The Blind Side (2009) Poster

I can see why Michael Oher was unhappy with this film
itszombietime11 October 2010
First of all, Quinton did a fine job in the lead role. Let's get that out of the way. Great acting job. He took the material he was given and played the role very well.

However, this film is pure Hollywood sap, a "feel good" movie that picks and chooses factual elements and builds a fictional tale around them. The film loves the character of Leigh Ann (who is really not that interesting, although she is kind hearted and generous), and as a result, Oher is relegated to a shy over-sized charity case with no clue and no skills of any sort, other than his natural kindness and resilient character. That strengthens the focus on Leigh Ann's rescue actions, how she "saved" this poor aimless kid and gave him all the life skills he needed to succeed on and off the football field. It resonates with white suburban do-gooder audiences, but it's just not accurate.

In truth, Michael Oher was already a very good football player when the Tuohy family took him in. And he had a bold, confident personality that rubbed off on everyone and made him a natural leader. He was a motivated, focused kid who knew what he wanted, but came from an environment where no one really cared or provided support. He was NOT a shy, introverted pathetic case. He just came from a terrible domestic environment and found stability with a nice rich family. The real story of Michael Oher is how he caught the luckiest of breaks and escaped the ghetto jungle and was able to leave all that soul crushing crap behind, and focus on academics and athletics in a completely different upper middle class environment. It's a study in how important environment is in the life of kids and teenagers, and how it can make a huge difference.

But what we, the audience, receive is a Hallmark channel film that is nothing more than a lazy, formulaic, fictionalized "warm your heart" chick flick couched in a football world. Sassy dialogue, woman-takes-charge scenes, tender moments, etc -- all the usual stuff is there. The film would have been FAR better had it focused on Oher as the lead character, instead of Bullock. No offense to Bullock, who is a fine actor.

It is well known that real life Michael Oher was very displeased with this film, and how it portrayed him.
42 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than I thought
momomomomo21 November 2009
I've been reading lot of horrible comments that are based solely on the issues surrounding the movie rather than the movie itself. I wasn't excited to see this movie, I'm not interested in sports at all. The movie kept my attention though and well. It moved along quickly and pulled me into the story and left me feeling inspired. I wasn't excited to see a blonde sandy bullock in a sports movie, I think that's what might have turned me off the most, but she did really good job! It's rare to see a movie where there's a really strong lead female character. Whether you like Leigh Anne Touhy or not in the end, she is certainly entertaining and Sandra Bullock does a great job of bringing her onto the screen. The youngest son did an amazing job! So much talent in him. The character of Mike I think could have used a few more lines, even if he's supposed to be shy and reserved. All the actors really did a great job though for the most part. No it's not an epic Oscar winning film, although I wouldn't be surprised if Bullock got nominated for something for her acting. It is NOT loaded with propaganda as the other reviews might suggest. It's a light entertaining pick me up film that would be an excellent choice to bring the family to, most likely the reason why they released it over the Holidays.
149 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very well done!
jeremyscates20 November 2009
I don't usually feel the need to leave comments, but this movie was just to well done not to. I went in expecting more football, more hits & highlights & as a huge football fan that was one of the main draws of the movie. The football actually takes a back seat to a wonderful story that is well executed by everyone involved. I've always thought Sandra Bulluck has been over-rated, but she nails this role & deserves some recognition down the road. The movie is so fantastic that anyone and everyone can relate and feel connected to the characters. The ideal target audience for this movie is children and adults alike. This movie should be an Oscar contender but I know these types of movies rarely ever win. Definitely deserves my vote!
249 out of 359 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Skillful, compassionate and dignified portrayal of an amazing, true personal drama
tinanwoods1 November 2009
I have just returned from seeing the blind side. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, particularly it's more poignant moments. Yes, this is a sports story, yes this is a biopic, but it is also in large part an interpersonal drama. It is rare to see a movie these days that relies on drama to carry it-not special effects, lush historically accurate wardrobe, or astounding make up- just a story that resonates with the viewer. That this story is based on contemporary facts makes it all the more resonant. Events that might have been handled superficially, predictably or exploited for dramatic purposes were instead presented in a nuanced and profound manner. Michael's biological mother was portrayed with dignity and compassion. In short, the aspects of Michael's story that make it moving and inspiring were captured with skill and integrity. As for the negative feedback regarding this movie that began when the only the trailers were available - I think the comments might be more a reflection of the world view of the authors rather than a reflection of the quality of the movie or the reality of Michael's story. Some people think the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" was a story about racism in the south, or that "The Crying Game" was a movie about the IRA - to me those were the settings for the drama, and not the drama itself. John Lee Hancock really bit off a lot when he took on this project-but as it turned out, it was not more than he could chew. Remember when Attorney General Eric Holder commented on how we were a nation of cowards when it came to openly discussing race? With this movie, Hancock has demonstrated he is not one of those cowards. He did not ignore the racial or class differences of the characters in this movie, and he avoided using the movie to make a social statement with the movie. He allowed these character attributes to be what they were in reality, and told the human drama in an effective and sensitive manner.
186 out of 273 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My take on the Michael Oher story
Chris-53815 November 2009
I'm a sports snob. I strongly believe there's only a handful of truly great sports movies. It's just too difficult for filmmakers to recreate the drama that takes place on the field. So when the Creative Loafers at asked me to review The Blind Side, a sports movie I would never see,starring an actress I really don't like, I was skeptical. But they promised me Jujubees, so I agreed to attend the premiere.

