IMDb > Saw IV (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saw IV

Saw IV More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 32: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The best in the series.

Author: fridaynightdestination from United States
30 November 2010

Saw IV is the 4th out of 7 film in the Saw movie franchise, and it is the best. The two movies before Saw IV were boring, but this movie makes up for that, your on the edge of your seat for the movie as soon as the game stars. The story is great, the characters are great, the Jigsaw flashbacks were great, the traps were great, this movie is just amazing and I have no idea why people think it was the worst. This movie is just pure greatness from start to finish. It is awesome. Also Jigsaw's rule is to put criminals in his traps the people in these traps in Saw IV are the most deserving people. I mean, these dudes really deserve the traps expect the girl in The Hair Trap, way too young to die. Saw IV is simply great and it introduces an awesome new character, Agent Strahmn, who was awesome in this movie, and Jill, well, just watch. Saw IV is a great movie and is the best movie in the series. 8/10

Ingenious climax and more traps.

Author: Hysteria28 from Miami
30 November 2010

Saw 4 adopts a different approach towards the plot that has been witnessed until now. More characters are introduced and the plot becomes more complex in comparison to Saw 3. Darren Lynn Bousman does a commendable job and with this movie and it seems that he was born to make these movies. One will learn that the entire script of the Saw movies 1 to 7 may well have been scripted prior to the production of the second one. This is a good movie but I noticed that the quality began to deteriorate at a small pace. As more detectives and lieutenants are brought in to the picture, the movie starts to become a investigative piece of work. But if given a re watch it can turn out to become a enjoyable experience nonetheless. There are more victims and traps than one can ever imagine. Without these the movie would not stand up in comparison to it's predecessors.

SPOILERS The dead body of jigsaw is discovered by S.W.A.T along with the surgeon, his wife and Amanda. After a autopsy a tape is discovered by lieutenant Hoffman which actually challenges the finder to pursue the truth behind his death. Detective Kerry's hanging dead body is also discovered and two new detectives Straham and Perez are assigned to find the killer. They begin to have doubts that perhaps there is a male accomplice to the jigsaw. A friend of the decease cop Detective Rigg is forced in jigsaw's games and his destination is to discover the location of Detective Matthews (Wahlberg) and Detective Hoffman who have subjected to jigsaw's trap. They will die if Rigg enters there. Meanwhile Jigsaw's ex wife is being interrogated by Straham. A flashback begin to bring to our attention that Jigsaw once had a medical clinic that he ran with his wife and he lost his child. Detective Rigg continues from one lead to another while attempting to save individuals from Jigsaw's traps with unfortunate consequences. In a surprising twist we learn that Hoffman was also a accomplice to Jigsaw and that this scenario was happening simultaneously when he was requiring surgery. END OF SPOILERS

As I stated earlier the movie features more traps than ever imagined. The first scene involving the visually and verbally impaired men was emotional to watch. The writer really put his imagination in to full force. The movie seemed very similar to the sequel in terms the plot attempting to catch Jigsaw. But the similarities end at that point. There is a deeper insight in to jigsaw's past. This contemplated the present story well. It gave more meaning to his character and we learn to understand why his actions. The genuineness of the theme does remain throughout the movie but Jigsaw's presence is not terrifying as it could be. Jigsaw's cop accomplice is the surprise in the twist but this is the ridiculous element of the movie. I did not feel it was required. However it helps to progress the movie on to the fifth installment. The other twist involving the time line was devious and it gave the climax a good feel.

The worst SAW movie ever made

Author: h_wilson92 from New Zealand
6 November 2010

I have seen all 6 SAW movies in chronological order (of course) and this one is by far the worst one! I liked all of the other 5 movies in the series.I rented out this movie for $1.I just kept yawning throughout the movie and couldn't wait for it to finish! I was very disappointed though I am a fan of the SAW movies.It just kept dragging on and off for a long time even though it was only for a hour and a half.I kept asking myself why Jigsaw was still in the movie even though he was dead.At the end I was pretty relieved because I thought the movie was over long last! I am still a fan of SAW and do want to go and see SAW VII.If you are a huge fan of the series then see it and if not don't.SAW V is better than this.

3/10 IS MY RATING

Geeky Randy's summary

Author: Geeky Randy from United States
4 November 2010

John Kramer (Bell) is dead, but Jigsaw is still alive, and Detective Rigg (Bent) is being tested. Did the torture need to continue? No. Fortunately, this outing isn't nearly as big of a waste of time as "Saw III"; in fact, it's actually quite good in comparison to the third installment. The fans will probably love this one. Plenty of twists and interesting traps to go around, plus an interesting backstory with John Kramer and Jill Tuck (Russell). This film has the most returning characters (not counting archive footage) of all seven films. Some plot holes and continuities are patched up--others are created (hint: brother of Mark)--but if you're willing to move on you'll be wonderfully grossed out. Enjoy!

*** (out of four)

An average addition to the series

Author: Dazz Camponi (dudedazzreviews@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
12 October 2010

The games have just begun and the games have gotten slightly more complex as Saw releases yet another movie: Saw IV. The story isn't as clever or as strong as the other movies, this one is a little bit boring but it's still an average addition to the series. Also, it's not friendly to newcomers of the series, people would need to at least watch the third movie before watching this. The characters were written okay and the way Jigsaw set the traps for the main character is a little bit clever but it just doesn't have the same intelligence as the first movie did although it tries to. There's little character development this time round and you aren't really very interested in the main character but more interested in the characters he has to save. The acting is very mediocre, as there were some scenes when the acting was undeniably quite bad but it picked up later on in the movie. However, the best actor in the movie is yet again Tobin Bell as Jigsaw. The direction was average and the writing isn't as good as it was in the first three movies. The special effects were done great and the traps were, yet again, inventive and each trap matched the personality of the person in the trap just like the other movies, which I found clever.

