IMDb > "Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Guilty Pleasure

Author: loudprincess from United States
15 June 2007

I hate to admit it, but Charm School is one of my guilty pleasures, and I can't get enough! I was a closet devotee of the original Flavor of Love shows, in that "watching an impending train wreck" sort of way, but this one takes the cake. How could one seriously think they could reprogram a bunch of foul-mouthed girls willing to fight at the drop of a hat? At first glance, I thought it was a great joke. Throw a gaggle of girls who've historically not been the best of friends into the same show, and expect them to come out of the series with manners? Oh please.

What I didn't expect was true moments of breakthrough for a few of the girls, especially Becky, AKA Buckwild, and a few of the others.

It's hilarious and genuinely entertaining. Mo'Nique is a riot, and the characters on this show make it well worth the watch!

Sometimes you want to watch a train wreck........

Author: Panamint from United States
12 June 2007

I know this is hard to believe, but Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School is one of the better reality TV shows.

Mo'Nique is a good host for this show. She provides just the right mix of humor, compassion and firmness as Host/Judge.

This show is produced in a clever way, and very well edited as necessary to keep it moving along at a brisk pace. For example, the show about the missing photos of Leilene's family was cleverly done by having us (the audience) know who took them, but host Mo'Nique and the other judges not knowing. Also, a skilled editor worked hard to do the quick, effective editing on this episode. The editing of all the episodes on this series is superior to almost any other reality series I have ever seen.

The contestants are mostly human train wrecks waiting to happen, but are sometimes shown in very human and occasionally even touching situations, in contrast to an action show like "Amazing Race" or "Fear Factor". Of course the purpose is only light entertainment (some of it silly), but the setups for the contestants to compete are really good, and perfect for this show.

Ridiculous and Pathetic!

Author: act123 from pennsylvania, somewhere
14 June 2007

This is the kind of show that would fascinate me if I were more into psychology. It's sort of a combination of a bad 80s cheerleader horror movie, Jenna Jameson flicks, and "Lord of the Flies." These 'reality' shows on VH1 are such a hoot, the way they are filmed and edited is pure genius. Mo'Nique is so funny as the "principal" of Charm School...her incredulous looks, her "stern" comebacks, that evil chuckle. Her cronies, the lady from Ebony and the pageant guy...they're so nasty to these deserving hoochies, and it cracks me up. But the LADIES...oh, the ladies. These women are ruthless, cunning, and completely clueless. It simultaneously amuses and saddens me that there are women out there like them: completely unaware of how to handle themselves in a social situation; relying solely on unflattering Lycra; having complete lack of manners or grace. That's the point of the show, of course. Whether it's all staged or not, I don't care, because it's one of the funniest things on TV.