IMDb > The Blind Side (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Very well done!

Author: jeremyscates from United States
20 November 2009

I don't usually feel the need to leave comments, but this movie was just to well done not to. I went in expecting more football, more hits & highlights & as a huge football fan that was one of the main draws of the movie. The football actually takes a back seat to a wonderful story that is well executed by everyone involved. I've always thought Sandra Bulluck has been over-rated, but she nails this role & deserves some recognition down the road. The movie is so fantastic that anyone and everyone can relate and feel connected to the characters. The ideal target audience for this movie is children and adults alike. This movie should be an Oscar contender but I know these types of movies rarely ever win. Definitely deserves my vote!

Skillful, compassionate and dignified portrayal of an amazing, true personal drama

Author: tinanwoods from United States
1 November 2009

I have just returned from seeing the blind side. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, particularly it's more poignant moments. Yes, this is a sports story, yes this is a biopic, but it is also in large part an interpersonal drama. It is rare to see a movie these days that relies on drama to carry it-not special effects, lush historically accurate wardrobe, or astounding make up- just a story that resonates with the viewer. That this story is based on contemporary facts makes it all the more resonant. Events that might have been handled superficially, predictably or exploited for dramatic purposes were instead presented in a nuanced and profound manner. Michael's biological mother was portrayed with dignity and compassion. In short, the aspects of Michael's story that make it moving and inspiring were captured with skill and integrity. As for the negative feedback regarding this movie that began when the only the trailers were available - I think the comments might be more a reflection of the world view of the authors rather than a reflection of the quality of the movie or the reality of Michael's story. Some people think the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" was a story about racism in the south, or that "The Crying Game" was a movie about the IRA - to me those were the settings for the drama, and not the drama itself. John Lee Hancock really bit off a lot when he took on this project-but as it turned out, it was not more than he could chew. Remember when Attorney General Eric Holder commented on how we were a nation of cowards when it came to openly discussing race? With this movie, Hancock has demonstrated he is not one of those cowards. He did not ignore the racial or class differences of the characters in this movie, and he avoided using the movie to make a social statement with the movie. He allowed these character attributes to be what they were in reality, and told the human drama in an effective and sensitive manner.

Better than I thought

Author: momomomomo from United States
21 November 2009

I've been reading lot of horrible comments that are based solely on the issues surrounding the movie rather than the movie itself. I wasn't excited to see this movie, I'm not interested in sports at all. The movie kept my attention though and well. It moved along quickly and pulled me into the story and left me feeling inspired. I wasn't excited to see a blonde sandy bullock in a sports movie, I think that's what might have turned me off the most, but she did really good job! It's rare to see a movie where there's a really strong lead female character. Whether you like Leigh Anne Touhy or not in the end, she is certainly entertaining and Sandra Bullock does a great job of bringing her onto the screen. The youngest son did an amazing job! So much talent in him. The character of Mike I think could have used a few more lines, even if he's supposed to be shy and reserved. All the actors really did a great job though for the most part. No it's not an epic Oscar winning film, although I wouldn't be surprised if Bullock got nominated for something for her acting. It is NOT loaded with propaganda as the other reviews might suggest. It's a light entertaining pick me up film that would be an excellent choice to bring the family to, most likely the reason why they released it over the Holidays.

Fantastic, heartwarming, fun and emotional.

Author: dbutrfli from United States
21 November 2009

I just saw The Blind Side last night. As I have read even if you are not a football fan you'll like this movie. I am not a football fan (baseball is my sport) but I loved it!!! So many great performances by the actors. A charming story with laughs and tears. How nice to have a positive movie this time of the year especially. Everybody MUST see this movie. Quinton Aaron does a fantastic job of playing Michael Oher. In the early scenes he has no dialog, but expresses so much just with is eyes and facial expressions. Jae Head is charming as the young "brother" S.J. Camped up I am sure, but I go to the movies to entertained which the movie does in spades! Sandra Bullock as I have never seen her before, does a wonderful job, so different that the other roles she has had in the past. And Ray McKinnon as the coach has some expressions that John Lee Hancock should be awarded for his direction.

