IMDb > "The Penguins of Madagascar" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Penguins of Madagascar"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Penguins of Madagascar" More at IMDbPro »

Great show!

Author: jacorvid from United States
1 May 2009

I am a nanny for two kids so watch a lot of cartoons. The Penguins of Madagascar are the best! The kids watch and I love the humor! I have tried to get my adult friends to watch but they look at me like I am crazy! You should give it a chance, it is great. Kowalski is always coughing up just the right thing and when the skipper talks to his log like star trek it cracks me up. I esp. love King Julien cause he butchers the English language in a very funny way. Love this show!!!! Not just for kids!!! I have started quoting the funniest lines, like "this calls for harsh mocking...mock, mock, mock" If I weren't so old, I could remember some more of these great lines. Check it out no matter how old you are!

Has the potential to become the next Tom&Jerry

Author: Corneliu Dascalu from Romania
1 May 2009

I really think The Penguins and the Lemurs could be remembered in history on the same level with Tom&Jerry. So far, the show shows big promise...

It has all the important ingredients: a never-ending conflict, laughable characters doing the most unlikely things and most important, a real sense of humor.

Looking from this Tom&Jerry perspective, some of the action in the Penguins is similar, especially the "violent" action, but it's so different with different characters and settings.

I love it, and I hope it will keep up like this.

Classic & Entertaining

Author: nyr132639 from India
17 May 2009

This Show is complete in every aspect story line,concept and presentation

Big fan of Madagascar movie(Both Parts),& this is much due to LEGENDARY PENGUINS there are amazing awesome at peak

When i seen that especially a new series coming of penguins of Madagascar i was quite excited and by far this is the best animated comedy show(South Park is Comparable But)This One is New and classic

Basically the show is of 11 min (approx.)but in these 11 min it's a complete entertaining fun ride.

It's totally different from the movie that is the point that makes this show much much entertaining .

King Julien , Maurice & Mort additional package of this show is the major factor of this show success.

ALL IN ALL THIS IS NOT ONLY THE KID SHOW BUT A COMPLETE SHOW

SKIPPER KOWALSKI RICO PRIVATE IS LEGEN WAIT FOR IT............DARY

A Different Kind of Cartoon

Author: ninjangsta
16 February 2010

Penguins of Madagascar is excellently executed. The four penguins, Skipper, Private, Kowalski, and Rico, have unique personalities that never fail to entertain. From serious to innocent, clear to unintelligible, the penguins capture your heart and make you jealous of their mad skills.

Of course, King Julien, his adviser Maurice, and his prop Mort, have also come along for the ride. King Julien is ever the selfish King and party boy. Maurice is still the loyal right-hand man and Mort hasn't given up worshiping the ground King Julien sits, stands, or walks on, and doesn't seem to care when King Julien takes advantage of him or tells him he hates him.

The monkey's are also still around. Just as before, they are a source of intelligence, class, and poo-flinging. The silent one can read and the talker is his translator, and the penguins often go to them for a quick written translation.

These memorable characters from the move Madagascar are joined by many new, just as memorable ones. There's the female otter Marlene, who is a source of sensibility and, as a result, often balances out the penguins when they come up with some of their more unbelievable (or paranoid) ideas. Then there's the kangaroo (Joey?), who is a fantastic boxer and true Australian. He's able to give at least one penguin at a time a hard time. There's also an elephant, who is kind and forgiving, but also easily scared. There's also two gorilla's who can serve as bodyguards and have awesome Brooklyn accents. Put all these animals together with the newest neighbor's and the zoo had definitely turned into a zoo. The newest neighbor's are a bunch of iguana's, who speak with their eyes, and can get down with the lemurs, with their technicolor changing abilities.

Of course, every show has to have its villains, and the main bad guy here is the zookeeper, Alice. She is constantly grumbling and mumbling about animals and suspects that the penguins are more than just regular zoo penguins. She is an obstacle the penguins often have to avoid.

This show is serious and hilarious all at once. It's great for the kid, adult, and secret agent in you. Good for a nice relaxing sit down and to get your mind off other things in your life. Great show for kids (even without the penguin's little moral - and fishy - messages thrown it) and one that adults can enjoy with them.

Usually, I find shows made after movies to be strained and boring, but this one is the exception. It really stands out in a day and age where more and more kid shows are full of toned down and hidden sex jokes or are just teen dramas.

Penguins of Madagascar is a new kind of show and can hopefully pave the way for some more awesome shows to slip onto our TV networks and hearts.

Just love the series

Author: ctyankee1 from United States
28 November 2009

I just love the TV series the animation and the voices that go with the characters are hysterically funny. I especially like King Julian. He has a way of speech that is humorous and he makes up his own words. He praises the Sky Spirit which is really funny. Danny Jacobs does a great job with King Julian's voice.

I thought Sasha Cohen was King Julian in the TV series because Danny Jacobs sounds just like him. The dance movements of King Julian, the facial expressions especially the eyes make him one of the funniest characters in the series.

In one of the TV episodes "Private" got King Julian's dance groove which was really funny and the Private could flap his flippers and do great moves like KJ.

All the characters are unique and have their own thing which is carried over from the movie Madagascar.

