IMDb > Saw IV (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saw IV

Saw IV More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 32: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

can it really be over

Author: dromasca from Herzlya, Israel
4 July 2008

It's over when it's over they say, and yet 'Saw _IV' is kind of a proof that a serial killer series may not be over even after the serial killer is dead, and it's not about his childhood and teens age either. This 4th series begins with a gruesome (but what means this term in such a film?) autopsy scene which ends surprisingly with triggering a new plot. The good news is that the plot is really good, has pace, surprises and even some logic. There are of course a lot of graphic torture scenes, violent deaths of all kind and other special effects for the fans of the genre, but the quality of the film lies more in the psychological tension, and surprisingly it works and makes sense - of course if as a viewer you have survive to the final sequences of the film.

The games have just begun.

Author: lastliberal from United States
17 April 2008

I can imagine that we will be watching Saw for a few more years. This episode gave us the back story for Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), and now we can feel a little sympathy for him. After all, he didn't exactly go after the innocent, did he? It was certainly gory and the inventiveness of the traps were still impressive. In addition, there was more story here; more of a psychological thriller.

I imagine that we will see Agent Perez (Athena Karkanis) again, and that is worth waiting for. It will be interesting to see if they can keep coming up with interesting gadgets.

I await the next installment.

My favorite Saw movie so far......

Author: (midget_emma101@hotmail.com) from Australia
5 April 2008

This is the best Saw movie. Thats right it is even better then the original.

We get so much in this installment. We get better and more intense traps. I don't really care for the gore but it was in there. We learn more about Jigsaw's past and his personal life. We also get a little bit of light on some of the past victims.

Now i will talk about the big twist that everyone waits for in the Saw movies. Now this time around the twist is not the most unpredictable thing but it will still make some people say "ohhhh". Don't think that there is a big twist at the end and that is it. We get twists and turns all the way throughout this movie.

The acting is never the best in a Saw movie. But this time it was great. The best yet in a Saw movie.

I do recommend this if you have seen the other Saw movies.

Amazing.....

Author: Andy from India
28 February 2008

To begin with, allow me to clear one thing that might have got other viewer's judgments clouded.. Saw 4 has an entirely different plot keeping in mind the basic behind saw 1 and saw 2..this movie should not be viewed as a part of the saw franchise, rather one should understand what the director has done with this movie.

Darren Lynn Bousman has gone deep into developing the characters in this movie and has done his best to make us understand the plight behind Jigsaw's life, his sole motive behind being so brutal with his tests.

Considering that, the movie has done an excellent job in delivering gore (which i extremely adore) and also an intense storyline where the viewers will have wreck their brains to understand certain stuff..

The only part in the movie that made me go "oh damn!" was the ending, which didn't really sit on the intensity created by the whole movie. It lacked the basic punch on the face ending every other saw sequel provided..but nonetheless its a great movie and i would not think twice before recommending it to people who wants something brutal..

And the franchise disappeared up its own a$$

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
18 February 2008

What started out as a great standalone Indie-movie became an unnecessary trilogy that has now grown into a never-ending and continuously degrading franchise in the vein of "Friday The 13th". It was inevitable that "Saw IV" would become a bad movie. What's interesting is the way in which it fails.

As most fourth parts in a series "Saw IV" doesn't feel fresh anymore. The excitement of the original movie has gone. Whereas other sequels just get shallow, though, the fourth entry in the "Saw"-saga gets caught up in complicated side plots and incomprehensible twists. To understand this movie or even get an idea of what might be going on you have to see its predecessor right before it.

For all its complications, "Saw IV" still doesn't make sense once you comprehend the coherences, though. To continue the series (which, unfortunately, has already been confirmed to go on for at least two more sequels) the writers desperately try to expand Jigsaw's story, invent new connections between characters, disclose motives we haven't heard of before... and it's all too obvious that none of it is plausible. No matter how many secret accomplices Jigsaw is supposed to have had all of a sudden, it still never explains how all the abducting, the planing of traps and the perfect execution of the crimes could have been possible. Maybe that would be forgivable, if the franchise wouldn't be so eager to present everything as flawlessly thought-through. This way the movies seem as if they wanted to be cleverer than they actually are.