I fell into my comfy leather chair at the Cobb Theater Cinebistro in Wesley Chapel, fully expecting to pan everything about the movie. Then a strange thing happened. The film turned out to be pretty good.

Blind Side is adapted from Michael Lewis' novel of the same name. Just like the book, the film begins with a narrative of the game in which Lawrence Taylor broke Joe Theismann's leg. According to Lewis, that hit more than any other moment in football history, heightened the need for a strong, left tackle to protect the quarterback's blind side.

Enter the Michael Oher story.

Oher (Quinton Aaron) is an over-sized, high school kid from Memphis' inner city with no academic records and a crack addict for a mother. He is accepted into a local Christian high school when the football coach recognizes his potential.

Early scenes at Wingate Christian High School depict Oher as uncomfortable and intimidated in his new, mostly white surroundings. One teacher describes him as 'a fly in the milk.' Oher never says much, most of his expressions portrayed through mopey, facial gestures. Aaron's performance isn't groundbreaking, unless of course Oher didn't say much in real life. If that's the case, his performance is dead on.

After their youngest son (Jae Head) befriends Oher, Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy (Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw), stumble upon Oher one afternoon roaming the streets, avoiding return to his crime-ridden projects. They welcome him into their home to sleep on their sofa for a night, which becomes a week, which ultimately becomes a legal adoption.

Despite Oher's poor grades, school administrators find that he excels in one capacity. He scores a 98% in protective instincts on a high school aptitude test.

The Tuohy's, a well-to-do, Southern Republican family with a strong allegiance to Ole Miss, hire a private tutor (Kathy Bates) to help Oher with his academic troubles. Once getting good enough grades to make the football team, Oher has trouble adjusting to the brutality of the sport. It's not until Bullock compares protecting his quarterback to the affection he feels for his new family that Oher finally understands his purpose on the field.

The word gets out about Oher eventually when a top scout is sent a DVD of his skills. Suddenly, major college coaches flock to recruit him. Sports fans will enjoy cameos from Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville, Phillip Fulmer, Lou Holtz and Houston Nutt, although LSU fans will cringe seeing Saban wearing purple once again.

The only problem is Oher is failing English, which makes him academically ineligible to receive a football scholarship. It's not until McGraw recites "The Charge of the Light Brigade" that Oher learns about courage, honor and ultimately passes another difficult test: his final English essay.

Oher decides to enroll at Ole Miss, which draws an NCAA investigation to ensure the Tuohy family did not tamper with his decision. Oher buys into it, then lashes out at Bullock, accusing her of taking him in just to get him to go to their alma mater. A resentful and confused Oher returns to the projects in search of his real mom, then busts up the local gangster's home, a scene which probably warrants the film's PG-13 rating.

Little by little, the audience is allowed a peek into Oher's upbringing, not a pretty picture, probably less so in real life. The film features several touching moments such as when the Tuohy's drop Oher off at college or when Bullock confronts Oher's real mother, who can barely remember which man was his biological father.

The film has its share of trite, Hollywood moments including McGraw and Bullock's designer marriage in which they never argue, Bullock telling off her country club friends in a moment of racial enlightenment, phoning the football coach from the sidelines to call in plays and Oher getting flagged in his opening game for 'excessive blocking.' Blind Side also glosses over several racial and class stereotypes, careful to equally bash Democrats, rednecks and Southerners. The film also provides several moments of comic relief in the form of McGraw's occasional one-liners that help to break up the film's drama.

Without reading Lewis' book or knowing the complete Oher history, one might think the film is overdramatized, until the closing credits which show a sequence of real pictures of Oher being raised by Tuohy family. They remind us that Blind Side is not only based on a true story, it is a true story.

Blind Side won't go down in the annals as the greatest sports movie ever made but it does have its moments. It's a touching depiction of what can result when some, give others, a fighting chance.

102 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Humorous, heartwarming, and satisfying
Howard Schumann28 March 2010
In the fact-based film The Blind Side, a burly homeless black teenager Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) is taken in by the family of Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock), a spunky white Christian mother of two and assisted through school until he achieves success as a football player in high school and college, eventually being drafted in the first round by the professional Baltimore Ravens. The film, written and directed by John Lee Hancock and adapted from a book by Michael Lewis, is undemanding entertainment that lacks a great deal of subtlety but is continuously entertaining and emotionally involving and redefines the true meaning of family values.

Michael who is known initially as "Big Mike" has been abandoned by his drug-addicted mother and survives in the slums of Memphis, Tennessee only by his wits. He sleeps where he can find a warm place -- a friend's couch, a Laundromat, a school gym -- when a family friend intervenes and helps him enroll in a private Christian high school. Sensing the boys' potential, football coach Cotton (Ray McKinnon) convinces the administrators of the school to admit him although he knows that he will not be eligible to play football unless he can keep up his grades. Seeing Michael alone wandering the streets, he is given a lift and taken home and made a member of the family by Leigh Anne, an interior designer who lives with her husband Sean (Tim McGraw), teenage daughter Collins (Lily Collins), and SJ (Jae Head) an expressive little boy who provides most of the film's comic moments.

