IMDb > Shrek Forever After (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shrek Forever After

Shrek Forever After More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Didn't capture the magic of the first two. But better than the 3rd Installment.

Author: The_Fifth_Echo from United States
5 May 2010

I saw "Shrek Forever After" on special screenings and I really hoped it would live up to the first 2 films. But at the end of the day, it wasn't as good or magical. I kind of felt disappointed because even though the Third Installment was bad I was hoping they went back and recognize their mistakes. But this movie does have its strong points, it was quite funny and entertaining. There were moments in there that felt like the first two films, and overall it is a very enjoyable ride that even though it doesn't live quite up to the first two films. It is worth your money just to have fun with it.

7.2/10 I'd recommend people to see this film, but don't go in it with HIGH expectations.

An entertaining diversion, even if the series is no longer magical

Author: Simon_Says_Movies from Toronto, ON, Canada
21 May 2010

After three films of diminishing quality, more than anything, Shrek Forever After begs the obvious question: why? Unfortunately the answer is also all too obvious with the franchise having grossed one billion dollars domestically and oodles more overseas. For what it's worth, this instalment is better than the last but fails to hold a candle to Shrek 2 and pales to the point of apparition when compared to the original.

The characters that populate the "Shrek" universe remain as endearing as ever in principle, but after four movies there is little that can be done to keep them animated, so to speak. That is why it comes as no surprise that the plot of this film has the mythical land of Far Far Away being turned on its head by the devious Rumplestiltskin, morphing all familiarity into a bizzaro world of sort, and I'll admit, it does add an iota of charm to the proceedings. Shrek (Mike Myers) finds himself tired of family life with his ogre wife Fiona (Cameron Diaz) and longs for his bachelor days of terrifying townsfolk and signs a contract with 'Rumple' as he is less than affectionately called. Things don't turn out nearly as he imagined and Shrek must fulfil a loophole in the contract to turn things back to the way they were.

The original gang all return along with Shrek and Fiona. We have the swashbuckling Puss in Boots (Antonio Banderas), the chatty Donkey (Eddie Murphy) and Julie Andrews and John Cleese as the Queen and King respectively. There are also a number of celebrity voice cameos including Larry King and Regis Philbin and all add up to a lively time at the movies. In the movies defence, the lack of freshness never translates to boredom.

The biggest issue with Shrek the Third was the weak attempt to inflate the voice cast, making things more monotonous yet. DreamWorks has clearly learned from this mistake and in addition to tweaking the familiar character's personas in this alternate reality, find a decent villain in Rumplestiltskin (Walt Dohrn) along with great comedians the likes of Craig Robinson and Jane Lynch. The animation is as stellar as ever and it never ceases to amaze how lifelike a film can look that has a talking donkey at its center.

What makes this descendant of Shrek somewhat distinguishable is that it presents itself more as homage then adhering to the spoof ideology that characterized the others. Shrek Forever After is part Aladdin, part Bedazzled and more than a sprinkle of It's a Wonderful Life. There are also many more laughs in this film than the previous, and can often be attributed to site gags sprung from the new universe (an obese Puss in Boots provokes more than a few guffaws).

What everyone has to remember, first and foremost, is that the "Shrek" franchise is meant for children and I don't believe any of the four instalments could disappoint an eight year old. It is the accompanying adults that need to be wary of the growing tedium in the franchise, but thanks to a plethora of talented actors and a significantly more satisfying storyline, Shrek Forever After makes for an entertaining diversion, even if it's no longer magical.

Shrek 4: A Flawed Comedy but a Perfect Final Chapter

Author: raymund salao from Philippines
20 May 2010

When I found out that a fourth Shrek movie was being made, it made me frown because it seemed pretty needless, especially that the last movie was such a bore. But then again, if you take the storyline into consideration, this becomes a fitting final chapter to formally close the Shrek series. The movie is originally entitled SHREK FOREVER AFTER, but in other regions of the world including ours, it is entitled SHREK: THE FINAL CHAPTER, so it's obvious.

First we go to the more unpleasant aspects; this movie works more as a fantasy-adventure movie rather than a comedy. That's because the humor factor of Shrek has gone old already. This movie seems to squeeze the very last drop of what is left of the Shrek series' dried out desert of humor. Sure, it may make us give out a chuckle here, a chuckle there, but this Shrek movie cannot make us laugh out loud anymore. When you look back at its title "Shrek the Final Chapter" you would realize that this movie does seem to apologize with the fact that this'll be the last and probably an admission that they could not squeeze any more decent thing out of the Shrek saga after this one; it's a final effort to make one last buck.