Apart from the forced storyline, it's the basic premise of the "Saw"-movies that just doesn't work anymore. It has become as trite as Stevie Wonder-jokes by now. The traps and gruesome deaths, that had a nasty fascinating quality in the first part, are just getting more and more boring. We don't know anything about the characters getting killed and we couldn't care less about them or the "heroes". What makes matters worse are the same old, over-used editing tricks that haven't even looked good in the original movie and are just plain annoying (which also goes for the "artful" transitions between scenes that grace "Saw IV").

Sure, it's remarkable that the producers manage to knock out a new entry in this franchise every year, but none of these movies will stand the test of time. Watching them even now, their flaws and missteps are obvious. They seem rushed and cheaply made. The "Saw"-sequels and, particularly, the fourth part are merely emotionless transfer pictures of a once original and intriguing idea. This hardly comes as a surprise, though, when the commercial appeal of a movie is so calculatedly milked dry as is the case with "Saw".

To be continued...

More like Saw II than Saw III

Author: Bozo
18 February 2008

This movie should have been a direct sequel from Saw II. It seemed like one. This movie was more like the first 2, with fear and confusion being the 2 main components this time rather than just torture. The traps were a lot more clever this time around. The characters were all very well played. And everything was a lot more random in this than in the 3rd, where you know who was gonna make it pretty much. You couldn't tell who was gonna make it and who wasn't, who was part of the game and who wasn't. That was the biggest surprise here, you couldn't tell who was playing the game or who was just a bystander/victim. However, the reason I gave this movie a 7 was because there were elements of Saw III present. Some torture elements and stuff which I wasn't too fond of in Saw III. However, I was looking forward to seeing this in theaters. After missing it the first week and having to sit through the treacherous "30 Days of Night" instead (See my 30 Days of Night comment). Then the next week me and my brother got lucky and got in to see Saw IV. And I wasn't disappointed. Saw IV is more of a movie for Saw fans rather than someone looking for a good scary movie to watch. 7/10 Hopefully Saw V will bring me back to the enjoyment level of Saw and Saw II.

The Jigsaw is Up

Author: coldstick from United States
23 November 2007

If you've finished laughing hysterically at the clever pun I used for the title of this review (you BETTER laugh--I spent all night coming up with it), you probably already know what my take on this movie is going to be. I saw this on Halloween night, and had a crappy Halloween as a result. Anyway you cut it, this story was finished at part 3 (actually part 1, but oh well), and there was no reason to make a Saw IV. Saw IV is easily the worst out of the series. It lacks the suspense and strong characters of the first Saw, the "funhouse" aspect of Saw II, and the gruesome/disturbing, squirm-in-your-chair schtick of Saw III. It simply isn't that thrilling, because there just isn't much more that can be done with this premise. None of the traps are especially creative or bizarre, and the plot is loaded with gigantic holes. The attempted continuity between all the Saw movies also becomes a convoluted mess, here.

If you're a big Saw/horror fan, I would recommend waiting for video (or better yet, until the Sci-Fi channel shows it or something).

Saw 4 opening new holes to continue new Sequels !!

Author: IBRAHIMEX from Cairo, Egypt
23 November 2007

Before anything i am one of the SAW Franchise Fans . And actually the 1st was the best followed by the 3rd . I was dying to see this movie because i am in Egypt & the released date was scheduled on the 30th of January 2008 . But for the best of luck the middle east distributor decided to pre release it on 21st Of November 2007 in order to hit the box office & to avoid any hacked web torrents or Smuggled DVD Screeners. And they were actually right. the cinemas seats here are totally complete . reservations are full that i even reserved for 2 days (yesterday) & (today) .

I watched it yesterday & now i have to see it again for my second ticket reservation which i really regret now !!! In a special interview with Tobin Bell with APTN he announced that the viewers should watch the first 4 or 5 minutes in the movie to know Jigsaw status & what's going on . He was right but he cleverly announced this not to know the status of Jigsaw which we all know . Well can't say in order not to spoil the movie.

The incidents went on cleverly made. Traps were set . Audience were screaming for the most bloody gore scenes that reached the top in the Franchise. But at the same time you are completely confused (why is Jigsaw playing this game when he's dead?)but equivalently the story of how Jigsaw became a serial killer was like a breath comfort taking from the brutal incidents although it appeared to be unconvincing till the moment .

The special appearance of Emmanuelle Vaugier (Adison) from part 2 in the 4th sequel was like a glance of a moment only to be included in the upcoming sequels with the rest of the new cast .

