IMDb > "House M.D." One Day, One Room (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"House M.D." One Day, One Room (2007)

« Prev | 58 of 176 Episodes | Next »

great episode dunno what the other guys on about...

Author: jonol63
9 February 2007

In response to the other persons comment, were they watching the same episode as me???

firstly, its a TV series not a "movie" and the writers did a wonderful job on that episode.

It actually showed house, out of his comfort zone and doing something he wasn't typically 'good at'. Also this episode gave a sense of 'realism' (for lack of a better word) to the show, instead of the whole usual saving lives thing where house and his 3 ducks dredge though mountains of information and possible diagnosis options (dont get met wrong i love that as well!!). But the show needed a smack of realism so, it changed it up and got away from the whole Tritter thing, and start afresh..

anyhow just my opinion i really enjoyed the ep!

great show.. great season!

one of the best episodes yet

Author: atalya from Israel
13 March 2007

other than maybe "three stories" and "no reason", this is definitely one of the best! it deals with powerful controversial issues, which is maybe why some people found it disturbing - but that's the whole point! a show like "house", or any other show come to think of it, is not suppose to make everyone agree with it - it's suppose to make you think or even annoy you. if it did annoy you - it did it's job and did it well! aside from that - Hugh Laurie is (as usuall) phenomenal. and Winnick - this is my first encounter with this actress and i was amazed. she did challenge him (both Laurie and house...) and the dynamic between the two of them was amazing. it was so amazing, that it made it believable for him to eventually open up to her.

and for those of you who didn't like the child-abuse idea - the thing is, i don't think the writers meant for us to say: "oh, so that's why he's the way he is". not at all, neither does house uses it as an excuse. it's just another piece of the big puzzle which is house, along with many other pieces. the point and the strenght of this revelation, i think, is not that he's been abused - but the Revelation itself, the fact that he suddenly opens up and talks to her without his mask of sarcasm and bitterness. that's what was so powerful about it.

brilliant writing. brilliant acting. brilliant episode.

A fresh turn for the series.

Author: digitalfreak2007 from United States
8 February 2007

Those of you familiar with House know of his rude, arrogant attitude towards both his coworkers and his patients. This episode tones that down a bit and is a refreshing experience for those who have become numb to House's usual behavior. The humor is more tongue-in-cheek this time around and this episode provides more than its usual amount of laughs. While some viewers might view this particular episode as an apparent weakening of House's snide composure, it is only because House is reacting to someone who reminds him of his troubled past. This episode also served to develop House's character. Rather than spending all the time having petty squabbles with Cuddy and the rest of his group, House is a lot more deep in his discussions.

Brilliant, one of the best episodes!

Author: DERKOMAI from United States
2 March 2007

I applaud David Shore (the show's creator, so I doubt he'll fire himself) for writing this pivotal episode even though he must have known few people would understand it. What I loved about this episode is that all the negative comments people are making as examples of how it was typical and lame are actually the opposite or have nothing to do with what was going on. I understand that on the outside, if you don't specifically pay attention to what is being said, this episode would come off as a boring fluffy installment of Grey's Anatomy. In reality, from House's perspective the message was rather bleak in that he comes to the conclusion that talking to the patient did no good for either of them. House did not turn nice, his dark cynical outlook on life and humanity was fully intact throughout saying we are base animals who can occasionally aspire to something less than evil. He was cold and argumentative with her the whole time until the very end when he decided that revealing something about himself he finds uncomfortable talking about would get her to talk, a move he made despite himself and ultimately found to be useless. They never claimed House's abuse to be the reason he is the way he is nor that her rape excuses her from anything. The episode was a discussion about logic, dealing with traumatic events, and, predominantly, how we respond to and are affected by the people we end up in rooms with rather than the world as a whole.

I think I also need to clarify something else. The purpose of the old man had nothing to do with Jesus. The relation may have been intended for fun along with House's position lying on the picnic table, but that's not the reason for the story's presence in the episode. The father stuff was a ploy, that may or may not have been true, to get Cameron to let him die in pain so she wouldn't forget him as just another patient. He wanted to be remembered. It's a parallel to House's storyline in that House and Cameron got stuck in rooms with patients asking them to do something they find torturous, and they would have happily switched places with each other.

Great Episode

Author: perry-provost from Canada
2 November 2007

I thought this episode was among the best.

What was clever about it was that in both House's interaction with the raped girl, and Cameron's interaction with the old man, was that they were forced to face the things that they fear the most.

House always wants to stay away from patients and focus purely on science, analysis, and solving the puzzle. He also avoids, at all costs, talking about anything truly personal and dealing with emotional issues. Imagine him then being placed in a room with a victim of rape, which is about as personal and emotional as it gets. House is clearly out of his element. There have been several comments about the woman continually reminding House that she was raped. I think that she was saying that to House when he tried to shift their discussions and fall back into his logic and analysis mode. She kept House in her zone where he was forced to deal with the personal interaction and her emotions.

