IMDb > The Switch (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Won my heart over!

Author: gack1978 from Chicago
13 March 2011

I have to say I vaguely remembered this movie being in theater but my husband brought it home from the video store he works at, he gets new releases the weekend before so he can review them (fun for us!) I was up for watching it. With a cast of Jennifer Aniston, Juliette Lewis, Jason Bateman, Jeff Goldblum I couldn't say no! The story is different, and yes seems like 'The Back Up Plan' with Jennifer Lopez at times, BUT the quirkiness of 'Wally' made me roll my eyes at his character at first, but then with 'Sebastian' and him together, it just made me love his character even more. A great movie, a lot of funny lines, but in the end it warmed my heart.

A surprisingly enjoyable watch

Author: scattiee-1 from United Kingdom
13 March 2011

Now I'm not a soppy "predictable-and-it-works-out-in-the-end" type of girl, so I watched this film as a bit of a time filler.

Although I wouldn't admit it in public, I really enjoyed this film.

It was a nice feel good film and even though it was obvious what would happen in the end, I enjoyed the snuggly ride there.

The acting was good (very typical Aniston) and it was nice to watch a film I didn't have to think too much about.

All in all a really nice escape for an hour or so and a great hangover cure!

Oh and the little boy is refreshingly cute without making me feel like I've eaten too much candy floss!

Good script, good direction, above average acting

Author: Pragmaticusdielheim from Germany
6 March 2011

Movie/ploy (intellectual entertainment): 7.5 Acting (Lead actors): 7 Plot: above average Plot development: realistic Special mention: the kid! I have enjoyed a lot of movies which were not perfect, mainly due to not so exceptional plot; but managed to entertain me based on the its direction. This one falls in that category. If you watch a movies to get engaged in the plot, enjoy the acting, think a TINY BIT about it later and move on with your life with fresh energy, this is the movie for you. The female lead is playing the subtle feminist (not much by choice) and the male lead is the weird but original self centric guy who like a women with whom he settles to be and friend but does not care much to do anything about it. Until he gets involved by his own past unintentional actions. The remains of the plot you will see in the movie. (guide to my rating: anything above 6 is entertainment)

The Switch; a very positive surprise

Author: flamesnoopy
25 January 2011

When I heard about the plot summary, I didn't actually even want to watch the movie at first. But being a huge fan of Jennifer Aniston, I decided to, and I was definitely glad I did. The cinematography is great, and the performances are excellent.

So, the plot. It doesn't sound good at all, but the viewers are saved by the actual execution of it. Because the execution is good. Starting out, I didn't actually think there was anything going on between the two (Aniston & Bateman), and I didn't really care. I thought they were just friends, which I actually liked. It slowly develops into a lackluster and bad ending, which could have been done dramatically, yet in a way, that would leave the viewer (atleast me) satisfied.

As I said earlier, the performances are great. Jason Bateman throws an excellent effort, and is very likable and believable from start-to-finish. While Aniston pulls out a forgettable performance (nothing like The Good Girl or Derailed), the star of the movie is the kid. The performance he brings is just awesome, emotional, yet realistic. I'm very impressed.

I must say that the movie could have easily been longer for an even better execution of the script, the end is a little rushed, and out of place comparing to the earlier parts of the movie. And I am so disappointed that they ruined the potential of the ending of the film, and just "hollywoodnised" it. Otherwise, the movie could have possibly been on the better side of eight, very close to nine.

7.8 / 10

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
21 January 2011

The Switch

In order to obtain a baby these days, all a childless couple has to do is solicit the rejects from the Teen Mom auditions.

Unfortunately, if you're a single parent, like the one in this comedy, finding the time to harass a 16-year-old for their bastard is tough.

When Kassie's (Jennifer Aniston) maternal clock starts ticking, she must obey.

But since the only man in her life happens to be her neurotic friend Wally (Jason Bateman), she opts for artificial insemination.

However, that doesn't sit well with Wally, who switches the donor's (Patrick Wilson) sperm for his own.

Seven years later, he must atone for his transgression when Kassie and her neurotic son return to NYC.

Focused more on the male lead than the female, The Switch is a guy-friendly romantic- comedy. Unfortunately, its charm lacks stamina.

Furthermore, what guy wouldn't want to leave someone else's sperm behind all the time? (Yellow Light)

Things not to do while drunk in a friends bathroom

Author: thekyles99 from Canada
12 December 2010

Lol I used to be Jason Bateman's character before getting married, used to have a lot of female bff's that only wanted my friendship as i wanted more! Not a bad chick flick, one of the better ones Jen Aniston has done to date. And the more and more i see Jason Bateman he is starting to slowly grow on me. Kassie Larson (Aniston) has decided she wants to have a baby, she doesn't want the hassles of a man as she has her male bff Wally Mars (Jason Bateman) in her life. Unfortunately Wally has hidden life long feelings for Kassie. During the so-called pregnancy party, don't ask, Wally gets really loaded to overcome depression and whilst in the bathroom he has a mishap with her sperm donor's sample and decides to replace it with his own, too drunk to think of all the repercussions this might have in the immediate future. Years down the road unable to remember the night in question he starts to get signs from Kassie's son Sebastian that he is in fact his own. Interesting story that has a good romantic twang to it as well as a father and son story.

