IMDb > The Switch (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Switch

The Switch More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Terrible movie, can't even be saved by that awesome kid.

Author: nikkidynamo from Australia
10 November 2010

Overall this was a terrible movie. Let me start by saying that I didn't know anything about the movie before I saw it, I hadn't even seen the poster and had no idea what the 'switch' referred to until it happened.

In the beginning stages of the movie I thought it would be okay, an interesting feminist representation of women taking an alternative route to fertility and their own goals and dreams. A light look at a non-traditional family set up (I didn't think she would move away). I realise now that expecting Jennifer Aniston to be a part of a feminist anti heteronormal movie was asking a bit much (I thought Wally was gay and would help her raise her kid!).

Anyway, so then things started to go downhill. For starters any respectable Feminist movie would not include such a blatant violation of a woman, no matter how mainstream it is trying to be. Seriously, the actual switch of the 'ingredient' is tantamount to extreme sexual assault, first of all, in an earlier scene, he had explicitly suggested she use his 'ingredient' and she said no. The idea that hijacking her pregnancy is a theme that can be seen - on any level - as comedic is really disturbing to me. And before you say it, it doesn't matter how drunk he was! Intoxication is not an excuse to sexually assault someone and that is essentially what happened here, not even taking into consideration the thought that he could have had a serious disease (HIV) or some kind of genetic disorder.

Then of course, I'm disappointed because she moves away so we don't even get to have the alternative family unit story line, and Wally is straight so there goes my anti-heteronormal idea as well.

In truth, the only saving grace of this movie is Sebastian. That kid is so great. Those big brown eyes looking all forlorn and conflicted were just perfect for the role (as long as you can look past the genetic impossibility of two blue eyed parents parenting a brown eyed kid), his little sighs and pouts were perfect, I can't imagine a better fit for the role of the kid. I really hope to see him in more movies.

Jennifer Aniston on the other hand seemed strained. She is very good at smiling and looking lovingly into someone's eyes and very good at playing that goofy/happy/a little bit hair-brained type of woman but I feel like she struggled with the more difficult scenes in the film, like the scene when Wally finally reveals what he did. She just kind of stands there looking confused and then slaps him, the slap was good, the facial expressions not so much.

Jason Bateman was a good pick for the male lead and I do quite like his range and timing, I thought he had very good chemistry with the kid, but ultimately I didn't really care about his character at all which isn't a comment on his acting but on the script and direction.

The one thing I did really like was the scene when the kid explains about the picture frames. I thought that was a great scene and in another movie could have been something really excellent. It's a shame it was used in this boring, insulting, piece of junk.

I've given the movie 3 stars. Two for the kid, and one for Goldblum who I have always really liked.

A romantic comedy with just enough of each to survive the overly clever hook

Author: secondtake from United States
28 June 2013

The Switch (2010)

Okay, it would be easy to dis this movie as a canned, obvious, emotionally thin contrivance. It's a vehicle for two popular stars playing characters in their 30s who are, despite good looks and basic social skills, single and childless. They have to fall in love but life gets in the way in kind of stupid ways. You can't take it seriously, and you can't even quite care enough to hope for the best, whatever that is.

But it's also easy to like this movie despite its obviousness. Jason Bateman is a joy to watch. Maybe his performance is like the movie--glib and facile. But like the movie he is endlessly watchable, and his character is the one with the most depth. His interactions with the boy of six or so are terrific. The boy, too, is adorable and helps the movie get some feeling.

Jennifer Aniston plays the woman who wants a child but has no one willing to be the dad, more or less (though the viewer knows better). And she's a terrific actress, actually, even if her role here (and elsewhere) is often not as demanding as it could be. I suppose Meg Ryan has some kind of edge on her for this kind of stereotype--the lovable lonely urban girl who just can't get love right despite the obvious--but Aniston is an update on that type.

But it is Aniston and Bateman together that really make the movie glide along and make you smile. They have great rapport and good timing, comedic and serious both. I wouldn't say they have chemistry (I guess that's the problem their characters have, so maybe it's great acting) but they make their scenes pop in a way the rest of the movie trundles.

The story writer, Jeffrey Eugenides, is better known for sprawling novels and lots of interrelated characters, but even there there are little hooks that come off a hair obvious. That's the problem here, in the end. There's a big trick, a wonderful and funny hook of an idea, and that almost alone has to handle all the consequences. Some better character development would have been a joy.

Oh, and it's been a long time since a movie with two directors has been able to pull off consistency. I don't know the logistics behind it, but maybe one of the hesitations all along is a lack of singular conviction. Or not. Maybe this is such a formula product any number of directors could have chipped in.

Watch it for the two leads together. And for some fun, warm laughs, if that's your thing. I enjoyed it.

