IMDb > Jewtopia (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Jewtopia More at IMDbPro »

Truly awful

Author: martyncymro
22 September 2013

Do not be fooled by the people on here who have given 9 or 10 stars. If you check their profile you will see that this is the only film that they have ever reviewed. Sadly this is a trend which has become all too prevalent on IMDb in recent years. I really wish the site would sort it out.

The film itself is a well-worn and tired theme and the funny lines are not funny. My advice is to avoid this film at all costs unless you feel particularly like being angry with yourself for having wasted an hour and a half of your life. To be honest, I am not sure what the intended audience for this film is. I am not opposed to films about social, religious or national groups if they are done well. Mel Brooks was a master at this in his heyday. Borat was a belly laugh a minute. However this film fails on so many levels. Avoid at your peril.

A waste of time and talent. An unfunny film with poorly developed characters.

Author: iraz from United States
20 September 2013

I did not see the play, so I cannot compare the two works. I am Jewish and enjoy films that poke fun at Jews. A film that comes to mind is "A Serious Man" by the Coen brothers which is drawn from their upbringing in the Mid West. This was a very funny film with finely drawn characters. In "Jewtopia", the characters do not come across as real people but rather caricatures of real people. The humor is not clever but extremely silly and not funny. It shows a lack of creativity because there is a wealth of material to draw from and this is a lazy effort to poke fun at both Jews and non Jews alike. This is the kind of film that makes me angry because the effort is so poor. the story so weak that you have to wonder where it will draw an audience from. It does not deserve and audience! Once it opens in theaters I guarantee it will have a short run and generate very little income and no buzz. There are so many poor films being made and this one indicates the filmmakers have little faith in the intelligence of its audience.

Disturbing, offensive attempt at gross-out humor. Avoid it.

Author: mgfuchs99 from United States
3 March 2014

Self deprecating humor can be funny. Poking fun at your ethnicity's stereotypes can make you smile if done with affection and talent. I figured the large cast of well known actors meant this would be a good attempt at such screenplay. I guess I was expecting a Jewish "My big fat Greek wedding". Boy was I wrong.

What a stinker. Poorly written, poorly directed, over the top writing and, with a few exceptions, over the top acting make this little more than a string of Jewish (and Christian) family caricatures. It feels amateurish. To be clear, when I call this offensive, I'm not referring to the insulting ethnic stereotypes and jokes. I mean the movie was an offensive to me as the audience. Half way through all I could think of was "how did they get this many people to lend their reputations to this poorly written, over-acted, poorly cast, sophomoric attempt at humor?" Jack-ass and Bad Grandpa meets It's a mad mad mad mad world - with worse acting.

By the end it felt like I watched a "film" made by a bunch of drunk/stoned twenty- somethings with a camera who think themselves insanely funny and talented the louder and more obnoxious they act. Too bad I watched it sober.

Worth a watch...but not great

Author: loueymc from England
24 September 2013

I did actually enjoy this movie, but it has to be said, the humorous parts felt very forced and the storyline itself was pretty clichéd and predictable....I'm honestly surprised that Jennifer Love Hewitt (Ghost Whisperer, plus many great other movies), Peter Stormare (Prison Break) & Joel David Moore (Bones, Avatar, Dodgeball) would agree to be in a movie like this....that is clearly made for TV. The reason I even watched it, was due to the casting, figured it had to be awesome having such a good cast in it. As I said, it is enjoyable to a point...but some of the Actors/Actresses in this movie...are just wasted talent. Have to say though, Jamie-Lynn Sigler played her part very well....as I was highly irritated by her whiny/high maintenance character...so bravo to her!!

Odd mix of ethnic and toilet humor .....

Author: merklekranz from United States
3 September 2015

The initial idea is terrific. A Jew teaching a Gentile how to act Jewish in order to date a 'Jewish Princess". The execution however is a real mixed bag of ethnic jokes and toilet humor. Ethnic stereotypes are purposely on parade, and the cast gives it their all. John Lovitz as the "Embroidary King" and Peter Stormare as the beer drinking, moose hunting redneck are funny. However the sexual jokes mostly fall flat, except for the circumcision scenes. While most of the funnier lines are in the trailer, there are still enough outrageous situations to make viewing worthwhile. Fans of reluctant groom type comedies should find enough here to like. - MERK

Yea it's dumb, but I left the theater in a good mood.

Author: athena24 from Israel
30 March 2014

I've contemplated whether to give it a 5 or a 6. I left the theater with a smile, and actually had a good time watching it. I had smiled, laughed at times, and at one point even grabbed my belly. So I'll give it a six.

