IMDb > Saw IV (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saw IV

Saw IV More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

More grisly and disturbing stuff.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
15 September 2014

This is the third sequel to the gruesome horror movie Saw, where Jigsaw's deadly game continues despite his death, luring a new set of victims in his trap. FBI agents Strahm and Perez try to sift through Jigsaw's latest remains and investigate his sick legacy. However, things get complicated when SWAT Commander Rigg is abducted and forced to participate in another grisly game to save Eric Matthews' (from the previous film) life.

The story uses the same elements as in the previous three films: mind-playing games, revenge, and people in despair. There is no shortage of blood, gore and graphic scenes. Like the previous movies, this sequel is very disturbing and sadistic, and it offers a bit of a plot twist.

The acting was pretty good, but the rest of the movie's elements is just dark and depressing. I'm still convinced that most movie goers don't find downright sadistic and gross plot elements captivating.

Grade D-

mind-blowing movie

Author: mycon2003 from Egypt
5 June 2014

Look, apart from the last 5 minutes, it was so good, the last 5 minutes were crazy, i was thought to myself "what the f--- is going on here.. like, is that office able to travel into the past, into the future ?" i couldn't really tell anything but after i watched the ending, everything started to become more clear.

i felt bad for the female officer (I forget her name, dammit) i though those puppet were tame and can't hurt a human, they're all the same.. you can't trust any of them, so for a apiece of advice from me to the whole universe, don't trust puppets and dolls (they're evil)

the first scene when that doctor was opening the jigsaw body, yak, that was extremely disgusting and nasty, and kids say they want to be doctors when they grown up, they need to saw this movie (it's a message for all parents, make your own children watch these kind of movies to make them learn about the actual life (just kidding, don't do that ha ha)

OK, it was good after all, i mean the plot, not the gory scenes a lot of people are complaining about the gore, but what's making me interested in saw-movies is the plot.

have to end them soon.

Author: deatman9 from Canada
20 October 2012

As this sequels go on they just get worse and worse and it seems they struggle to come up with new ideas and twists and turns to throw into the plot. The acting seems to get worse and worse but yes still entertaining and shocking thats for sure.

Now Jigsaw and Amanda are dead two FBI profilers are sent to investigate a similar murder. The FBI feels like Jigsaw may have had another accomplice because the murder is identical to the famous jigsaw murders.

This movie was not all bad but it just seemed strained, like they were pulling at straws for ideas. It kind of seems like when they make this many its just a cash grab.

Saw IV (2007)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
14 December 2011

I give the Saw franchise points for consistency. More inventive traps and a further look into the life of Jigsaw further the story. Unfortunately the film still has a lack of a plot, and it is still twisting and turning in an attempt to escape the inevitable. Now we have Bent encouraged to stop wasting his life saving people. Jigsaw's plan seems to be getting more bizarre. Punishing people for trying to save others because it's a waste of his own life? It's a big jump in logic. Gore? Check. Twists? Check. It's nice to see how such events effect even the smallest characters from previous installments and to see some familiar faces in the background. It's certainly one for the fans and isn't trying to convert anyone into enjoying the series.

Better than Saw III

Author: culmo80 from United States
15 March 2008

Alright, I pretty much said "enough" with Saw III, it was getting just plain silly and whereas Saw and Saw II focused more on the plot, Saw III was simply disgusting situations where people are killed...

Saw IV was a little better. It gives much more background into Jigsaw and what drove him insane.

Spoilers below: Basically, these movies are all piling on top of each other. What we see happen in this film pretty much occurs concurrently with Saw III though I don't get why. I think sometimes that these writers get a little too clever and end up writing themselves into nonsense.

Okay, the first Saw was great because nobody saw the ending coming. The second Saw was good because it completely tricked us with the time line of events. Saw III had neither of those and I guess they wanted to return to the intricate plot lines of I and II. Take for instance, how the autopsy of Jigsaw which is shown at the beginning of the film will actually be the opening for Saw V or some such nonsense.

I'm just tired of how the writers simply want another paycheck so they'll intentionally write in "plotholes" or questions unanswered into the plot which they will of course explain in the next film.

Don't get me wrong, it is clever but come on...

Also, where did this Cop come from as the next Jigsaw?? Why??? Yes yes I know, they'll write a whole back story about this for V and VI. And why are they planning a Saw VI??? Come on. Ugh, oh well, I guess Saw is the next "Friday the Thirteenth" and Jigsaw is the next Jason. Guess what, we get to look forward to at least two more films with Jigsaw in it when he was killed in part III, haha. And this is the modern horror genre...

Spoilers end: Okay, the film is entertaining...I'm not going to buy it or probably watch it again but it's worth a watch. You'll be greeted with a gruesome autopsy which is the grossest part of the film. There are some other sick parts as you might expect. But there's no more needless torture and death like in Saw III and some people actually make it out of their traps like in the first Saw films.

It's worth a watch.

Keep it up

Author: kosmasp
24 February 2008

For a horror movie franchise, it is always difficult to keep a level. Or keep the tension and/or the quality of the original. Saw seems to be able to keep it up. The 4th installment (and a sort of ending to a few things, like the director ... he did Saw 2-4, Saw 5 will have a new director) can hold it's own. That doesn't mean you don't have to see the other 3 movies, before you watch this one ... "au contraire" (the opposite is the case)!