My take on the Michael Oher story

Author: Chris-538 from United States
15 November 2009

I'm a sports snob. I strongly believe there's only a handful of truly great sports movies. It's just too difficult for filmmakers to recreate the drama that takes place on the field. So when the Creative Loafers at sportschump.net asked me to review The Blind Side, a sports movie I would never see,starring an actress I really don't like, I was skeptical. But they promised me Jujubees, so I agreed to attend the premiere.

I fell into my comfy leather chair at the Cobb Theater Cinebistro in Wesley Chapel, fully expecting to pan everything about the movie. Then a strange thing happened. The film turned out to be pretty good.

Blind Side is adapted from Michael Lewis' novel of the same name. Just like the book, the film begins with a narrative of the game in which Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theismann's leg. According to Lewis, that hit more than any other moment in football history, heightened the need for a strong, left tackle to protect the quarterback's blind side.

Enter the Michael Oher story.

Oher (Quinton Aaron) is an over-sized, high school kid from Memphis' inner city with no academic records and a crack addict for a mother. He is accepted into a local Christian high school when the football coach recognizes his potential.

Early scenes at Wingate Christian High School depict Oher as uncomfortable and intimidated in his new, mostly white surroundings. One teacher describes him as 'a fly in the milk.' Oher never says much, most of his expressions portrayed through mopey, facial gestures. Aaron's performance isn't groundbreaking, unless of course Oher didn't say much in real life. If that's the case, his performance is dead on.

After their youngest son (Jae Head) befriends Oher, Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy (Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw), stumble upon Oher one afternoon roaming the streets, avoiding return to his crime-ridden projects. They welcome him into their home to sleep on their sofa for a night, which becomes a week, which ultimately becomes a legal adoption.

Despite Oher's poor grades, school administrators find that he excels in one capacity. He scores a 98% in protective instincts on a high school aptitude test.

The Tuohy's, a well-to-do, Southern Republican family with a strong allegiance to Ole Miss, hire a private tutor (Kathy Bates) to help Oher with his academic troubles. Once getting good enough grades to make the football team, Oher has trouble adjusting to the brutality of the sport. It's not until Bullock compares protecting his quarterback to the affection he feels for his new family that Oher finally understands his purpose on the field.

The word gets out about Oher eventually when a top scout is sent a DVD of his skills. Suddenly, major college coaches flock to recruit him. Sports fans will enjoy cameos from Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville, Phillip Fulmer, Lou Holtz and Houston Nutt, although LSU fans will cringe seeing Saban wearing purple once again.

The only problem is Oher is failing English, which makes him academically ineligible to receive a football scholarship. It's not until McGraw recites "The Charge of the Light Brigade" that Oher learns about courage, honor and ultimately passes another difficult test: his final English essay.

Oher decides to enroll at Ole Miss, which draws an NCAA investigation to ensure the Tuohy family did not tamper with his decision. Oher buys into it, then lashes out at Bullock, accusing her of taking him in just to get him to go to their alma mater. A resentful and confused Oher returns to the projects in search of his real mom, then busts up the local gangster's home, a scene which probably warrants the film's PG-13 rating.

Little by little, the audience is allowed a peek into Oher's upbringing, not a pretty picture, probably less so in real life. The film features several touching moments such as when the Tuohy's drop Oher off at college or when Bullock confronts Oher's real mother, who can barely remember which man was his biological father.

The film has its share of trite, Hollywood moments including McGraw and Bullock's designer marriage in which they never argue, Bullock telling off her country club friends in a moment of racial enlightenment, phoning the football coach from the sidelines to call in plays and Oher getting flagged in his opening game for 'excessive blocking.' Blind Side also glosses over several racial and class stereotypes, careful to equally bash Democrats, rednecks and Southerners. The film also provides several moments of comic relief in the form of McGraw's occasional one-liners that help to break up the film's drama.

