IMDb > Ponyo (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gake no ue no Ponyo

Ponyo More at IMDbPro »Gake no ue no Ponyo (original title)

An unusual tale of romance and serendipity!

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
18 April 2015

Another great piece from Hayao Miyazaki, it is difficult to not to love Studio Ghibli productions because Ponyo (2008) is immensely lovely and fantastically magical. This is certainly what happens when imagination meets creativity and animation.

An unusual tale of romance and serendipity, two children from different worlds met and their lives changed forever. It might be unconventional but all of the scenes will only leave us think that the precious entity called life is equally strange and beautiful.

As tradition, the stunning visuals combined with amazing film score and voice casts make the anime story conceivable. With plenty of endearing characters, fictional sea creatures and unexpected scenes including exotic ancient fishes coming to life at various points, one can never help themselves to take delight in watching Ponyo (2008).

However, Ponyo (2008) is also filled with horrific elements even though most of the time it is light-hearted. The many important social and environmental messages might have concealed those but what's sad is that ultimately, the happy ending makes it easy to overlook the damage and disaster caused especially when the absorbing visuals and story has already effectively distract most audiences from thinking about them from the start.

If you love the elements of child-likeness and innocence, these two destined future lovers are surely pleasant. Although Sōsuke is just five, he is very independent just like many Japanese children out there. Then, Ponyo the goldfish with human face might not be familiar with the land but she learns and adapts well. Her transformation is just so magical and she is super adorable and kind-hearted!

As a whole, Ponyo (2008) is charming on its own unique way. Although it has a simplistic ending which I usually do not like, I am sure you will find yourself liking this anime film. Why? Honestly, I am not easily pleased even though I might seem to be lenient in writing movie reviews sometimes but this anime film is terrifyingly good! It is one of my favorite now! If only the ending is not that simple, Ponyo (2008) could easily become my #1 favorite Studio Ghibli film and unthrone Grave of the Fireflies (1988) and Spirited Away (2001) from my top two.