Living with the Tuohy family allows Michael to learn to trust and to begin to express some of his feelings from a life of poverty and neglect. Michael who is so big that Leigh Anne can hardly find any clothes to buy for him is also gentle and lacks the killer instinct required of a football tackle. Tutored by the adorable SJ and counseled by Leigh Anne to view the team as a family he has to protect, Michael begins to develop his aggressiveness as a left tackle and develops his skills, eventually turning the team into winners. To raise his grades to be eligible for a college scholarship, the Tuohys hire Miss Sue, remarkably performed by Kathy Bates, who admits to the Republican family that she is a Democrat, prompting Sean to remark that he "never thought they would have a black son before they met a Democrat." Besides his grades, however, Michael must overcome several more obstacles that stand in his way before he can enter college.

The Blind Side shows Michael Oher achieving a transformation in his life based on his relationship with the family who took him and nurtured him to independence and self-respect. Sandra Bullock delivers an emotionally resonant performance as a woman whose life is enriched by her simple act of kindness and courage to act from her values. While the film breaks no new ground stylistically, it also resists genre clichés, has no movie villains, avoids cheap sentiment, and, in spite of patronizing images in its trailers and advertising posters, is a humorous, heartwarming, and satisfying experience. Ultimately, The Blind Side is not a film about sports but about the rewards of showing love and support when it is not always accepted or understood by the community.
47 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic, heartwarming, fun and emotional.
dbutrfli21 November 2009
I just saw The Blind Side last night. As I have read even if you are not a football fan you'll like this movie. I am not a football fan (baseball is my sport) but I loved it!!! So many great performances by the actors. A charming story with laughs and tears. How nice to have a positive movie this time of the year especially. Everybody MUST see this movie. Quinton Aaron does a fantastic job of playing Michael Oher. In the early scenes he has no dialog, but expresses so much just with is eyes and facial expressions. Jae Head is charming as the young "brother" S.J. Camped up I am sure, but I go to the movies to entertained which the movie does in spades! Sandra Bullock as I have never seen her before, does a wonderful job, so different that the other roles she has had in the past. And Ray McKinnon as the coach has some expressions that John Lee Hancock should be awarded for his direction.
123 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bullock's Masterpiece
J_Trex27 November 2009
I don't think I've seen a Bullock movie since "Speed" that didn't leave me watching my cell phone for the time. Her movies have been pretty awful and worth skipping. Not this one. The story received a lot of press and one has to give her much credit for snapping up the rights to it. She also did a fabulous job as the heroine. I was simply amazed. It was really one of the most amazing career rehabilitations since Travolta in "Pulp Fiction".

I loved the story. It is a genuinely heartwarming tale of an abandoned teenager adopted by a wealthy family and guided to success. And it's all true. This is what make me love movies. What a great film! Go see this movie. I loved it and so will you.
140 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another inspirational sport film
cokiwa18 November 2009
I saw this last night at a screening and found it to be a very inspiring movie. I love sports movies as well as movies based on true stories, so this film hit multiple buttons for me personally, but reactions of others leaving the theater seemed equally positive.

As with any sports movie, you must have an underdog to cheer for, and Michael Oher is that underdog. Having been removed by CPS from his crack-addicted mother's home as a child and bounced from foster home to foster home, Oher has been staying on a friend's couch. He is reluctantly accepted to a private school when the football coach sees potential in him and pressures the school's admissions board to give him a chance.

Unfortunately, being an undereducated black youth in a predominantly white private school doesn't magically turn his life around, and in addition to struggling to understand his classes, he finds himself sleeping in an all night laundromat after the stay at the friend's house ends. While walking on a cold, rainy night , Oher is offered a ride and then a place to sleep for the night by the Leigh Anne Tuohy, whose children attend the same school Michael does. It's this single act of kindness that begins a chain of events that will change this underdog's life, eventually resulting in his being a top 2009 NFL draft pick and signing with the Baltimore Ravens.

The actors brought plenty of life to the characters they were playing. It was a pleasure to watch Tim McGraw as Sean Tuohy, making a somewhat minor character in the film memorable. Sandra Bullock's portrayal of Leigh Anne Tuohy was fascinating--I'd really love to meet Mrs. Tuohy in person. Jae Head as SJ became my favorite character in the movie, practically stealing the show as it were. Quinton Aaron's portrayal of Oher leans heavily to the strong, silent type, but there is a quiet grace and gentleness that comes through.

Obviously, nothing is quite as slick and clean as Hollywood plays it in movies like this, and there were issues and controversies surrounding the Tuohy family and the assistance they offered Michael Oher. Some of it is depicted in the movie, though not all, and there are many who will decry this film for that. It's a given that there is more to a story than what you see on the screen...condensing years into a two hour presentation requires some compromise...and it is meant to be entertainment after all.

