IMDb > Shrek the Halls (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Shrek the Halls (TV) More at IMDbPro »

a sigh if relief

Author: Bettlejuice from United States
2 December 2007

I have to say that i was holding my breath when I sat down to watch this. I wanted so much to like it but everything pointed to this being a total disaster. First off Christmas specials are rarely on the caliber of Charlie Brown Christmas and are usually closer to The Star Wars Holiday Special. Add on the fact that the last Shrek movie was nowhere near as good as the first two. Having now seen it I can say that there is hope for the Shrek series yet. Shrek The Halls tells the story of Shrek learning about Christmas. Now that the big green guy has a family, he wants to give them the best Christmas ever, but he doesn't know how. but with the help of donkey and puss in boots and the rest of the gang, he learns in a trial and error type of way that one can only find in a Shrek story. This cute little half an hour special has really restored my faith in both the Shrek series and Christmas specials in general. that may seem way to dramatic but if Shrek the Halls can pull it of then maybe there is hope for the ones yet to come.

A fun time for all

Author: stiv-7 from AB Canada
6 December 2007

This little 22 minute marvel accomplishes what Shrek the Third could not: it is consistently funny and works well on its own. Shrek the Third was mildly amusing, while this is side-splittingly funny. It is also easy for most of the audience to relate to. Everyone has tried to create the perfect Christmas before, and everyone can relate to wanting to have an intimate Christmas with the immediate family. Some have commented that it bears a resemblance to the Star Wars Holiday Special, but I just don't see it. It breezes by without unnecessary musical numbers or "special guest appearances". All in all, an amusing little time-waster, and I hope that future editions of Shrek the Third on DVD come packaged with this as a bonus.

Shrek the Halls may become a holiday classic for a new generation

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
1 December 2007

This Shrek the Halls holiday special can be both frantic and funny and enjoyable and maybe a little exasperating all at the same time and will probably be another classic to be enjoyed for years to come for adults and children and their families in subsequent Decembers to come. Eddie Murphy's Donkey still has that endearingly irritating quality that makes him often the funniest character in this franchise. Mike Myers's Shrek still has that exasperated appeal we can identify with when Donkey almost goes too far in his constant cheeriness. Cameron Diaz' Fiona makes a nice balance for Shrek when he needs cheering up. Antonio Banderas' Puss in Boots is still at his suave and cute best. And the Gingerbread Man's frightening reaction to Santa Claus is a great touch of a twist in this wonderful parody of various animated Christmas specials over the years! So if you thought there weren't any more original holiday shows to be made, Shrek the Halls may slightly change your mind about that.

Great little holiday diversion

Author: smlubecki from Buffalo, New York
29 November 2007

Well it is only obvious why Shrek the third stunk... Dreamworks had this little gem up it's sleeve.

this is what Shrek the third should have been. High on comedy,AWESOME soundtrack and a nice little moral at the end. All the characters were great. And I particularly loved Gingy's Christmas story of horror ( it had me rolling) My only complaint was the length of time. It really could've gone an hour to hour and a half and i wouldn't have complained.

This is a wonderful holiday special that will no doubt be added to our family holiday rotation. And in the plus column it was completely family friendly.

If you have a chance see it. I personally can't wait for the DVD.

Funny and warming – reminded me why I loved the first Shrek film

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 March 2008

For many months Shrek has been ignoring Donkey's excitable babbling about Christmas. However it is only at the very last minute that he learns that this is something special to Fiona and the kids too. Going out in a rush to get things organised, Shrek buys a "how to" book on the perfect Christmas and sets about giving Fiona the perfect family Christmas. Problem is, Donkey has a different understanding of the word "family" than Shrek....

I hadn't seen Shrek The Third when I watched this but when one reviewer mentioned this short film as being the reason they had nothing good left for the film, I thought it was worth twenty or so minutes. And indeed it was as it produced a perfect piece of animated fun for Christmas Eve. The story is about the meaning of Christmas and it has a great moral at the end on how it doesn't have to be perfect because no family is. This worked better for me than the usual sugar coated Christmas ideals that get served up each year but this was a side issue for me as really I was there for the laughs.

Fortunately these are present in spades with the film being consistently funny with a hatful of really good laugh-out-loud moments. The German pigs are a treat and the gingerbread man's horrific experience with Santa is a clever reference as well as being very funny while Donkey of course does his usual fast talking stuff. Shrek and Fiona are, as normal, handed slightly weaker material as they are at the core of the film and thus not able to just drop in for a funny line or strong scene, but they are still fun. My favourite moment was Puss losing himself playing with a bauble ("I have shamed myself") – that had me rolling. The voice work is roundly good and the laughs are reasonably evenly spread out for everyone to get a bite.

Overall then a very funny and warming Christmas animation that demonstrates the sort of touch and humour that made us all love Shrek in the first place.

