IMDb > Letters to Juliet (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Absolutely delightful film!

Author: ltoner1 from United States
8 April 2010

I saw this film at an early screening and couldn't have been more delighted. The film is charming, adorable, and sweet with many laughs to be had as well. The message of romantic love being timeless and one that can cross many generations was very well appreciated and felt. The scenery of Italy in the film is gorgeous. There are breathtaking shots that make you want to hop on a plane after the film is over and go there yourself.

It was also truly refreshing to watch a film that I don't believe contained a single cuss word or sexual innuendo. (We need more of these movies). You could see this movie with your teens or your grandmother without the slightest bit of concern about being embarrassed of what might show up on the big screen. You walked out of the theatre feeling happy and remembering your own love story -- or hoping for your own love story to come.

Don't miss this one if you get a chance to see it. You will not be disappointed.

Unexpectedly good

Author: Bruce Jones ( from Southern California
15 May 2010

I had expectations of seeing a nominal quality love story going in. I was pleasantly surprised that this film was a noticeable cut above the average. I enjoyed it a great deal; and judging from the audience, so did everyone else.

A long time ago I realized that the way the best love stories work is to make the audience wish they could be the character on the screen. This movie does this in spades.

The major weight of carrying the film rested squarely on the shoulders of Amanda Seyfried. Other than being very lovely shoulders, she did an excellent job of portraying her character. She has a great range of endearing expressions. I've seen her in a couple of other films that I enjoyed her in, but none better than this; even considering the broader production values of "Mama Mia". She was radiantly beautiful and added just the right note of intelligence, warmth and charm. In one scene where her character described her excellent education, it didn't seem ludicrous coming from her as it has in the past from other actors. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her - and not just because of her radiant beauty either.

The rest of the cast did an admirable job as well. Gael García Bernal did well in his role of Seyfried's distracted workaholic fiancé. Later in the film, the arrival of Christopher Egan as counterpoint to Bernal was handled with better than average skill by Egan. His grandmother, played with subtlety by Vanessa Redgrave, was the focus of the story and has never seemed more sensitive and caring. But hey, fellas, whoever was wrangling the script (Rivera/Sullivan), she wasn't believable saying she was 65 when she's 73. But that was the only off note to me. Finally, Oliver Platt added an enjoyable aside as Seyfried's boss.

Finally, the rest of the productions elements, sets, costumes, locations, etc are all right on the money for the theme and feel of the film; nothing out of place of awkward looking. Excellent entertainment all around.

A beautiful romantic movie..

Author: M V from United States
9 May 2010

Every minute of the film, you know what will happen next. But pathetically and desperately, you will wait. And you want to see it. I wonder, how a romantic heart can understand, wait and cry for that one kiss and one hold of the hand...Tears came and I couldn't stop them. Watched movie with a dancing heart and heavy emotions... It's just another good movie. If you think I said less judge it yourself. You will see it again to feel that wonderful feeling of being alive... If you have such a great heart... I say you must watch. I ended up loving the story. And watched all the women write to Juliet in belief. Call it Santa or Juliet. They know a true feeling finds it way. They ask for it, they wait all their lives just to hear its OK to love. And I want to write letters to those who believe in Juliet.

Wonderful Juliet

Author: bassrourke from Australia
8 May 2010

What a surprise this beautiful and easy going film was. Letters to Juliet is a nice afternoon at the cinema, while doubling as a postcard from Italy. Amanda Seyfried is on a roll, her lovely awareness of roles will propel her into super stardom. As young Sophie, who is engaged to a over zealous chef, her life is changed dramatically when she finds an ancient letter buried in a sacred site in Verona. The home of star-crossed lover Juliet provides serious love aspirations for all who visit. Sophie, a fact checker but would be journalist pursues the writer of the letter, Vanessa Redgrave, then takes off on a road-trip with her grandson in tow to find the lost recipient. The film is lush, sensual on the eyes but light enough to just relax & enjoy. Vanessa Redgrave sparkles and reminded me of Miss Daisy at times. Amanda Seyfried delivers pure delight, her saucer wide eyes had me transfixed. Wonderful.

How do you say, "cheeseball" in Italian?

