IMDb > Killer at Large (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Killer at Large More at IMDbPro »

A serious social Issue

Author: EconomistOfDeath from Canada
24 May 2009

Before I write a review, I suppose I should let all the readers know that I am an athletic adult that tries to eat a proper diet. The reason why I bring this up, is because my views may be personally biased in favor of eating well.

So on with the review. Killer at large starts by illuminating the issue of obesity by educating us with the history of the matter. The movie then progresses to the groups involved in the obesity issue, them being as such; the individual, the farmers/food providers, corporations and then the govt. For each groups Killer at Large does a great job with in depth analysis.

The movie then is completed by showing how this issue of obesity is being counteracted.

My only issues with the film was that it almost seemed like it wanted to veer off into conspiracies at times. I would have also liked to see more information based on the farmers and how corporations ARE helping to solve the obesity epidemic.

Overall, I rather enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to someone interested in the obesity issue.

similar to food inc.

Author: chris miller (chris@aptpupil.org) from davis, california
16 July 2009

as good as food inc. and a good companion piece. this one talks more about the culture that has led to the obesity epidemic, though it does address some of the same issues as food inc and future of food. this has better guests overall than either of those two films including the obligatory organic farmer and Michael pollan (author of the omnivore's dilemma who has been doing the rounds lately) as well as Ralph Nader, Neil labute, teachers, and other food experts. all these documentaries are at their core the same: they present the problem and trot out many of the same guest and then provide some examples of solutions. formulaic, but this one is pretty good. B+.

Why are schools the parents?

Author: Kellykyle from United States
24 October 2012

Why do we continue to take on the responsibility of parents? The real documentary is asking the question why parents allow their kids to go to school and eat junk. Let's explore the trend of parents to shirk responsibility. The number one role of a parent is to feed and shelter. It is not the job of public education to feed the students. Here's a solution- close the cafeterias and get the parents to pack a lunch or have junior and senior high kids pack their own. This is a ridiculous documentary. If parents stop giving grade school students money and pack them a real lunch then there go the rotten lunch programs. If the intent of this documentary is to help the situation then it missed it's mark. Outside agency's, film makers, lunch ladies can not do the job of parents. Free lunch programs? It's free! Do you expect it to be great? It's cheap free food. What to stop it? Do a better job regulating how food stamps are spent.

Killer at Large

Author: aget-26-307851 from United States
12 April 2011

Wow, OK well be prepared to get knocked around while watching this movie. It is relentless with aggressive professionals a saying everything we are doing wrong spouting facts at you and saying that America is, well basically, a bunch of failures. When you are watching this you are lucky enough to view a lot of graphic picture and videos. And when I say a lot, I mean a whole **** lot of graphic pictures and videos. But I guess that is the reason why this movie is put out there. It shows you what is really happening. Oh! and guess who else shows up in this movie. Michael Pollan, the food guru and author. Now if that doesn't prove that this movie's capacity of attack on the food system, what else is.

When you're ready to see what America has changed into or you want to find what is actually happening underneath your skin. Or possibly you want to find what you can do to change yourself. Even if you have no reason to watch this movie, watch the movie. It will open your eyes and it will push you to be a healthier person and a better person in every other category. Seriously get ready though. (it's kinda gross…)

depressing

Author: Eric Gmeinder (egmeinder@gmail.com) from California, U.S.A.
27 July 2011

Some of the facts in this movie are inaccurate. According to the end, 112,000 Americans died because of obesity in 2006, but in the late 1990s the number was almost three times as high as that.

I'm not saying obesity isn't a major social issue, but I do think Steven Greenstreet shouldn't have ended with failure instead of success stories. Now, even when I so much as hear this film mentioned, I feel like I have to get far away. It contains a lot of good information but even writing this review is giving me PTSD. The one good thing about its tonality is that it inspired me to do something (which this film tries to discourage), and that is why I'm making my own documentary.