IMDb > The Switch (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Switch

The Switch More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Rom-com of the awful variety

Author: attilabarbarian from Canada
22 August 2010

Teaming Jason Bateman with Jennifer Anniston was an awful,casting, mistake .Zero chemistry . Was it not obvious at rehearsals ? Bateman has true comic timing and a expressive phisog (face) .Anniston is her typical blank slate .All Rachel all the time . "I'm not pessimistic, I'm a realist."spouts Wally. Scintillating dialogue does not abound . Turkey baster jokes should have been flying left and right .They weren't. Sperm confetti was flying,left and right, at the sperm donation party . Blasting Madonna's Papa don't Preach to underscore the naughty nature of this film was another huge mistake . Cornball, clichéd scenes are on full display . Jeff Goldblum runs away with this movie . As Leonard Wally's sidekick . His few scenes are hilarious .

Predictable

Author: Jair Zammit from Malta
17 October 2010

This movie was revealed from the starting minutes and could figure out the ending even by watching its trailer or its poster. This movie has a typical ending to a never ending list in love stories with a slight variation on the plot. The actors played quite well but could not help to make this movie better because it is so ordinary and repetitive that it is not worth your money nor your time. This movie might be entertaining for those who have not seen so many romantic movies or maybe for those who can't get enough of these types of movies although you might also find it dull and not entertaining. As i said the movie's ending was predictable from the start and the only thing they did was prolong the ending and thus making very predictable...

Just another stupid movie based on the big names Thumbs down!

Author: drklabs from Greece
21 October 2010

Awful disgusting not a comedy just another fast forwarding movie of this year.Those actors really have greater possibilities but i cant understand whats going wrong , stupid plots stupid acting and people that give money for this ? Stay away there's nothing more to say about this bellow mediocre movie but i m forced to write something to fulfill the ten lines .Jennifer Aniston is sexy i know but thats all you will not find any good acting here try elsewhere. Also from the middle of the movie it started to be really boring ... This is a movie not for the kids also not for the adults i really don't know to which category to place this movie romantic with this all semen flawing everywhere? family with semen donors and orgy parties? or sociable with two lonely people playing in the whole movie without a single kiss? If you don't believe me go have a look for your self really boring ,the only reason that i believe someone will go see this movie is to see Jennifer Aniston's face nothing more because it is portrayed in the whole movie.The risk is yours.Also the silly acting of Aniston started to be boring Miss Aniston go find another job you don't convince anymore to take our money, me personally i was a fan of you and now i don't give a penny for you anymore

Foreseeable

Author: Lola A from United Kingdom
6 July 2016

You can tell everything about this move just by watching the trailer. There is nothing surprising that wouldn't be expected from this movie.

The story movies slow and at times I got bored and kept looking how long it still got. Not a very exciting movie I'd say.

It has its good parts though. The acting to start with is great however, Wally Mars was a typical Jason Bateman character. Jennifer Aniston as always very convincing and adorable.

I liked that the movie tried to send the message that life i not a race and that good things will happen to you when they are supposed to.

What I also got was that good and comfortable relationships don't happen over night. Time is needed to nourish the connections and relationships you have with people.

A mature take on romance

Author: Maddie1003 Cinephile from India
9 June 2016

Kassie Larson(Jennifer Aniston)is a 40 year old successful woman who has been unlucky in love, decides to get pregnant through artificial insemination.Although her best friend Wally Mars(Jason Bateman) vehemently denies her choice, whom she confides everything she goes ahead with it anyway. Roland(Patrick Wilson) decides to be the donor for some money. Seven years later, Wally meets Kassie with her son Sebastian, who resembles surprisingly like him.

This film has a refreshing take on romance. Hence the situations, and the decisions are not childlike but mature. I liked Wally's sharp, practical and sarcastic view on things. What was more likable was the warm and tender relationship between Sebastian and Wally.He was the highlight of the entire film. His sharp mind provided some witty gags. And what would life be without friends, who advise and guide our choices every time? Here, they play an important role.

All in all, an unexpectedly satisfying mature romantic comedy.

