (most of) the actors, especially Pamela Adlon, who plays Marcie; she's mostly a voice actor (cartoon boys, mostly) and I love seeing her in an on-screen role; we need to see more of this talented woman! Sometimes I'm shocked at how hardcore the show can be and I LOVE THAT about it. It keeps me on my toes and is rarely predictable (even though whenever you see a hot chick you just know Hank will be doing her within five minutes...not the most realistic, but hey, it's a TV show with a title that includes the word, "fornication")!

I hope there is a Season 2 for this awesome new show...any many more seasons beyond. If you don't have Showtime, wait till Californication comes out on DVD and get it right away!

Fresh, witty entertainment

Author: Aaron Malocha (cptnspoon19) from Ypsilanti, MI, USA
15 September 2007

I just watched the pilot on-demand and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed by this show. David Duchovny was a pure gem to watch as the sardonic and hapless writer in the surreal realm of Southern California. The dialogue is top-notch, the plot is thick and juicy. Hank is a deep, 3-dimensional character that we seldom see on television. Though he is definitely damaged, there is something in his tribulations that audiences can relate to. His difficulty in writing is a situation I have felt many times when I sit down at the keyboard. Similarly, I empathize with his relationship problems. The problems he faces are problems that real people face brought to life in a very funny, unique way.

With this show, Weeds, The L Word and Dexter, Showtime is becoming the new HBO. That being said I really hope this show keeps the spark that made the pilot so good for the full run of the series.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]