I only had a couple criticisms. One, at 126 minutes, the movie was a little too long. I think 8-10 minutes of editing would have really tightened it up and eliminated a couple slower moments. Second, Sandra Bullock's accent seemed a little too forced at times. And finally, what happened to Steve Hamilton, the boy whose family Michael was staying with when he started attending Briarwood? Once introduced as his father pressures the coach for scholarships for Steve and Michael, he disappears from the movie. Minor issues that didn't keep this from being an extremely enjoyable movie, but did help keep it from being a perfect 10.
72 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A blind man can tell that this is a great film.
DarkVulcan2929 November 2009
Nice to see Sandra Bullock come back after the cinematic travesty, called All About Steve(2009). This was a well made film, perfectly filmed,and great performances by everybody.

Leigh Ann Tuohy(Sandra Bullock), seems to have the life most women would envy, a wonderful supporting husband(Tim Mcgraw), and two great kids(Lily Collins and Jae Head). But one day while driving home, she sees, a larger then life teenager which everybody calls Big Mike(Quinton Aaron), when she tries to talk to him, he comes across as a little withdrawn, and is nearly homeless, she decides to take him in, with her supporting family behind her. Leigh finds out his name is Michael Oher, and tries to dig up things about his past, in hopes of helping him, but the question is will she?

I really liked this film, it manages to balance humor and drama perfectly. Sandra Bullock gave quite a strong performance, so Quinton Aaron, Lyn Collin, but Jae Head is quite the scene stealer. It also has a good football scene as well. And Kathy Bates is good in her supporting role also. I say see The Blind Side.
103 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Feel-good Racism For the Whole (White) Family
Paul7 September 2010
The Blind Side is not simply a painfully bad movie. It is an insult and a sugar-coated fraud.

Based on a "true" story, it is the tale of a rich white couple in Memphis (Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy) who find a poor black kid named Michael, and take him into their home. They buy him food and clothes, and pay for a personal tutor. They even buy him a brand new pick-up truck! Ultimately, they become the boy's legal guardians. Why? Well, like most other Southern Republicans, they just love poor black people! Well, maybe not ALL poor black people… Michael happens to be massive – designed by God himself to be a star offensive lineman, bound for Division I football glory and even the NFL. And the good-hearted Tuohys happen to be obsessive fans of Ole Miss football. And coincidentally, after being adopted and showered with gifts from these Ole Miss boosters, Michael ends up attending Ole Miss on a football scholarship.

No one thinks there is anything strange about this. Except the meanies at the NCAA, who question whether the Tuohy's love and monetary gifts might have influenced Michael's choice of school. Fortunately, the meanies are quickly proved wrong. There were no recruiting violations – the Tuohys simply love poor black people. Too bad they couldn't buy trucks for all the other poor black boys and girls. Just didn't get around to it, I guess.

My main problem with this film is that it is a sweet, sugar-frosted lie that makes us whiteys feel all yummy and sparkly inside. We are supposed to believe that the Tuohys are just such lovely people that they adopt random black boys. We are not supposed to question their motives. It would have been a much better film if the Tuohys had admitted that they first brought Michael into their home because they hoped he would go to Ole Miss, but then once they got to know him they began to truly care for him. But no - we are supposed to believe that they loved him like a son the minute they laid eyes on his hulking body. Puh-lease.

Centered around this absurd premise, the rest of the movie should make any intelligent viewer cringe. The comedic lines are at the level of a television commercial. They revolve around the Tuohy's precocious freckle-faced son, S.J., who whips Michael into shape, can sing every word to Young MC's "Bust a Move", and uses hard-ball negotiation tactics when dealing with college football coaches. How darling! But beyond being fake and corny, The Blind Side is also quite racist. We are told that big Michael fared poorly on his academic tests, but scored in the 98th percentile in "protective instincts." I was not aware that "protective instincts" are tested in school. In any case, when Michael (at first) shows no aptitude for football, Leigh Anne tells him to imagine that the quarterback is her (sweet, white Leigh Anne) – realizing that the dumb brute's instinct to protect white women would translate into protecting the quarterback. Guess what - it works! This house negro would do anything to protect his white sugar mama! You may wonder: does Michael have a birth mother that he might care about? Actually, yes, but she is a crackhead who lives in the projects. And in case you were wondering if she wants him back – no, she doesn't! She is actually very grateful that the Tuohys have taken her son away to a better life among rich white people, far away from her and the other drug-addicted blacks. Yay! God bless America, Republicans, rich white people, and Mississippi football! You betcha.
71 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of my top 5 movies of '09.
Cassandramork22 November 2009
This movie was amazing and it gives you so much. Sandra bullock's performance was great, I would actually go so far as saying it was her best ever. I really think she might get an Oscar for it this year. The real Leigh Anne was born just so that Sandra Bullock could play her in this movie. She was dead on throughout the whole movie. If you haven't seen it you have to. I usually get really bored watching true life stories but this one kept me interested thru out the whole movie. If there was such a thing as a perfect movie, this would be it. Great plot, Amazing actors, Talented directors, etc. Go and see it. And I really think both men and women will like this one. It has a very sensitive touch but still it has a lot of funny moments and it has football in it. 10 out of 10.
117 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Who knows if that guy even wanted to play football?!
thesubstream8 December 2009
There's a word that I learned listening to smart people talk about issues and subtext and social justice and post-modernism: "problematic". When a person has a problem with something like a video game or capitalism or the way coffee gets to my house, when they think it's bad or wrong or unfair but don't actually have a solution or better, correct, more fair idea in mind, things are "problematic". They have the aura of a problem. There's a whiff of trouble, a little stinky hint.