To me the best animated movies are the ones with the Penquins of Madagasgar, the TV Series Penguins and also Ice Age 1 and 2.

The voices of Manny and Sloth are my favorite in Ice Age and also the opossums. I don't think anyone can make Sloth funnier, I die laughing just listening to his speech and the way he dramatizes, like laying across the rock on his back.

They all have great animation, funny, silly characters and they basically kept the same or same sounding voices that made the character popular.

All are lots of laughs and fun.

The best since Rocky and Bullwinkle

Author: nabor7 from Texas
22 December 2009

I grew up with Crusader Rabbit and was entering junior high school when Rocky and Bullwinkle first debuted. I honestly believe that "Penguins" is as close to Rocky as you can get as far as the humor is concerned. The humor in Penguins is classic and the I have recorded and watched every episode over and over again. The seriousness by which Kowalski comes up with his plans and "options" is hilarious when we see the final product which could have been drawn by a pre-schooler, or his inventions which are made up of sardine tins, etc. It's this type of humor that makes this so special. They think in adult terms but their actions are purely that of a child. It would eventually get boring without the other animals and the mix is just right for it to be effective. Julien's mastery of the English language is great. I really believe we have all known a Julien in our lives. The one person who knew it all and tried to command all the attention and notoriety while at the same time does not have a clue. Rico is perhaps my favorite character. The episodes with his girlfriend doll are great. My grandkids love "Penguins" and I get a kick out of watching them watch the show because it's obvious we are all getting something different from it. Great work. Keep it up.

Has more potential and humor than any other new nick show

Author: bearfaceproductions from Puerto Rico
14 March 2010

With the Madagscar movie franchise it seems the penguins became very famous. So let's see how a series made especially for them works.

It's hilarious, it's fun, it's entertaining and it has a lot of potential.

I really hope it stays as long as the Spongebob series.

So original, with lovable characters and a good story in each episode.

It's funny when it wants to be, the cast is simply amazing.

At first a show for them didn't seem like such a good idea, but let me tell you that it was the best idea anyone could have had for TV.

Grown-ups give the show a chance kids and adults are bound to have a good time with the penguins. I really hope it stays that good 'cause you can't find any new show as successful as this, these days.

It's a 10 of 10!!!

love skipper and his under-commands

Author: shahryarnwa from United States, minneapolis, mn
8 January 2010

completely excellent, ever since watching Madagascar i started pursuing these penguins, after over and over watching their scenes in the movies,i found out about their tvshow and it really gave me some joy ..i'm so deep in rap music and godfather-deniro type of movies and i respect them more than everyone, and these penguins just like them are a complete combination of good work and pure entertainment...

so give'em a good review...

skipper is my favorite..i just love the way he talks and boss around with the other penguins..you think about their size and the fact that penguins are in a bigger size than these in real life,but a world of imagination can do a lot better,besides they're so cute this way...

Wow, this show is wonderful!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
7 July 2010

Now I will say I like the Madagascar movies, and one of the main reasons are the penguins. When I first heard of The Penguins of Madagascar, I was a little skeptical. Would it have a great concept, but not be funny or entertaining I wondered? After seeing the first episode, I became hooked to this show. It was so much better than my expectations, and I kind of prefer it to the movies. It does have a great concept, but it is not only funny, hilarious more like, but original as well.

The animation is crisp, clean and smooth, with lovely backgrounds and all the characters move convincingly. The music is great, the main theme is truly memorable and the background music is works really well without becoming obtrusive.

Not only that, the stories are very original and exciting, with the odd moral being introduced in a subtle sort of way. And I was so surprised at how much was fitted in in such a short running time without feeling lame, predictable or bloated. The humour also works superbly, not only in the hilarious dialogue but in the clever sight gags, and delivered at breakneck speed.

Then there are the characters, I have always had a love for penguins dating from the countless times I used to watch Pingu as a toddler, and Skipper, Kowalski, Private and Rico are zany characters with unique personalities and priceless actions such as Kowalski talking to his log like Star Trek. Aside from the penguins, my favourite character is King Julien, I just love the way he butchers the English language, and his dance moves and facial expressions. Plus the voice acting is perfect, the voice actors all do a stellar job bringing their characters' personalities across.

Overall, a wonderful show and a huge surprise. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Has potential

Author: zmystico from Louisville, KY
1 April 2009

First off, I was totally stoked when I heard the penguins were getting their own show...until I actually saw it. The selling point to me was I was going to see more of what made me watch the Madagascar movies...THE PENGUINS! For some unknown reason the writers feel the 4 penguins alone are not enough, so they have to have the monkeys (which are cool in moderation), a otter-girl (she's OK), and Julien, Mort and the other marsupial thing (what kills the show). So instead of a show focusing on the antics of 4 penguins, we now have 2 15-min episodes featuring 9 characters, with LOTS of Julien's same "I am king Julien blah blah blah". The show would be A lot better if the just did 1 30-minute cartoon and cut out the unnecessary sidekicks...either let the otter-girl "sidekick" one show, or let the monkeys do it. The marsupials do the same exact thing they did in both movies. I want to see more of the psychotic navy-seal commando penguins, and stop serving them up to Julien.