Author: potato2
18 September 2010

Aspiring writer Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) and her fiancé go to Verona for a pre-wedding/business trip, but he's obsessed with work and leaves poor Sophie to sightsee alone. She visits Juliet's famous house, where for generations lovelorn women have left letters asking for advice in Juliet's brick wall. The locals who answer the letters on Juliet's behalf invite Sophie to join them and her response to a 50-year old letter will change several lives forever.

This has all the makings of a charming chick flick, telling an idealistic love story in a stunningly beautiful place. Verona and the Tuscan countryside are so gorgeous, I was ready to pack my bags and go. Seyfried makes a likable enough heroine but she's paired with wooden Christopher Eagan who lacks depth, looks too young, and is a total cheeseball. The two share no romantic sparks whatsoever.

The movie is saved by Vanessa Redgrave as the woman who wrote the letter decades ago. She's classy, confidant, and doesn't look like she's acting. Her reunited lost love is played perfectly by Franco Nero who commands the screen even though his part is small. (Their obvious chemistry is for real; they were in love in the sixties, parted, and only recently reunited and married - what a good plot for a movie!)

It's a shame the story has such a Disneyish fairy tale-feel to it. One knows immediately everything that will happen and how it will end. It was too unbelievable and silly for me, although I think younger people would like it. Recommended for those who love picturesque Italy.

True Love does not Have Expiration Date

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18 November 2010

In New York, Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) is the efficient event checker of The New Yorker and her fiancé Victor (Gael García Bernal) is an enthusiastic chef that is opening an Italian restaurant of his own. They decide to have a pre-honeymoon traveling to Verona, where Victor will visit his suppliers. Once in Italy, Victor does not give much attention to Sophie, spending his time with the meetings. When he decides to travel to Livorno, Sophie prefers to stay in Verona to sightsee the historical places. She visits the house of Juliet, where tourists leave love letters and she finds a group of women called "secretaries of Juliet" that reply the letters. She joins the group and finds an unanswered letter from 1957 from a British woman named Claire Smith (Vanessa Redgrave) hidden behind a brick and she decides to reply the letter. A couple of days later, the snobbish and skeptic prig Charlie (Christopher Egan) visits the secretaries of Juliet and Sophie leans that he is the grandson of the widow Claire that has just come to Verona to seek out Lorenzo Bartolini after receiving the letter written by Sophie. She meets the old lady and they decide to search her former love together. There are seventy-four Lorenzo Bartolini in Italy, but true love does not have expiration date. Meanwhile the estranged relationship between Sophie and Charlie changes.

"Letters to Juliet" is a delightful romance highly recommended for romantic viewers. I have seen the trailer that is a spoiler indeed and I postponed the DVD to watch it later. But the movie is worth, specially watching the performance of Ms. Vanessa Redgrave, who is still a very elegant and beautiful lady and gives credibility to Claire Smith. The witty and sparkled Amanda Seyfried seems to have fun performing Sophie and Christopher Egan completes the charming young lead couple. For those like me that have never had the chance to visit Italy, the journey of Claire, Sophie and Charlie is an awesome sightseeing in this beautiful country. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Cartas para Julieta" ("Letters to Juliet")

Coulda been a classic, but

Author: TVfan from United States
23 May 2010

Really enjoyed this film. A very good story, that had many good moments, one in particular -- if you've seen the film, you know which one I'm talking about. Redgrave made this film. She is amazing, and she gave the story believability. But the film could have been a classic. Two things got in the way. 1) The story was just a little too light, seems like they were trying too hard to make a romantic comedy, instead of letting it be what it was -- probably the money people were responsibly for that one. 2) The two leads were somewhat unlikable, with zero chemistry. She was OK, but he was a Hugh Grant caricature. The pacing of their relationship was way too fast to be believable. I think this story is good enough to be remade, and I think it should be - with a different Sophie and a different Charlie, and maybe a little (please note I said a "little") more serious tone. Other than Sophie and Charlie, I think the film was very well cast.

Author: chaaa from Ireland
12 July 2010

The problem with gratuitously romantic films is that they often tend to alienate those audience members who have a lick of common sense! While there is nothing wrong with a film wearing its heart on its sleeve, it is quite something else to try to embrace an airy-fairy heroine with no sense of maturity whatsoever.