On the other hand, Shrek's main story aspect is a little more interesting than its humor. As I said earlier, this movie is better as a fantasy adventure because we do get to see an alternate reality where Shrek is back into being an outcast Ogre and everybody else who was originally part of his circle of friends has not met him yet. Eventually, they get into an adventure wherein he must face a new enemy, a new problem, and he even gets to meet other ogres and an ogre resistance army that pretty much reminded me of Warcraft (the old-school Warcraft 2 to be exact). In this bizarro world, Donkey has not met him, Puss has become obese, and Fiona is the leader of the Ogre resistance. Shrek must go through this alternate universe and survive it before the day passes and a curse will consume him for good. Shrek gets to have some action with a horde of witches and must face the dragon once again. I could not say that the action was impressive but it has its little cool moments. I particularly loved the chain skull weapons that the witches use.

In addition, this movie works also as a family domestic drama where it maturely deals with the simple family issue of boredom and being sick of how repetitious family life can be. I daresay that the film can work as a satire or perhaps a metaphor that some married men can learn from. There is one sequence in the movie that does capture this crisis; I am talking about the scenes where we see Shrek realize that despite the fact that he does live a happy life, it can get pretty dull and annoying at times, but then again that's life.

Perhaps it becomes boring because many of us choose not to grow up; many of us choose to not let go of what our past lives were. That is what happens to Shrek in this movie. To escape the mediocrity of a family life, he wishes to relive the moments when he was still just a normal ogre again. And because of this, he puts his family life in jeopardy. Shrek 4's tale comes full circle in the sense that it questions if Shrek did have a "happily ever after" ending in the past three movies, and puts one last fantastic circumstance to let him live out a reality that this never happened.

And lastly, Shrek 4's main potential lies in its romance. With an alternate reality story, Shrek faces a Fiona that has never met him. Therefore, Shrek must find out some way to make Fiona fall in love with him all over again. If you ask me, the romantic aspect of this movie is as innovative as the first Shrek movie, in ways that it tells mature subject matter in the guise of fantasy. The Fiona of the alternate reality mirrors the plight of women who gave up on romance, and one scene certainly negates the falsity of most fairy tales with a line that goes something like: "a mere kiss does not solve everything" It negates other fantasies like "Sleeping Beauty" or "Snow White" because it destroys the superficial aspect of those obsolete fairy tales with a more realistic approach, because indeed, a kiss is nothing if there is no true love that goes with it. In my opinion, Shrek 4 succeeds in this aspect.

Shrek may not be the best movie this summer, or it might not be the funniest Shrek movie, but it certainly is one that is very rich story-wise. Just as his line in the first movie went "I have layers" and there certainly are deeper layers to this story rather than one that will just make you laugh. Of course, this works out as a great family movie, but it is certainly perfect for couples, most especially married couples, and parents alike. I give SHREK FOREVER AFTER a.k.a. SHREK: THE FINAL CHAPTER a Matinée rating for single serving; and a Full Price rating for family servings.

Underrated Animation

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10 December 2010

On the day that Shrek rescued the cursed Princess Fiona from the tower where she was kept prisoner of the dragon, her parents King Harold and the Queen were ready to sign a contract with the cunning Rumpelstiltskin delivering the kingdom Far Far Away to him. On the present days, Shrek feels bored with Fiona, his family and friends and near a breakdown, and he misses the years when he was a terrifying ogre. Rumpelstiltskin overhears a discussion between Shrek and Fiona and meets Shrek, offering a deal to make he feels a frightening ogre again. In return, Shrek should deliver one day of his childhood to Rumpelstiltskin. Shrek is lured and Far Far Away is distorted under the reign of the tricky Rumpelstiltskin. Now Shrek misses his family and friends and has to win Fiona's heart again to save Far Far Away, his friends and himself.

I have just watched "Shrek Forever After" and my expectations were very low, based on the IMDb user's rating and a couple of reviews that I had glanced. However I liked this underrated animation a lot, which has a good story with many hilarious moments. Once again, Donkey "steals the movie" and this character has been for years the best role of the wasted Eddy Murphy. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Shrek para Sempre" ("Shrek Forever After")

A Good Fun Fairytale For The Family, and An End To A Saga

Author: jfcthejock from United Kingdom
9 July 2010

Well it was bound to happen, most animation saga's or trilogy's end eventually and some better than others. With Shrek Forever After this is the case, still packed full of gags, funny moments and hilarious one liners its a good end to a fun enjoyable franchise. We all hoped it would also end this way, in a positive way as the last 11 years has been Shrek sequels some better than others. With this final adventure, old characters are reunited and new ones enter the fray.