Comedy? This is the joke!

Author: Attila Monori from Hungary
29 June 2011

I've read a few review here and into the evaluation, I must say, the world is interesting. Full of people who will see the artistic value of an otherwise easy fun movie. And this is what I do not know, why?. This is a tailless unlucky guy and as the years while not able to lay the beloved girl, however, is wit that (beating out) replace the semen insemination (Implantation) before. Of course he can't remember, and after many years of each other found in the family. Approximately ten years after it comes time to untie the knot on the tail and if the child is already theirs, you can have sex. The entire film is processed by the deplorable situation in which a real jerk, rather than do the children as needed, then watch the nights when he cry, take it to playground, hiking, etc.. Instead, he lives his life, and when the girl is in the 7 years old boy, they find each other, as if he had come to the time ... not 8 years ago ... I take 5 point place of the currently viewed categories, but this was the past year most painful comedy for me.

Wrongly marketted and a good misfire

Author: pepe4u22 from Canada
28 February 2011

This is a movie that is advertised as a com-rom but really it is a vechile for Jason Bateman..He plays at the start a neurotic pal who loves his pal played by jennifer aniston. Well at start his neurotic behaviour primed the humor with jennifer being along for the ride. Jennifer's character decides she wants to have a baby and finds a donor. She has a party thrown for this and we meet the donor a associate professor. well jason's character gets drunk and guess what he does gosh would have never seen that happen. We jennifer's character moves away and he is sad cliché, cliché. She comes back and involves him in her life with her son but somehow his neurotic behaviour has gone and been transferred to the son. well we get the bonding of the two while jennifer is clueless and then she starts a relationship with the sperm donor. while using wally ( jason's character) like a doormat basically. Then of course we get the moment where he admits his love cliché, cliché , cliché. The problem i had was the script which was clichéd way too much and Jennifer Aniston who seemed to mail it in. Jason Bateman was exceptionally good ala the Hugh Grant character in many ways from About A Boy but Jason has to carry too much dead weight heaped upon him dragging down the movie...Some good moments but clichéd and not much of a com-rom as the humor left when the small boy came aboard.

surprised by reader rating on this movie

Author: tdunl1 from United States
7 February 2011

This movie would go into the Rom-Com category but it verges more on the romantic drama side of things, and is about Jason Bateman's character over coming commitment issues. Plain and simple.

It's not about Jennifer Aniston's character. Her part isn't very dimensional. It's about Batmen's character and he does a good job acting the part out.

I really liked this movie. I thought it was understated, mature, and depicted a modern family very well. The kid was adorable. I really felt like Aniston and Bateman were in love with each other, and I'm kind of bothered by the fact that this movie got a 5.9 star rating from IMDb.com I think people were expecting it to be a comedic, happy, fluffy rom-com and, to my delight, it wasn't. It was a nice character study on a self-righteous germaphobe, who realizes after playing the part of a father that he loves Aniston and her/his son and wants a family. He realizes that his need to be responsible for himself is greater than his fear of being close to people.

Transcendently written date flick; underrated

Author: rzajac from Taichung, Taiwan
26 March 2011

The most important thing about The Switch is that the writing is great.

Yeah, it's a date flick. Yeah, it's a "chick flick". But The Switch just might have the power to redeem these rightfully slighted genres by having writing with a consistency of tone, poised delicately on the tightwire between cheekiness and trenchancy. I laughed A LOT watching this movie.

Inconsistency of tone may be the most serious problem afflicting relationship flicks. That's why it was surprising to find The Switch to be not so afflicted. I suspect that the producers let this slide--weren't afraid the fine writing would alienate persons of average-or-below intelligence--because the film progresses nicely to a predictable, and desirable (for the genre) outcome; it was sure not to harsh the mellows of the date flick demographic.

And a flick like this needs a saving grace. If you pay close attention, the writing in The Switch makes the narrative journey pay off.

And, of course, this is not to slight other production requisites that deliver that writing into our laps. The acting, directing, editing, and so much else guides the solid narrative home.

Guys: If you generally feel date flicks are beneath the honor of your cinematic attentions, but have a sweetheart who likes to occasionally check one out; this is about as safe a bet as you're going to find in chick flick wasteland. Check it out.

Page 9 of 12: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]