IMDb > Love Happens (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Love Happens

Love Happens More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Not quite what I was expecting

Author: gasawaye from Michigan
16 September 2009

I went to a preview of this movie last night with my husband. I was expecting the standard romantic comedy chick flick. Although there are plenty of funny moments in this movie, it has an emotional depth that is very appealing. It also has another really great performance by Aaron Eckhart, who must be one of the most unappreciated actors in the business. I'm no Jennifer Aniston fan, but I have to admit she's a talented actress and not just a celebrity when I see her in a role like this. Judy Greer and Dan Fogler are great in supporting roles.

It's difficult to say much about the plot without giving most of it away. The script is full of the physco-babble you would expect in a movie about a self help guru; sometimes it comes across as intentionally silly, and sometimes it seems to have real meaning. There are small revelations made all the way through the movie that lead up to the final conclusion.

There is also unexpected eye candy in the form of beautiful floral arrangements that contrast well with the gloomy Seattle weather.

I was afraid my 56-year-old husband would complain about driving 45 minutes to see a movie like this on a week night. But he also enjoyed it, and there were no complaints. Most of the people in the theater also seemed to enjoy it, although I have to admit that they didn't laugh as much as we did. Not a "must see", but if you're looking for some good entertainment, you could do far worse.

Not much happens... not even love

Author: Siamois from Canada
1 January 2010

The premise of this movie held a lot of potential but unfortunately, Love Happens doesn't deliver as... not much happens in this movie.

Aaron Eckhart, who seems to struggle not to be type-casted as your average guy in light romantic stuff plays... Burke, an ordinary dude trying to overcome his wife's passing by becoming a modern-day guru for people who have lost loved ones.

Jennifer Aniston, who basically embraces her career of being typecast as a romantic interest in romantic flick plays herself once again. This time, she goes by the nickname Eloise but she'll still be that same single woman who's had a string of bad relationships and is till looking for "the one".

Director/writer Brandon Camp doesn't give the character of Eloise much substance, and seems content just to let Aniston do her usual work. He seems to have focus mainly (in the script and on screen) on Burke. In the first few minutes, it seems to work; Burke is an interesting character. The self-help speeches are well-written, the pressure on Burke's shoulders is felt.

Unfortunately, much of the movie revolves around the relationship that develops when Burke and Eloise bump into each others and begin to know each others. Their interest for each others is uninteresting and lacks credibility, in part because Eloise is so poorly sketched and also because, as we learn to know Burke's real issues, it just seems... wrong.

And as the film goes on, it just gets worse as it seems Brandon Camp doesn't understand the topic of mourning very well, and also seems to send the message that using people as emotional crutches, getting involved in relationships when you are not fully ready are good things. Many scenes are almost surreal. Releasing domestic pets into the wild, breaking and entering at your former in-laws, lying, magically curing your sense of loss by shopping at Home Depot... I like quirky stuff, but the mix of comedy, romance and the intense drama underneath wasn't done very well.

To top it off, the whole movie is wrapped in a sort of romantic relationship that never happens, and played out with two actors who have little to no chemistry together.

Aaron Eckhart is a gifted actor that should have no problem finding roles, but as far as a lead, he's been slightly unlucky and needs to select projects a bit more carefully or risk being type-casted in that type of flicks much like his co-lead.

For Aniston, this is the latest in a string of duds. As for Brandon Camp, this isn't his first project tackling grief as he wrote the poor Dragonfly (2002) and I shudder when I look at his next project, Steinbeck's Point of View, which also seems to deal with issues of life and death.

I have nothing against writers who focus on certain issues, as long as they master those issues well, which isn't the case for Camp.

Not so bad....