Plus we also get a fresh new setting for this latest and final tale, some good dialogue too and of course improved animation. Considering this was always gonna go up against Toy Story 3, we knew it would be a close fight for the throne of the summer blockbuster. Otherwise, however Shrek Forever After has done a good job of grabbing it for me until I see Toy Story 3, until then I believe this is the best animation summer blockbuster of the year.

If you want quick gags, laughs and family fun Shrek Forever After is for you and also for fans of the franchise.

A very welcome almost return to form

Author: ungy357 from United States
15 May 2010

It's not really cool to like Dreamworks Animation anymore. Sure, they're not Pixar. Sure, they're too hung up on star power and pop culture references. But I've still enjoyed the majority their films more than I have a lot of what's out there. And I love the first two "Shrek" movies. Their funny, entertaining, terrifically animated, and, too me, some of the best animated love stories that have been made. Most fairy tale romances perpetuate the idea that love is for beautiful people (even the masterpiece "Beauty and the Beast" has it's cake and eats it too on this point), and Princes and Princesses are better than common people. "Shrek"'s idea of finding happiness in who you are was much more palatable to me. i found the first film a delight, and the second even better.

But the third was only okay. The humor wasn't nearly as clever or funny, and the heart just wasn't there like it used to be. "Shrek Forever After" isn't as good as those first two. But it's a big step back in the right direction.

The story begins with Shrek getting used to being a father. He loves Fiona and the kids, but he misses his old life as a menacing ogre. He's seen more as a lovable tourist attraction now, and he doesn't like it. So, he makes a deal with the mysterious Rumpletiltskin (surprisingly NOT voiced by a name actor) to get one day back in his old life. In exchange, he gives up one day from his past. A day from his childhood that he doesn't even remember.

Unfortuntaely, that day turns out to be the day he was born, and this leads to an "It's a Wonderful Life" scenario where Shrek doesn't know Fiona, Donkey, Puss-in-Boots, or any of his friends, and Rumplestiltskin rules the Kingdom with a tiny iron fist. The resulting story is a great deal of fun, with Fiona now a warrior leading an ogre rebellion, the Gingerbread Man fighting as a gladiator against Animal Crackers, and so forth. The humor isn't back to it's highest heights, but there are a good number of genuine laughs. And the heart is back bigtime. I found "Shrek Forever After" surprisingly touching..

Okay, it's not as good as "Toy Story 3" is likely to be, nor is it as good as "How to train your Dragon". but I had a blast with "Shrek Forver After" and can't wait to take my niece and nephew

A return to form to end the franchise

Author: Mark Zutkoff from United States
21 May 2010

Shrek Forever After (and yes, that's the official title as seen in the first real shot of the film) is a welcome return to form after the disappointment of Shrek The Third, which LOOKED beautiful but hit all the wrong notes. This one has recaptured the fun of the franchise while potentially being the darkest one in terms of plot. Alternate universe stories have been done to death, but the appealing nature of so many of the characters makes this one work, as well as the fact that the filmmakers are clearly trying to wrap up the story (which includes a small bit of retconning at the beginning, but it pays off toward the end). The 3D occasionally falls into the trap of throwing things towards the audience, but the characters and sets are so beautifully animated in all dimensions (the textures of Shrek and Donkey, particularly, have improved even on the wonder that was Kung Fu Panda) that the 3D actually adds to the enjoyment. The first two remain the crown jewels of the franchise, but this is a worthy addition and a suitable end to the... well, saga is too strong a word, so storyline will have to do. And the bonus? Eddie Murphy gets to sing SEVERAL songs WITHIN the movie!

Not bad but is not as good as the first two predecessors

Author: petit76 from United States
27 May 2010

Okay, it's not as good as "Toy Story 3" is likely to be, nor is it as good as "How to train your Dragon". but I had a blast with "Shrek Forver After" Evren Buyruk

Nowehere near the level of quality from the first and second films, but entertaining

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
17 July 2010

Almost a decade ago, the film Shrek left many people amazed (including me) with its extraordinary animation and a hilarious parody of some famous fairy-tales (specially the Disney interpretations of them), without neglecting the creation of memorable characters and honest emotions.Shrek 2 was also excellent, but it was a bit below the level from the first film.Then, in 2007, Shrek the Third was a desperate attempt to have the magic from the first two films; the result was mediocre, and a big declination from the first two films.Now, we have Shrek Forever After, and even though it is far from reaching the level from Shrek 1 and 2, it kept me entertained, and I think it represents an improvement on the third film.

