IMDb > Wedding Slashers (2006) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wedding Slashers (V) More at IMDbPro »

Wedding Slashers is a keeper

Author: lisaforever07 from United States
20 November 2006

This is a throwback. There was a time when horror films were gritty, exploitive, funny, nasty, and had moments so bad they were good. And boobs. They showed BOOBS! If you're not expecting Devil's Rejects or the Grudge or any other modern and slick horror, you will find Wedding Slashers watchable. "Wedding Slashers" is a direct descendant of those trashy, low budget 70s horror films. Catchy title, cute girls, nudity, blood, a big old knife on the artwork.

The movie opens with a flashback. A bride and a groom with not a nickel to rub together are heading to Vegas, running away from home to get married. They don't make it. They are exterminated by a gas mask, cloak wearing, Darth Vader sounding killer. He spouts some nonsense about love and then abruptly splits the brides head open like a watermelon. You practically see the seeds. Moving forward in time we meet another Bride. Every man she's every loved has died a mysterious death. Without ruining the end, the fate of her fiancé hangs in balance. Will the mystery be solved and will our love birds tie the knot before the bloody finale? The plot is simple. The performances are raw but more often than not, good. This production value is minimal, the technical aspects – besides a nice 5.1 surround mix, there are none. The gore is sometimes shocking, sometimes campy, and usually entertaining.

The charm in this is that a bunch of first timers (At least their previous credits don't add up to much) have made a little movie that pretty much works. You can see the missteps, but they are never boring or offensive. I would have liked to see more of the strippers at the bachelor party. Of course, it would have been nice to see more of the bride. There's a shower scene and for some reason, they don't show below her shoulders!! She's too cute to keep covered up. But despite those major drawbacks, Wedding Slashers is a keeper.

Bring Back the Good Old Days

Author: bababear from United States
19 February 2011

This is an unpretentious little film, made on no budget at all by actors who were probably paid pizza and beer for their work. Considering all that, it's surprisingly well realized.

The acting is all over the place. Think about your last trip to see a performance when the local community theater did a show in the junior high auditorium. And imagine if the actresses there were willing to work topless.

The two leads- Alex and Jenna- were actually very well played. Richard Lynch makes a surprise appearance in Act III as (surprise) a very bad person. The actor playing Jenna's therapist was terrible. The other performances were a mixed lot.

Imagine if MEET THE PARENTS had been rewritten for Greg to have to kill off Pam's entire family in order to gain her hand. The plot is completely insane (bonus points) and evens the odds by making the bad guys the product of generations of inbreeding.

One of the things that brings this up to eight star level is that it has an actual ENDING. It's done, it's over, and the very few characters left alive can count the events of the disastrous wedding day as being in the past. There's no knowing wink, no door left open for a sequel. The story line is actually tied up in a knot and resolved. That's very rare these days.

That's not to say that this is really a polished piece of work. The pacing is sometimes uneven and at one point full daylight becomes darkest night with a huge full moon: there was the strangest feeling at that transition that a big chunk of material got edited out.

But WEDDING SLASHERS is a nice, workmanlike tribute to the slasher movies of the 1980's and if you can see it for free (like I did streaming Netflix) that makes it even better.

Slasher film fails to make the cut

Author: djderka from United States
26 December 2010

The timing seemed off in this movie.

Lip Sync was off as was some of the dialog and action. And there were weird cutaways from slasher moments. Climax music came in late after a killing.

EXTERIOR: NIGHT Two redneck brothers talked about their toes in one scene. One brother said he had three toes and took off his shoes to count them. The redneck discovers he has five toes. The hero sneaks in from behind to stab him. He should have CUT two of his toes off and said, "You were right the first time, you only have three", whilst he is screaming in horror. There were lots of these "missed moments".

Lots of missed moments created a dull and uninspiring movie. The movie was shot on video, probability for a horror film festival like DARK CARNIVAL, it need more verve. Some OK bloody scenes but was it a comedy or horror movie. You can do both, but it helps if Sam Raimi directs.

The Bride was emotionally stoic throughout. Could use some banging action with her. Lighting and sound track were good, tho. And yes, there were boobs.

Should have stayed a comedy...