Author: nicki9112 from United States
19 September 2009

Let me start by saying that I did not think I would like this movie, but it exceeded my expectations. I think what I liked the most about it, was it was not your typical romance movie. I had heard before seeing it that it was predictable and just like every other "chick flick" but the truth is... it's really not. This movie had a lot of depth, a lot of touching moments and yes, obviously romance. That being said, this movie was more about finding the good in life and forgetting all of the hurt and heart aches then it was about romance, although that aspect of it is in there too. Aaron Eckhart is impossible not to like and quite the eye candy. This movie also had some great songs in it! Overall, definitely not too bad!

OK but not spectacular

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
21 October 2009

Every now and then, for reasons known only to itself, the movie machine promotes a movie as being one thing when it is actually something very different. Love Happens is a case in point. The trailer sells it as a romantic comedy: it isn't. Sure, there are some smiles during it, but it is actually a light drama dealing with bereavement and grief.

Aaron Eckhart is good in a role which stretches him rather further than usual, and Jennifer Aniston is satisfactory in a part which demands little of her than to look attractive, occasionally pleased and, more often, rather puzzled. Martin Sheen is OK in a role which is deceitfully sold initially as one thing but turns out to be quite another. Judy Greer has a small, but entertaining role.

But pride of place must go to John Carroll Lynch with a strong, sympathetic, and very believable performance in a supporting role.

I enjoyed this movie even though I felt that it was rather glib in the way it dealt with some elements of the story (the resolution of the relationship between Eckhart and Sheen for instance).

Hmmm

Author: Wacky_gal from United States
25 September 2009

Well, I had the choice of seeing this movie and Jennifer's Body.So from word of mouth I decided on viewing Love Happens because well it seemed somewhat interesting.

I haven't seen many of Aaron's films either so I wanted to see how he blended in with Jennifer Aniston.

The movie,yes a romantic one..perhaps and a little comedy,,minimal of a few laughs I found to be a little boring.I thought Aaron did a good job and got into his character,but somehow I lost Jennifer Aniston.I don't know if words can describe how I felt after the movie.I mean it was very touching to see Aaron's character open and tell his feelings and I think most people can relate to that part of the movie.

I thought the movie was OK.I thought Aaron's character was interesting.However,Jennifer's was just blah.

If you are fan of either I am sure you will be more amused than I was.

Pretty insulting and contrived

Author: Monty2 from Texas, USA
19 September 2009

I was fairly surprised at just how unpleasant this movie was. The only things I liked about it were Eckhart, some nice visuals, and the ever so brief cameo of Gaeta from Battlestar Galactica.

About halfway through I started thinking 'this has the most product placements since the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still'. Then they went to Home Depot to 'cure' a guy with a shopping spree. There's hardly any romance in it at all, but a ton of advertising and even a band I never heard of is given a lot of screen time that felt awkward.

Aniston looked either near asleep or downright miserable during almost every scene. There are badly edited scenes like when they see her mother; it had zero point.

I especially recommend that anyone dealing with any real emotional trauma avoid this one. The cheap shots and ridiculously bland advice given will only make someone feel worse.

Incoherent, Flat Waste of Time

Author: Danusha_Goska Save Send Delete
11 October 2009

I read all the bad reviews "Love Happens" received and convinced myself that they were written by cynical, sensation-hungry reviewers who prefer the likes of Anton Chigurh to wholesome romance. Boy, was I wrong. "Love Happens" is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The fault is entirely the script's. "Love Happens" script feels like a rough draft a Hollywood wannabe would hand in at a weekend workshop. "Love Happens" is completely incoherent. It never gels even into, simply, a coherent bad movie. It just careens from a series of aborted attempts to be a tearjerker, a romantic comedy, a trip through Seattle's colorful coffeehouses, and a commentary on advice gurus and their bestsellers.

There are some moments that feel like they might lift this mess off the ground. John Carroll Lynch is both poignant and frightening as a bereaved father who can't get over his son's death. We get to ogle Aaron Eckhart's abs as he broods beside a beautifully lit pool. Jennifer Aniston plays a florist; she reads a series of poignant cards that accompanied bouquets. One character owns a pet sulfur-crested cockatoo, and the bird is very pretty. Really, you grasp at straws trying to find something to enjoy in this movie.