John Lee Hancock's The Blind Side is problematic. The film stars Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw as the Tuohys, and Quinton Aaron as Michael Oher, their leviathan adopted son. The film is based on the book of the same name, which details in part the story of how Oher, abandoned by a crack-addict mother and homeless as a high-school sophomore, came to live with and be adopted by the blindingly white, incredibly rich Republican Tuohy family, who helped him eventually make it to the NFL as an offensive linesman.

In the film as in reality, the NCAA had legitimate concerns about the Tuohy's actions re: Oher, suggesting that perhaps they, as massive boosters for Ole Miss football had taken him in and hired him a professional tutor in the hopes that they could convince him, prodigiously gifted as he was athletically, to play for their alma mater, which he eventually did. The film handles this question as if it were a legitimate puzzle, as if the actions of the Tuohys are beyond their own ken – Bullock's Leigh Ann asks her husband at one point, "Am I a good person?" Oher in the film is just as puzzled. He has no idea of their motivations, because he is an inarticulate mass, a giant silent looming prop, the obelisk against which the Tuohys can attempt to effect their idea of Christian charity. He's not quite Michael Clark Duncan's obsequious blubbering Magic Black Man from The Green Mile, but he's close enough. To the white, southern Tuohys, to his white coaches and teammates, he's an unfathomable, totemic, black force that might have been dredged up from the bottom of the ocean. What everyone does see, instantaneously, is that he is large, strong and fast, so they without even bothering to ask turn him into a football player. Leigh Ann is asked at one point in the film if what she's doing is out of white guilt, and it's clearly not. The film, though, is going to make a lot of guilty-feeling white people very happy. That's problematic.

What rescues the film from complete collapse is the performance of Sandra Bullock. It's a rare gift for an actor to be able to do work that seems to be a conscious decision on the part of the performer to work to make the film better. Bullock's performance is not just razor-sharp and subtle, it seems calculated, it seems like she as an actress recognized the inherent problems in her character and in the way the film is put together and worked in her performance to correct those problems. Her performance is superb. In every scene in which the film could or would dip into maudlin sentimentality and pathetic white-people-saving-black-people (as long as they're athletic and will help the team full of white people win) sludge, she's a little frosted-haired scalpel, cutting through the dross. Unfortunately the film has scenes without her in it, and those are often terrible.

Ultimately, the film does to Oher what the Tuohys did to him. He never speaks about his relationship with the family outside of a few pithy one-liners and smiles. He's never allowed to be articulate about his background, or goals, or disappointments. He's a prop moved around at will by people motivated by a weird combination of religious and athletic morality, a giant instinctual force, aimed by anyone but himself and unleashed. It's not quite offensive, I don't think, but it certainly is problematic. 4/10
52 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lala Land and Fakery
che_kiwi20 February 2010
I endured this movie wondering How on earth the scriptwriters were able to come up with such fakery! The fact the Sandra Bullock has been lauded for her role in the movie is no surprise given that she is basically the only character with more that a few lines in the movie, she does do a good job, but it wasn't 'outstanding'. Another reason to question the script is the lack of dialogue of the main protagonist - Michael. He is written into the movie as a chap with low IQ and almost mute - now, given that the actual young man is intelligent and a fantastic sportsman, I don't understand why he is portrayed in such a dim light - it actually comes across as racially condescending. On this note, we almost turned the movie off due to it's many cringeworthy moments such as the portrayal of racial differences (the 'oh-my god it's s bunch of black guys smoking pot' scene, stepford wives lunches- so perfectly perfect it is hideous-they even bicker perfectly, the fact that the house is portrayed as being HUGE but they only had room enough for Michael to sleep on the $10,000 sofa, (I could go on...) Though is was so cringy - it bought us much mirth after the movie in acting-out these ridiculous scenes again. Watch the movie if you like to be taken to lala land and enjoy life as fakery. Avoid like the plague if you prefer the scratched, worn, real-spirited portrayal of authenticity. (why oh why did Kathy Bates act in this two bit role?)
67 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
White Savior Rides Again
aedine3511 May 2010
Only a public that has been spoon-fed sugar-coated realities for many years could possibly find anything of merit in this incredibly insipid Disney tale for (white) adults. The horror, the horror, indeed (to quote a previous reviewer, who I believe was quoting a far better film).

I usually tend to review here only when I feel compelled to warn others of the pitfall into which I have fallen, or to cast my vote on a site I frequently use for its prognostic value. This was never truer than with this film (as of this review, 7.7 stars?!?!) I confess that I watched this pap even despite grave misgivings, and I can assure you that all my worst doubts were quickly confirmed!

