IMDb > All About Steve (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
All About Steve

All About Steve More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

You know what I really like this...

Author: AmmoChick from usa
11 December 2009

I really don't know what everybody was expecting when they went to see this movie. I expected a good date movie and a fun watch. Instead I got a light hearted movie about a woman who is like the rest of us, normal in our own world but crazy to everybody else.

I really enjoyed this movie, I thought the acting was good and the plot was decent. It is a very enjoyable watch and if it is one I would advise you to see it. It has a very good core value to it. That one person kinda different or not can make a change in one persons life. I have a friend who is like this and it makes me only appreciate her personality even more, I like her the way she is..

Don't listen to everybody else, see this movie yourself, and give it a chance. You might like it.

No Doubt About It

Author: boblipton from New York City
7 September 2009

This review DOES contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen this movie yet, and finding out about it beforehand will upset your enjoyment, go see it and then come back. Or don't see it. A lot of people are unhappy with this flick and I believe I understand why.

One of the reasons this movie has been getting bad reviews is that it is being advertised as a romantic comedy, and it isn't one. You have Sandra Bullock, who has been in some very good romcoms, and two good-looking guys (including Thomas Haden Church who is always willing to mock his immobile good looks and deadpan delivery); the advertising campaign looks like a romantic comedy. What else can it be? Answer, it's a pure clown comedy, with a lead who starts out unlikeable, but goes on an inadvertent voyage of self-discovery. Its antecedents are not the romcoms you grew up on, but classic, flat out farces like Keaton's THE NAVIGATOR and Harold Lloyd's WHY WORRY? in which we start out disliking the hero heartily. In these movies, we wait for the comic to get kicked in the pants, because we don't like him..... but by the end of the movie, he has grown in wisdom and self-reliance, and we wish him well. Or, in this movie, her. It's a difficult balancing act and some people think Miss Bullock has fallen off the wire. Since she starts out as an unbearably smart motormouth to whom people are an utter mystery who winds up stalking Bradley Cooper, it's easy to write her off as insane and give up.

But I didn't and it took me about half the movie to realize what the film makers were doing. It's not something done often since movies learned to speak, and among female leads, I can only think of Katherine Hepburn in BRINGING UP BABY and, of course, Goldie Hawn's movies in which her characters break out of their molds and walk away as good people; although her most financially successful outing was probably PRIVATE BENJAMIN, she did something even more extreme than the transformation that Miss Bullock undergoes here in OVERBOARD. One of the problems that people may have with this movie is that this is so rarely done, and Miss Bullock has the courage needed to bring off a comedy: she isn't afraid to look stupid or foolish or dress in outfits that don't suit her or fall into a hole in the ground. So many actors are.

Miss Bullock doesn't change much here. She does become more self-aware as she talks endlessly about crossword puzzles, cicadas, hurricanes in Galveston and so on. The people she picks up on her voyage of self discovery are nerdy, not too bright, but quite willing to put up with her peculiarities because she will do as much for them; meanwhile Steve, Hartman and Angus, whom she pursues, make up a news team, and are busy worrying about how to get air time, usually by inserting themselves into news events as reporters, making themselves of interest when they have nothing much to offer. The actors do a good job, even when the roles are not well written or some key piece of celluloid seems to have wound up on the cutting room floor.

This is, by no means, a great movie, but it does have enough grace notes scattered throughout to have kept up my interest. If you sat down to watch it, I hope you will agree. If you read this despite the spoiler warning, perhaps you will give it a chance. I don't guarantee you will not be disappointed: Miss Bullock's character may strain your patience beyond recovery before the story turns around, but then again, you may have a very good time, as did I.

Great satire of TV News

Author: cubbyphil69 from United States
8 September 2009

I went in to the theater for the eye candy (Sandra Bullock), and came out laughing at the great job of parody they did on my former area of employment (TV News). And they do a nice revision of the main plot of "The Big Carnival" by Kirk Douglas - not a comedy - about an unscrupulous journalist (is there any other kind...) who tries to milk every drop from a man-trapped-in-cave story to jump-start his career. Sandra does a fine job of portraying her character realistically, as much realism as you can expect in a comedy/satire. This is what they used to call "screwball comedies" back in the black-and-white film era, except that the male actor always had talent. I haven't seen any evidence yet that Bradley Cooper gets work for any reason except being cute; no problem, talent will not be required from him for another ten to fifteen years. Thomas Hayden Church, as usual, nails the self-absorbed pompous airhead character they always have him play. That's OK, if you're good at only one thing and can make a career of it, at least he's a step ahead of Bradley. My main disappointment was that the apple-head sculpture website they mention for one character doesn't exist. You type in the domain name, and it takes you to the movie website. I wanted apple-heads, doggonnit! Oh, and they didn't put Katie Mixon to nearly enough use, what a waste of......TALENT! This one is a keeper on my Sandra Bullock DVD shelf.

