IMDb > The Switch (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Switch

The Switch More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Terrible movie, can't even be saved by that awesome kid.

Author: nikkidynamo from Australia
10 November 2010

Overall this was a terrible movie. Let me start by saying that I didn't know anything about the movie before I saw it, I hadn't even seen the poster and had no idea what the 'switch' referred to until it happened.

In the beginning stages of the movie I thought it would be okay, an interesting feminist representation of women taking an alternative route to fertility and their own goals and dreams. A light look at a non-traditional family set up (I didn't think she would move away). I realise now that expecting Jennifer Aniston to be a part of a feminist anti heteronormal movie was asking a bit much (I thought Wally was gay and would help her raise her kid!).

Anyway, so then things started to go downhill. For starters any respectable Feminist movie would not include such a blatant violation of a woman, no matter how mainstream it is trying to be. Seriously, the actual switch of the 'ingredient' is tantamount to extreme sexual assault, first of all, in an earlier scene, he had explicitly suggested she use his 'ingredient' and she said no. The idea that hijacking her pregnancy is a theme that can be seen - on any level - as comedic is really disturbing to me. And before you say it, it doesn't matter how drunk he was! Intoxication is not an excuse to sexually assault someone and that is essentially what happened here, not even taking into consideration the thought that he could have had a serious disease (HIV) or some kind of genetic disorder.

Then of course, I'm disappointed because she moves away so we don't even get to have the alternative family unit story line, and Wally is straight so there goes my anti-heteronormal idea as well.

In truth, the only saving grace of this movie is Sebastian. That kid is so great. Those big brown eyes looking all forlorn and conflicted were just perfect for the role (as long as you can look past the genetic impossibility of two blue eyed parents parenting a brown eyed kid), his little sighs and pouts were perfect, I can't imagine a better fit for the role of the kid. I really hope to see him in more movies.

Jennifer Aniston on the other hand seemed strained. She is very good at smiling and looking lovingly into someone's eyes and very good at playing that goofy/happy/a little bit hair-brained type of woman but I feel like she struggled with the more difficult scenes in the film, like the scene when Wally finally reveals what he did. She just kind of stands there looking confused and then slaps him, the slap was good, the facial expressions not so much.

Jason Bateman was a good pick for the male lead and I do quite like his range and timing, I thought he had very good chemistry with the kid, but ultimately I didn't really care about his character at all which isn't a comment on his acting but on the script and direction.

The one thing I did really like was the scene when the kid explains about the picture frames. I thought that was a great scene and in another movie could have been something really excellent. It's a shame it was used in this boring, insulting, piece of junk.

I've given the movie 3 stars. Two for the kid, and one for Goldblum who I have always really liked.

A romantic comedy with just enough of each to survive the overly clever hook

Author: secondtake from United States
28 June 2013

The Switch (2010)

Okay, it would be easy to dis this movie as a canned, obvious, emotionally thin contrivance. It's a vehicle for two popular stars playing characters in their 30s who are, despite good looks and basic social skills, single and childless. They have to fall in love but life gets in the way in kind of stupid ways. You can't take it seriously, and you can't even quite care enough to hope for the best, whatever that is.

But it's also easy to like this movie despite its obviousness. Jason Bateman is a joy to watch. Maybe his performance is like the movie--glib and facile. But like the movie he is endlessly watchable, and his character is the one with the most depth. His interactions with the boy of six or so are terrific. The boy, too, is adorable and helps the movie get some feeling.

Jennifer Aniston plays the woman who wants a child but has no one willing to be the dad, more or less (though the viewer knows better). And she's a terrific actress, actually, even if her role here (and elsewhere) is often not as demanding as it could be. I suppose Meg Ryan has some kind of edge on her for this kind of stereotype--the lovable lonely urban girl who just can't get love right despite the obvious--but Aniston is an update on that type.

But it is Aniston and Bateman together that really make the movie glide along and make you smile. They have great rapport and good timing, comedic and serious both. I wouldn't say they have chemistry (I guess that's the problem their characters have, so maybe it's great acting) but they make their scenes pop in a way the rest of the movie trundles.

The story writer, Jeffrey Eugenides, is better known for sprawling novels and lots of interrelated characters, but even there there are little hooks that come off a hair obvious. That's the problem here, in the end. There's a big trick, a wonderful and funny hook of an idea, and that almost alone has to handle all the consequences. Some better character development would have been a joy.