I happen to love underdog sports films - a plentiful genre - so I had to see why this one had become so popular - what hidden nuggets of wisdom were missing from the previews? The answer: no nuggets, no history lesson, no novelty, no great acting (in fact, rather bad acting on the part of the husband and son), no insight - just the most insanely offensive and nauseating drivel I have seen in a very long time. And somehow people love it and call it "feel-good!" I call it feel-bad, because I felt very uncomfortable, and my discomfort was not temporarily relieved with the distraction of great action sequences, such as with the similarly white-savior themed Avatar (as if seeing a soldier betray and kill his own species in his own unit was not disturbing enough).

So what is so great about The Blind Side? Are there deeper meanings I am not understanding? If you want to truly understand how the legacy of slavery still plays out in the lives of modern day black Americans, get to know one! Or to better understand race relations in the U.S., read Obama's book "Dreams of My Father." Sure, it's nice that this lady and her family were so generous to a strange black kid, but why make a movie out of it? (Or even a book?) I hazard to say that this kind of story has countless permutations in the black community, where father-less or mother-less kids get taken in by an often equally disadvantaged family that does not happen to live in a mansion and purchase all their meals pre-cooked because they are too busy out shopping for the perfect window valance. So what makes this story so special? Because it resulted in a college scholarship? Or because it was a white family that adopted Big John?

For me the only truly poignant moment in the whole film is the scene with John's biological mother - a central moment in the film that is, sadly, all too brief. Here we see a woman who has survived unknown myriad personal and societal obstacles, but who can still show the strength and grace enough to be polite to this unfriendly, pushy white woman sitting in her living room and demanding answers. Other than this scene I cringed and groaned the whole way through - something that I'd probably do while viewing any schmalz of this type, but there's something more egregious about this particular schmalz being sold. Maybe I just can't stand having my intelligence insulted by cute one-liners and happy endings about what are really important and serious issues our nation should confront. Maybe Hollywood is dumbing down movies more than ever to reach the widest possible audience and bring in more revenue - I don't know, but whatever the reason for its creation or success, this film has no social value in my view whatsoever.

So if you are a fan of good films and good film-making, you'll no doubt already have known better and avoided this film - despite the bizarre accolades from the Academy and the public. Likewise, if you understand that racism and addiction, poverty and capitalism are all pieces of the same puzzle, you'll definitely want to steer clear of this. I would personally prefer to watch Brian's Song (maybe even the remake of Brian's Song) a thousand times over.
41 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A made-for-TV movie that somehow wandered into the "Best Picture" category
Superlove9997 March 2010
This movie could have been interesting. We could have learned all about the issues Michael Oher had to overcome in order to get to where he is today. We could have viewed his struggles up close, seen accounts of his rough past, and caught deep insight into his personality for an intimate portrait of the obstacles that too many American children face.

Instead, the plot of "The Blind Side" went something like this: Lee Ann Tuohy is a wonderful person who does wonderful things. And some more wonderful things. And continues to do nothing but wonderful, wonderful things without any sort of real conflict, internal or otherwise. As a commenter on the message boards brilliantly put it, Michael Oher was a supporting character in his own damn story. "The Blind Side" was so self-righteous and self-congratulatory, it made me nauseous.

I could probably type forever about the problems I had with this movie, but for the sake of brevity, here are some points:

• Why didn't the screenwriter take advantage of the MYRIAD of engaging topics that could have been explored in this movie? And I don't just mean race (although I was quite disappointed by it not actually being addressed). What about the kinds of psychological issues that adopted kids face all the time? Abandonment issues? Problems adjusting to the family dynamic? Survivor's Guilt? And did anyone in the rest of the Tuohey family experience apprehension about having a complete stranger stay in their house? Was there jealousy? Sibling rivalry? Oh wait, exploring those kinds of issues would have taken time away from showcasing what a wonderful, wonderful person Leigh Ann was.

• There's a very brief part in the film where Michael runs into his estranged brother. They embrace for a long time, but we don't hear anything they say to each other. Then he disappears, never to be mentioned again for the rest of the movie. What gives? What was his story? Why hadn't Michael seen him in so long? Where was he living? Would they ever see each other again? And what about the rest of Michael's background? We're only given vague details and momentary flashes. Why don't we actually get to learn about him, his past and his personality? Oh wait, that would have taken time away from showcasing what a wonderful, wonderful person Leigh Ann was.

• Okay, one of my biggest pet peeves in film is when little kids talk like adults. As far as I'm concerned, S.J. gets the brass ring in that department. He was seriously one of the most annoying creatures I've ever, ever seen on a movie screen. I wanted to punch him in the throat the second he delivered his first spoken line.

• I understand the concept of suspended disbelief. And if this movie had been a bit better, I would have been able to do just that. But come on, do they expect me to believe that Michael's poverty-stricken drug-addicted mother was not only lucid and coherent, but had perfect alabaster-white teeth? And really, a bunch of armed-to-the-teeth gang members living in the projects were intimidated into silence by a rich white lady? Are you kidding me?

And since it's fresh in my mind...

• When compared to the caliber of performances of the other actresses, I can't believe the academy gave Sandra Bullock the Best Actress Oscar. What a joke.