The story will keep you guessing where this one is going, with a lot of time "jumping" (you'll be at different points of the Saw time line, so you have to watch carefully). That's what I liked about this. Of course you'll get another set of "machines" or quests that our main character has to go through like in the previous movies and all that mixed together make up for a good movie! (imo)

Round 4 0f (X)

Author: Hollywood_Yoda from Outside Hollywood
23 February 2008

So, we come back for a fourth dose of the Saw series to find that yes, John Kramer is dead. How will the series go on? This is how, Saw IV picks up right after the end of "Saw III" and we find out that Jigsaw has already entrapped more victims (before his death).

We are taken back to before John Kramer went insane; he was married and had a child on the way. But when his wife loses the child, John Kramer loses his mind. We learn why he starts making people choose between life and death, because life is a terrible thing to waste.

"Saw V" is due for release this Halloween, so how will it go? We must watch ahead for the next chapter of John Kramer's insanity; thanking a higher power we are alive! Admittingly, this take on Saw was not as good as its predecessors, but just the same, it was weird. And unlike other horror franchises, the story is still going strong, and the fans love it. Eat your heart out Freddy Krueger (not for real).

So, after all I thought and said, I gave the film an 8. Heres hoping that "Saw V" will be just as good.

Wow!!! The 2nd best of the franchise!!!

Author: Knewsense78 from Mass
23 February 2008

You know, upon first view of SAW IV, I honestly thought that SAW III was better. SAW II to me was good but it just couldn't live up to SAW. I thought SAW III did that rather nicely but SAW IV pulls it off well above the other 2 sequels.

Of course this time around, Jigsaw and his apprentice Amanda are dead. This movie plays with and around that element in a very fun fashion. I enjoyed the majority of the traps in this movie although a couple were to similar.

I especially enjoy the way in which Donnie Wahlberg's character meets his demise. I also like they way the script builds more onto why Jigsaw became the way he did. More of what provoked him to become that way.

This script doesn't have any of the original writers name on it and it doesn't need too. This movie is the second best of the SAW series, enough said!!!

Miraculously, the Saw Franchise Lives On!

Author: Dawn_Of_The_Hippies
6 November 2007

Darren Lynn Bousmann and crew never cease to amaze me. How in the hell did they pulled it off? I have no idea. Obviously they know what they're doing, and the passion they bring to each and every Saw incarnation is evident, because every movie never looses its edge. They keep bringing fresh ideas like it was nothing. Saw fans and hardcore Saw fans will love this one, but people who haven't even seen the second, shouldn't bother.

The fourth sequel in the popular horror franchise is filled with everything we have come to love about it. Horribly inventive torture contraptions, awesome gore, decent acting and above all, a great script. This movie goes even deeper into the mind of Jigsaw, and for the first time, we see his past more clearly.

Special Agents Strahm (Scott Paterson) and Perez (Athena Karkanis), try to figure out jigsaw's next move and also, find a missing teammate. The script is great, but it has some flaws (as in the case with Saw 2 and 3). Agent Rigg as one of the main characters was a bad choice. We never care about him, his motives, compared to the characters in the past; he is one of those badly written characters that the actor portraying him just couldn't get the job done, like Xavier in Saw 2. Another bad choice in the script was the pace that follows after the excellent beginning. It is bland, slowly gaining speed and tension as the film progresses. And also, the death of Jigsaw, what the hell?! It was good to see Tobin in some scenes, but damn I missed him, and I'm sure I am not the only one. Now I have read reviews from fans saying that the ending is really hard to figure out or that it doesn't make sense. Read this carefully: go rent Memento or Irreversible. That is just a "clue" to follow if you didn't 'get' the ending at all.

The gore was very well done. The autopsy was great, Jigsaw's first "official" trap was amazingly good and horribly painful at the same time, and the other torture devices had to be seen to be believed. The special effects crew really outdone themselves with this one.

The acting was, as in the case with all the Saw movies, decent, except for the some standouts. Sadly there are only two standouts in this movie besides Tobin: Scott Paterson and Betsy Russell. Scott just oozes anger and does the character of the 'tough cop' to perfection. And Betsy as Jigsaw's ex-wife is fierce, just see the interrogation sequence and you'll know what I mean. The supporting cast was OK. Past characters return and the new ones are all right. The acting by the tortured was better than Saw 3, except that baldheaded man in the beginning, he just made me laugh. The music is the same, the editing is the same with some notable differences, the photography's the same, you get my drift.

Saw 4 ends with a bang, and introduces a new Jigsaw, and leaves further questions that weren't answered: Amanda's letter, Obi and Cary Elwes. Where the hell is Cary Elwes?! Who knows, but I bet I know who does. The fabulous screen writers. With two more Saw movies being developed, one can ask "Haven't you run out of ideas yet?" Upon seeing Saw 4, I can safely say...maybe. Saw 4 gets 7/10.

Saw fans will love it!

Author: whitey-98 from United States
30 October 2007

The fourth edition to the Saw franchise was not as good as the first two, but definitely better than number three. It had an overall solid plot that was filled with twists and turns as well as lots of blood and guts that made Saw fans fall in love with the franchise. However the ending has me scratching my head a little bit, and without giving anything away I must say I am really struggling to see where they can take the franchise from here. I have to admit I didn't think they could pull off a fourth one that would be any good, but I was wrong! a This movie is a definite welcome into the Saw franchise. Saw fans will love it!