Interesting but flawed, most likely only fans of romcoms or Bullock will want to take a chance

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
9 September 2009

Mary Horowitz (Sandra Bullock) is the crossword puzzle writer for the Sacramento newspaper. Brainy but reclusive, she is so driven to create good work that her life is consumed with writing and research. Not only that, she is now bunking with her parents, for her old apartment has to be "fumigated". Naturally, her parents want Mary to experience love, marriage, and children so they keep trying to get her out of the house. Setting her up with the son of close friends, Mary reluctantly agrees to go out with Steve (Bradley Cooper). But, oh joy! Steve is a looker and has an intriguing job as the cameraman for a cable news reporter, Hartman (Thomas Haden Church). Mary likes, likes, likes what she sees. But, since the puzzle-writer won't stop talking and makes heavy romantic advances, Steve gets spooked only minutes into their first date and he bolts, citing his need to get to a new work assignment. But, Mary is dizzy in love. She bumbles her next crossword duties, gets fired and, suddenly, decides to follow Steve to his current location, and the next one, too. Steve is horrified and tries to get rid of her but Hartman tells Mary, privately, that Steve is secretly happy she is there and that she should not get discouraged in her pursuit of love. Its a puzzlement! Will Mary get her heart's desire? In the world of romantic comedies, this one is an odd duck. It is interesting and has many good elements but doesn't achieve overall success. However, its weaknesses do not include the cast, for Bullock, Cooper, and especially Haden Church, are great. All of the supporting cast members are very fine, too. In fact, its the actors' skills that elevate the film beyond its script and tentative direction. Yes, it tries to make some good statements about individuality, media hype, and the like. But, it never totally succeeds in getting its points across with aplomb. On a lesser note, the costumes and sets are quite nice indeed. In short, if you love Bullock, Cooper, Haden Church or quirky movies, you might give this one a whirl. Sometimes an interesting "failure" is more fun than a slick but pointless flick.

Very good movie for people without preconceptions

Author: Guillermo Uria (hardland) from Uruguay
5 January 2010

I've read many negative review's about this film, and certainly, they only could be written by people with preconceptions. If you expect a fixed behaviour of "stars" which must do again and again the same roles -like in the old bad Hollywood times- then... this movie is not for you.

This is a very nice comedy, about an unconventional, passionate, creative, intelligent and naive woman, who has problems to get "adapted" to society. She struggles to be normal, but meanwhile finds that what's important is to be herself.

It's been really good acted -especially Bullock and Thomas Haden Church-, has a good rhythm, and a clever script.

It's the kind of movie you will enjoy... when you enjoy what you see, and not what you're supposed to see.

90 Minutes of My Life I Will Never Get Back!

Author: cchires from United States
4 September 2009

First let preface that this movie was not my first choice to see tonight, but after The Hangover and The Proposal, I was cautiously optimistic Sandra Bullock and Bradley Coooper would carry this movie even if it was a lightweight premise. How wrong I was!

The movie goes wrong the second these two meet for their blind date and never looks back. The main reason I think I had such a disconnect with this movie is because the characters do not act like any living person on this planet. Furthermore, Sandra Bullock does not have a clear role to play: she's vacillates between being sophisticated and clueless, at all times when it's convenient for the plot. I don't know if I was supposed to sympathize with her or not, but the eventual effect was annoyance! It's not a good sign when you're hoping that they just leave her at the bottom of that well. Bradley Cooper basically just smiles throughout the movie.

The movie also can't decide what genre it wants to belong to. It tries to be a comedy, a drama of self discovery, a satire of cable news, and a natural disaster movie (whether it be tornado or abandoned well) and fails at all attempts. Let it be said that the tornado looks good and that's about the best thing I can say about this movie.

I think I laughed twice during the film, but I can't remember if it was related to what was on screen or my on disbelief that I was in this theater. Sadly, I would be willing to bet that a conversation with a real crossword puzzle designer for ninety minutes would be more fun than sitting through this mess!