Long story short (too late), stay away. Unless you enjoy vomiting.
74 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Angeneer19 March 2010
This is a dumbed down excuse of a movie. Honestly, I felt a physical assault on my brain cells. Obviously the producers are trying to target the Christian republican rednecks, who ironically, will probably not like it anyway. For the rest of us, it is simply unbearable to watch.

I like Sandra Bullock. No I really do. But it is completely beyond me how she got an Oscar for such an awful movie. Is portraying a stereotypical character with corny lines worthy of an Oscar? Is delivering the clichés we've seen hundreds of times before worthy an Oscar?

I feel sorry for my lost time watching this, although thankfully it was just on the plane, so I didn't pay a cent.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sandra giving a terrible performance?
Michael Pacino29 March 2016
If you believe Sandra bullock gave a terrible performance then please tell me how? Is it she lacks depth, or character building. Well of course not she does that. Do you hate it because she's playing a stereotypical Hollywood mother in your opinion? Ding ding ding! So your ranking her performance as bad because it's stereotypical? Because if she is she's doing it fantastically! You're not ranking her based on her performance you're ranking her because it's a Hollywood stereotype. So shut up! As I recall people are truly to rank performances based on the quality of their performance and not some crappy stereotype. If you think you can do better then her then by all means go do better then Sandra Bullock.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shades of Walt Disney
graham clarke13 March 2010
This relentlessly feel good movie strives and succeeds in all it sets out to do. It reassures us all that not only is all well with the world, it really is a pretty wonderful place. Walt Disney would be proud.

Disney's family fare of the sixties portrayed characters as totally one dimensional. The mean were mean, the kind were kind, etc. etc. Characters simply had no inner conflicts or doubts. Audiences, particularly children, found this spoon fed story telling very enjoyable. If only life were that simple.

Well in "The Blind Side" life is that simple. The characters in the movie are unashamedly one dimensional. This good natured family doesn't bat an eyelid about taking in an underprivileged over-sized young black teenager into their smart home. They might as well have picked up a stray pet. Those squeaky clean smiling children take to Big Mike from the projects without a hint of hesitation.

There is nothing wrong with movies reaffirming the basic goodness of mankind. God knows there are enough that have succeeded in proving the opposite. But pandering to the need to believe in such goodness in such a simplistic, needless to say, unrealistic manner is misguided. It's making us feel good at the cost of integrity - and succeeding.

Sandra Bullock does with the role exactly what she's demanded to do and that really is not very much in the way of an acting stretch. We've seen her good nature shine numerous times before. Why this time it garnered her an Oscar is very probably as she herself put it, she

simply wore them down.
35 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sandra Bullock as Saint Sandra Bullock In A Terrific TV Movie
wlawson605 February 2010
I must confess I was weeping 5 minutes into the movie and that's unusual for me. I had read the book and in the book nothing is that black or that white for that matter, but this is as movie and as a movie it works. I was expecting commercial interruptions every few minutes, the film felt so much like a TV movie. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. The Michael Oher story had to be told even with the poetic licenses that the film takes, shamelessly. Sandra Bullock plays herself beautifully as always and her character with all her saintly stern, southern modern American woman could not move away too far from "Miss Congeniality". But it works and at the end of the day, after paying the prices one pays at the box office, it's almost enough. Why they had to ruin it with an Oscar nomination? The nomination makes you look for something in her performance that clearly isn't there. If you go to a Sandra Bullock movie, the quality of the movie may vary but she is always terrific, playing that Sandra Bullock character. Good for her.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a Piece of Crap
jaguar-2813 March 2010
I walked into this movie with high hopes. After seeing a wave of violent, depressing movies, (Precious, Hurt Locker, to name a couple) I was finally ready to see an insightful, uplifting, intelligent movie.

I was terribly disappointed.

The Blind Side was not only bad, it was offensive. It is full of melodrama, stupid clichés and unrealistic events.

Take the scene where Leigh Anne is looking for Michael and she is talking to the guys Michael just had a fight with, and she say, "You listen to me, bitch," and then goes off on an angry rant, and the guys just sit there and seem scared.

Yeah, right.

Another problem with the film is the way it treats black people. They are portrayed either as drug addicted monsters or as helpless, infantile idiots.

Two thumbs down for Blind Side.
54 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
jgregg4220 November 2009
OK, OK, so I was your typical reviewer who saw the trailers to "The Blind Side" and expected another football movie where a "one-in-a-million shot" with a lot of heart goes on to win the Super Bowl or national championship. And, when everything was said and done I would come home and write a review using the words "tear jerker" or "uplifting" or "scores a touchdown." Then I started to write this review and realized that it was all of those things plus a lot more.

"The Blind Side" is the story of Michael Oher, (played by Quinton Aaron), a teenager from a broken home with a troubled past who goes onto become an NFL draft pick. His story, as portrayed in this particular film, is not about how he laid awake every night dreaming of someday playing in the NFL. In fact, the NFL was only mentioned at the end of the movie where it actually showed the real Michael Oher being drafted by the Baltimore Ravens. This movie was all about the journey.