" A movie that wont disappoint!"

Author: nathalierulez from Mckinney, TX
23 July 2011

This movie is just the right amount of romance and comedy.To me it was the movie of the year. I think who really stole the screen was Jennifer Anniston with her beauty and incredible sense of humor. She was the ideal person for this movie part. Though I have to say she cant take all the credit for the movies success. A great part of the acting was taken by Thomas Robbinson, who in the movie played Jennifer Anniston's son.

Thomas Robbinson is a brilliant 6 year old boy, inside and out of the movie screen. This little boy is likely to succeed in more movies. In the movie he played the intellectual son of Kassie Larson(Jennifer Anniston) and Wally Mars(Jason BateMan).

The Switch (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
13 December 2011

A truly cold and horrible film. This is billed as a romantic comedy, and certainly plays up to the cutesy charm. Then why is it that this film has so many sinister things going on? I would have loved for this to have been a serious drama. Bateman plays the best friend that is clearly in love with Aniston. Not THAT clearly, but we assume (correctly) so because this film isn't going to surprise us. She decides to have a baby with sperm donor Patrick Wilson (once again wasted). Bateman, drunkenly, spills the sperm and replaces it with his own. This isn't really the kind of plot I look for in my comedies, unless they are gross out or dark. This film revolves around this being some kind of charming act. 7 years later he realizes what he has done, but just telling Aniston would be too clever for this film. Instead he bottles it up and lets it all out at the most inappropriate time. There is nothing to like about this character. He sneakily sends guys away from Aniston, gets drunk to suppress his feelings, unknowingly fathers her child, lies, and ruins lives. He is a foul waste of space, but this film shows him to be the charming hero. Wilson, meanwhile, is recovering from a divorce and is looking forward to getting involved in his (supposed) child's life. He is cruelly sidelined. He is much more likable than the leads. Though I respect the decision to not make him out to be a typical villain, they could have least explored him. Here we have a guy trying to overcome a difficult time, and takes responsibility even though he needn't. Who the hell wrote this? Had Bateman raped Aniston, or swapped her baby, we'd be in horror territory. This really has me questioning humanity, but I suppose the fact it inspires forgiveness is something.

"The Switch" gives "chick flicks" a bad name

Author: (chuck-reilly) from Los Angeles
1 October 2010

Considering the travesty that this film is, it's safe to say that Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Juliette Lewis and Jeff Goldblum have all been served better in nearly every endeavor they've participated in during their lengthy careers. Directed by the non-dynamic and inept duo of Josh Gordon and Will Speck, "The Switch" veers from bad comedy to bad drama at every turn, making most viewers nauseous during the proceedings. Poor Jason Bateman, who certainly has shown great comedic skills in the past, gets the dubious assignment of playing a complete schmuck with absolutely no backbone; why Jennifer Aniston falls for him in the first place is beyond most human reasoning. The absurd plot involves Bateman getting drunk at a sperm donor party for Aniston (she and Jason are "just friends") and then accidentally "switching" his specimen with the intended party (a made-to-look-foolish Patrick Wilson). Then Jennifer conveniently moves out of town until she has the child (an obnoxious son similar to his obnoxious dad) and returns a few years later. When Jason finally sees the kid, he immediately recognizes his offspring---but fails to admit the truth to Jennifer and thereby drags the movie on and on. In the middle of this nonsense, Jennifer's (sort of) best friend, Juliette Lewis, gets to thrown in a few off-color jokes and Jeff Goldblum (Jason's understanding colleague) acts like he wandered onto the wrong set. His glazed look is all one needs to know regarding his contempt for the material. The end result is that this bomb of a film made no money and everyone involved should be totally embarrassed. How this movie and its "premise" ever passed muster with studio executives will never be explained. Suffice to say that someone probably lost his/her job when the dismal receipts came in.

Loved it

Author: lozlazza from London, England
16 May 2011

It's not you typical rom=com.

I'm a fan of Jason Bateman from his young TV days, teen wolf 2 right through Juno to Arrested Development. He excelled in his role as Wally and I love the chemistry he had with Sebastian. I think the boy kinda knew that he was in some way related to Wally subconsciously when he tells him to take him home! He had that look in his eyes like you know what you have to do when he led him into gatecrashing the party with Roland and his family. I love seeing the dynamics between the boy and his father/father figure especially after when Sebastian threw a tantrum at his birthday wall climbing party after which he ran to him mother Kassie then took Wally's hands to ask for comfort. This film reminded me of how much I loved watching Jersey Girl and About a Boy . Highly recommended as Jason Bateman's dry humour suits his character. I have bought the Blu-ray DVD version so i can watch the deleted scenes, bloopers etc. I would have loved to have had a scene when they tell Sebastian that Wally is is father, though I think that the boy kinda already had a feeling about this. I read the original short story The Baster on the web, which this film is based on and I much prefer the film version.