Really sweet underrated film

Author: CassC0821 from United States
25 May 2016

I don't know why this movie doesn't have better reviews. I really don't understand what critics want because sometimes they can be totally wrong about a movie, and this is one of them. I loved this movie, not an Oscar winner but sometimes it's nice to watch a funny, silly, light-hearted fluff movie every once in a while. Jason Bateman is really funny and endearing. Jeff Goldblum is hysterical as always, steals every scene he's in. the chemistry between Bateman and Aniston was great, also between Bateman and the child actor. Juliette Lewis was a nice addition as well. I would definitely watch this again. I had a good bunch of laughs through the whole film.

A roller coaster

Author: Davis P from United States
23 May 2016

The Switch, starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman is somewhat different than what I expected to see. I expected this laugh out loud comedy, but being perfectly honest, it is a drama. It starts out a bit slow to be honest, but it does kinda start to speed up once the insemination happens, wow never thought I'd say that in a film review lol. Jennifer Aniston is lovely and charming as ever, no shock there. Jason Bateman did kinda get on my nerves in the beginning, just his pessimistic and borderline jerkish attitude really turned me off. Years later, when this son Aniston has had from the insemination is about 7, they move back to New York City and that's when our movie really starts to take off, we'll sort of anyway. This film really isn't too concerned in being fast paced, it's kinda slow, and the slower pace works at certain times, but then doesn't at others. And Patrick Wilson gave a good performance, I thought he achieved what he was going for with his character. Juliette Lewis is pretty good as well, she isn't present a whole whole lot in the movie, but she carries her scenes well with her fun energy. I enjoyed some of the movies sweet warm hearted moments, but overall, I have seen better, and there were too many instances in which I was just plain bored, so The Switch will be receiving a 6/10 from me.

Expected it to be funnier

Author: Ole Sandbaek Joergensen from Denmark
5 January 2016

After reading the synopsis and a few reviews of this one, I had expected it to be funnier, it still has some funny scenes, but mostly it's serious with a twist of dry/subtle humor. I must say I did like it very much nevertheless, something about

Batemans character just makes it good and worth watching, he is very easy going, kind of boring, but it just works for him. Jennifer delivers a good performance that keeps it on the not so down low side, her character has some issues, but is not flaunting them, and some very protective side both for her self and her son. Speaking of the son, it's really great work by this kid, he really is a look-a-like of his "dad" and really perform and acts the character very well. The two bi-characters played by lewis and Goldblum have their special moments as well, but they are bi-characters and keeps to the background, but steps up to the plate from time to time.

It's hard to explain what makes this movie for me, but I just liked it, it was a quiet time in front of the TV, and a good time with this hour and 40 minutes flick.

WOW...Loved it!

Author: tsh85 from United States
3 January 2016

I was not expecting to like this show very much, but it literally blew me away. This child actor who plays Sebastian is phenomenal, and absolutely adorable. At his age, his acting skills just blew me away. Jennifer Aniston plays her usual quirky self, but she was really great, and very classy. Jason Bateman was fantastic, and I loved everything about his character. This movie made me laugh and cry. The bond between Bateman and Sebastian was beautiful. Every actor in this movie was great, including Juliette Lewis and Jeff Goldblum, who co-star. Trust me, you will enjoy this movie, even if you don't normally watch these types of movies.

Mediocre man makes good against all odds...