Romantic Comedy, Well Not Really, But A Comedy Nonetheless

Author: Jakemcclake from United States
8 September 2009

Spoilers Comedy is the unexpected and there was no way to expect the sudden twists and turns of this movie. Some of these unexpected things can put off the viewer, however. The first time Mary (Sandra Bullock) meets Steve (Bradley Cooper) she has such a need to sleep with him, she jumps right on him. Then many more unexpected things happen. The most unexpected thing is when all of the character suddenly move to a happy ending at the end. For example, Steve has a total turnaround regarding Mary, that comes out of nowhere. At the same time Mary has an epiphany regarding herself, which turns her around. She also has an epiphany regarding Steve, that causes the movie to move away from the standard Rom-Com ending into a more realistic ending.

But we hear loud and almost endless cheering for Mary and everyone winds up happy at the end.

This movie is worth a view just for the things that I did not mention that will come out if nowhere during the movie and probably make you laugh.

However, the message of the movie that - all people, no matter how they act, have worth - could get lost in the comedy and cheering.

Stranger Than Steve

Author: editor-530 from United States
5 September 2009

My wife and I enjoy Sandra Bullock, and I left the movie, "All About Steve" impressed with the growth of her as an artist. I understood the character that she played, Mary Horowitz, who is socially inept, yet brilliant with words and information. In one sense her character reminded me of Temperance "Bones" Brennan of the TV show, "Bones," who is clueless about how people think of her.

So for the character, Mary, to jump Steve (Bradley Cooper) on their first date, and to stalk him with the misguided idea that he wants her to follow her, was believable to me since I have met people like that. Sandra Bullock took on a character that was innocent in her social stupidity, yet made her almost believable in her irritating behavior. I say, "almost," because she is still quite beautiful and likable. But she is no Johnny Depp yet when it comes to character acting.

We found the movie funny and quirky. I felt that they had a good ensemble cast, even though, Sandra Bullock was the center of the story. I don't believe it will ever be hugely popular though. It had the same unusual character as Will Ferrall and Emma Thompson in "Stranger Than Fiction," although no where as sophisticated as that little masterpiece.

If you like quirky comedy, this is a good movie to watch.

Count me as another who enjoyed this film

Author: imdb-7660 from United States
2 July 2010

I watch a lot of movies, though not when first run at theaters -- generally I'll wait until the DVD price falls. This is why I only now getting around to viewing this film that "won" Sandra Bullock her Razzie.

And I believe that the Razzie voters were mistaken. I feel that Bullock did a nice job of playing a quirky, annoying person. Surely there were plenty of performances far more deserving of this award.

Although the character could be annoying, she still seemed like someone that would also be good to have as a friend, particularly as she evolved by the end of the movie. I think that it would not be a stretch to compare Mary to PeeWee Herman in "PeeWee's Big Adventure."

It was a nice cast and I felt that all of the actors really did fine work in this fun little comedy and will be viewing it again.

Awkward Comedy: "There is a method in the Madness"

Author: elegantenlightenments from California Highlands, United States
10 September 2009

Written In True Mary Horowitz Style:

Did you ever wonder HOW a Real person with a completely separate "Public" identity feels - say Charles Lindbergh whose child was stolen or Martin Luther King, Jr. whose front porch was bombed? There are Crazy people in this world - UTTERLY out of their mind crazy, mean and destructive...

- then there people like Mary: Kind, Gentle, Dorky and always trying to figure things out - yet still trying to find real love - just like everyone else. I thought Ms. Bullock's film was very compassionate, considerate and caring - An Excellent Comedy with Heart!

The scene where the two friends show how many people Mary touched in a positive way, compared to how many the newscaster touched in a negative way was priceless and showed Mary's true nature and thus her true value. Something that Mary had to learn for herself and DOES.

Learning to value yourself is a hard lesson and some people like, Marilyn Monroe, never quite get it and give up (but are so vain they take pictures before they do) and other's like the self-abdicated King of England get it right the first time - when true love hits them between the eye - yet still late in life (age 42):

"But you must believe me when I tell you that I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King (of England) as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love." - Edward the VIII

The sad fact is that many of us are late bloomers and in this world ... Thank you Ms. Bullock for always having a Heart of Gold. I'd rather live in the same category as Edward the 8th any day. Truly, "Thank You."

In addition, thank you Cast for making it funnier than heck - the "dead horse" getting up was PRICELESS so was the newscaster's spin doctoring - I almost split my side!!!!

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]