IMDb > Jewtopia (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jewtopia More at IMDbPro »

Truly awful

Author: martyncymro
22 September 2013

Do not be fooled by the people on here who have given 9 or 10 stars. If you check their profile you will see that this is the only film that they have ever reviewed. Sadly this is a trend which has become all too prevalent on IMDb in recent years. I really wish the site would sort it out.

The film itself is a well-worn and tired theme and the funny lines are not funny. My advice is to avoid this film at all costs unless you feel particularly like being angry with yourself for having wasted an hour and a half of your life. To be honest, I am not sure what the intended audience for this film is. I am not opposed to films about social, religious or national groups if they are done well. Mel Brooks was a master at this in his heyday. Borat was a belly laugh a minute. However this film fails on so many levels. Avoid at your peril.

A waste of time and talent. An unfunny film with poorly developed characters.

Author: iraz from United States
20 September 2013

I did not see the play, so I cannot compare the two works. I am Jewish and enjoy films that poke fun at Jews. A film that comes to mind is "A Serious Man" by the Coen brothers which is drawn from their upbringing in the Mid West. This was a very funny film with finely drawn characters. In "Jewtopia", the characters do not come across as real people but rather caricatures of real people. The humor is not clever but extremely silly and not funny. It shows a lack of creativity because there is a wealth of material to draw from and this is a lazy effort to poke fun at both Jews and non Jews alike. This is the kind of film that makes me angry because the effort is so poor. the story so weak that you have to wonder where it will draw an audience from. It does not deserve and audience! Once it opens in theaters I guarantee it will have a short run and generate very little income and no buzz. There are so many poor films being made and this one indicates the filmmakers have little faith in the intelligence of its audience.

Disturbing, offensive attempt at gross-out humor. Avoid it.

Author: mgfuchs99 from United States
3 March 2014

Self deprecating humor can be funny. Poking fun at your ethnicity's stereotypes can make you smile if done with affection and talent. I figured the large cast of well known actors meant this would be a good attempt at such screenplay. I guess I was expecting a Jewish "My big fat Greek wedding". Boy was I wrong.

What a stinker. Poorly written, poorly directed, over the top writing and, with a few exceptions, over the top acting make this little more than a string of Jewish (and Christian) family caricatures. It feels amateurish. To be clear, when I call this offensive, I'm not referring to the insulting ethnic stereotypes and jokes. I mean the movie was an offensive to me as the audience. Half way through all I could think of was "how did they get this many people to lend their reputations to this poorly written, over-acted, poorly cast, sophomoric attempt at humor?" Jack-ass and Bad Grandpa meets It's a mad mad mad mad world - with worse acting.

By the end it felt like I watched a "film" made by a bunch of drunk/stoned twenty- somethings with a camera who think themselves insanely funny and talented the louder and more obnoxious they act. Too bad I watched it sober.

Worth a watch...but not great

Author: loueymc from England
24 September 2013

I did actually enjoy this movie, but it has to be said, the humorous parts felt very forced and the storyline itself was pretty clichéd and predictable....I'm honestly surprised that Jennifer Love Hewitt (Ghost Whisperer, plus many great other movies), Peter Stormare (Prison Break) & Joel David Moore (Bones, Avatar, Dodgeball) would agree to be in a movie like this....that is clearly made for TV. The reason I even watched it, was due to the casting, figured it had to be awesome having such a good cast in it. As I said, it is enjoyable to a point...but some of the Actors/Actresses in this movie...are just wasted talent. Have to say though, Jamie-Lynn Sigler played her part very well....as I was highly irritated by her whiny/high maintenance character...so bravo to her!!

Yea it's dumb, but I left the theater in a good mood.

Author: athena24 from Israel
30 March 2014

I've contemplated whether to give it a 5 or a 6. I left the theater with a smile, and actually had a good time watching it. I had smiled, laughed at times, and at one point even grabbed my belly. So I'll give it a six.

On the bad side, it is very dumb and there is lots of toilet humor. One problem is that most of the jokes are very dumb and are not funny enough to compensate for the lack of wit.