It starts with Sandra Bullock's character, Leigh Anne Touhy, narrating and describing the importance of an offensive tackle (something I knew very little about) and moves into Michael being allowed a shot to go to a private school in Memphis. The young man does have a rough life, pretty much homeless, no family, no friends and extremely introverted. By fate, Leigh and her family take Michael in for a night and they become his surrogate parents for a while. They clothe him and shelter him and help him bring his grades up in school.

All along, Michael isn't saying more than a few words at a time. I think this was the strong area of the movie. This gentle giant brought out the best intentions around a lot of the characters in the story. We've all seen the football movies where the gifted athlete comes in and says a lot of smart-ass lines then butts heads with the coach and realizes he needs to listen in order to learn. Well, this movie takes a different approach (and since it was based on a true story I think this was the only approach he had to work with). Michael kept quiet most of the time and the people around him learned a lot about helping another human being.

Should you see this movie? Definitely. Yes. Even if you think you have seen this football formula before, you haven't. The movie used comedy to bring it to life. It used Michael's silence at the right times to make it stick. They thought this movie through before they started filming. Why else should you see it? Because it was an uplifting, tearjerker that will score a touchdown. (There, I typed the words and I enjoyed doing it).
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why do people like this movie?
Kevin22529 May 2010
I am absolutely shocked.....and not in a good way. Has American cinema fallen so far that we can consider this monstrosity even an "average" movie at best? The story was utterly predictable and failed to instill any sense of surprise in any moments. From the first twenty minutes, you could predict the course of the plot if you'd seen any kind of "inspirational" sports movie. The characters were no better. Tim Mcgraw faded into the wallpaper about a third of the way through the movie, and I was about ready to hurl a brick at my TV just so I could pretend I was throwing a real one at SJ. The character of Michael Oher seemed like a baby made from the genes of Forrest Gump and John Coffey, with a touch of Radio, but I'll give the actor pity points for effort. My greatest contempt, however, goes towards Sandra Bullock. I honestly think she did a better job in "All About Steve". She seems like an amalgamation of the "rough on the players cuz I love 'em" coaches you see in every other generic sports movie, only with estrogen and a TERRIBLY faked southern accent. I was shocked when they chose her for the Oscar over Gabourey Sidibe, who, unlike Bullock, seems to know one or two things about ACTING. All in all, if you're going to watch this movie, I suggest you drink heavily beforehand so you don't have to comprehend the awfulness of this "film"
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Based on true story doesn't mean it's a good story
electronsexparty30 November 2009
Here's a movie that panders to gun-toting dickish Southern "Christian" Republicans. You know, the kind who cry when Glenn Beck tells them to and who think Jesus carried a .22 and shot the poor lepers and prostitutes off his doorstep while shouting that NRA membership and his gun are GOD GIVEN RIGHTS and ain't no n----r in the WHITE House gunna take 'em.

The Michael Oher in the movie has no voice and soul, he's just a empty vessel for a rich white family to project their fantasies upon. He's a stray they the found shivering in the cold and the rain and decided to keep instead taking to the pound the next day.

They found a big, dumb black kid and decided he should play football despite the fact he didn't like playing and wasn't very good at it besides his size. They use sick psychology to trick him into wanting to play and trick him into wanting to play for the family's Alma mater too. When college recruiters come to woo the family and beg to borrow their prized horse to put their jockey on, the family realizes that their dumb pet better study up because he won't be able to play unless he has a 2.5 GPA. His academics don't mater until his low grades mean he can't play college ball. So, they hire Kathy Bates who is, regrettably, a baby-killing, God-less democrat (but is still a graduate of the family's Alma mater) to teach Hans to be clever and count enough apples to be allowed to play.

But, the evil NCAA hears of their plan and calls them out on it. Nothing comes of the investigation though, because Michael decides that he'd rather be a pet of a rich family that be no one's pet at all and covers for them.

And, they all live happily ever after. The rich white family who had everything now have everything and fame and the big black kid gets to play football for his sponsors' Alma mater. The movie ends saying: You know, lots of black kids get killed in ghettos everyday. Why can't they play sports instead? The movie is racist and disgusting. it's a movie that says, loudly, "Hey! Look! I'm a rich white woman who taught this dumb, poor black kid to play sports! Ain't I good person?" And the crowds respond in kind, "Yes, you are a good person. Black people are poor, dumb and naturally good at sports. You gave him what he needed. Good for you!"

It's sick.
35 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie was great, and heart warming
dawn080821 November 2009
The movie looked like it was going to be boring the first five minutes but did a 360 after a few minutes. It was heart warming, loving, full of action and funny. It is one of the best movie I have seen the whole year.Tim Mcgraw was great in it and Sandra Bullock was excellent although I never liked her acting.Dhe was great in it. The other actors were great too and funny. It had football, and Tim Mcgraw so thats why I choose to see it but turned out to be so more better than I thought. I choose this movie over twight and I am glad I did. It was truly a great movie to take the kids or dates too. It is a great movie for girls and guys because it has mix of girly and guy moments. I truly am surprised how good it really was. What a great decision seeing this movie!
44 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this