But then the movie decides to do something massively stupid and crude, like set that sulfur-crested cockatoo, a bird from the Australian outback, free in a foggy Pacific Northwest evergreen forest. It would starve in days, everyone in the audience knows that, and you wonder why the characters on screen do not. And you realize how idiotic this movie is.

And what the heck is going on with Jennifer Aniston's character, Eloise? Every moment Aniston was on screen, I was struggling really hard to like or respect her. Her character is unlike any living female I've ever met. She had the polished make-up and hair extensions of a Hollywood power player, but she wore ugly scarves and seemed to completely lack a personality. You can't really do that, Jennifer – you can't be both obvious star and self-effacing girl-next-door.

By the way, Love does not Happen in this movie. Aniston and Eckhart have zero chemistry. Blame the director. In their own ways, both of these actors can be interesting, and had some sparks been struck between them, this could have been a memorable film.

Dull, contrived and mis-sold

Author: twbridle from United Kingdom
9 October 2009

It's difficult for any serious movie-goer to enjoy this movie owing to its sad lack of wit, convincing pathos or engaging characters. In spite of the clear emotional resonance of the subject matter I found myself feeling utterly apathetic about any of the characters or the shallow, boring relationship formed between the two protagonists.

Aaron Eckhart is a sort of self-help guru (admittedly I do think that whole industry is horrifically over-valued and generally feel nothing but contempt for people who charge money for an audience to clap along to their life story... but I digress) who's wife died in a car crash 3 years previously. His main purpose is to help people with the loss of their loved ones except... he is still harbouring a secret pain himself! Gasp! Actually not gasp: yawn.

Jennifer Aniston's character is difficult to describe owing to the crippling lack of depth given to her persona... it's actually very hard to recall a less exciting romantic lead in any film for a long time. Whether the script was inherently poor in this respect or she simply can't be bothered any more, it makes for painful watching.

And the film is woven around her character helping his character to heal from his 'secret pain' while the two faff around on a few dates devoid of chemistry or wittiness. Aside from a couple of giggles this film is not funny and can't be called a Rom-Com... any attempts at wit are very, very underwhelming.

And the ending is dreadful. Just dreadful. The scene in the auditorium where the right character walks in at the right time and then the crowd stand up and slow-clap? Lazy, lazy, lazy writing.

Positives? Eckhart is alright, the film is probably watchable if you lower your standards and expectations a bit. But honestly, this is better avoided.

Loved this movie!

Author: eightyzlady1 from United States
19 September 2009

My daughter and I used our "girls night out" to go see this movie last night. We both loved it. We did have to use tissue for parts of it, but it was still great. Very heartwarming and emotional movie. It is refreshing to go to a movie with your daughter and not have to be embarrassed by lots of sex scenes or foul language. (Even though she is 23, I still don't like watching that stuff in front of her.) This is just a really sweet movie about 2 people finding each other; not expecting to. I thought Jennifer Aniston and Aaron Eckhart both played these characters very well! Martin Sheen is also great in this movie. I would definitely recommend it for anyone to see!

Not comedy, nor really a romance, its a film that will work best if you take it on its own terms

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
20 October 2009

This is an odd little film. More drama with romance than a romance (its not really a romantic comedy). The plot has Aaron Eckhart as a self help guru who is giving a seminar in the home town of his deceased wife. He still hasn't processed his wife's death in a car accident and is uncomfortable by the appearance of his wife's parents. In to the mix comes Jennifer Aniston as a photographer to which he is attracted. Its a touchy feelie weepy of sorts with a dose of romance added. Its not bad but I'm really not sure what I think of it. Its good, but its easy to see why it hasn't found an audience since the title is misleading and its not to "rom com" it was advertised as.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]