On the bad side, it is very dumb and there is lots of toilet humor. One problem is that most of the jokes are very dumb and are not funny enough to compensate for the lack of wit.

On the good side, it is not rude at all, even with all the amount of sex jokes, clitoris jokes, and toilet jokes. Even when the jokes didn't make me laugh too much, they weren't offensive and I didn't have any inconvenience watching. There are also nice stereotypes about Jews. Exaggerated of course, but taken from the reality.

Hoot Hoot! Pretty offensive humor, at times, but very funny

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
22 February 2016

Christian O'Donnell (handsome Ivan Sergei) had a hurtful childhood. His father was in the military and they moved so many times, Christian never had any friends. That is, until the day they landed in Brooklyn and he became friends with Jewish boy Adam (Joel David Moore). But, poor Adam's panic attacks got him in sticky situations and after a horrid one, the two families were glad the O'Donnells were moving yet again. The boys lost touch. In college, Christian attracted the attention of a Jewish girl and basked in her "taking control" of his life for three years. What a tragedy when she told him before graduation that she couldn't marry a Gentile. Now, some ten years later, Christian is a plumbing supervisor with two funny sidekicks but, he still hasn't found the right gal. Therefore, our Chris gets the idea that MAYBE he should find another Jewish girl and PRETEND that he is Jewish. Along comes lovely Allison (Jennifer Love Hewitt) at a Jewish mixer. Also, Chris runs into Adam, again, and gets advice on how to "act Jewish". Adam is also on the verge of marriage with a dominatrix (Jamie Lyn Sigler). Will Chris be successful at courting Allison and not blowing his ethnic cover? Will Adam have another panic attack before his BIG day? Hoot Hoot, this offensively humored film is funny. Based on a famous play, it sends up Jewish culture even as it honors it. The cast is a dream, with Sergei and Hewitt leading the way and Moore, Jon Lovitz, Rita Wilson, Tom Arnold, Wendy Malick , Sigler, and a host of others vying for perfection. Then, too, the costumes are to die for while the sets, excellent script and carefully zesty direction create one fine, fine movie. There are a few risqué scenes and, as stated, the comedy is in-your-face offensive. But, if you think you can get beyond that, do it. Jewtopia is a utopia of laughs and laughs.

It could've been a 6, or maybe even a 7

Author: sernaker
3 December 2014

Jewtopia had some really hilarious scenes, along with some uncomfortable ones. REALLY uncomfortable ones, like the guy (Christian) saying offensive things (without realizing they were offensive, mostly because he is kind of clueless on the social scale). The bigger, unredeemable problem, is that after he says the offensive things, he calls the woman (Alison) about 20 times, and she tells him to not call her anymore. So Christian gets his employee friends to help him stalk her parents, as part of the effort to win her back. BOY MEETS GIRL, GIRL REJECTS BOY, BOY STALKS HER FAMILY, BOY WINS HER BACK: BAD FORMULA. AND IT DIDN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN. He could've only called her a few times, realized he was being rejected, moved on to the manipulation (still a little slimy, but completely forgivable in this type of irreverent comedy). Even giving it further benefit of the doubt and saying an irreverent comedy CAN go that far, going that far is what took it from funny to uncomfortable, and therefore less funny.

This movie is really bad.

Author: farkhondepay from USA
14 May 2015

SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO BAD. I can't even express how bad this movie is. It's so bad. So so so so so so bad. Just, really really bad. What was anybody thinking allowing a movie like this to be made, it's really really bad. I didn't watch the whole thing, and I usually stick with bad movies just to finish them. But this was so maddeningly, offensively, ludicrously in poor taste that I angrily turned off this movie and had to take a shower to restart my day. This. Movie. Is. Awful. Just a terrible horrible no good very bad film. Ugh, I've wasted enough breath, but if I could make it my personal mission as a zealot, it would be to prevent anyone from wasting a moment of their time watching this filth. It's so bad. OK, I'm done.

Goofy Movie, but a fun watch

Author: mjh3141 from United States
10 February 2014

So the name caught my eye, and truthfully I had to watch the trailer because of the Big name cast, with some great comedic actors. If you like movies that require little thought and do not rely on poor language, gross-out jokes or sexually explicit humor, this is a great movie. With a name like Jewtopia, the movie delivers exactly what it promises- a movie based on stereotypes that laughs societal differences and misconceptions.

The movie is easily comparable to Rat Race, Movie 43, Top Secret and many of the late model Mel Brooks Movies....

While the movie may never be a classic, there are plenty funny character interactions, racial stereotypes and gag humor to carry the movie on as a Saturday afternoon staple.