Cameron has always had an aversion to dealing with death. From early in the series, she would freeze up when dealing with terminal patients. Her character is one of empathy. She can't bring herself to tell someone that they are dying. When the patient is dying, she goes out of her way to make the patient as comfortable as possible (as any doctor would). In this episode, she is confronted with a patient how demands that he be allowed to suffer until he dies. It is a situation where she has to stare a dying man in the face during his last days and he won't allow her to empathize.

Katheryn Winnick should be nominated for an Emmy

Author: Jack Swalley from san diego
2 February 2007

I am a BIG fan of House.

Hugh Laurie is continually more nuanced than any actor on TV.

BUT the the performance of Winnick in her intimate dialogs in this episode with Laurie was more than stunning.

The character of House is completely challenged for the FIRST time.

First by actually feeling embarrassment for a patient who's medical problem includes forcible rape.

Then by caring so much that his made up finesse story is immediately challenged.

Although later it had some teeth.

The House character's success is tied to total insulation of his mind so as to not feel while caring quite brilliantly as a doctor for his patients.

Winnick's Eve indomitable aggressiveness really was the first equal to the House defenses.

She pushed and pushed and pushed through even the viewers' defenses.

This is the what, to the fans of Drama, is called WOW!! WHAT a pleasure!

On a side note: I thoroughly enjoyed the veteran character actor, Geoffrey Lewis, bring us the exquisite pain and sorrow of an old no-name guy letting go.

For fans of this episode you can't miss this YouTube.

You might dissolve into a fetal position when Eve decides to tell House did I.

House faces his own demons through the events surrounding a patient.

Author: agvkrioni from United States
30 January 2007

Faced with the threat of jail, House succumbs to Dr. Cuddy's demands that he spend his days pulling Clinic duty where House then meets a young woman who will only reveal her problems to him. When the woman won't go away, House has no choice to but open up and face his own past demons and try to understand the world a little better. Meanwhile Cameron debates whether she should interfere with a dying man's will to die in pain.

This was a great episode. It was both deep (in a shallow, easy-answer Hollywood way) and revealing about House's character. Though some topics may be uncomfortable for people who have been abused.

Also it should be noted that the writer's give simple answers and flawed arguments using circular reasoning to define House's rationale that God is either evil, or does not exist. For some impressionable to such things, you are urged to search elsewhere (outside of a prime-time television writer's expertise).

A thinking episode.

Author: jgrayson_au from Australia
5 October 2007

This is my favourite episode to date, but I can understand people not liking it. In much the same way as MASH used to have 'funny' episodes and 'serious' episodes, this is very much a serious episode.

**Slight Spoiler ahead** This episode sees house 'treating' a rape victim. I love this episode because it touches the core of modern day medicine. The holistic approach. If someone is physically healthy, is that enough? These days it's not enough to re-attach someone's limb, you need to help them through it too. House has to help her cope, and come to terms with, her rape; and in doing so faces some of his own demons.

Having unfortunately known people to have been raped, I thought Kateryn's portrayal was spot on. Perhaps the only let down was the side story about a dying homeless man, which took emphasis off the main story and removed the flow.

**Spoiler off**

Overall, the episode is a much darker episode due to the nature of the case, may not have as many fans. I've seen some reviews about this being the worst episode ever, and I can understand why they said it, but I still disagree. This is the 'thinking man's' House episode. The medicine this time is psychology, not phsiology. The first episode where house truly heals someone.

one of the best episodes

Author: entropic1 from Hungary
29 September 2007

I've just watched this episode again and then read the other comments, and now I'd like to argue with those who say this was a bad episode because it simplified House's character and explained his whole character away with the childhood abuse story. I think House knows perfectly who he is (and certainly there is a sensitive side to him, too,) only he hides it and the viewers usually only see his cynical, arrogant style, but time after time there are episodes in which he is forced to open up and tell something about himself, and in these occasions he doesn't act as if he should be pitied for his unfortunate experiences,he doesn't whine away- which makes him all the more likable. Just to mention one example, at the very first episode the patient asks him quite rudely how he became crippled and he simply tells her the facts. It is the same with this episode, the rape-victim girl asks him questions and he is forced to tell her something, possibly in order to get rid of her sooner. He remains objective throughout the episode and tells the girl about his abuse as a way of treatment, he sees the girl just as he sees other patients-a nuisance, and even if he opens up to her, he is not interested in her. I think this episode is one of the best in character-development, and I find these soul-searching, argumentative episodes more intriguing than the routine of one patient/episode, because episodes such as this one bring the viewers again one step closer to putting together the whole House-puzzle--and I think the puzzle of his character is much more interesting than any of his patients or colleagues in all the seasons.

shows the diversity of the complicated man and doctor that make up house

Author: shanemick9 from United States
31 May 2009

I enjoyed the episode and the dialog. I think it was very well written. It shows us viewers that House has a side that he constantly struggles to keep hidden; which reveals his true reason for his misery. It is a breakthrough episode which will lead to House showing more humanity as the episodes continue to still knock our socks off of us as highly interested viewers. I hope that the future episodes continue to be as wonderful as this one. I find the complexity of the characters and the complexity of each episode to be very well balanced. I hope David Shore can continue to write more episodes with this terrific balance and also bring in the wonderful guest stars that make this show the highly loved show that it is.