I didn't like this addition as much as I liked the other three and, even though watching Jigsaw's past and explaining why he did the things he did was all good, it just didn't feel the same. The movie didn't actually feel like a Saw movie. It actually felt more like it was supposed to be a television show more than a movie. I also felt it lost that little bit of intelligence and that spark that made the Saw movies great.

Read more reviews at: www.dudedazzmoviereviews.wordpress.com

Saw remains great.

Author: obsessedmovies from United States
15 August 2010

Saw IV is great just like all of the others. It keeps you guessing from beginning to end. It has interesting characters such as Special Agent Strahm, Officer Rigg, and Detective Hoffman. The story is good and keeps you thinking. The traps are OK. I really don't mind because I watch Saw for story, not traps. The acting was good, in particular Lyriq Bent (Rigg) and Scott Patterson (Agent Strahm). They were both great alongside the always great Tobin Bell. Saw IV provides great flashbacks of John before he became Jigsaw. I loved these flashbacks because I felt they were necessary since Jigsaw was killed off in the previous movie. The twists were also good. I really liked them. The only problem I have with this movie is the directing. It felt sloppy and it felt as if director Darren Lynn Bousman wasn't even trying. I did however like the fast pace it had. Overall I think this movie is very underrated, and I liked Saw IV better than than it's predecessor Saw III, and I find it to be just as good as Saw II. Definitely give it a watch, but I warn you. If you haven't seen Saw III yet, you will be extremely confused as to what is happening throughout the movie.

8.5/10.

just a good as the last one

Author: LinkGoku from United States
2 August 2010

wow i decided that i wanted to see all of the SAW movies a while back and I'm glad i did.

this movie isn't as disgusting as the last one though still really painful.

the acting was good again, Tobin Bell was awesome as always, Costas Mandylor turned out to be a good addition to the series, Scott Patterson wasn't exactly award winning but not bad either, Betsy Russell is actually a good actress, and Lyriq Bent exceeded my expectations.

this movie is an example that all movie series' have to get horribly worse.

as always i love the music at the end when things unfold.

so all in all if your i SAW fan like me then you should love this movie.

and thats why i give SAW IV 9/10.

5 star horror, 3 star performances; worth watching.

Author: rickytrapp from Australia
30 June 2010

Saw IV is by far the best sequel in the Saw series. While Saw II & III were sadistic in their violence and storyline, Saw IV is a perfect sequel. You don't expect much, but it surprises you by being quite good. And while the violence is graphic and bloody, its toned down compared to other Saw movies (with the exception of the first) and necessary to the storyline. The performances are quite good for a fourth installment in a horror series; again you don't expect too much, but then you're surprised by how good the actors perform.

Saw IV solid **** out of *****.

Rated R for Graphic Bloody Violence & Language.

Good but the least satisfying of the "Saw" Series so far.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
27 August 2008

Jigsaw/John Kramer (Tobin Bell) is finally killed by one of the people (Angus MacFayden) that Jigsaw set the trap on him with the help of Amanda (Shawnee Smith) but the game isn't over yet. Since Jigsaw might have worked with someone else than Amanda. Now two detectives Hoffman (Costas Mandylor) and Rigg (Lyriq Bent) are trying to stop Jigsaw's latest trips & also Detective Matthews (Donnie Walhberg) might be still alive for all this time.

Directed by Darren Lynn Bousman (Saw 2, Saw 3, Repo!:The Genetic Opera) made an entertaining if complex sequel to the ever popular "Saw" movies. Leigh Whannell, who usually wrote the "Saw" films isn't involved with this one. There's two new screenwriters in this one and you can tell, the screen writing is much different than Whannell's writing. "Saw 4" tries very hard to be unique than the previous pictures and it works at times. There's some new characters, including Kramer's ex-wife! played by Besty Russell (Who was seen briefly in "Saw 3"). This one tries also to fleshed out more Jigsaw/John Kramer's character but now Jigsaw isn't quite interesting anymore sadly. Now Jigsaw/John Kramer's character appears now as a second rate Hannibal Lector/Freddy Krueger!

The R-Rated DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1) transfer and an strong Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Surround Sound. DVD includes the director's video diary, two featurettes, deleted scene and an music video. The Unrated DVD adds two new features:two running commentary tracks by the filmmakers. Still "Saw 4" was an box office hit like the other previous three pictures. Since "Saw 5" is coming out this fall, i only hope that "Saw 5" will be an major improvement over "Saw 4". Die Hard fans of the "Saw" films will enjoy this one best. (*** 1/2 out of *****).

Very clever and hip horror sequel you'll love which will leave you feeling good

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
13 August 2008

SAW IV, in my opinion, is a very clever and hip horror sequel you'll love which will leave you feeling good. The only things about it that made me uneasy, like the first three, were some of the blood and gore. Other than that, I enjoyed it very much. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did an outstanding job. In conclusion, to all you horror film lovers that have not seen this very clever and hip horror sequel you'll love which will leave you feeling good, I highly recommend it! You're in for a good time as well as some pure chills and thrills, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, turn down the lights, lock all your doors and windows, and enjoy!