IMDb > "The Border" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Border"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Border" More at IMDbPro »

Probably the best Canadian show ever made!!!

Author: (nick.stepchuk@live.ca) from Ottawa, Canada
29 February 2008

I saw the first episode of 'The Border' a few days ago, and about 5 minutes in, I knew that I'd be watching it through to the Series finale.

This is probably the best Canadian show that has ever been made in the history, of history. 'The Border' is 24, CSI, and Law & Order all combined into one non-stop, heart pounding, thriller that leaves you on the edge of your seat the entire time, and once those action packed 55 minutes are up, your left begging for more.

Another thing I really enjoy about this show is how fresh it is seeing Canada on TV instead of yet another American cop drama. The cities are Canadian, The people are Canadian, and watching this, being a Canadian myself, I can almost relate to the characters which makes the show all the more great.

Also, what is really fantastic about this show is hearing Canadian terms like Cabinet Minister, CSIS, and the drinking age of 19 and not 21, orders that come out of Ottawa, not the infamous Washington, and not to forget the oh-so-subtle "eh" every now and then.

So, if your looking for a completely new television experience to get yourself wrapped around every Monday night, and if your tired of the same old boring American cop shows that usually ends up just blending in with every other cop drama on TV by the end of the first season. 'The Border' is the show for you!

One of the best action series out of Canada

Author: clagodna from United States on the shore of Lake St. Clair
8 January 2009

I've watch this from the beginning and enjoyed every episode. This is one of the best series to come out of Canada. They picked the perfect cast. Everyone seems fit into their part just right. I also like that they're treating Mike Kessler's love life in a grown up way. It's nice to see adults act like adults. Nigel Bennet is the perfect bad guy. After seeing him play the hero, Da Vinci, it's definitely an about face for Nicholas Campbell to play such a failure.

The only thing I haven't liked is the story line that's giving Gray Jackson no option but to break the law and become a dirty cop. I've seen it in other programs and I have a hard time believing that someone like that has no other options than to fall in with the bad guys. I hope there's a better reason for what he's been doing when the next season starts.

I absolutely can't wait for the next season. The ending for the second season still has my head spinning. One of the best cliff hangers I've ever seen. I've got my ideas about what happens and I hope I'm right.

very good actors, amazingly exciting series.

Author: noelretz from Netherlands
6 January 2009

When watching this show I was amazed how they can produce a series that looks so "real". The actors are so convincing at it feels like they filmed people who are really doing their job. It is a series that can really give you a feeling that you are watching something that is not based on fiction. There is a perfect balance between action and emotion. It is nice that they did not only focus on actions from the main players, but also on the emotional side. It gives the series a human touch. I would recommend this series to everyone. It is unfortunate that the seasons are only 13 episodes long, but the quality makes up for it. Can't wait till season 3 starts. This is definitely in the same league of "Lost" and "24".

Great Show

Author: ddammer from France
11 April 2008

I agree, quite possibly one of the best TV shows to come out of Canada, along with Intelligence. Very well put together, suspenseful and great to watch. I hope they come out with a DVD box set. Ranks right up there with 24 and others like it. The acting ia great, the characters are great, well thought out story lines, flows well. Only thing I can think of that would make it better is to make full length seasons, 22 episodes rather than 13. If you watch and like this, then get a hold of some copies of Intelligence, there are two seasons of that out there, I think they are on ep 13 of the second one also, which is the last one for the season. Both are great shows, must watch TV for sure.

Good show - why canceled ?

Author: Jo Keely from West Coast, US
14 September 2012

Whoever the idiot was that decided to cancel this series should be on the unemployment line by now. They have the instincts of a gnat.

The final episode of season 3 was a real cliffhanger - especially for those who cared about Jackson and Carver (like me). Also wanted to see more on Agent Bates of MI6, with her special style.

Zoe is one character I won't miss - she was just tiresome with all her little "dramas". But Slade was outstanding and Jonas Chernick did a great job making a 'stereotypical' character interesting and not boring to watch.

The only thing the show was starting to lack was taking advantage of the unique placement - Canada. Would like to have seen more on "life in Canada". Even though they're just north of us, most Americans know little about Canada - this show could have been an opportunity to change that. With all the "noise" in our world today, it takes time to get noticed. The show's producers should have had a little more patience and I predict it would have had a good long run and would have been a hit.

Its a real shame it was canceled.

A Great Drama Series

Author: (sylviastel@aol.com) from United States
2 April 2014

Too bad, there were only 3 seasons about fictional Canada's ICS which handles immigration and customs issues. The drama is well acted and written with a great and talented cast. I loved Jonas Chernick in his role. Catherine Disher is fantastic as "Maggie Norton." The cast also includes the great Nigel Bennett who is in several episodes. The Immigration and Customs Service of Canada sometimes works with investigative authorities to help stop criminal acts. The cast is mixed and diverse in characters. They work well together like a fine oil machine. The drama can be highly dramatic and sometimes light in nature. They handled immigrants who are often illegal possible terrorists or smuggled through like cattle into Canada. I love the filming and usage of Toronto's sights and locations. There were only 3 seasons but they are all worth watching and can see it on American television though late at night by chance. It is worth watching though.

Hilariously bad Canuck imitation of 24

Author: Dave Tedel from N. Calif.
19 January 2014

Since I enjoyed/found amusing "Canadian NYPD Blue" (aka "Da Vinci's Inquest" which the ABC-Disney affiliates play in the middle of the night) I thought I'd give this a try -- what a howler. Can't really say if the actors playing these stressed-out customs agents are to blame when their lines invariably sound like "CSI"/"Criminal Minds" Mad Libs. Every male in the cast spends the whole show on macho posturing with copious pretend-threatening of non-scary hoodlums' lives (exception being the token computer geek whose braggadocio manifests somewhat differently) though the most absurd role by far is the butt-kicking British spy babe. A few characters who aren't government employees are just really dull instead. This being a Toronto setting bureaucratic turf warfare is the #1 plot staple, because apparently these agencies are just too uniformly competitive and efficient for their own good, unlike every other government. Another recurring theme/cliché I picked up is that Mounties are feared + respected worldwide for their elite training and tactical prowess, lol

Totally unrealistic

Author: iamcanadiantoo from Canada
3 February 2008

This is perhaps the most unrealistic series on TV. It's called The Border but filmed totally in Toronto (about an hour from the nearest border). About an 'elite' force called ICS (Immigration and Customs Security). Appears they are trying to match the popular CSI shows but it doesn't work. They're using old Canada Customs symbols on the uniforms. There's one point where a truck is stopped at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie before it goes to the US and there are cars stopped behind the truck while it's inspected. That wouldn't happen. There are situational and factual errors too numerous to mention. The story lines are weak and unimaginative.