This movie is just disturbing

Author: Allie
12 October 2010

This movie has pretty much nothing going for it. The acting is terrible. Jennifer Aniston, as usual, brings no personality at all to the character. All the other characters were just as bland and forgettable. The plot is dull; it's just Jason Bateman's character, Wally Mars trying to figure out whether or not to tell Aniston's character, Kassie Larson, that he switched the sperm and Sebastian is actually his kid. This could be an interesting plot if it involved character development, but in the end, none of the characters have gone through any sort of major change.

Even if you disregard the acting and plot, this entire movie centers around one disturbing plot point: Switching the sperm is a form of rape! Even if no sexual intercourse is involved, any form of sexual violation is rape. Sure, the character was drunk at the time, but that's no excuse.

I, for one, find it disturbing and just plain sick that the most important plot point of a ROMANTIC COMEDY is rape.

The Switch

Author: katelynv11597 from United States
28 September 2014

When first seeing this on my Netflix feed, I never thought id like it as much as i did. It is a typical comedy chick flick, but very enjoyable. While you watch, you can guess what is going to happen, but it you're still on the edge of your seat. It never fails to make you laugh, and the insemination party defiantly can brighten anyone's night. The casting was perfect for every part. Jennifer is a perfect fit for Kassie, the hardworking girl that is ready to be a mother, Jason Bateman does a great job at being Wally, dorky and quirky, and finally, Thomas Robinson is adorable and makes the movie tug on you're heart strings. I would defiantly recommend this movie to anyone who needs something to do on a Saturday night.

A fun, believable romance with a twist.

Author: David Holt (rawiri42) from Australia
30 August 2014

The Switch is a nice wholesome movie about a somewhat quirky young woman named Kassie (Jennifer Aniston) who decides that, as an independent career woman, she wants to become a mother - in other words, as the English would say, she gets clucky - except that she doesn't see any need for her child to have a father in its life. OK so far, nothing particularly new about that.

However, Kassie also decides that she doesn't see any need for any sort of formal arrangement and so she not only hires a suitably vetted married man as a sperm donor but throws a lavish party to celebrate the event of getting pregnant. The donor goes to the bathroom and takes himself in hand to produce the necessary "donation" and leaves it on the vanity for Kassie to administer. Enter Kassie's long-time "best friend," Wally (Justin Bateman) who is somewhat the worse for wear due to the generosity of his hostess and needs to use the facilities. Unfortunately, whilst doing so, he accidentally (well, not entirely) manages to spill the "donation" down the basin and, in his panic, just before passing out, summons up enough stamina to replace the donation with one of his own - and then forget all about it!

Shortly after the party, Kassie decides that New York is too hectic for her and goes back to her childhood home in Minnesota. goodbye Kassie (although she does send Christmas cards and the occasional email to Wally - after all, they were best friends)

Flash forward, >>> After 7 years away, Kassie decides to return to New York with her six-year-old son, Sebastian (brilliantly played by Thomas Robinson - watch out for a lot more from him in the future) and also decides that the original donor who she still thinks it is only right that as Sebastian's father he should, at least, be given the opportunity to meet his son. So she looks up Roland (the donor played by Patrick Wilson) only to find that he is no longer married.

Meanwhile though, Sebastian (who takes after his mother in quirkiness) and "Uncle" Wally hit it off immediately and become close friends.

The rest is somewhat predictable in that Roland thinks that Sebastian is his blood son and, now that he is free, he can quite naturally see lots of advantages in himself and Kassie and their son becoming a family and works towards that end. However, Wally has some sort of memory recovery where the events of the "Pregnancy part" evening come back to him and, as he realises that he and his son have a unique bond, plans to come clean to Kassie - except that he is terrified and keeps procrastinating until, in the end, he chooses a far from ideal moment to do it.

If you want to know what happens then, you'll have to watch the movie. It will leave you feeling good and glad you spent the time.

Surprisingly satisfying

Author: MtnShelby from United States
30 April 2014

I don't like romantic comedies. I don't particularly care for Jennifer Aniston's films. I don't even like cute kids. And yet I thoroughly enjoyed this film about a single woman's quest for motherhood. Jason Bateman is adorable and genuine, Jennifer is cute and spirited without being cloying, Patrick Wilson is well-cast as the cardboard sperm donor, Juliette Lewis is lots of fun, and that little boy . . . I could have smothered that cupcake in icing and just eaten him up. As others have commented, one of the nice things about the film is the interaction between Bateman and the little boy--they genuinely seemed to get along as if they really were father and son. Maybe I just needed a break from heavier films, but I thought The Switch was delightful. And yes I cried at the end--eeek.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]