IMDb > How to Train Your Dragon (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
How to Train Your Dragon

How to Train Your Dragon More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 49: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

By far the best animated film I have ever seen.

Author: thegrim9454 from South Carolina SC.
26 April 2013

Many die hard toy-story fans will hate me for saying it, and while I am a huge fan of Pixar movies, How to Train Your Dragon is the best animated movie I have, and likely will ever see. On the first hand it has a unique story. Of course in the broad sense it is an "underdog gains special powers and triumphs" movie, but it has much more under the surface. The deep emotions between the main character and the dragon are powerful to say the least. The animations are whimsical enough to be enjoyed by children, but many scenes feature elements that knock the breath out of even the most critical viewers.

One of my favorite elements of the movie was the soundtrack, it is literally, unarguably, exceptionally, perfect. The music matches every movement and every emotion. There is one scene in particular that has me holding my breath every time I see it, and the incredible music is what brings it all together.

If you haven't watched How to Train Your Dragon, you are missing out. In summary, I would describe this movie as a beautifully created tale of simple concept, with monumental outcome.

Dreamwork's Best

Author: ChristianUnchained
23 April 2013

How To Train Your Dragon is a genuinely classic animate feature. It is a simple story yet wonderfully told, boasting incredible animation and a sharp and witty script. Characters are memorable and the dragon's designs are ripped straight from a storybook. The whole film is beautiful to look at, but the best scenes are the flights around the island. They are absolutely stunning and look gorgeous. These wide, panning shots will send chills down your spine.

There is something here for everyone, and I hope that there will be more films directed by Chris and Dean. They have created Dreamwork's best and most memorable film (and re-watchable too).

Beautiful, colourful, imaginative, evocative, engaging and heartwarming

Author: Laakbaar from The Netherlands
7 April 2013

After seeing this film three times now (twice in 3D on the silver screen and once on the idiot box), I'm of the opinion that it is a near-perfect masterpiece of modern animation. When this film came out in 2010, I was enraptured and astonished by the beauty and colour of this northern world with its stalwart Viking society and wonderful variety of dragons. Who was responsible for that? Art director Pierre-Olivier Vincent? I'm sure it was a whole team of people. The 3D effects are spectacular. The engaging and heartwarming story (based on a book by Cressida Cowell) hits home for both kids and adults. Hiccup, the little Viking who could, is a great character. Some of it is cliché, but it didn't matter. Yes, I know it's a movie for kids, but there was something clever about it that raised it to a level that adults can appreciate. Kudos to DeBlois, Davies and Sanders for bringing us this imaginative, evocative and, yes, magical film. It's going to be hard to beat this in 2014, but they can certainly count on filling the seats.

Better than Shrek, a must see!

Author: wkornely from United States
16 November 2012

The idea of taking my crazy younger cousins to see an animated dragon movie didn't intrigue me too much. I imagined myself sitting in my seat bored to death, hoping the end could come quicker so I could go be with my friends. Boy was I wrong! I could have stayed after the movie was over for multiple re runs, I loved it so much. It is safe to say that during the car ride home and for several days after I was the loudest and most excited critic of the bunch. Directors Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders did an incredible job of creating an amazing film that follows a typical storyline of a misfit boy that wants to impress his strong willed dad. In the typical storyline the father and son get into some fights, make up and then in the end everyone is happy. Instead of being like all the other films, this film is different because it incorporates incredible animation that interests its whole audience instead of just the younger kids in the theater. How to Train Your Dragon came into theaters March of 2010. In November 2012 I had to go to three different video stores to find a copy of this movie to watch because they were all rented out. Sanders and DeBlois made a masterpiece of a movie, by forming a perfect cast of actors and creating amazing animation for an audience of all ages, even stubborn sixteen year olds. This is a definite blockbuster holiday get together hit! The main character, Hiccup, is played by Jay Baruchel. Hiccup is the misfit, skinny, awkward young boy that can't seem to do anything right to make his father proud until the end of the movie when Hiccup finally proves to his father the way dragons really are. Baruchel was the perfect actor to voice Hiccup because he himself is known for his lankiness and awkward yet endearing characteristics. I went through the list of actors after watching the movie and did research to realize each actor's character virtually represented them in the movie. Not only with their personality but looks as well. Having this representation on screen makes a huge difference for the audience because the voice and appearance of the character look natural. It is also a benefit for the actors themselves because it really makes it easier for them to get into character.

The animation in this movie was produced by DreamWorks Animation Company and they did more than a great job on this film. From the moment the movie started rolling to the last scene before the credits I was in awe of all the depth and angles of the scenery throughout the film. The emotion and feeling put into the characters made this animation amazing. They made the dragons come to life and created them to be absolutely adorable. Especially Toothless, I felt such a connection to him just by his body language and appearance. In a way Toothless represented my younger cousin sitting next to me in the movie theater, I almost felt like I was responsible for Toothless and his safety just as I was for my cousin. When Toothless was trapped by fire and then struggling for survival under water at the end of the movie I found myself clenching my seat and just wanting to scream for Hiccup to go help him! Overall this was a great movie and it surpassed my expectations way more than I ever imagined. I can't wait for How to Train Your Dragon 2 to come out. Thank you to everyone that was involved for making this film and congratulations on doing such a great job!

Simply amazing.