What I mostly liked from Shrek Forever After is that screenwriters Josh Klausner and Darren Lemke followed the evolution from Shrek in a natural way.In the first film, we saw the change in Shrek's life when he first fell in love; in the second one, he had to face the responsibilities from adult life; in the third one, he faced the insecurities of the paternity; and now, the ogre feels overwhelmed by the family routine and he misses the liberty from his youth, which is a subject that is a bit more mature to what we are accustomed to see on an animated film.

However, I found various fails in Shrek Forever After, specially in the fact that the screenplay is not very ingenious.Its handling of the humor keeps being based on songs, characters and events from popular culture, but that does not feel as fresh and irreverent as it had felt on the first Shrek; in fact it feels a bit tiring now, because of the large number of animated films which have used that strategy.However, there are good moments of humor in the interaction between the characters; I particularly liked the character of Puss in Boots; most of the laughs I had while watching this movie came from that character.Good work, Antonio Banderas.Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Eddie Murphy, one of my favorite comedians, whose contribution to the other movies had been among the best elements from them.However, I felt his voice acting in Shrek Forever After to be forced and listless.The rest of the cast made a decent work, but nobody particularly stood out.

But the whole experience from Shrek Forever After is not highly memorable, and one of the best things I can say about it is that it avoided to fall into some irritating mistakes from the third film (even though that does not exempt it to have its own fails).However, I think I can recommend Shrek Forever After because it kept me entertained...however, it is very far away from reaching the magic from the first two films.

Entertaining and a great closure to the series

Author: wolfoutlaw
13 July 2010

That is me hoping there won'r be more Shreks. Because this part's story and morals truly made a perfect closure from where and how it all begun in the original "Shrek". Also, I think this part gave a whole new depth and meaning for the theme song "It Is You I Have Loved All Along".

I don't think a 3D version has anything to offer, you might as well watch this in 2D. (But I think the whole 3D thing is pointless anyway. Movies ARE meant to be watched and not "lived". That's why they are movies and not real life experiences. That's why we don't NEED them at our face.) Anyway... This is totally worth the price of the movie theater ticket, if you can look at the film from a little bit new perspective.

I understand why some might think this not as good and magical as some of the earlier parts as this does lack action and fairytale feel, relatively seeing to them, but I don't think this needed any of it, to be as great as they. Because I see this as a closure, which needed to focus on the morals rather than magic and fairytale elements. And the moral of this part, in my opinion, is the deepest and most important of them all. Count your blessings before they're all gone and don't throw them away for something you already chose to give up, because what past choices seem insignificant for the moment, may have make all the difference in the world. This is combined to the lesson of how you should always read any contract before signing it. "You took the day I was born!" "Correction: You GAVE it to me. Since you were never born, you have no wife and no kids. And when this day ends, your life will end." No Shrek movie has ever taken its morals to this utter level and meaning. I find it completely fascinating and extremely well portrayed in the story.

I didn't find the humor remarkably childish or in any way changed seeing to the earlier parts. At least, not during most of the movie.

Also, I don't care if the entertainment relied much on the beloved characters, because the characters were put in completely different situations than they had ever been in, which caused them to have developed some new feelings and characteristics. Especially Fiona, and Puss.

And one of the new characters I find relatively outstanding. Rumplestiltskin. All the other versions I have known, portray him as a rather helpless dwarf, who only pops up here and there and demand a mother to give him her baby, while he perhaps cracks some supposed-to-be-good jokes. But here, they portrayed him as a clever, cunning, bitter, angry fellow with a new obsession and turned him into downright a little sh*t. And the way they had drawn/animated him reflected every bit of that. I think he's a wonderful character in this film.

Perhaps there is less for kids to enjoy than in the earlier parts, but can you even say that any of the Shrek movies have been targeted essentially to kids anyway? I never thought they were.

This fourth Shrek is officially one of the most inspiring movies I've seen for quite a while and does stand strong ground next to earlier parts of the series. Warmly recommendable to a Shrek fan, and to anyone who's out for good entertainment.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]