On the good side, it is not rude at all, even with all the amount of sex jokes, clitoris jokes, and toilet jokes. Even when the jokes didn't make me laugh too much, they weren't offensive and I didn't have any inconvenience watching. There are also nice stereotypes about Jews. Exaggerated of course, but taken from the reality.

Goofy Movie, but a fun watch

Author: mjh3141 from United States
10 February 2014

So the name caught my eye, and truthfully I had to watch the trailer because of the Big name cast, with some great comedic actors. If you like movies that require little thought and do not rely on poor language, gross-out jokes or sexually explicit humor, this is a great movie. With a name like Jewtopia, the movie delivers exactly what it promises- a movie based on stereotypes that laughs societal differences and misconceptions.

The movie is easily comparable to Rat Race, Movie 43, Top Secret and many of the late model Mel Brooks Movies....

While the movie may never be a classic, there are plenty funny character interactions, racial stereotypes and gag humor to carry the movie on as a Saturday afternoon staple.

Funny, well done with a few flaws

Author: rmillerlaw from United States
27 April 2012

A funny film, loosely based on a popular play. Very funny scenes, and although the story might seem rambling at first, it's cohesively organized around one man's efforts to pose as Jewish to win over the heart of a Jewish girl that he's fallen for.

This film has a huge cast. Many of the cast did a great job, although Peter Stormare's strange British/Southern accent was noticeable enough to be very distracting. Some, like Rita Wilson and Jamie Lynn Sigler nail their roles impressively.

Joel David Moore is the star of this show and his scenes, even the ones that were very much improbable, were some of the best moments in this film.

Wacky, over the top, fun and outrageous

Author: rebeccahalsted from United States
1 May 2012

Saw the film in Newport Beach on April 26th - was told it was the World Premiere. I didn't know what I was in for and wasn't aware that Jewtopia had been a play. I was so pleasantly surprised. The cast is really great and I have a girl crush on Jennifer Love Hewitt who is so hot in the movie...and Ivan Sergei. There's also Jon Lovitz who I forgot how brilliantly funny he was - so many one liners that had me laughing. The story felt a tiny bit scattered at times but the pacing was so fast and furious that I never had a moment to catch my breathe...which I liked. There are some truly outrageously funny moments and also some really sweet ones. I was there with my boyfriend who took me as a night on the town and he really enjoyed Jewtopia too. I recommend it.

Peter Stormare steals the show!

Author: markussaturn from United States
20 May 2012

To be honest, I wasn't all fired up to go see a screening of Jewtopia. I'm not Jewish and figured it would be all about religion. Then I read that Peter Stormare was in it -- the same Peter Stormare from my two favorite films of all time - Big Lebowski and Fargo - so it became an automatic that I had to check it out. Stormare plays Buck O'Connell a red neck Marine colonel who is so wacky and off the wall that you simply can't help but laugh. To me he is one of the funniest and most under rated comedic actors ever. On the whole, the movie had many many laughs. Jamie Lynn Sigler is another breathe of comedic gold... I'm a huge Sopranos fan but never realized that she could be utterly funny. While this movie doesn't compare to The Big Lebowski, anyone who likes a fast pace comedy with some truly funny moments will really like this movie I think. I'm not sure why the name is Jewtopia is the movie is very universal.

Very Funny and Unexpected Laughter

Author: reggieschneider1 from United States
19 May 2012

I went to a screening of this film last week as it has not been released in theaters yet. I'm not a Jew and don't have a religious bone in my body so I wasn't sure if I was going to like or even understand the film. Well, I can tell you that the film really doesn't have much to do with being Jewish or religion. It's closer to Wedding Crashers or Step Brothers in it's comedy. Off the wall, over the top and consistently found me laughing out loud. The story is about a guy named Chris who wants to be a Jew so he'll never have to decide anything for himself...hope this isn't racist, but I think that's pretty true and certainly made me laugh. The cast is a great ensemble and Jon Lovitz is really funny in the film and steals many of the best one liners. Not sure when this will come to theaters, but I would recommend it if you're into smart R rated comedies with the right amount of raunch and lots of belly laughs. GO!