Author: innocuous from Raleigh, NC, USA
27 February 2008

I've read on IMDb and some other sites that this movie was originally intended to be more of a comedy, but that portions were re-shot and it was edited to be more of a slasher film. I don't know if that's true, but I will say that the best portions of this film are those left over from the "comedy" version. Some of the exposition and conversations are quite (intentionally) funny. I especially like the explanation of why the groom's parents, sister, and grandmother all hate the best man. Low-key, but classic.

Other than the funny moments, there's not much here. The gore is pretty amateurish, though plentiful. The plot makes no sense. And the scenes seem to switch back and forth between different sides of the same house, which is used as a remote cabin, a church, a fellowship hall, a school, and a couple different homes. It's cheerfully cheesy.

Worth seeing if you don't have anything else available, but don't put it on your preferred list.

Not Bad!

Author: pchibbard
17 April 2007

I never write in these user boards because what I feel is usually summed up by other members or critics so there is little relevatory info to give but this movie was one of the greatest gaps between expectations and results I have ever had.

THis movie had three bad things going for it. A) it was direct to DVD horror film. B) it was named after a play on words from a major motion picture which is never a good sign. and C) it looks like it was shot on a home video camera that has been dropped.

BUT it works because it does not take itself seriously and is really funny. You can tell the guys behind this film have a great sense of humor. They also drop references to films that lead to a debate about the sex of a ape named Coco. They really had a good time making this and you will have an equally good time watching it. Do yourself a favor and rent this.

I like crap, but this is garbage

Author: 1maxpower from United States
25 November 2006

I watch a lot of horror movies and lately there really is no shortage of them to see. But this was a horrible movie. The blood and violence being the only thing that made it worth while. The acting was beyond high school bad, there were a couple scenes that you could tell the actors were just improving (poorly) and I never notice costumes, but they were some of the worst I've ever seen it this movie. Googles and a face shield? What the hell? I never turn off a movie no matter how bad it is but I almost did for this one. Who ever has there name attached to this movie in any way should probably be lined up and shot.

But that's just my opinion.

Lackluster slasher wash-out

21 June 2010

This movie suffers from an obvious identity problem. Sometimes it tries to be funny and succeeds in being reasonably amusing in a cheerfully lowbrow sort of way. But more often it attempts to be a serious and straightforward slice'n'dice item that just doesn't work because of a plodding pace, uneven tone, extremely variable acting, and tacky gore. Director Carlos Scott, working from a sloppy script by Robert Paul Medrano, crucially fails to build any much needed tension or creepy atmosphere. The cast struggle gamely with the poor material: Jessica Kinney as the troubled Jenna and Ross Kelly as Jenna's sweet fiancé Alex make for appealing leads, Billy Garberina is a raunchy hoot as Alex's rowdy best buddy Tully, and Richard Lynch greatly enlivens the few scenes he's in as Jenna's evil and sinister father. It doesn't help that Jenna's crazed inbred hillbilly family are a bunch of severely underdeveloped one-note redneck stereotypes. Richard Griffin's pedestrian cinematography and Karl Hittorf's generic shivery score are both also below par. 90's direct-to-video movie starlet Maria Ford is sadly wasted in a minor part as a ditsy hick chick. Hell, not even a decent smattering of gratuitous female nudity can alleviate the general tedium of this draggy and uneventful dud. A real clinker.

Some movie

Author: iamcarter05 from United States
20 November 2006

I like some horror movies and I'm used to the movies I see in theaters. This is for sure a very low budget movie. My girlfriend had the DVD and told me to lower my expectations and that I would have to meet the movie halfway. And I did. And I would have to say the movie is definitely halfway good. There's not much romance. There's not much of a wedding at all. Everyone is killed before they even get inside the chapel. But I must say that their are some hilarious lines and good scene. I can't say I found it scary, but I wanted to know how it was all going to end. I probably should have had more to drink and I would give it 6 stars, not 5.

Some movie

Author: iamcarter05 from United States

An Ode to Past Horror Films

Author: sheckyicecream from United States
19 December 2006

And you thought your significant other's family was weird? Wedding Slashers will make you think twice about ever saying "I do." It is reminiscent of past horror titles such as 'Deadly Friend' and 'Friday the 13th.' It is a classic slasher film that features characters with names like 'Sock Monkey' and 'The Mortician.' You may laugh at first but trust me, these guys will freak you out. This is a quencher for the blood-thirsty horror/slasher fan that needs to see gore, gore and more gore. It's not all slash and gash either - Wedding Slashers is chock-full-of one-liners and will give you more than just a chuckle. You're going to need to see this one to believe it.