Didn't get me in the mood

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
10 September 2013

Let me add first that I haven't seen a single one of the Shrek movies in their entirety, although I'm familiar with most of the characters (including Fiona, the Donkey, Puss in Boots) as you just couldn't escape them in pop culture these days. Sadly, watching this 27-minute animated short film, which was released after the third Shrek movie, could not really raise my interest in watching the real movies anytime soon.

We get to see Shrek juggling his babies like Michael Jackson when we find out he's not really common with or interested the whole phenomenon of the Christmas holidays. As his wife thinks otherwise, he goes to a library and finds out what it's all about. After some initial struggles, he decorates the house with his beloved ones and everybody is ready for Christmas Eve. Shrek's attempts to tell the story of Christmas to his kids gets disturbed by the arrival of all his friends willing to spend Christmas at Shrek's place. They each get to tell their very own Christmas story right before chaos ensues and Shrek ends up lit on fire. Shrek, furious by now, throws out everybody, but reconciliation soon happens and Shrek learns about the true spirit of Christmas.

While the story left me rather unattached, I quite liked the animation here. The locations, snowy landscapes and characters all looked beautiful, especially these sugar-sweet little baby-donkeys. I'd recommend it to watch with your kids, not even necessarily during the Christmas days (if you're okay with them witnessing the stone-cold murder of a gingerbread woman), who probably gonna like stuff like a roasted turkey rising and singing "Everybody dance now"a lot, but I don't think it's one of the better animated Christmas tales for grown-ups unless you saw it as a child and built some kind of emotional connection to it.

Great Fun, and some redemption

Author: RAxs
30 November 2007

I have been a long-time Shrek fan. Since basically drooling over the trailer for the first Shrek movie since it was released on the net. It was groundbreaking, and absolutely hilarious that appealed to both children and adults. Shrek 2 came along, kept a lot of the same formula, and again in turn was a very good film. However with the coming of Shrek 3, I was very disappointed. My wife and I hardly laughed at all, and I found the film to be drawn out and boring for the most part.

***Enough of the lead-in*** With Shrek the Halls, comes redemption and hope for the franchise. Yes, this special was short, however in that short amount of time I laughed more than the entire full length of Shrek 3. This wasn't a cheesy made-for-TV video either, the animation is beautiful and the jokes were spot on (the entire Gingerbread man / Santa thing was great). I'm not going to spoil anything away, since there's really not much *to* spoil away, but just know it's fun for the whole family, and for something that you can watch in the comfort of your own home without having to pay for theater admission, how can you pass this up?

Have Some Friends Over for Christmas

Author: Rindiana from Germany
3 January 2011

Mildly amusing Christmas special with the usual quota of moral uplift and some nice jokes here and there.

They could have done a lot more with the Shrek characters and some more adult oriented jokes would've been welcome. Such as it is, too much fartin' doesn't generate too much feelin'.

Okay kiddie fare.

More in the league of Shrek 3 than the two earlier installments. Watch out for the much funnier second television special taking place on Halloween.

5 out of 10 enervating donkeys

Fine but limited TV special

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 August 2014

Shrek is grinch-like ignoring Christmas as the manic Donkey hounds him to prepare. He doesn't care until it's the day before Christmas. Fiona seems to like the idea of a first Christmas with the kids. Shrek is in a rush. Donkey takes the idea of a family Christmas to mean that he should invite everybody to the party. It doesn't turn out well and Shrek kicks everybody out.

It's a little bit of Shrek the Grinch. Some of it works better than others. I love the bit with Gingerbread Man. It just needs something more than getting together for Christmas. Shrek seems set for a poignant take on a Christmas story. It's a little bit rambling and I'm not sure it'll be a Christmas tradition from here on out.

Better than SHREK THE THIRD; in the vein of the original.

Author: ForCenturies from Australia
3 January 2008

This review *may* contain spoilers, please read at your own will.

I absolutely loved this Christmas special. I don't really think it makes much sense in the world of Shrek but it was absolutely hilarious and just plain joyous to watch, and as my review title suggests, a lot better than Shrek the Third.

The first two rocked but the third one felt tired, but Shrek the Halls has injected adrenaline into a classic franchise that has become as funny and as charming as it used to be.

The animation, as always from DreamWorks, is a delight and the acting the animators have put into the characters are great; I loved the scene where Puss is telling the story about Senor Claus and becomes entranced by the ball hanging off the Santa hat.

Which reminds me of how great it is to see Christmas from different perspectives, like Gingy's horrific Christmas nightmare (but hey, that's what you get for being a gingerbread man on Christmas Eve), and I also love how the different perspectives also reiterate the fact Christmas can be celebrated however you want and you don't need to go by the books, both metaphorically and in reality.

All in all, a great family Christmas special to cuddle up to with your family as the rats are roasting and the frog baubles are hanging on the tree stump with dirty laundry hanging on the chimney for ol' Ogre Claus.

A welcome addition to the Shrek family, four stars (out of five)!