Without reading Lewis' book or knowing the complete Oher history, one might think the film is overdramatized, until the closing credits which show a sequence of real pictures of Oher being raised by Tuohy family. They remind us that Blind Side is not only based on a true story, it is a true story.

Blind Side won't go down in the annals as the greatest sports movie ever made but it does have its moments. It's a touching depiction of what can result when some, give others, a fighting chance.

Mo

Bullock's Masterpiece

Author: J_Trex from Philadelphia
27 November 2009

I don't think I've seen a Bullock movie since "Speed" that didn't leave me watching my cell phone for the time. Her movies have been pretty awful and worth skipping. Not this one. The story received a lot of press and one has to give her much credit for snapping up the rights to it. She also did a fabulous job as the heroine. I was simply amazed. It was really one of the most amazing career rehabilitations since Travolta in "Pulp Fiction".

I loved the story. It is a genuinely heartwarming tale of an abandoned teenager adopted by a wealthy family and guided to success. And it's all true. This is what make me love movies. What a great film! Go see this movie. I loved it and so will you.

A blind man can tell that this is a great film.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
29 November 2009

Nice to see Sandra Bullock come back after the cinematic travesty, called All About Steve(2009). This was a well made film, perfectly filmed,and great performances by everybody.

Leigh Ann Tuohy(Sandra Bullock), seems to have the life most women would envy, a wonderful supporting husband(Tim Mcgraw), and two great kids(Lily Collins and Jae Head). But one day while driving home, she sees, a larger then life teenager which everybody calls Big Mike(Quinton Aaron), when she tries to talk to him, he comes across as a little withdrawn, and is nearly homeless, she decides to take him in, with her supporting family behind her. Leigh finds out his name is Michael Oher, and tries to dig up things about his past, in hopes of helping him, but the question is will she?

I really liked this film, it manages to balance humor and drama perfectly. Sandra Bullock gave quite a strong performance, so Quinton Aaron, Lyn Collin, but Jae Head is quite the scene stealer. It also has a good football scene as well. And Kathy Bates is good in her supporting role also. I say see The Blind Side.

One of my top 5 movies of '09.

Author: Cassandramork from Sweden
22 November 2009

This movie was amazing and it gives you so much. Sandra bullock's performance was great, I would actually go so far as saying it was her best ever. I really think she might get an Oscar for it this year. The real Leigh Anne was born just so that Sandra Bullock could play her in this movie. She was dead on throughout the whole movie. If you haven't seen it you have to. I usually get really bored watching true life stories but this one kept me interested thru out the whole movie. If there was such a thing as a perfect movie, this would be it. Great plot, Amazing actors, Talented directors, etc. Go and see it. And I really think both men and women will like this one. It has a very sensitive touch but still it has a lot of funny moments and it has football in it. 10 out of 10.

Another inspirational sport film

Author: cokiwa from United States
18 November 2009

I saw this last night at a screening and found it to be a very inspiring movie. I love sports movies as well as movies based on true stories, so this film hit multiple buttons for me personally, but reactions of others leaving the theater seemed equally positive.

As with any sports movie, you must have an underdog to cheer for, and Michael Oher is that underdog. Having been removed by CPS from his crack-addicted mother's home as a child and bounced from foster home to foster home, Oher has been staying on a friend's couch. He is reluctantly accepted to a private school when the football coach sees potential in him and pressures the school's admissions board to give him a chance.

Unfortunately, being an undereducated black youth in a predominantly white private school doesn't magically turn his life around, and in addition to struggling to understand his classes, he finds himself sleeping in an all night laundromat after the stay at the friend's house ends. While walking on a cold, rainy night , Oher is offered a ride and then a place to sleep for the night by the Leigh Anne Tuohy, whose children attend the same school Michael does. It's this single act of kindness that begins a chain of events that will change this underdog's life, eventually resulting in his being a top 2009 NFL draft pick and signing with the Baltimore Ravens.

