IMDb > "Viva Laughlin" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Viva Laughlin" More at IMDbPro »

Laughlin Laughable

Author: bobromoff from United States
8 January 2008

I live close enough to the real Laughlin to be able to spend lots of time there, and so I was looking forward to this series. But what a joke! It was obvious that nothing was filmed there, except a few establishing shots of the Colorado Belle. I also laughed at references to 'Laughlin PD' (the town is considered a rural area and is served by Las Vegas Police) and especially the aged boyfriend introduced as 'a professor at the University'. Um...would this be Bullhead Community College, the closest thing to higher learning and a considerable distance across the river? It follows that I was so very disappointed at the lack of realism. This is Laughlin! Where are the queues of old people waiting for the buffet to open? Where are the chain-smoking old ladies with their key rings full of players cards? The folks hooked both to their oxygen and their slot machines dropping their dollars? The man arguing that his two-for-one should be valid at weekends? Thinking about it, I lament the show's cancellation; sometimes something so bad is actually quite good - for laughs.

Awful version of a great show

Author: from United States
6 February 2008

It is amazing how terrible this show is. The original series, the BBC's Viva la Blackpool is well acted, original, and surreal. It is a joy to watch. I would highly recommend it.

There have been a lot of British shows that have been butchered by their American adaptations, but none have missed the mark as badly as Viva Laughlin. The original works because the music punctuates the feelings of an otherwise very serious and dark story. The result is surreal and edgy.

Laughlin is a painful over the top Broadwayisation of the original. Laughlin's horrible acting and reworked script makes it impossible for you to connect to any of the characters.

Laughlin fails miserably at capturing any of the emotion or beauty of the BBC version.

Soap Opera or musical, they can't decide

Author: joanna-71 from United States
18 October 2007

It would be almost decent if the actors would stop bursting into cheesy (and I'm talking extra cheese with a side of cheddar) musical/dance numbers every five minutes. I'm not kidding.

I can understand how Melanie Griffith (playing a character named "Bunny" - yeah, a real stretch!) and Wings Hauser (the kiss of death to any show) would be desperate enough to sign up for this train wreck, but Hugh Jackman? At least he has talent.

I'm all for trying out new concepts for TV shows, especially because the industry is so resistant to innovation. But with innovation comes a lot of flops. And Viva Laughlin is the flip-floppiest!

Sorry, guys! Try again!

Fun--in a train-wreck sort of way

Author: sdlitvin from Lowell, MA
27 October 2007

Viva Laughlin is fun to watch, but only in the same way that the movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is fun to watch: It's such a train wreck, you can have fun seeing how bad it gets: The premise is uninteresting. The characters are uninteresting. Most of the musical numbers are lamely choreographed without flair or style. The dialogue is hilariously bad, replete with clichés and bizarre mixed metaphors.

The one bright note (pun intended) in Viva Laughlin is Hugh Jackman's delightfully cheesy interpretation of a gangster-businessman and his rendition of "Sympathy for the Devil." Unfortunately, that character is not a regular character so he would not appear that often.

The other major actors are just awful--and so is the show.

A lot of fun. Sorry it's gone

Author: kanespock from United States
29 October 2007

Was the show cheesy? Yes -- of course it was. How could something with its premise not be? That said... I had a smile on my face the whole time. Too many of the shows now have such dark themes, sets, etc... that you end up enrapt in the plot, but depressed about the state of the world. Viva Laughlin dealt with real life themes, but made the whole process fun. It had an excellent cast, the sound track and performances were witty and professionally executed. For all that the plot included some heavy issues, it was not an intense show and left you feeling well entertained. I wanted to applaud after Fontana's opening number.

Again, I'm sorry its gone. I'm not surprised, but I am sorry.

a shame it was dropped

Author: kolddude from United States
26 October 2007

It had a few faults but I think the concept was good- nice to see a new approach with a little singing and dancing added. How can they drop this and leave on the vampires, ghost whisperers etc on other shows.This was much more interesting. Melanie Griffith's portrayal as an over the hill vamp was outstanding. The detective stalking the wife with the excuse of trying to trick her up on her hubby s alibi is weak because he appears to be more interested in seducing her- Come on she stuck with her husband through all the tough times- she does not come off as a candidate for seduction. Oh yes, where exactly is the Laughlin Police Dept??

DIFFERENT Makes it fun and interesting

Author: bgm2005 from United States
24 October 2007

Lambast the singing all you want, but that's exactly what makes this show something different to watch. I applaud the execs who had the guts to try something off the mainstream. Everyone knows Las Vegas is hot, and NBC already has that cornered.. so why try to compete with the same format? All of you who complain about the singing are missing the point, totally. I expect that every person (men usually) who say they can't stomach musicals have deep down inside, in that dark closet, a soft spot for song in a movie. Or a TV show in this case.

Yeah, it didn't work in Cop Rock, because WE ALL know what cops are supposed to be like. And singing cops is just plain weird.

But the characters in Viva are meant to be cartoonish- almost larger than life... I mean, how many Nevada casino owners do you know? And who says what they're supposed to be like? Most casino owner stereotypes are built of fiction. So why is it so far fetched that they break out into a number once in a while? It's a refreshing change of pace in a TV show, and for that reason alone, I say it deserves a FAIR shake!

Viva Laughlin - Refreshing

Author: imac85 from United States
28 October 2007

Very enjoyable. The combination of musical and series was refreshing. Is there another episode in the making? I hate being left hanging. The plot is interesting and light. Viva Laughlin also had a comic part to it. It's fun and creates enough curiosity to watch the next episode. It didn't have too many characters, which often makes these shows too confusing. Viva Lauglin is different from the ordinary television show. I think it could be a hit if it was advertised showing the musical parts of it. As long as the musical scenes aren't overdone I think it will be fine. The type of music that was used was excellent. I am glad it wasn't too opera like. The Viva Laughlin's cast is interesting and adds to the show.

Very Strange

Author: lreiselt from United States
20 October 2007

Viva Laughlin is perhaps the most strange new show to come along in quite some time. Lloyd Owen, who was excellent in Monarch of the Glenn is terrible in this role. He does perhaps the worst job ever for an English actor attempting to do an American accent. Close on his heels is executive producer/ actor Hugh Jackman. Both come off sounding totally flat and could do to take some voice lessons. While they're at the lessons, perhaps some singing lessons would also be in order. The show has an annoying habit of the actors spontaneously launching into song at totally irrelevant times. Thus far all the singing has been terrible with the only bright spot being Elvis singing back-up. Think of the t.v. show Las Vegas on a really bad hair day combined with Grease and High School Musical. It's not a pleasant combination.

The overall plot is generally interesting and there are some big name actors involved but the package as a whole probably appeals to far few people to be viable.

could be a good show

Author: masufa123 from United States
21 October 2007

I had never heard of this show before,I stumbled onto it trying to find something on at 8pm Sunday night. I don't know if they are advertising it very much. This could be a really good show if they would stop SINGING! I like the plot and the characters are OK although I have only heard of Mellody Griffith before,and the acting is well done, I just don't know how long I can hang with them bursting out in song right in the middle of a dramatic scene. Wasn't there a show that tried this before? Some kind of court show,right in the middle of the trial the lawyer would start to sing. I didn't watch that one either. I hope the Writers or Producers (not sure which ones make that kind of decision (SP)).