Add Full Plot
The top 5 reasons Bill Buckner shouldn't be blamed for the Red Sox' loss to the Mets in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.
Best of the Rest:
- missed opportunities (14 LOB)
- Oil Can Boyd's premature celebration
- Shea Stadium scoreboard (flashed 10th inning message "Congratulations Boston Red Sox 1986 World Series Champions")
5. Roger Clemens' exit: There was confusion between Clemens and McNamera to why he left game in the 8th inning.
4. Calvin Schiraldi: The Red Sox reliever faltered in Games 6 and 7.
3. Rich Gedman and Bob Stanley: Their failure to communicate resulted in the wild pitch.
2. Mookie Wilson's speed (he may have beaten Buckner to the bag anyway).
1. John McNamara: The Red Sox manager made several questionable decisions in Games 6 and 7.