The final parts of the movie weren't surprising & taking like the first 3 but instead it made all the viewers unable to understand what did the film wanted to say . Instead the audience began shouting & quarreling together & asking questions . Even me who loves the Saw movies. I was in a complete mess up . I said after we left the cinema (That this was junk) & they seem to make this 4th sequel for gaining more money & targeting stupid fans only .

But after seconds of entering my car i told my friends (One moment , i now understood what has happened & what the writers have done to play with our minds for the whole movie... Its very smart from those guys to do that .which is the only good point to be added to part 4) What will part 5,6 & 7 have.

I don't know what will actually happen but if continues they must play on a tight line & never try to play this game with viewers by all means .

Saw remains sharp

Author: xredgarnetx from Connecticut
17 November 2007

I never thought I'd see a horror franchise where the sequels hold their own against or even surpass the original. SAW is that singular franchise. And SAW 4 continues that series' suspenseful and sometimes scary tradition. We start off with the autopsy of Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), only to discover the game is still afoot when a tape is found inside of him. As various people continue to fall victim to his awful games, a bunch of detectives and FBI agents try to locate his victims before they die. In particular, they are seeking three detectives who have fallen into his hands. They also interview his ex-wife, thinking she may be involved in some way. And this is a way for the filmmakers to give us, via a series of elaborate flashbacks, the complete story of how John became Jigsaw. Some familiar faces from earlier SAW films are back for that reason. We get to see Jigsaw's first trap, a primitive device that forces its victim to push his face into a cluster of knives in order to free himself. We also get to see a much more elaborate trap involving blocks of ice and a hangman's noose. The gore quotient is high, but the filmmakers occasionally pull the camera away from the worst of it, leaving some of the nastiest coup de grace to our imaginations. The ending is a mind bender for anyone who has closely followed the series. And I should mention that SAW 4 will make little sense to those who have not seen the entire series. Costas Mandylor stars as the main detective on the hunt for Jigsaw. Don Wahlberg, who starred in the last film, has a smaller role this time around as one of the trapped detectives.

Best of Saw series (SPOILERS)

Author: seesawrr from United States
14 November 2007

I'm going to state the obvious as everyone else. I didn't think this series could last this long, but it has. And watching these movies, I'm always blown away with how creative the writers make up these traps and try as hard as they can to create the twists in the movies.

Saw IV is a fun, confusing, and overall great movie. Basically after the 3 years of watching and obsessing over the Saw movies, I automatically know that I wasn't going to understand the movie completely watching it from beginning to end, unless talking about it with my friends afterwards. This movie is hard to explain without spoiling it, but the movie starts off with Jigsaw's autopsy, and sets off the dark mood for the rest of the story. Not even 7 minutes into the movie, you'll realize why they're going to keep doing the sequels (Saw V and Saw VI). Right after, you go into the real story, where Rigg is captured and put into a test to see if he can follow his actual test, or risk his life along with others.

Personally, I felt this movie had a more creative twist to it, since it brings back the past 3 movies, and explains some (but not all) the cliffhangers. The traps are of course gruesome, but not far-fetched like the 3rd one was (don't get me wrong, I liked the 3rd one, but Saw IV made me actually believe the traps were built by him). All the traps had a meaning to them, and each one was actually going along with Jigsaw's "choose your own fate" philosophy. The acting was great. I understood Jigsaw's reasons for the traps for Rigg (SEE WHAT I SEE, FEEL WHAT I FEEL, SAVE AS I SAVE, JUDGE AS I JUDGE). The new characters actually acted great too. I liked how they even went into explaining Jigsaw's past and the REAL reason why he started his work.

The only problems I found was 1. The "twist" in the end. Not as great as Saw II, but it still got me. I saw it coming, but it threw me off near the middle. 2. The random blind/mute trap after the autopsy scene. I get that it shows that "his work will continue" but seriously, it wasn't a good place to put it.

Either way, I loved this movie. I watched Saw IV to follow the series's story, not to criticize it. It seems like everyone's hating on the film because its not "real". Yes some of these traps can't happen in real life, and yes it's almost impossible to swallow a wax tape and still be found whole, and yes there are problems the movie, but big deal. Take Saw IV for what it's supposed to be; a movie, with suspense, gore, and perfect for Halloween.