Sophie (Seyfried) is in her mid-20's, working as a fact-checker for New Yorker magazine, living in Manhattan and engaged to gorgeous, passionate chef, Victor (Bernal). Victor is just weeks away from opening his own restaurant and is unfortunately rather busy in the run-up to his launch. When they go on holiday to Verona he drags her around beautiful vineyards and gourmet food tastings (very difficult to sympathise) and she moans and groans until they decide to do their own thing. Sophie visits Juliet Capulet's house where women flock from all over the world to bring love letters which they leave on the wall outside. The plot thickens when Sophie meets the women who reply to the letters known as the Secretaries of Juliet. She soon joins in and becomes involved in a 50 year-old love story involving an elderly British lady (Redgrave) in search of her true love, much to the chagrin of her snooty grandson (Egan).

The plot is silly, but rather fun. The Tuscan countryside is incredibly beautiful which makes the film pleasant on the eye and the plot moves along at a good pace, never leaving the audience bored. However, it is very difficult to villainise the "unromantic" fiancée who only seeks to live life with his feet on the ground. The term "true love" is tossed around constantly but the fact is Sophie has no concept of working through problems or allowing her partner space during a stressful time. She has no time for his passion for food but gets in a strop when he doesn't listen to her nonsense love stories.

This is a silly, fluffy film with a small amount of charm which comes in the form of the enchanting Amanda Seyfried. Her love interest (Christopher Egan) is thoroughly unlikeable and they certainly don't have enough chemistry to suggest that she should give up her whole life to be with him. However, Vanessa Redgrave's search for her long lost love proves infinitely more affecting, and this part of the story is sweet and seems to have more of a grown-up sensibility. Letters to Juliet will probably delight die-hard romantics but it is difficult not to be annoyed by its simplistic and downright naive view of what "true love" really is?

It's surprisingly a really cute and charming, lovable movie

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
22 May 2010

I have to admit, I was very impressed and surprised with how great Letters to Juliet ended up being and how much I enjoyed it. I was very entertained throughout the entire film with it's interesting story plot and likable characters. Amanda Seyfried plays as a sweet, young, engaged woman named Sophie who finds a note written over 50 years ago by Claire, portrayed by the amazing Vanessa Redgrave, who talks of her one true love Lorenzo, and Sophie replies.

The film starts off strong and doesn't let up. It's brilliantly played out by the actors and actresses and it becomes more entertaining with each second. I loved the whole concept and found myself smiling at so many scenes for how endearing it was. The characters, while not the most excellent characters ever conceived, are very believable and likable to an extent. The actors and actresses make them seem sincere and the directing is good too, as well as the writing.

Really what makes me enjoy this film so much is how entertaining and compelling it ends up being at every turn. I always enjoy Amanda Seyfried's performances and the movie itself is a really adorable and amusing adventure. I laughed, I felt compassion, and I walked out of the theater feeling refreshed and rejuvenated because of how sweet it was and how much it moved me. Really the only downside is that there was a Taylor Swift song used around the end.

While it's certainly not a masterpiece, I praise it for being able to go way past the average "rom com" or "tearjerker" and just be a simply pleasing experience with very fun scenes and a great sense of romance and happiness that I was touched by. It was a job well done, and a breath of fresh air from a lot of trash heaps that are passed off as Romance films nowadays. I suggest anyone who can enjoy this light-hearted, fun and delightful adventure see it right away!

Unexpectedly romantic and touching

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
4 September 2010

This film is about an American woman who goes to a trip with her fiancé to Verona, where she discovers a 50-year-old letter to Juliet.

"Letters to Juliet" is not an ordinary romantic comedy. It has the elements of a successful romantic comedy, but it is so much more than that. Despite the predictable ending, the plot is still engaging and is deeply touching. It shows two women, one longing to find a lost true love, and another that longs to find the true love. Their desire for true love is well portrayed, one can see that they do not just want love, but they want the kind of love that transcends and sublimes. And to wait for 50 years for that adds further emotional depth, making it a tearjerker. I think "Letters to Juliet" should earn its place as a modern day classic romantic comedy, on par with "The Notebook".

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]