IMDb > City Beneath the Sea (1969) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

City Beneath the Sea (TV) More at IMDbPro »

One of The Best Things To Come Out Of 1969

Author: StuOz
21 March 2010

In the future, a city beneath the sea exists complete with a flying "mini-sub", however the commander of the city and the city itself are under threat of being killed.

Before the 1971 Irwin Allen television movie - City Beneath The Sea - came this mini-version of the film, made to get networks interested in making the production in the first place.

I like the 1971 TV movie but I have always been bothered by Robert Colbert's forced acting and the constant bitching about what the commander (Stuart Whitman) did or did'nt do in the past. Thankfully, this mini 1969 version is free of all that and, dare I say it, yes I will, I think I like the mini-version better!

You really have to hand it to producer/writer/director Irwin Allen. Every spoken word in this mini-version is sharp and to the point. Your attention is 100% during every second of it and the stock Lost In Space music is so perfectly matched to what is happening on the screen. Good to see the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Flying Sub but why call it the "mini-sub"?

I would call this the great Irwin mini-movie that nobody got to see until decades after it was made!