The actors brought plenty of life to the characters they were playing. It was a pleasure to watch Tim McGraw as Sean Tuohy, making a somewhat minor character in the film memorable. Sandra Bullock's portrayal of Leigh Anne Tuohy was fascinating--I'd really love to meet Mrs. Tuohy in person. Jae Head as SJ became my favorite character in the movie, practically stealing the show as it were. Quinton Aaron's portrayal of Oher leans heavily to the strong, silent type, but there is a quiet grace and gentleness that comes through.

Obviously, nothing is quite as slick and clean as Hollywood plays it in movies like this, and there were issues and controversies surrounding the Tuohy family and the assistance they offered Michael Oher. Some of it is depicted in the movie, though not all, and there are many who will decry this film for that. It's a given that there is more to a story than what you see on the screen...condensing years into a two hour presentation requires some compromise...and it is meant to be entertainment after all.

I only had a couple criticisms. One, at 126 minutes, the movie was a little too long. I think 8-10 minutes of editing would have really tightened it up and eliminated a couple slower moments. Second, Sandra Bullock's accent seemed a little too forced at times. And finally, what happened to Steve Hamilton, the boy whose family Michael was staying with when he started attending Briarwood? Once introduced as his father pressures the coach for scholarships for Steve and Michael, he disappears from the movie. Minor issues that didn't keep this from being an extremely enjoyable movie, but did help keep it from being a perfect 10.

Humorous, heartwarming, and satisfying

Author: Howard Schumann from Vancouver, B.C.
28 March 2010

In the fact-based film The Blind Side, a burly homeless black teenager Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) is taken in by the family of Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock), a spunky white Christian mother of two and assisted through school until he achieves success as a football player in high school and college, eventually being drafted in the first round by the professional Baltimore Ravens. The film, written and directed by John Lee Hancock and adapted from a book by Michael Lewis, is undemanding entertainment that lacks a great deal of subtlety but is continuously entertaining and emotionally involving and redefines the true meaning of family values.

Michael who is known initially as "Big Mike" has been abandoned by his drug-addicted mother and survives in the slums of Memphis, Tennessee only by his wits. He sleeps where he can find a warm place -- a friend's couch, a Laundromat, a school gym -- when a family friend intervenes and helps him enroll in a private Christian high school. Sensing the boys' potential, football coach Cotton (Ray McKinnon) convinces the administrators of the school to admit him although he knows that he will not be eligible to play football unless he can keep up his grades. Seeing Michael alone wandering the streets, he is given a lift and taken home and made a member of the family by Leigh Anne, an interior designer who lives with her husband Sean (Tim McGraw), teenage daughter Collins (Lily Collins), and SJ (Jae Head) an expressive little boy who provides most of the film's comic moments.

Living with the Tuohy family allows Michael to learn to trust and to begin to express some of his feelings from a life of poverty and neglect. Michael who is so big that Leigh Anne can hardly find any clothes to buy for him is also gentle and lacks the killer instinct required of a football tackle. Tutored by the adorable SJ and counseled by Leigh Anne to view the team as a family he has to protect, Michael begins to develop his aggressiveness as a left tackle and develops his skills, eventually turning the team into winners. To raise his grades to be eligible for a college scholarship, the Tuohys hire Miss Sue, remarkably performed by Kathy Bates, who admits to the Republican family that she is a Democrat, prompting Sean to remark that he "never thought they would have a black son before they met a Democrat." Besides his grades, however, Michael must overcome several more obstacles that stand in his way before he can enter college.

The Blind Side shows Michael Oher achieving a transformation in his life based on his relationship with the family who took him and nurtured him to independence and self-respect. Sandra Bullock delivers an emotionally resonant performance as a woman whose life is enriched by her simple act of kindness and courage to act from her values. While the film breaks no new ground stylistically, it also resists genre clichés, has no movie villains, avoids cheap sentiment, and, in spite of patronizing images in its trailers and advertising posters, is a humorous, heartwarming, and satisfying experience. Ultimately, The Blind Side is not a film about sports but about the rewards of showing love and support when it is not always accepted or understood by the community.

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]