Oh, and it's been a long time since a movie with two directors has been able to pull off consistency. I don't know the logistics behind it, but maybe one of the hesitations all along is a lack of singular conviction. Or not. Maybe this is such a formula product any number of directors could have chipped in.

Watch it for the two leads together. And for some fun, warm laughs, if that's your thing. I enjoyed it.

" A movie that wont disappoint!"

Author: nathalierulez from Mckinney, TX
23 July 2011

This movie is just the right amount of romance and comedy.To me it was the movie of the year. I think who really stole the screen was Jennifer Anniston with her beauty and incredible sense of humor. She was the ideal person for this movie part. Though I have to say she cant take all the credit for the movies success. A great part of the acting was taken by Thomas Robbinson, who in the movie played Jennifer Anniston's son.

Thomas Robbinson is a brilliant 6 year old boy, inside and out of the movie screen. This little boy is likely to succeed in more movies. In the movie he played the intellectual son of Kassie Larson(Jennifer Anniston) and Wally Mars(Jason BateMan).

"The Switch" gives "chick flicks" a bad name

Author: (chuck-reilly) from Los Angeles
1 October 2010

Considering the travesty that this film is, it's safe to say that Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Juliette Lewis and Jeff Goldblum have all been served better in nearly every endeavor they've participated in during their lengthy careers. Directed by the non-dynamic and inept duo of Josh Gordon and Will Speck, "The Switch" veers from bad comedy to bad drama at every turn, making most viewers nauseous during the proceedings. Poor Jason Bateman, who certainly has shown great comedic skills in the past, gets the dubious assignment of playing a complete schmuck with absolutely no backbone; why Jennifer Aniston falls for him in the first place is beyond most human reasoning. The absurd plot involves Bateman getting drunk at a sperm donor party for Aniston (she and Jason are "just friends") and then accidentally "switching" his specimen with the intended party (a made-to-look-foolish Patrick Wilson). Then Jennifer conveniently moves out of town until she has the child (an obnoxious son similar to his obnoxious dad) and returns a few years later. When Jason finally sees the kid, he immediately recognizes his offspring---but fails to admit the truth to Jennifer and thereby drags the movie on and on. In the middle of this nonsense, Jennifer's (sort of) best friend, Juliette Lewis, gets to thrown in a few off-color jokes and Jeff Goldblum (Jason's understanding colleague) acts like he wandered onto the wrong set. His glazed look is all one needs to know regarding his contempt for the material. The end result is that this bomb of a film made no money and everyone involved should be totally embarrassed. How this movie and its "premise" ever passed muster with studio executives will never be explained. Suffice to say that someone probably lost his/her job when the dismal receipts came in.

Loved it

Author: lozlazza from London, England
16 May 2011

It's not you typical rom=com.

I'm a fan of Jason Bateman from his young TV days, teen wolf 2 right through Juno to Arrested Development. He excelled in his role as Wally and I love the chemistry he had with Sebastian. I think the boy kinda knew that he was in some way related to Wally subconsciously when he tells him to take him home! He had that look in his eyes like you know what you have to do when he led him into gatecrashing the party with Roland and his family. I love seeing the dynamics between the boy and his father/father figure especially after when Sebastian threw a tantrum at his birthday wall climbing party after which he ran to him mother Kassie then took Wally's hands to ask for comfort. This film reminded me of how much I loved watching Jersey Girl and About a Boy . Highly recommended as Jason Bateman's dry humour suits his character. I have bought the Blu-ray DVD version so i can watch the deleted scenes, bloopers etc. I would have loved to have had a scene when they tell Sebastian that Wally is is father, though I think that the boy kinda already had a feeling about this. I read the original short story The Baster on the web, which this film is based on and I much prefer the film version.

The Switch (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
13 December 2011