Author: MoonHitler from United Kingdom
27 April 2011

I shall start of by saying that this is my all-time favourite animated, and modern film, and my favourite overall (after The Matrix). If you go to this film expecting childish and simple, you'll be pleasantly surprised - although it originates from a short children's story, the film is incredibly far from this style. Suitable for all ages without being cringeworthy, and with a story that's closer to a humorous drama than a dramatic comedy, this film deviates from Dreamworks' usual style into something, in my personal opinion, much better; the visuals are breathtaking, the dragons are fantastic, the people are believable and the script is amazing. The most amazing part of the movie however, is the music; the tracks themselves are brilliant, and without their presence in the film, it would be lacking in so much emotion. Even more so amazing, is that the music amplifies the emotion in the film without being overly obvious - so much so that it took until the second watching before I realised that the 'forbidden friendship' scene was only as beautiful as it was because of the score. After I left the cinema, I felt so empty that I was drawn to see it again and again, something which no other film so far has done for me.

The best animated movie since Wall-E

Author: pc95 from San Diego
13 February 2011

I remembered hearing my cousin stating how much she enjoyed this movie in the Spring-time upon it's release. Feel sorry I missed it's outing in the theater. It is a gem of a production - better than Toy Story 3 or Despicable Me. "How to Train Your Dragon" captures the magic that any good live-action movie has done in the past with animals. It is masterfully put together with a great balance of humor and adventure. The dragon training scenes and friendship alone is worth watching the movie - the other core characters and story are just "icing on the cake". I just hope they leave it alone for sequels. Great movies do not need them.

Best kids (and not only) movie ever!

Author: anna otinanai from Greece
17 January 2011

I had been wanting to see "How to train your dragon" for a very long time, since i had heard from everyone what a great movie it is. I thought to myself OK a cartoon sure they are great how can this one stand out from the rest though. My expectations were exceeded!! The plot was fantastic, it had just the right amount of action, comedy, suspense, romance. And of course what a better way to say to people that appearances may be misleading than by figuring out that the so called "bad guys" the dragons are actually good. Toothless, the main dragon was amazing! It was a mixture between a cat and a dog and it managed to show how all living creatures have feelings! Sure one might say that we have seen all this before in other films but what makes this one stand out I believe is that it stays true in the concept it wants to exhibit which is the friendship and connection of all living creatures and how love prevails all evil and of course the very strong tool this movie had was that all side plots were limited to the perfect amount not to let the audience go astray from the main theme. Simply fantastic, touching and memorable. This movie is a call to everyone of "how to train directors to make such great films like this one!"

I feel high after watching this, in more than one sense

Author: hazel-752-685975 from United Kingdom
8 January 2011

A brilliant film, even if it's not that true to the book. It's charming, funny, predictable and realistic. An impressive feat for something involving dragons. I want to watch this movie in 4D! Or in a simulator of some form.

Hiccup for starters is awesome, you can't help but laugh at his voice overs and it's clear from the start he seems to be the only viking in the village with any sense. Speaking of the starting, what a scene! It's a brilliant summary of Derk and shows everything in just a few minutes.

Toothless the dragon immediately made me think first of Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch) and then bearded dragons (a cool lizard, look it up on Google images to see what I mean), that reptile and almost alien feel is reflected whenever you see it. Yet it still retains the cuteness of a puppy with it's perky ears and big round eyes. If anything I was disappointed that it wasn't more scary for being the fearsome Night Fury. The animators have done a great job on all of the dragons, I love their specified abilities, the fire effects and just generally how real they seem. From what I've read of the book I now know they even included the points for each dragon quality like top trumps cards as they are displayed in the book.

As for the plot, it couldn't have been more predictable but I do not look at that as a disadvantage. The atmospheric charm of the skies catches you if nothing else does, it is something to look at, not something to be over-analysed (I suppose I'm hardly one to talk). However I do like the slight twist at the end, Hiccup loses his leg! You see characters go in and out of fires, huge explosions and god knows what else in all the cheesy movies (excepting occasional good ones that don't get by on impressive effects) yet they don't lose anything! Maybe a few relatives, but in the really cheesy movies not even that! Hiccup loses his leg. Now that's realistic. Half of the villagers in Derk have a certain lack of limbs, just because he's the hero doesn't excuse him. YAY!

Not What I Was Expecting

Author: SGuy157 from United States
5 January 2011

Knowing that this was a Dreamworks films, I was expecting a movie similar to Shrek or other Dreamworks movies, which in my opinion have only average story lines. But what I got was far greater than what I had expected.

The animation was terrific, the music was great, and I loved the interactions between the main character and his dragon. This film has easily become my favorite Dreamworks animated movie. It is one of the best animated films that i have ever seen.

After seeing this movie, I look forward to what else Dreamworks will give us and will have better expectations for future movies.

It should Win Oscar.

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
2 January 2011

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - CATCH IT This is undoubtedly the best movie so far, Its just Amazing. though through the promos the movie looks One Dimensional like its the same story Dragons destroyed the villages and then One Dragon becomes friend... with the Hero and Blah Blah Blah... But its more then that. Simply Incredible bx they showed us that the Dangerous dragons are friendlier and can be the Cutest creatures on planet. I loved everything about it. I can watch over and Over Again and Can't Waite for the Squeal. :-) Every One should watch it Right Away. I truly hope that this movie win and Oscar for presenting something entirely different and hilarious.