Author: evehands from United States
2 September 2015

- yet another attempt in what seems like a recent (i.e. over the past 10 years or so) relentless trend trying to placate, pacify and assure Mr. Average (& in the audience!) Dude that he CAN Have It All, just by Being Himself - as personified by the main character's pathetic excuse for a modern man (played by Jason Bateman - himself an average & average looking actor); when Oh When will this trend run its course, PLEASE?!? Because it's simply ludicrous & borderline insulting to an audience to show some Story about how an urban mediocre modern man (written deliberately in lower casing, please-to- note!) eventually and with an absolute minimum of effort gets a wife as depicted by Jennifer Aniston, i.e. fantastic looking (replete with golden tan despite living & working in NYC), well-groomed, smart, sweet-natured, yet somehow with a great/dream job which ALSO pulls down a well-above average salary! PLUS this lucky dude gets to miss out on all the awkwardly tricky becoming-a-father stuff, e.g. a pregnant mate going through mood and body swings, post-natally disinterested in sex, years of changing diapers, months of sleepless nights due to a screaming and/or teething baby, 'terrible toddler' tantrums, etc! HOW lucky is HE?! WHAT exactly did this amazing (apparently/evidently!) tho' average dude DO to deserve or just plain GET such ABOVE- average Good Fortune? Errr…exactly NOTHING. Nope. Nada/Nichts/Niente; he just bungled along in his boring sweaters and pessimistic (which predictably, he calls 'realistic') 'tudes & views, marginally amusing and somewhat smart, holding down a good job where his significantly older, more charismatic, more confident and/or worldly buddy uselessly counsels him - because Mediocre Man (ok so we'll allow an upper case when paired with the former since it now fits!) is impervious to changing his way of Being, because (presumably) he has some stubborn sense (judging by the dull narrative over the whole movie) that SOMEHOW, Things Will Go HIS Way, if he just sticks to being himself long enough… !?! There are no breakthroughs of insight, no therapy (for his abandonment issues - which surely would've been re-triggered when the (undeclared) Love of his Life leaves NYC for her native Minnesota?), precious little character development beyond an upgrade in wardrobe (from sweaters to natty shirts & jackets) and hesitant stepping/dragging into latently desired fatherhood - as would surely ANY guy in his 30s, in love with the mother and besieged with the attentions of an adorable 5 (nearly 6!) year old boy who so evidently resembles himself WOULD (@ any rate, I'd defy almost any guy NOT to respond/develop such feelings under such circumstances, so there's nothing special about Mr. Average doing so!). Somehow - because Someone Up There Loves him?! (unspecified; this is NOT a movie about Faith, only dogged faith in Self, for no special reason) - without being especially attractive, charismatic, charming, witty, smart, energetic, forthcoming or overtly loving, and despite being emotionally reserved/intimacy-inaccessible, reticent in actions, deeds & words, and repeatedly missing out on every single God-given opportunity to declare his love for this gorgeous catch-of-a-future-wife woman, and ruining her chance with another eligible, exciting, energetic, great-looking and openly loving man who seems to excel at several things (notably, a Carpe Diem 'tude!) - unlike him - in an outrageously rude, selfish and completely inconsiderate and long overdue outburst of self- expressing during an important gathering/party of her friends and future family and in front of said adorable child whom he accidentally fathered, who has been practically begging for him to BE his Dad, but whom he has thus far entirely denied that explanation & reassurance due to his own inexplicable & inexcusable timidity, he IS excused (eventually) - without offered apology, apparently!?! - and skips even the most basic bare-bones effort of declaration of his feelings, proposal of marriage, offering of a ring - in short, ANY situation which risks rejection - which is all part of what makes a man & defines ANY one's character, man or woman - and by a modicum of dependability (as a friend) plus sheer fantastic luck likewise entirely inexplicable, leaves ALL the proactive Doing to the woman…when in real life she would be (rightly!) seething with resentment, sense of rejection, unappreciation, and - last but not least! - anger over having been duped! It's absurd, ridiculous, and offensive to expect us to believe such scenarios are likely in life, and a subtle endorsement of everything which is wrong with modern western urban men who wimp their way through every situation and relationship while women in the modern urban West struggle to straddle some unspecified and unstraddalable(!) gap between being both a woman AND a man…because modern men don't/won't do the work of BEING Men, and want their female mates to figure it all out for them…while grumbling about being emasculated by women who want It All: Yeuch! A firm thumbs down all around except for the adorable child who sadly still has no sufficient role model for manhood, and is well on track for roundly resenting his too-capable mother for 'smothering' him, i.e. for being significantly and obviously superior to his father from almost every standpoint! Roll on the 22nd century and robots mates/men and basting sticks & anonymous semen & artificial insemination all around! Surely no worse a travesty than what was represented here in 21st century's mutual mates of flesh & blood..? !

Page 4 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]