A truly cold and horrible film. This is billed as a romantic comedy, and certainly plays up to the cutesy charm. Then why is it that this film has so many sinister things going on? I would have loved for this to have been a serious drama. Bateman plays the best friend that is clearly in love with Aniston. Not THAT clearly, but we assume (correctly) so because this film isn't going to surprise us. She decides to have a baby with sperm donor Patrick Wilson (once again wasted). Bateman, drunkenly, spills the sperm and replaces it with his own. This isn't really the kind of plot I look for in my comedies, unless they are gross out or dark. This film revolves around this being some kind of charming act. 7 years later he realizes what he has done, but just telling Aniston would be too clever for this film. Instead he bottles it up and lets it all out at the most inappropriate time. There is nothing to like about this character. He sneakily sends guys away from Aniston, gets drunk to suppress his feelings, unknowingly fathers her child, lies, and ruins lives. He is a foul waste of space, but this film shows him to be the charming hero. Wilson, meanwhile, is recovering from a divorce and is looking forward to getting involved in his (supposed) child's life. He is cruelly sidelined. He is much more likable than the leads. Though I respect the decision to not make him out to be a typical villain, they could have least explored him. Here we have a guy trying to overcome a difficult time, and takes responsibility even though he needn't. Who the hell wrote this? Had Bateman raped Aniston, or swapped her baby, we'd be in horror territory. This really has me questioning humanity, but I suppose the fact it inspires forgiveness is something.

She's having whose baby?

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
13 May 2014

Romantic comedy or just a Jennifer Aniston vehicle? You choose. Kassie(Aniston)is approaching middle age and hears that old clock ticking...she wants a baby. Best friend Wally(Jason Bateman)is fun, but hopelessly neurotic and is put in Kassie's 'not baby daddy' material list. Artificial insemination is chosen and Kassie decides to throw a big party to celebrate her decision. Wally pines for the love of his life and as the drunk pessimist spies the chosen sperm donor's sample in the bathroom...there is some manipulation with the sample vial.

As the story progresses, Kassie needs to get out of New York City for it is just not the proper place to raise her child. After 7 years, Kassie returns with young son Sebastian(Thomas Robinson)in tow and desperately wants her sperm donor choice, Roland(Patrick Wilson), to bond with the lad. All the while, the ever narcssistic Wally can't help believing the boy has all his mannerisms.

Not exactly funny, nor is the acting outstanding; but the movie has its charm. Personally, I was expecting more. Also sharing the screen: Juliette Lewis, Jeff Goldblum, Scott Elrod and Kelli Barrett.

Made Me Like Jason Bateman Again

Author: Rachael from United States
22 August 2012

Ever since watching the movie Juno Jason Bateman had kind of been ruined for me. His character was such an awful guy and I could only see him as that jerk. After watching this movie however I really like Jason Bateman again. His character was such an adorable idiot and he played it perfectly. Jennifer Aniston was perfect as well and the little boy was so cute. It was amazing how well Bateman and the boy embodied the same person. The movie was also funny. I was a little worried it wouldn't hold up to the comedy it promised. Yes it wasn't the funniest movie I've ever seen but I laughed a lot. The little quirks that Bateman and the boy both posses are very funny and Aniston's counter with normalcy works wonderfully. Overall The Switch was a very sweet movie with laughs in store and lots of awwws!

At Least We Got To See A Delousing

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
4 February 2011

Seriously - eventually Hollywood has got to realize that Jennifer Aniston is not a Lead Actress! When she supports, she can do that well enough. In the movies where she's been the star, there's a noticeable trend toward declining quality. After the abysmal "The Bounty Hunter," one would have thought that the trend would turn around. I mean, how could it possibly get worse than that. But it did. At least there was a scene in "The Bounty Hunter" that made me laugh. There was nothing here; not even a smidgen of anything remotely resembling comedy. From the beginning you know what's going to happen. It's burdened with the at best ridiculous and at worst distasteful spectacle of Wally (Jason Bateman) replacing the donor sperm that his best friend Kassie (Aniston) has chosen to produce her child in her last shot at motherhood with his own. There has to be a problem when the part of the movie that truly stays in my memory is of the kid being deloused by Wally, while Kassie recites instructions on how to do it over the phone from half a continent away. I'm not saying that was the best scene of the movie. That would be unfair - because there were stretches of the movie I didn't see as the story put me into a merciful state of unconsciousness. But from what I did manage to keep my eyes open for I have no reason to think that the delousing wasn't the highlight. A tedious disaster. That pretty much sums it up.

A horrible attempt at making a sweet time-pass

Author: me_n_myself2199 from India
24 November 2010

This movie was way too bad than my expectations.

This is the story of loser guy (Bateman ) and his friend Aniston's relationship when they unknowingly make a child. Aniston actually selected a guy after auditioning many ( though shown none ) for sperm donation, and Bateman being drunk that night replaces it with his own.

There is no script in this movie and the performance average and annoyingly fleeting. Though there may be some maudlin quirks, but in vain to capture one's interest. It might be a good popcorn movie if you concentrate on the popcorn.

Don't watch this; I wouldn't have if I was sober.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]